Tesla Model Y Nov 2019

David

Tesla Model Y Nov 2019

According to a story on Autoblog which talked off the record to auto suppliers, Tesla has asked for quoting on supplying parts for the Tesla Y which will go into production Nov 2019 according to the RFI.

Tesla Y story

Seems Musk thinks he can produce 500,000 auto's off the building in Fremont California which is currently producing the Tesla S, X and 3. Now he wants to add the Y to this when they struggle to build the 3 in sufficient quantities.

This makes me wonder how much business will be stolen by SF motors and their EV CUVs that will be built at an existing Hummer assembly plant they acquired and are currently renovating to build the SF5 & SF7? If SF Motors can get pre-production versions started this summer with production in the 4th quarter of this year for auto's to be on sale in Spring 2019, this could really pinch Tesla and their attempt to raise $2 billion in additional cash as they stated to build the Tesla Y.

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Well, Tesla has brand identity and cache in the public consciousness.  The general public has no idea what SF Motors is. 

True as they are the new Kid on the Block, but I agree with Drew that the only Model they could be building in a few months is the BK model.

I will say that with SF Motors having two assembly sites almost already to start production and taking a more traditional Auto building approach to getting production up and running before delivery / sales begins, they could surpass Tesla Quickly and since it is the Original Tesla Owner and a new Partner that is doing this, I bet that the guy wants to stick it to Tesla. 🤔

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What's the Y supposed to be? Is this their pickup? 

That is their CUV to compliment the Tesla 3. Just as the X is to compliment the S.

Yea, they really need a better naming system. 3 & Y is one family and X & S another family. 🙄

It's because it spells out S 3 X Y. It was supposed to be S E X Y but Mercedes owns the rights to the "E". 

Good to know. I knew there were rumors of a truck so I didn't know. I never heard of a small CUV until now. That would be a pretty attractive offering to the public, another CUV. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's because it spells out S 3 X Y. It was supposed to be S E X Y but Mercedes owns the rights to the "E". 

Good to know. I knew there were rumors of a truck so I didn't know. I never heard of a small CUV until now. That would be a pretty attractive offering to the public, another CUV. 

The truck is still on the planning roadmap, but not till 2020 last I had heard.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I heard that too. Elon was mildly suggesting that in an interview. But I am curious about that statement he made.

Yes...he did say that E belonged to Mercedes, and its true. But...doesnt S also belong to Mercedes? 

E Class.. Yes. There is an E Class Mercedes. But isnt there an S Class Mercedes too?

I have understood for awhile now why there are some that think Elon is such a dick. I, admittedly, took some time to also think that.  I like his vision for Tesla. (Minus the autonomous driving BS...although I do see the benefits of autonomous driving). Its the other shyte that he does that irks the hell out of me. And when he does shyte like that, like that Space X stunt, I feel like he takes away from Tesla. And yes, I agree with many that see those stunts as just stunts, and taking away from Tesla. 

I read another article that he said running Tesla was a mistake. He gave different reasons on why that decision was a mistake. One reason he mentioned is that his thinking that running a start-up car company thinking it will succeed was ridicoulos at best and that maybe, he shouldnt have invested all that time in the first place. He made it seem like making Tesla succeed is a pipe dream???!!!

I cannot call him an idiot, because he clearly is NOT an idiot. But he is a just a story teller. He gets to make the movie on the story he tells by actually producing physically the story he unravels, but a story teller non the less...

Why?

Well...

Space X is a pipe dream...yes...he did make it happen...but did he?

Continual space travel is EXPENSIVE...

NASA...dropped it. 

NASA...

UNLIMITED  U.S. of A.  money and NASA in the end quit. Because once the US government deemed space travel a money pit, that was it for NASA going to the moon, let all one to Mars...

Space X is a MONEY pit! 

That underground tunnel shyte he wants to build and that tube travelling thing (pneumatic tube system for humans?)... as if that is not a pipe dream? Pun intended!  These concepts make Star Wars & Star Trek seem realistic.

And the more he puts his energy and money into crap like that, HE REALLY REALLY DOES TESLA an INJUSTICE.

