Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

February Car Spotting

Just now, Robert Hall said:

They were from L.A..West Coast hip hop...their lead rapper Everlast had some solo success..

Los Angeles.... I was waaaaaay off.  LOL

Dont know Everlast as a soloist either. 

Its funny we are mentioning House of Pain and  West Coast hip hop and hooligans from a ghetto somewhere as I was JUST JUST listening to Straight Outta Compton.  I saw the movie recently, like last week I think, or was it the week before....anyway, and I always had that song stuck in my head all this time while resisting the urge to play it on youtube.  Well, the 5 seconds that I listened to The Disturbed Shout cover, I went all out ghetto hip hop. And while House of Pain was not part of the playlist, other bling bling and gangsta rap was.  I like some rap. Not all. Some bling bling rap like Biggie Smalls is kinda funny to me. Although I dont like the lyrics to Straight Outta Compton, I do realize and respect why its there...but I like the "melodies" and the beats to these. Kinda fun to listen too once in a while. 

Back to February car spotting.

I got nothing interesting other than the Pontiac G8 for today.

I did see a cleanish Buick Park Avenue last week. It was an Ultra. With the portholes on the side telling me it was a 2003, 2004 model? 

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Los Angeles.... I was waaaaaay off.  LOL

Dont know Everlast as a soloist either. 

Its funny we are mentioning House of Pain and  West Coast hip hop and hooligans from a ghetto somewhere as I was JUST JUST listening to Straight Outta Compton.  I saw the movie recently, like last week I think, or was it the week before....anyway, and I always had that song stuck in my head all this time while resisting the urge to play it on youtube.  Well, the 5 seconds that I listened to The Disturbed Shout cover, I went all out ghetto hip hop. And while House of Pain was not part of the playlist, other bling bling and gangsta rap was.  I like some rap. Not all. Some bling bling rap like Biggie Smalls is kinda funny to me. Although I dont like the lyrics to Straight Outta Compton, I do realize and respect why its there...but I like the "melodies" and the beats to these. Kinda fun to listen too once in a while. 

Back to February car spotting.

I got nothing interesting other than the Pontiac G8 for today.

I did see a cleanish Buick Park Avenue last week. It was an Ultra. With the portholes on the side telling me it was a 2003, 2004 model? 

I like those Park Avenues.     As far as hip hop, I do listen to some occasionally... I did see Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg Eminem and others on the Up in Smoke Tour back in '00...I do like the old Dr Dre and Tupac tracks like 'California Love'.. 

Didn't see much of anything this week..haven't left the house since Monday (a downside/upside to working from home?).  Got to get out and run around some this weekend. 

Edited by Robert Hall

20190207_152026.jpg

Saw this Chevy sonic LT in Green and it had a Bolt nose on it, but was sharp looking for a subcompact. Also at the gym was the last generation Buick station wagon in white, very clean and sharp.

• Agree 1

Had some correspondence in the past with Crawford while researching the Argonaut car. They had a Argonaut-branded neo-classic in the '90s but lost track of it. I found out online it has gone to Japan and it's getting fairly ratty.
Looks like an awesome place.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, ykX said:

Maybe because almost nobody buys them?

Of course; this statement is relative. The Model 3 is an EV anomaly; no other EVs' "get bought" relative to the 3 (2018: 139K), but if you omit the Model 3, the Bolt, Volt & Clarity were neck & neck last year at 18K sales. Model X was just above at 25K. These other models are in the top 7 in EV / PHEV sales... it's just that EV sales in general are pathetic right now.

Just saw my first in the wild White Lincoln Nautilus. Brand new, only had paper tags in the back window. Sharp looking from the outside, but still not sold on the interior and retro look n feel. Does remind me of the late 70's luxury auto's.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Just saw my first in the wild White Lincoln Nautilus. Brand new, only had paper tags in the back window. Sharp looking from the outside, but still not sold on the interior and retro look n feel. Does remind me of the late 70's luxury auto's.

Must be the 1970s in a parallel universe.. nothing about this looks 1970s to me.  Late 70s cars were very square and upright inside and usually had bench seats.   The Nautilus doesn't seem retro to me, just an update to the  MKX... I like the berry red seats and trim.

images-12.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Must be the 1970s in a parallel universe.. nothing about this looks 1970s to me.  Late 70s cars were very square and upright inside and usually had bench seats.   The Nautilus doesn't seem retro to me, just an update to the  MKX... I like the berry red seats and trim.

