July 2019 Car Spotters!

Took a scenic drive down through the national park to my favorite custard stand (been making this drive every day since June 28th, very relaxing).  Saw a variety of interesting oldies—a clean red 40 Plymouth 2dr, a clean cream and red ‘56 Chevy 2dr sedan, a dark blue ‘71 Chevelle 2dr, a primered 55 Ford 4dr sedan, and an orange ‘70 Cuda.  

2 notes ~
• Was behind a new Escalade, as I got up to it I saw the 'Mary Kay' script… but before that I was admiring the color- not bright at all but very subtle, dusty pink/white. Cadillac should offer an expanded color palette that goes off the 'standards' of today- tinted whites, slightly tinged silvers, very dark metallic blue/brown/reds. They should still have plenty of appeal to those who tend to default to the defaults, but would certainly be unique / special.
• circa early '90s Chrysler New Yorker, super clean but hitching a ride on a flatbed. They were not bad looking for the period...

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

• circa early '90s Chrysler New Yorker, super clean but hitching a ride on a flatbed. They were not bad looking for the period...

The transmission probably went. That was the weak link in those cars. The rest of the car was pretty solid. 

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There is a closed former car dealer around here filled with overflow Rams. 

At the rate they're selling, eclipsing the Chevrolet equivalent in the first half, I don't think they'll have too much trouble clearing them.

'68 GTO convertible, red, I'd say #3 condition, driven by a guy who could have bought it new.

Went out for taco Tuesday and custard...saw a variety of interesting cars---a very clean red C4 convertible, a sharp silver '67 Corvette coupe, a primered '63 Ford Galaxie boxtop w/ a healthy rumble, a bright yellow slammed '68-72 C10 longbed, an orange Hellcat Challenger, and a white wide body Hellcat Challenger..

Oddest sight was a black Audi Q7 sitting up on 4 jack stands in a driveway of a modest house...looked like the guy was doing a brake job.

Also saw a sharp red '59 Edsel convertible, rolling in traffic, top down. 

Saw a house with a pale yellow '65 Mustang coupe in the garage and a blue w/ white top Lincoln Mark III in the driveway being polished.

Edited by Robert Hall

On a nearby street being resurfaced, saw a strange street sweeper truck..had a Frieghtliner cab with two steering wheels!   The driver was sitting on the passenger side.   I guess having dual drive setups makes sense so the driver can sit on the curbside to watch curbs when sweeping..

A bit o' googling turned up pics of one..wild.

8502 interior.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Went for custard again tonight and saw a red '60 Chevy Impala convertible, a black '63 Bonneville convertible, and a white first gen Chevy II sedan delivery (cut and shut from a wagon)  out enjoying a beautiful Ohio summer evening..  also saw a black '68 Chevelle ht, a dark blue w/ white stripe '68 Chevelle convertible, a silver blue '66 Mustang coupe,  and a silver blue '69 Impala ht. 

Edited by Robert Hall

@Robert Hall My friend, next time you go, please take a picture of this Custard, It sounds yummy and you go enough but we have never seen it and I want to see it please. I really have a hankering for it now. :P

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

@Robert Hall My friend, next time you go, please take a picture of this Custard, It sounds yummy and you go enough but we have never seen it and I want to see it please. I really have a hankering for it now. :P

Ya, incredible stuff...I've always liked ice cream, but never experienced frozen custard like this...delicious..they have a couple basic flavors (chocolate, vanilla) and a unique flavor of the day..every day.  It's about 10 miles from home, beautiful drive through winding, hilly roads of the national park to get there....gone almost daily the last 2 weeks...a summer guilty pleasure.

Rosati's Frozen Custard

https://rosatisfrozencustard.com

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Saw a bright red '67 Grand Prix convertible yesterday, rolling top down...white interior.   Also saw a Saab 9-7X in clean condition, kind of a taupe color.  Haven't seen one in a couple of years. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Ya, incredible stuff...I've always liked ice cream, but never experienced frozen custard like this...delicious..they have a couple basic flavors (chocolate, vanilla) and a unique flavor of the day..every day.  It's about 10 miles from home, beautiful drive through winding, hilly roads of the national park to get there....gone almost daily the last 2 weeks...a summer guilty pleasure.

Rosati's Frozen Custard

https://rosatisfrozencustard.com

THANK YOU, That is amazing looking. Loved reading about their story.

https://rosatisfrozencustard.com/about/

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ah yes, the second-gen Corvair... absolutely love the design and think it is one of GM's best overall.  Certainly THE best looking small GM car design ever.  Early Vega is also a beauty, let down badly by half-baked engineering and rust protection.  They only have themselves to blame.

• Agree 2

Love the roofline and proportions of the 2nd gen Corvair coupes.   

Saw a new 2020 Explorer on the road today, gray with a temporary plate.  Sharp, first I’ve seen on the road.   Also saw a gray w white stripes 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, also w a temporary plate.  

Running to Business costco and this lovely Cadillac station wagon was in front of me. Very clean.

20190716_163418.jpg

then after that someone was renting a fiat and a big dragon fly landed on the roof antenna and hitched a ride for a few miles.

20190716_164237.jpg

• Agree 1

Amazing old Iron, not sure what year, but in mint condition. @balthazar what year?

20190718_191530.jpg

I always laugh when I see these magnetic stickers on a foreign name plate. Yes I know it is American built, but the profits still go back to japan.

20190718_173119.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

I always laugh when I see these magnetic stickers on a foreign name plate. Yes I know it is American built, but the profits still go back to japan.

Talk about irony..I saw an older gent with a  'Korean War Veteran' license plate frame recently...he was driving a Sonata.

