Chevrolet News:CVT To Only Be Available On 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Destined For Fleets

Back in December, we reported on General Motors' VIN decoder for the 2019 model year. One of the interesting bits was the 2019 Chevrolet Cruze getting a CVT. We speculated at the time that the transmission would appear in a Eco model. But when GM announced the 2019 Cruze in April, there was no mention of the CVT. The only transmission news was that the six-speed manual had been dropped. Was the mention of the CVT a misprint? Nope.

“There were a small number of Cruzes built with a CVT for fleet use only which is why the option is disclosed on the EPA website,” explained Katie Minter, Chevrolet spokeswoman to CarsDirect.

The CVT option doesn't offer any significant improvement in terms of fuel economy - it only raises the combined figure from 32 to 33.

Source: CarsDirect

View full article

So the CVT is a profit move for a cheaper transmission. Sadly it will also give a bad impression since they suck. Wish GM would have not done this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

So the CVT is a profit move for a cheaper transmission. Sadly it will also give a bad impression since they suck. Wish GM would have not done this.

OK. Who rents out small cars like the Cruze anyway?  I'd rather rent out an Impala any day of the week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

OK. Who rents out small cars like the Cruze anyway?  I'd rather rent out an Impala any day of the week.

Fleets also include municipal government purchases, various companies, etc...not all are rentals.   Some people like to rent the cheapest car they can.  I prefer at least a Malibu sized car when renting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, dfelt said:

yes, i have determined they are doing this to make cheap trannies in mexico and they are going to force them into GM's product line, like it or not.

A good cruze uplevel performance option would be the 1.5t from the terrain with the 9 speed auto.

18 hours ago, riviera74 said:

i've rented that class before. Lots of Sentras, Corollas etc. get rented as well as Cruze.  GM wants to get these out in the wild and fleets are one way to do it