Yeah, the newest Lincolns are American style to me, not retro.  Love 'em.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

images-12.jpeg

Must be thinking of the aviator that has that after thought Nav screen sitting on top of the vents just sticking up in an odd place and the retro controls below. White Nautilus was going the opposite direction from me on 220th here, so saw it coming and going in the mirror was it. Thanks for posting that pic. That is a much nicer dash than what I had in my head. Your right the berry red seats and trim is nice.

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Must be thinking of the aviator that has that after thought Nav screen sitting on top of the vents just sticking up in an odd place and the retro controls below. White Nautilus was going the opposite direction from me on 220th here, so saw it coming and going in the mirror was it. Thanks for posting that pic. That is a much nicer dash than what I had in my head. Your right the berry red seats and trim is nice.

The Nautilus dash is basically the same as the MKX, which follows the Fusion/MKZ early 10s styling themes that many current Ford products have..  The Aviator is all new, and does have the attached tablet screen.  Still doesn't look very retro to me.

images-13.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Nautilus dash is basically the same as the MKX, which follows the Fusion/MKZ early 10s styling themes that many current Ford products have..  The Aviator is all new, and does have the attached tablet screen.  Still doesn't look very retro to me.

images-13.jpeg

Thank you, yes this is the dash I was thinking of and to me very retro with the round dial knobs, the upright flat dash and the after thought nav screen. To me this is retro terrible for a modern 21st century auto.

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

images-13.jpeg

Puts the XT6 on the trailer.

• Agree 2

Saw a 1995 or 1996 Buick Regal GS coupe in metallic gold (meh) and with the rear trunk lid luggage treatment (not good).  What I thought was interesting was the transition from hood ornament to the Buick medallion laid flat, Euro style.  It was in near perfect condition.  Amazing that this was a 23+ year old car.

I sort of liked my hood ornament on that car but I don't think they work well with the GS trim.  The medallion made more sense.

• Agree 1

Coincidentally I saw an early W-body Regal Custom coupe, light blue over blue cloth, in the grocery store parking lot, looking worse for wear, but hey, it got there under its own power!  No dents, just heavily weathered.

• Agree 1

On the way to a debate tournament in Hillsdale Michigan, in rural Ohio....58 Ford Ranchero, yellow and white two tone....a very rare beast....out on a February day!

• Agree 3

At Fred Meyers gasing up and a grey Ford Taurus X station wagon pulls up to gas. Ugly autos and fit n finish is terrible from what I can see. I see no reason to buy them. :puke:

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

At Fred Meyers gasing up and a grey Ford Taurus X station wagon pulls up to gas. Ugly autos and fit n finish is terrible from what I can see. I see no reason to buy them. :puke:

Well, it is 10+ year old vehicle so the fit & finish probably wouldn't be that great... I see a few around here occasionally, rusty and worn out but still running. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, it's is 10+ year old vehicle so the fit & finish probably wouldn't be that great... 

Very true, but even then it was an old couple that seems to keep it clean and tidy, but the panel gaps and alignment still surprises me for any car built after 2000. Ford clearly cared very little for building a quality Taurus me think.

Just now, dfelt said:

Very true, but even then it was an old couple that seems to keep it clean and tidy, but the panel gaps and alignment still surprises me for any car built after 2000. Ford clearly cared very little for building a quality Taurus me think.

Maybe..2008-2009 was a really bad time for the auto industry... they were barely hanging on then. 

• Thanks 1

Was on the freeway yesterday and had an Intrigue being driven by an African-American lady next to me.  I was aligning with it to see what year it was.  She was probably wondering what the hell I was doing.  So, it had a trunk key lock and no hint that it was an Oldsmobile (no badge at the rear), meaning it was a 1998.  Not at all scuffed up except for some minor dents and slightly weathered paint.  She was cruising along nicely in a 20 year old card.  As I pulled forward, the amber colored always on turning lamps were staring at me via my rear view mirror.  Oldsmobile's last car and probably one of Oldsmobile's best cars.  Very sad.

