July 2019 Car Spotters!

Saw a blue and white Corvair Greenbrier pickup and white Volvo P1800 coupe.   Both very clean.  

Saw a funny accident—-a Prius has rear ended a late model black Tacoma.  What was funny was the Tacoma had a huge ‘REDNECK NATION’ logo on the rear window.   A poser I guess, I don’t think real rednecks drive Toyotas. 

• Haha 1

New temp tagged Palisades in various cities and highways...good sign. Tellurides, of course, everywhere...more and more.

New ruby red Cadillac XT6 with dealer tags leaving NYC, onto the Jersey Turnpike. Without a doubt, one of the blandest, slab sided, no detail, etc. vehicles on road. Almost Pilot esque, but oddly, the Pilot even has more surface detail. Good thing it was red...

• Agree 1

Had a new black Silverado behind me today, realized the C-shaped elements at the ends of the grille bar are the DRLs...interesting.  

Saw a clean late 80s black Rolls Royce sedan w/a  red leather interior in traffic. 

Hanging out in a quiet residential neighborhood, waiting for a subcontractor to show up. Got to chatting with the elderly woman across the street; I complimented her son's '71-72 C10 pickup in the driveway. She told me he's 10 years into restoring her mother's '62 Bel Air bubbletop (that one I didn't see in the garage).

• 5 months later...

Retro sighting - getting some disorganization organized ...

"Deuce and a quarter," baby!

Could be a '77, a '78, or maybe slightly later - don't know if this is an original paint color - incredible condition all the way around.

Power most likely supplied by Olds via a 350 V8 or a 403 V8 (I'd take the 350).

KIMG3630.thumb.JPG.fe3265621d36fd8daf89459c0679fcec.JPG

KIMG3622.thumb.JPG.2cda01bac18523079a19b47041ced656.JPG

KIMG3627.thumb.JPG.6db7ca61d2f93508ae3551af2dc5c97e.JPG

KIMG3626.thumb.JPG.304d11960262198251cdf8c9a7f25c1f.JPG

Just think how good this car would look with normal tires, normal whitewalls, and stock Buick alloys.  It would make me want to drive this car daily.  

Like they say, "those were the days."

• Agree 1

I really do hope that Buick uses the Electra on a new EV. Yes Balthy and Ocnblu will roast me about it, but it is a natural Marketing of EV with the Electra Name that should serve Buick well.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Sweet Electra...that's a '77--one year only with those rear side marker lights, on the '78-79 the taillights wrapped around the corner caps.

You've got a good eye.  I vaguely remember the different treatments of the rear.  That may be an original color, then.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I really do hope that Buick uses the Electra on a new EV. Yes Balthy and Ocnblu will roast me about it, but it is a natural Marketing of EV with the Electra Name that should serve Buick well.

Chevy used Volt and Bolt, so why not?  They sell and/or sold, though I don't recall how well.  I like it; however, Buick will have to study it carefully with image testing, stats, and that sort of research, which goes without saying.  The automobile world can't afford another N - O - - V - A type gaffe.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

You've got a good eye.  I vaguely remember the different treatments of the rear.  That may be an original color, then.

Chevy used Volt and Bolt, so why not?  They sell and/or sold, though I don't recall how well.  I like it; however, Buick will have to study it carefully with image testing, stats, and that sort of research, which goes without saying.  The automobile world can't afford another N - O - - V - A type gaffe.

I googled pics to confirm, but I remembered the green '77 a neighbor had when I was a kid..the '77 had taller taillights that didn't wrap the corners, '78-79 had wider, shorter taillights that wrapped the corners..

China is getting electric Buick Velite 7 based on the Bolt..  I wonder if the US will get it eventually..looks to be around the size of the Encore GX...

2021-Buick-Velite-7.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

China is getting electric Velite 7 based on the Bolt..  I wonder if the US will get it eventually..looks to be around the size of the Encore GX...

Boring POS with Corolla headlights.  NO THANKS.

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

I'm going to put up some retro photos, which I have had in disarray.

Here's a last-gen ('06 or '07) Monte Carlo I frequently see at a store parking lot.  While in fantastic condition, I'm not a fan of red.  It's an LT model.  I see 1 exhaust pipe, meaning a 3.5 V6.  I only bring this up because this engine was EPA rated at something ridiculously high, like 32 mpg, on the open road.  However, it wasn't that ridiculous after all.  I've rented numerous and they got 32, 33, and even 34 mpg under ideal conditions, which is amazing for a car this heavy and for having 211 HP.  I don't know how they pulled that off, and with only 4 speeds in the automatic transmission.  You get up to 37 or 38 mpg these days for downsizing all the way to 1.8 liters and 4 cylinders!

The only thing wrong with this car, if you can see it, is the two retro blocks of black racing paint on the hood.  Nope.  Less is more.

KIMG3646.thumb.JPG.27c92b7ea6bd266b0b423a904fc9120d.JPG

KIMG3643.thumb.JPG.47b43f9d0e7961f19db8317fe1101d7c.JPG

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2