• Haha 2

At my local Cadillac dealership for an oil change on the SS. Watched them prep this and move it in for sale. According to my sales rep, was traded in for a CT6 Blackwing.

20190719_085222.jpg

20190719_085210.jpg

20190719_085723.jpg

• Agree 2

Just finished a test drive in the all new XT6. Looks much better in person, front end reminds me too much of the Blazer.  Get up and go is great, auto really moves for AWD sport edition that I drove. Fit n Finish is very good, just found a few things that most people would not notice.

The CUV is very sharp looking and it will sell in decent numbers for Cadillac. 

Once the front seat is set for me, the back seat I can get into, but I straddle the front seat. Shame for us big guys the interior is so tight.

Nav is snappy and responsive, over all it worked relaxing well. Found no problem with the transmission as it was silky smooth in up-shifts and down. They have a winner winner chicken dinner on their hands in a battle for who has the best steak meal. Sad.

20190719_094239.jpg

20190719_094436.jpg

20190719_094256.jpg

20190719_094312.jpg

20190719_094328.jpg

20190719_094343.jpg

20190719_094358.jpg

I will say I am very disappointed in the presentation of the Engine bay. They really should have had a better cover over everything. Also, this would then cover up the single hood strut support point you can see affixed I. The upper right corner to the strut column. I get it that in lower trims this gets a single.shock to hold open the hood, but it should not be there on this cadillac.

Have to say this was a very nice fully loaded XT4, but with custom grill package and custom wheel package, $56k is way too much.

20190719_094419.jpg

• Agree 1

@dfelt  Love that convertible GTO you posted.  There is still a group of dealerships named DOUG up in Lynnwood?  Haha.  Does he have a last name or is this like a Cher joke?  Even Cal Worthington could do better than that.  Never mind Cal Worthington.

I have been seeing a lot of base Dodge Chargers in black/black.  You can only get black cloth seats on the base model.  The black makes them look more trim though I have not owned dark colored cars and prefer not to.  The white/black Charger conundrum is analogous to "do this outfit make me look fat?"   You wouldn't believe the discounts on current non-specialty Chargers. Wow.

@trinacriabob Yup a group of brands owned by the same Doug.

https://www.dougscadillac.com

https://www.dougsmazda.com/tcd/home/

http://www.dougshyundai.com

They also have a Credit center and Doug has his own Dougs web site that points to them all.

http://www.dougs.com

Pretty funny guy, but driven.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 8:45 AM, Robert Hall said:

Talk about irony..I saw an older gent with a  'Korean War Veteran' license plate frame recently...he was driving a Sonata.

Yes I believe that is a thing some of them do to support our ally in that war.  That is what I was told by one of my customers who drives an Azera, he's a Korean War vet too.

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

here in Arkon

???

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

???

Ah, ‘Arkon’—-nickname for Akron, a city near me in NE Ohio.  For some reason, I’ve used that nickname for decades.  

Saw a very clean 90-92 Cadillac Brougham today, dark blue w dark blue top, dark window tint, whitewalls and wires.  Classy.  

Edited by Robert Hall

Today, I never left the house, just worked on my large garden and cleaned the bathrooms from top to bottom, ceilings, walls, sinks, toilets, floor, tub, shower. All nice and clean.

Just saw my own auto's parking in my driveway or garage. :P 

Went out to stroll along the lake after work today, weather was so nice.   Such a change after yesterday's torrential rains.  In a body shop I saw behind their front glass window a bright red Fiat X1/9, and later as I neared home had a sharp late Corvette C3 (80-82 style) behind me, white w/ a white interior, black windshield frame, and black or tinted t-top panels.  

unnamed-4.jpg

• Like 1

Just pulled into my 24hr Fitness to work out and a bright orange Challanger T/A plus is what I parked next to. 

Weird how many I am seeing of them now and it was a millennial who owned it. Been allot of that age group buying these cars.

In the little town of Duvall Washington visiting my sister and came across two awesome old autos.

International truck

20190725_163536.jpg

20190725_163543.jpg

This next one I know will be loved by many here, @Drew Dowdell @balthazar @oldshurst442 @Robert Hall @A Horse With No Name @ocnblu

I am sure there are others, but this baby is perfect for this sunny day.

20190725_163221.jpg

20190725_163238.jpg

20190725_163101.jpg

20190725_163116.jpg

20190725_163127.jpg

20190725_163139.jpg

20190725_163156.jpg

• Agree 1

Saw a convoy going the other way on the highway about a mile from my house; 7-8 cars, at least 4 Lamborghinis, an audi R8, I believe a McLaren or a ferrari (black tho- is that allowed??). Lead Lambo was festooned with stickers. Hard to get clear view- there was 3 lanes of heavy traffic between them & me. Not my cup of ethylene.

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, balthazar said:

Saw a convoy going the other way on the highway about a mile from my house; 7-8 cars, at least 4 Lamborghinis, an audi R8, I believe a McLaren or a ferrari (black tho- is that allowed??). Lead Lambo was festooned with stickers. Hard to get clear view- there was 3 lanes of heavy traffic between them & me. Not my cup of ethylene.

Tons of exotics around here,  not my cup of tea either...Morgan three wheeler pulled up outside of an Italian restaurant a friend and i were eating at. 

Saw a bright green 6th gen Camaro ZL1 and a bright orange C7 Z06 in traffic last night....great exhaust notes from both..they were going light-to-light revving and trying to out-accelerate.   Too much traffic to cut loose, though. 

Also saw a sharp copper '67 Dodge Dart GTS 2dr ht.   

Edited by Robert Hall