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Was on the freeway yesterday and had an Intrigue being driven by an African-American lady next to me.  I was aligning with it to see what year it was.  She was probably wondering what the hell I was doing.  So, it had a trunk key lock and no hint that it was an Oldsmobile (no badge at the rear), meaning it was a 1998.  Not at all scuffed up except for some minor dents and slightly weathered paint.  She was cruising along nicely in a 20 year old card.  As I pulled forward, the amber colored always on turning lamps were staring at me via my rear view mirror.  Oldsmobile's last car and probably one of Oldsmobile's best cars.  Very sad.

3800 powered.   Wouldn't the final Aurora be Oldsmobile's last car?  The Bravada was the last refresh to be introduced, but maybe that doesn't count as a car.

• Agree 1

On 2/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

3800 powered.   Wouldn't the final Aurora be Oldsmobile's last car?  The Bravada was the last refresh to be introduced, but maybe that doesn't count as a car.

I believe the Aurora was introduced in 1995 or so while the Intrigue was released in 1998 for the brand's centennial.  The Aurora was refreshed once, while the Intrigue never was. 

Maybe what I meant to say is nameplate.  I think the Alero, Bravada, and Silhouette nameplates preceded the Intrigue, irrespective of updates.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:20 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Montreal is a beautiful city.  Not more than any other city on this planet. But Montreal is unique. It has English and French architecture.  Its got both old world European flair with modern American panache.

Cuisine?

Montreal always had world quality restaurants. Las Vegas, Boston, Houston are some North American cities that have equalled and perhaps surpassed Montreal in that area..but...Montreal, along with NYC still remain surprisingly relevant. 

What makes Montreal (and especially NYC) that great in all these areas? 

Montreal (and NYC) are trully real cosmopolitan cities. For a couple of centuries now. Food is where this shows. Walk the streets of Montreal in the summer and then you get to see how cosmopolitan Montreal really is.   its just not the architecture that is stunning, just how NYC stuns you with its high rises....its how the people interact with each other. All the colours of the ethnics...how each is represented in the city. Its great! 

Very true.  In Montreal, it is very okay to ask someone what their ethnicity is.  Everyone talks about it.  It's healthy ... and interesting. They might also do that in New York or Philadelphia or Chicago.  That is almost not acceptable in the Western United States.  It might be something you discuss with the offspring of more recently arrived Asians but not with the offspring of Europeans.  It's very sad, especially if you're first generation.  I hate the whole notion of the American "melting pot."  It may be relevant if you are 4 or 5 different nationalities.  It is certainly not relevant it you are 100% one nationality or a perfect 50:50 split of two nationalities.

I just noticed this is in the car spotting thread.  No worries.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I believe the Aurora was introduced in 1995 or so while the Intrigue was released in 1998 for the brand's centennial.  The Aurora was refreshed once, while the Intrigue never was. 

Maybe what I meant to say is nameplate.  I think the Alero, Bravada, and Silhouette nameplates preceded the Intrigue, irrespective of updates.

Yeah, if you mean last new name introductions, then that's correct

• Thanks 1

@Drew Dowdell @trinacriabob

Last new model from Oldsmobile?  

Bravada came out in 2002. Produced until 2004. The Aurora came out in 2001 until 2003. The Alero in 1999 up until 2004 and the Intrigue in 1997 as a 1998 model until 2002.  (The Silhouette in 1997)

So Oldsmobile's last new model was in fact the Bravada. And none got a refresh of any kind.  Intrigue got a Shortstar V6 after the 1st year run with a Buick 3800. The Aurora dumped the  Shortstar V6 in its final year run.  I do not know if the Bravada got something axed but I do know that the last 2 years of the Alero's production run, the Alero lost its 4 wheel disc brakes that it had for drums in the back. 

But...last off the line, the last Oldsmobile ever built was an Alero.  April 29, 2004.

And if talking about nameplates...well, the Alero is in fact the last new name plate ever introduced by Oldsmobile. The Bravada came out in 1990 as a 1991, the Aurora in 1995, the Intrigue in 1997.The Silhouette in 1989.  The Alero in 1999. 

Related image

And all the workers that built it, signed it. 

Related image

Image result for last oldsmobile off the line

Related image7

Related image

I believe its in a museum honoring other Oldsmobiles currently. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 2

I would have never believed that little 4 cylinders Aleros would go the distance, seeing so many on the road to this day.  Great going, Olds!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

I would have never believed that little 4 cylinders Aleros would go the distance, seeing so many on the road to this day.

It was an ecotec. 

