A 2018 Cadillac CT6 Premium Luxury w/Super Cruise Review

49 minutes ago, ykX said:

I have to say while I am not into large cars but CT6 looks awesome.  It is a real shame GM is killing it.

Obviously I feel the same. Thing is that despite its death, the car is slated to have enuff inventory to go into 2020. I would propose that Cadillac kill all the lower models and only have the mid to platinum models. And for all Cadillacs.. Be done with that rubberized steering wheel cover. Go with the one I have in my V, covered in leather. 

• Agree 4

I agree, Cadillacs should all be forced induction.

Love the pics and the review and the review video!

Cadillac is so foolish if they kill this car.  And i don't think they will.  I think they will bring it from China.  They've done enough fixes that the car deserves to live.  They need to price and package it for more sales volume.

Your comments about the 3.6 are interesting.  I tested a Regal GS this weekend and didn't like the 3.6, didn't like it in the LaCrosse either.  Most GM's with the 3.6 I can't like much.  But I am intrigued by how you say this CT6 performs.

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

I agree, Cadillacs should all be forced induction.

Love the pics and the review and the review video!

Cadillac is so foolish if they kill this car.  And i don't think they will.  I think they will bring it from China.  They've done enough fixes that the car deserves to live.  They need to price and package it for more sales volume.

Your comments about the 3.6 are interesting.  I tested a Regal GS this weekend and didn't like the 3.6, didn't like it in the LaCrosse either.  Most GM's with the 3.6 I can't like much.  But I am intrigued by how you say this CT6 performs.

Thanks. I have driven other brand luxury cars with their comparable V6s, and have long come to the conclusion that Forced induction was a smoother delivery system for those vehicles vs the 3.6L being avail in any of the Cadillacs. Point of fact.. I enjoyed the 2.0L Turbo in the ATS more than I enjoyed the 3.6L. The 3.0L TT, 3.6L TT in both LF3 and LF4 configs is sublime, and it always baffled me why GM/Cadillac didn't utilize all of those choices more and keep the 3.6L NA in the other brands.

The 2.0L @ 300HP.. the 3.0L @ 350- 400HP.. the 3.6LTT @ 420- 465HP .. 6.2L S/C @ 650HP. That's all they needed and it would have covered every base with available engine choice.

That being said.. the CT6 with the engine was fine in terms of performance, but it felt no more special in engine delivery than my Impala. This is the issue that GM needs to work out. Ironically it has engines in service to do this.. and has had them for several years

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Cadillac should be ALL IN on the 3.0tt .  I did drive a CTS recently with the 3.6 that actually surprised me, smooth and quiet.  So i can't figure out why so many of the other GM's I have tested recently with the 3.6 weren't as smooth and quiet as the CTS.

This is actually pretty easy, they do use various quality of parts on the power train that make a major difference on how an auto drives and handles. Perfect example is my Escalade glides compared to the Chevrolet Suburban.

According to GM, they use a higher quality bearing packs that allow a smooth glide when not under acceleration so the auto goes farther.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Cadillac should be ALL IN on the 3.0tt .  I did drive a CTS recently with the 3.6 that actually surprised me, smooth and quiet.  So i can't figure out why so many of the other GM's I have tested recently with the 3.6 weren't as smooth and quiet as the CTS.

FWD. Seriously.. The only difference in my Impala 3.6L is that I have changed the exhaust.. and it feels as smooth and powerful. It feels right for a Chevy or Buick. The 3.6L in the Camaro is a nice and powerful tool.. but in the Cadillacs I've driven that also have a forced induction option.. going to them with a 3.6L just didn't feel as special.. and by special I mean luxo. Put it to U like this. I've driven the XT5 with the 3.6L and it was very nice.. Nicer IMO than the 3.5L in the RX, MDX, and almost as nice as the 3.0L in the X5, but the 3.0L TT in the BMW felt smoother. Probably the torque. I'm sure it was the torque. BUT ALAS.. that's the thing. Cadillac has a 3.0L TT too.. and its more powerful and more torquey. They could detune for competitive variations. 350HP to 404HP

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This was my point in terms of engine choices. Using the 7Series and starting with the 740i

3.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder 320 hp @ 5500 rpm. Torque: 332 ft-lbs

what GM did was (and I'm skipping the non-existent 2.0L Turbo that I have found to be a White Wolf on dealer lots in the area) They gave us the 3.6L 335 HP. @ 6800 RPM. Torque: 284 ft lb.