All the time and money he has wasted in those pet projects, (and Tesla IS just another pet project) Tesla would have REALLY been a full fledged American car maker TODAY as we speak instead of fearfully and rightfully so of being just a footnote in the automotive history books.  

He should just sell off Tesla to some automotive giant that could use Tesla's proprietary engineering, cachet, battery factory to be, vast charging stations, vast consumer to be presence so all that hard work the TRUE engineers, workers, marketing peeps, future ideas and concepts dont go to waste.  

ANY of the big manufacturers COULD use all that intellect. They could use Tesla the badge to sell their EVs or just gut the company...but at least Tesla ideas, especially future ideas will not be lost.

He is an idiot to NOT KNOW WHAT THE PHOQUE HE HAS IN TESLA!!!  TESLA as a brand, in my opinion, IS BIGGER THAN PAYPAL!!!  Tesla...after a relative short life so far, has a brand cachet as big as a 911 Porsche. Corvette, Mustang, Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW...Kleenex, Frigidaire, Band Aid, Coca Cola...

Tesla is synonymous with fast, electric cars...

Yes...Tesla is THAT big in my eyes. 

Rant over! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

He already released Tesla intellectual property to public domain. There is nothing for other companies to buy.

I thought that while it is in public domain, there is also still a small royalty that has to be paid or am I missing something else? :scratchchin:

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I thought that while it is in public domain, there is also still a small royalty that has to be paid or am I missing something else? :scratchchin:

I don't know the details of it, just that it is no longer a giant financial asset for Tesla to bank on. 

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't know the details of it, just that it is no longer a giant financial asset for Tesla to bank on. 

OK, found it on their site and they truly say their tech is free.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

So anyone just like that Chinese company can use their tech to build EVs and sell them and no ability for Tesla to sue them. This is based on the hope that more companies building EV auto's would push Tesla auto's allowing them to make coin!

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I always forget Tesla makes their proprietary engineering public. 

Is that a good thing for Tesla's bottom line?  

I think it is immaterial to their bottom line, but it does make them a less likely acquisition target.  Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I always forget Tesla makes their proprietary engineering public. 

Is that a good thing for Tesla's bottom line?  

Tesla has started to sell their power trains to EV conversion companies so there are many places you can now buy the AWD Tesla system with controller modules and convert any auto you want with a Tesla Power Train and Tesla Battery pack.

25 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Tesla has started to sell their power trains to EV conversion companies so there are many places you can now buy the AWD Tesla system with controller modules and convert any auto you want with a Tesla Power Train and Tesla Battery pack.

Oh yeah?   

Their electric motors?  Their battery module system? Their AWD system that connects the batteries and the motors and the drivetrain in general?  All the computer computing power to enable 335 mile range and ludicrous mode?  (obviously those times are probably not gonna be duplicated on the particular EV conversion car one wants to convert. Maybe...Maybe bested too?)

You mean one could have a Tesla Model S P100D in any body shell one wants?

That is awesome!!!

However, I read an article about Porsche's EV sedan and those engineers sneered and laughed at the Model S...

They said that their sedan will have more than 2 or 3 neck snapping  drag race runs that will best the Model S P100D ludicrous mode times. They laughed that the Model S could only achieve those runs 2 or 3 times before having to recharge. Their sedan will be able to do that multiple times. 

OK...I find what the Porsche engineers are saying as just plain stupid talk...the Model S has been with us since 2012. 6 years... 

Their effort is still in concept mode...

So still awesome that one could convert a classic muscle car if one chooses without resorting to a junk yard to find a totaled Model S...(because laugh at Tesla all we want, the Model S in ludicrous mode is one helluva beast of a machine...)

The Porsche sedan will probably be a beast machine too...it ought to be though!  They have 6 years of newer engineering technology and the Model S to start off with to best the Model S with...

The thing is, the next generation Tesla roadster will showcase Tesla's next generation tech too...and that tech will most probably make itself into a Tesla Model S...

The Model S will probably suffer with the same body shell though. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1