That ecotec is still being used by GM. Maybe not THAT particualr version. .But GM puts a derivative of it in everything nowadays that the Alero and Grand Am used. And it was and still is a very good engine.  

It has powered some very cool GM rides ever since it was introduced.Th SAAB 9-3.  The Kappa twins. The Cobalt SS. The CT6 PHEV...the Fisker Karma as the gasoline powered generator...OK, the Karma is not a GM ride. Still a cool ride. Beautiful ride actually. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

It was an ecotec. 

That ecotec is still being used by GM. Maybe not THAT particualr version. .But GM puts a derivative of it in everything nowadays that the Alero and Grand Am used. And it was and still is a very good engine.  

It has powered some very cool GM rides ever since it was introduced.Th SAAB 9-3.  The Kappa twins. The Cobalt SS. The CT6 PHEV...the Fisker Karma as the gasoline powered generator...OK, the Karma is not a GM ride. Still a cool ride. Beautiful ride actually. 

They were good engines but they had the most horrible sounding starters... lol they sound like a bunch of bolts in a spinning coffee can. 

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Retro posting - California desert

Cars spotted in the high desert small towns of California near Joshua Tree National Park - they seem to survive with the dryness but their paint is often in poor shape

IMG_2019-02-08_16-53-26.thumb.jpeg.50389c3522ea5aaab69735d84b87c7bd.jpeg

Hippo on its toes Caprice sedan (year unknown) in a funky part of town

IMG_2019-02-12_10-33-59.thumb.jpeg.ad582b6e230653d4547691ad714e612e.jpeg

A mid '60s Chevrolet full size wagon - which year?  which model?  I don't know.  Check out the desert scenery in winter.

IMG_2019-02-12_10-35-03.thumb.jpeg.f1226790b7a203b4e165e5d8b3be66b3.jpeg

Look at how old it is.  Obviously repainted ... a while back.  It has the 6 character plates and they're not even blue and gold, but black and gold!

IMG_2019-02-12_12-59-28.thumb.jpeg.7d1b09289a9c95f31f0cde570b950af3.jpeg

An '90s Lumina base turning - without the 3.1 badging, this could have even been a 4 banger.

IMG_2019-02-12_14-33-08.thumb.jpeg.6c88b1b903ecff85271f3c7a23017431.jpeg

I think this is an American Motors car.   Don't know the model name and the year.  Again, the archaic black and gold license plates with 6 characters.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The white Caprice appears to be a '95-96 with the revised quarter window and opened-up rear wheel arches.  The blue wagon is a '69-70 full size Chevy, and the AMC is a '64 Rambler Classic. 

Thanks.  Got it!  The rear quarter window doesn't carry across at the base.  I can use this info.  So, this could have been a 5.7 or a 4.3 (if the latter cleared CA emissions) V8.  I could have asked the owner, if around, but then, maybe not such a great idea.  Sure would like a really clean, low mileage one as a second car.

Right.  Rear lamps on later full size Chevys were squarer and flatter, so that makes sense.  The bad paint job makes it look older.

That AMC sounds about right.  Slightly earlier Ramblers of the non-classic variety were sort of scary, perhaps the down market Ford Mavericks of their decade.

- - - - -

I also have photos of an old classic spotted while in Arizona up at the viewpoint on the mountain at the south end of Phoenix.  IMG_2019-02-15_13-33-58.thumb.jpeg.3c492cf1e434d0035d6fa8e619cd74c3.jpeg

IMG_2019-02-15_13-35-49.thumb.jpeg.a429971ec9144678611d5d6bed822fda.jpeg

I would have these posted earlier but came back with rhinitis that wiped me out.  Too dry compared to what I'm used to.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

St

I also have photos of an old classic spotted while in Arizona up at the viewpoint on the mountain at the south end of Phoenix.  IMG_2019-02-15_13-33-58.thumb.jpeg.3c492cf1e434d0035d6fa8e619cd74c3.jpeg

IMG_2019-02-15_13-35-49.thumb.jpeg.a429971ec9144678611d5d6bed822fda.jpeg

I would have these posted earlier but came back with rhinitis that wiped me out.  Too dry compared to what I'm used to.

Studebaker GT Hawk...I think that is a '63...some subtle differences each of the 3 years it was in production ('62-64).   The '64 didn't have the aluminum trunk trim. 

• Agree 1