^^^ @ 4100lbs C&D got 0-60 in 5.9secs 

The 740i @ 4650lbs does it in 5.4secs.. WHY? Cause of all that torque

What should Caddy have done? Instead of the 3.6L.. send it over to Chevy and Buick and be done.. installed a 3.0L TT with say 350HP and a most probable 355 ft-lbs of.. VIOLA!!! The CT6 would have destroyed the BMW in that acceleration contest

Vs the 750i? Back then I would have easily said go with the 3.6L TT V6 LF4 @ 464HP vs the BMW 750 with its 4.4-liter BMW TT V-8, @ 443-hp engine.. Yes the BMW would still have more  torque, but the Caddy being lighter and having a 20 HP advantage would at least hold its own. As it stands the BMW 750 0-60 is 4.6 secs, the Cadillac CT6 3.0L TT is 5.0 Secs. Ya think 60 more HP would have helped it clobber that BMW? I do.

Now of course Cadillac has a 4.2L TT V8 ready with 500 hp and 553 lb-ft. THAT!!! is the 750i competitor imo. 

The 760i (and Alpina B7) would be the CT6-V's boy.. boasting less HP by 50, but besting in torque by almost 40 ft-lbs. NOTE: Why is BMW continuing to use the V12 when I've heard from a few colleagues who have driven(or owned) both the 760i and B7, reporting back that the V8 in the B7 is ever bit as smooth and more efficient?

Anyway.. all that being said, I expect that the tests of the CT6-V bring more questions than answers. As in "WHY THE f@#k.. is Cadillac killing this perfection?"

One more thing... INTERIORS:

I have said it on more than one occasion.. all of the complaints some people have with interiors and refinement in Cadillacs always.. and I mean always (with exception to the instrument cluster in the ATS-V) seems to die when U experience it in a V. Even the Platinum. The walk from even an XT5 to an XT5 Platinum makes one say.. why is Cadillac not using this platinum interior (or V) in all their cars/suvs above a Luxury model. In fact, kill the Standard and luxury models and start with Premium Lux, Platinum, and V

• Agree 3

What a pretty fantastic review of this car from AUTOMOBILE MAG.. essentially saying that a CT6 Platinum would be an S-Class if not for CUE.. which I personally didn't have an issue with, but I also didn't look for any radio stations because I keep my own playlists on a 32GB flash drive

2018-Cadillac-CT6-Platinum-AWD-14.jpg?in

and CT6-V look over at LA Autoshow. CADILLAC U ARE AN IDIOT FOR KILLING THIS CAR

• Agree 3

I've seen a half dozen CT6s in the last week...they are striking.  Saw one in a dark red Saturday night in a parking garage.   Fit right in amongst the German luxury cars around it.  Love the headlight pattern at night when I see one coming up behind..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I've seen a half dozen CT6s in the last week...they are striking.  Saw one in a dark red Saturday night in a parking garage.   Fit right in amongst the German luxury cars around it.  Love the headlight pattern at night when I see one coming up behind..

Of course. Since the announcement I've been seeing more and more of them. Its kind of weird. Point blank they really need to rethink a lot of their decisions pertaining to closing certain plants.. and killing certain vehicles. This and the Impala should be saved. The Impala utilizing the Omega platform, slightly smaller (or Alpha-L), and with less power and amenities. In line completely with the Charger as a better alternative to that old bones vehicle. Complete with an LT4 powered SS-R to kick the HellCat's ass

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

They are gorgeous indeed.

3 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Of course. Since the announcement I've been seeing more and more of them. Its kind of weird. Point blank they really need to rethink a lot of their decisions pertaining to closing certain plants.. and killing certain vehicles. This and the Impala should be saved. The Impala utilizing the Omega platform, slightly smaller (or Alpha-L), and with less power and amenities. In line completely with the Charger as a better alternative to that old bones vehicle. Complete with an LT4 powered SS-R to kick the HellCat's ass

God I love the way you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

@Cmicasa the Great Cadillac of Korea is just killing it in marketing and advertising. The US arm needs to learn a lesson on how to bring in customers.

Cadillac's American IG account is pretty tho. The problem with Cadillac is their TV spots. The almost non-existent ones. They need to be on every Football game for CT6, CTS, and Escalade.. if that C8 we keep seeing has a Cadillac twin.. Football game premiere.. Every talk show spot and Power, and Empire episode.. XT5, XT4, and ATS Coupe

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They are gorgeous indeed.

God I love the way you think.

Thank U. My GF keeps telling me.. "Its too bad U didn't take that Johan guy's place." I tell her.. the only way I'd do it is if I had full run of the brand, with that $12Billion Budget and Tadge and Al Oppenheiser would be at my beck and call. I'd hire the designers from Hermes' for interior, but also I'd have Timberland on call for all the trucks.. Call Ed Welburn back outta retirement.. Bob Lutz would be an advisor.. and that move back to Detroit would be nixed.. back to NYC. The addition of names would be substituted for those letters.:

Scrap the BS Letters. Fuc k the European naming scheme. 

