Drew Dowdell

GM News: GM Recalling 3.46 Million Trucks For Brake Issues

General Motors announced a recall Wednesday of 3.46 million GM trucks and SUVs for a braking issue that has been linked to 113 accidents and 13 injuries.  The problem arises from a vacuum pump issue where the pump make less vacuum over time, thereby increasing the braking effort. The pump is lubricated by engine oil and can accumulate debris and oil sludge lessening the pump's effectiveness.

The recall covered model years 2014 - 2018 of Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe, and GMC Sierra and Yukon. 

GM told the NHTSA that the pump design was only used during those years of manufacture. 

In a smaller recall, GM is recalling 177,000 2018 Chevrolet Malibus with the 1.5-liter Turbo engine where an error in the engine control computer could disable the fuel injectors. 

View full article

12 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

When will this ever stop? 😉

When they are all EVs. ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I heard GM engineers fixed this in early 2017. I have an '18 K2 Silvy Crew Z71 4x4 built 9/18 that is not a part of the recall with my VIN, according to NHTSA and I haven't had any issues. I have a buddy with a late 2017 Silvy with no issues and is not a part of the recall and a sister with a 2015 Tahoe with no problems, but will get it looked at. I would venture to say that half or more of the 113 accidents are distracted drivers that needed an excuse to get out of the liability of a rear-ender bender because they were on the phone or worse yet, texting. Really not bad that out of 3.4 Mil trucks and SUV's since 2014 that there are only 113 "claimed brake failure" accidents. I think our MSM just gets bored and needs the next big headline because it was all over every News outlet yesterday...meanwhile at Ford multiple widespread problems with their cash-cow SUV's...https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2020-ford-explorer-has-top-secret-problems-disrupting-dealer-delivery/ar-AAHfr3m?li=BBnb7Kz

1 hour ago, USA-1 Vortec 6.2 said:

I heard GM engineers fixed this in early 2017. I have an '18 K2 Silvy Crew Z71 4x4 built 9/18 that is not a part of the recall with my VIN, according to NHTSA and I haven't had any issues. I have a buddy with a late 2017 Silvy with no issues and is not a part of the recall and a sister with a 2015 Tahoe with no problems, but will get it looked at. I would venture to say that half or more of the 113 accidents are distracted drivers that needed an excuse to get out of the liability of a rear-ender bender because they were on the phone or worse yet, texting. Really not bad that out of 3.4 Mil trucks and SUV's since 2014 that there are only 113 "claimed brake failure" accidents. I think our MSM just gets bored and needs the next big headline because it was all over every News outlet yesterday...meanwhile at Ford multiple widespread problems with their cash-cow SUV's...https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2020-ford-explorer-has-top-secret-problems-disrupting-dealer-delivery/ar-AAHfr3m?li=BBnb7Kz

Yeah, we have an article about it here.

You wonder if they know this stuff is faulty and sell it anyway or if they just don't test this stuff up front and then learn 4 years later that it doesn't work.  You'd think with the massive profit margins on GM's big trucks they would put more money into the R&D and testing side to make sure they got everything right before putting it on sale.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, we have an article about it here.

35 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

You wonder if they know this stuff is faulty and sell it anyway or if they just don't test this stuff up front and then learn 4 years later that it doesn't work.  You'd think with the massive profit margins on GM's big trucks they would put more money into the R&D and testing side to make sure they got everything right before putting it on sale.

Nah, that's what Ford does (see above) talk about lack of funding for R&D.

GM spends a ton of cash on R&D, especially on their full-size trucks and SUV's and this brake booster issue with GM trucks is not faulty equipment, it's mostly a software bug and debris from dirty engine oil (sludge) from a poorly maintained engine can get in the booster pump valves. It's blown out of proportion, 113 out of 3.4 mil trucks/SUV's isn't a normal Recall threshold, but GM dealers are instructed by GM to update the program software and/or replace parts if need be just to be safe. All the bad or distracted drivers out there and the sue happy society we live in doesn't help either.  

• Like 1

Still shouldn't be making excuses for brake failures. Look how many people actually had issues with the GM key thing in relation to how many cars were sold. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Still shouldn't be making excuses for brake failures. Look how many people actually had issues with the GM key thing in relation to how many cars were sold. 

Not excuses, just the facts of the issue at hand. I know several people with these trucks and SUV's with zero problems, that's the reason I said distracted drivers are probably half of the claims, late on the brakes whether working at full power or not is never a good thing.

The ignition switch debacle was one senior engineer making the call to continue on with the poor ignition switch design without bringing the GM board into it, he kept it under wraps, he and anyone else involved should be in prison for a long time. 

