Jump to content
Create New...

VW News: Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen and Golf AllTrack To End Production


Drew Dowdell

Recommended Posts

The march towards majority SUVs continues on and the two newest casualties are the Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen and the Golf Alltrack. As we predicted a month ago, Volkswagen will end production of the two vehicles in the 2019 model year, though in the case of the Alltrack, production will be extended to December. 

Volkswagen says that with 50 percent of their sales being SUVs, consumer tastes have shifted strongly to SUVs, and VW is responding by releasing three new SUVs over the next 2 years.  First up, will be a 5-seater Atlas Cross Sport being unveiled later this year, then the ID.CROZZ electric SUV early next year, and a just announced SUV to slot below the Tiguan is planned for 2021.  While Volkswagen says their new ID EV platform can be used for bodystyles of the past, apparently the station wagon is not one planned. 

 


View full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ALLTrack I really like, but like Chevrolet, VW marketing is pathetic and I think they lost sales by not marketing it as a activity wagon. Course did it ever get here to the US as I have never seen one here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The ALLTrack I really like, but like Chevrolet, VW marketing is pathetic and I think they lost sales by not marketing it as a activity wagon. Course did it ever get here to the US as I have never seen one here.

I saw a couple at my neighborhood VW dealer in Phoenix back in 2017...sat in one.   Seemed like a neat wagon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The ALLTrack I really like, but like Chevrolet, VW marketing is pathetic and I think they lost sales by not marketing it as a activity wagon. Course did it ever get here to the US as I have never seen one here.

They looked cool, but they should have really pushed it harder against the Outback. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What brand would you put it under? Jeep?

Yes.   Though maybe a differently styled Magnum version for Dodge also.   I think a second gen Magnum wagon w/ Charger styling would have been nice. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

..if they were smart they'd have a Dodge version as more of a street and cheaper version, Jeep as a 1 inch lift and market it as an off-road version, and Chrysler as a luxury version(luxury level of Lincoln/Acura/Lexus/Infinity). 

Of course, with Jeep they could do luxury also with a Jeep Eagle Summit.   Have a Trailhawk and Trackhawk versions  (differentiated from  Dodge Magnum SRT, which would be more street and performance).    For the Jeep version I'm thinking something conceptually ala the Volvo V90 CC or Audi Allroad.       (I love the idea of a Jeep Eagle sport wagon). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Trackhawk is definitely a street performance vehicle(have you seen the wheels and tires on the JGC Trackhawk???). It would be identical to a Dodge SRT. I would leave that performance trim for Dodge and Chrysler, imo. 

More performance versions are always a good thing.  Performance might be identical to a Dodge SRT, but different styling--I'd have the Dodge look like a Charger sport wagon.  That's what I like about Jeep GC variations....they've got luxury, off-road and performance trims in the mix.  Chrysler is a dead brand I'm afraid.     

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

More performance versions are always a good thing.  Performance might be identical to a Dodge SRT, but different styling--I'd have the Dodge look like a Charger sport wagon.  That's what I like about Jeep GC variations....they've got luxury, off-road and performance trims in the mix.  Chrysler is a dead brand I'm afraid.     

Chrysler being dead is so frustrating because they had the perfect brand to fight the "2nd tier" luxury brands head-on. All they really needed to do was make a luxurious interior and add some fancy adjustable dampers and it would ride like it's on clouds. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ccap41 said:

Chrysler being dead is so frustrating because they had the perfect brand to fight the "2nd tier" luxury brands head-on. All they really needed to do was make a luxurious interior and add some fancy adjustable dampers and it would ride like it's on clouds. 

Yeah, it seems stuck as the minivan brand right now...and they have the Italian filler brands above it in the way (Alfa and Maserati). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, it seems stuck as the minivan brand right now...and they have the Italian filler brands above it in the way (Alfa and Maserati). 

Kill the pathetic Alfa and Maserati and pour the profits back into Chrysler as a mid tier luxury brand to go against Buick and Acura.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Chances are that VW is simply not going to sell these variants here because the USA is all about that SUV/CUV.  They could probably still sell their successors in Europe since SUV/CUV fever has not gotten to them yet.

From the sales numbers of the last few years, seems Europe and the Asian rim is moving to CUV/SUV style of auto's also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a shame. The Alltrack is all things considered one of my favorite new cars on the market. It is such an incredibly well-rounded car that punches above it's price tag and class. This might have to make me reevaluate my future purchase for a new family friendly DD.

VW is stupid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

What a shame. The Alltrack is all things considered one of my favorite new cars on the market. It is such an incredibly well-rounded car that punches above it's price tag and class. This might have to make me reevaluate my future purchase for a new family friendly DD.

VW is stupid. 

VW's message: buy our CUV and pay us more money for it.

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search