CT3 = Converj

CT3 Coupe with optional Convertible=Solitaire
CT5= Imaj
CT5 Coupe with optional Convertible= Evoq
CT6 with optional 4dr Convertible= Ciel
CT8= Sixteen
Mid-Engine= Cien
XT4= Agile

XT5-Provoq
XT6= Vizon

Escalade

Everything has EV model, utilizing that Engine set up from the EV Camaro

and I've never seen this before.. its a Caddy Concept from '09

World-Thorium-Fuel-Concept-750x424.jpgCadillac World Thorium Fuel Concept

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Thank U. My GF keeps telling me.. "Its too bad U didn't take that Johan guy's place." I tell her.. the only way I'd do it is if I had full run of the brand, with that $12Billion Budget and Tadge and Al Oppenheiser would be at my beck and call. I'd hire the designers from Hermes' for interior, but also I'd have Timberland on call for all the trucks.. Call Ed Welburn back outta retirement.. Bob Lutz would be an advisor.. and that move back to Detroit would be nixed.. back to NYC. The addition of names would be substituted for those letters.:

Scrap the BS Letters. Fuc k the European naming scheme. 

CT3 = Converj

CT3 Coupe with optional Convertible=Solitaire
CT5= Imaj
CT5 Coupe with optional Convertible= Evoq
CT6 with optional 4dr Convertible= Ciel
CT8= Sixteen
Mid-Engine= Cien
XT4= Agile

XT5-Provoq
XT6= Vizon

Escalade

Everything has EV model, utilizing that Engine set up from the EV Camaro

As a lover of convertibles, you would get my vote.  CT5 Coupe....HELL YES!

• Like 2

Does alphanumeric naming actually evoke images of luxury more so than actual names? It is a questioned I've pondered since Cadillac brought forth the G1 CTS.

The issue, I think with names, stemmed from Cadillacs, Acuras, and Lincoln wishing to appeal to the luxo buying crowd by emulating the Europeans. In addition, the idea was to have focus laid squarely on the Brand name and not the car. To say "I drive a BMW," even if was a 3 series, ends up giving a bolster to the entire brand. Saying "I drive a Seville," in the modern age of 50 different brands, took focus off the Cadillac brand. Of course an argument could be made that having individual names serves as a bolster to the overall substance of the car group because it gives them individualism that could in turn served to elevate the brand, and the owner of each car to a more exclusive feel of not just having a "number and letter" combination. With Cadillac there is no real consistency with the naming scheme anyway. Why not go back to names? Some will argue for the classic names like Deville, and Fleetwood. The Classics are only classics to those who fancy themselves Enthusiasts. The buying public might see the name Fleetwood to be to reminiscent of Grand-dad or granny. 

I digress. what luxury brand actually have Names and not alphanumeric other than Bentley and Rolls? I could see Cadillac pulling off a helluva revolution with that one gesture. 

If anything it shows great deal of creativity creating a car around the euphoria of a name. Hell... You can't be a guy name Duke, and not be tough. You can't be a girl named Alexis, and not be sexy. You damn sure can't be a car named "Ciel", and not be elegant 

In truth the only one that would be difficult would be the CTS due to it being very established. If GM get the word out to the Media, perhaps going so far as to ask them their opinions on record, they could circumvent any of the usual smartass comments magazine writers come up with in their commentaries. 

#######################################

With billions on Advertising.. GM just focus that money for one year on INFORMATION only ads. I mean literally having ads that are brand based that literally inform the customer. Straight to the dome. I'm talking about taking a film crew into the engineer, design, and marketing rooms... fly on the wall of what U are offering, but without, obviously, giving away secret sauce.

My commercial would open "MTV style," 5th Symphony "DEM DEM DEM DOOOOM" with marketing guys talking in a conference room, Cadillac logo HUGE on the wall..:

This is the new Cadillac Solitaire. We used to call it ATS, but following, not leading, led us down a stark, Teutonic mishmash of alphabet soup. Teutonic? Cadillac is CADILLAC. AMERICAN. Americans have names..

2) Next cut to engineering: 

We wanted a car that could corner like on rails, do 0-60 sprints like a bat out of hell, had an uncompromising ride that didn't jar U back into the days of stone wheels on a Yaba-Daba-Doo mobile. Fuel efficient, and laden with technology. (Each time the narrator says something, the camera pans to the car doing just that.. whether a quick maneuver on the track, a sprint, a serine ride up the cost, and then a quick view of CUE.) 

3) Next cut to Design... etc

"At the end we got the AT... er... Solitaire.." narrator clears throat and laughs slightly.

• Agree 2