On 9/13/2019 at 8:50 PM, smk4565 said:

I wonder that too.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 6.05.45 PM.png

• Haha 2

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By David
      Detroit Free Press covered the annual GM Analysts call this week and with the second quarter results it showed that GM has lost $800 million in the quarter but over all North American Earnings were breakeven and this was with 8 weeks of shutdown. Over all the Stock beat wall streets estimates and yet still sold off in large numbers during the pandemic closure.
      Analysts had plenty of questions for GM with a major question of will GM consider spinning off their technology arm which would include electric vehicles operations into a stand alone company?
      The idea of a stand alone GM Tech company is to recognize the advanced tech GM has over other auto companies and to unlock what Analysts see as considerable shareholder value. This new entity would allow access to cheap new capital to keep the old GM going till the new GM would replace it as a cutting edge tech auto company with what is seen as future strong growth.
      GM has reinforced it's future of all electric auto's, self driving auto's and what it expects to become a zero emission company with 20 new EV auto's on the market by 2023, the first being out in Q1 of 2021.
      The group of Analysts has suggested the new company be called Ultium based on GM's new battery tech.
      The CEO responded that GM is evaluating many scenarios for the future of GM. She had nothing further to say other than the board and executive team will consider all options for what is best for driving long-term shareholder value. Quote: "Nothing is off the table."
      Analysts have since added notes to their research suggesting that GM could already be considering this since so many start ups are valued more than GM such as Tesla, Nikola, Rivian, etc. The Billions of cheap dollars that could help drive GM long term into the future is hard to ignore.
      Some analysts say that to split the company would kill off the baby, meaning the EV side would die after the money was harvested from the stock sale as you only have the Chevrolet Bolt and the new company would have to follow Tesla in going back to the market for more and more money. This is based on what some analysts see as only a US/Canada interest in EVs compared to the rest of the world needing ICE.
      That being said it does show a clear line between those Analysts that see Europe and China leading in new tech with a change to EV's versus those Analysts that are more inline with the oil industry and imply that there is little to no interest in EV's.
      End result is WHAT WILL GM DO?
      I suspect GM will stay the course of using ICE auto's to fund the change to an all EV world. 50 years from now, people will be wondering why it took so long to dump ICE auto's in favor of EV's.
      What are your thoughts on this?
      https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/08/01/gm-electric-vehicles-mary-barra/5549426002/

• By David
      Today July 31st 2020 GM and EVgo anounced their partnership to grow the EVgo fast charging network in growing nationally fast chargers. 2,700 fast chargers will be paid for and added to the EVgo network of fast chargers nationally by 2025.
      EVgo currently has 800 fast chargers that allows EV's to fully charge battery packs from 15 to 30 mins. In support of GM's drive to be 100% renewable power, all EVgo chargers use renewable energy now and will continue for the additional 2,700 stations that are to be added to the network.
      To Quote the News Release:
      This EV charging announcement continues GM’s commitment to an all-electric future.
      The heart of GM’s strategy is a modular propulsion system and a highly flexible global EV platform powered by proprietary Ultium batteries, allowing the company to compete for nearly every customer in the market today, whether they are looking for affordable transportation, a luxury experience, work trucks or a high-performance machine. On Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020, Cadillac will reveal the luxury brand’s first fully electric vehicle, the Cadillac LYRIQ. Earlier this year, GM announced that the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant will be GM’s first plant that is 100 percent devoted to electric vehicles and in fall 2021, will start building the new GMC HUMMER EV. GM was the first automaker to launch a long-range, affordable EV in 2017 with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and will expand on the Bolt EV’s foundation with the introduction of the Bolt EUV in 2021.  In March 2020, GM announced plans to greatly expand employee workplace charging with the addition of 3,500 new plugs at GM facilities in the U.S. and Canada. In 2019, GM announced the creation of Ultium Cells LLC, a joint venture with LG Chem to mass-produce battery cells in Ohio for future battery-electric vehicles, and that GM is working with Qmerit to create a more accessible at-home charging solution. 1 Actual charge times will vary based on battery condition, output of charger, vehicle settings and outside temperature.
      https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jul/0731-evgo.html
    • By William Maley
      While the focus on the electric vehicles have been on the ultra plush and quick models from the likes of Tesla, Audi, and Jaguar, there is a lot of work being done for electric delivery vans. The combination of reduced maintenance, low fuel costs, and an abundance of torque to deal with heavy loads make them a perfect to do deliveries in urban areas. Rivian is the most-well known player here with plans to build out a fleet of electric vans for Amazon. Another player is ready to join the fight.
      Reuters reported yesterday that General Motors is working on a electric van for the commercial market. Five sources reveal that the van - codenamed BV1 - is expected to go into production late next year. It is expected to use Ultium battery technology that GM first talked about back in March. Utilizing this could solve one of the big issues with EVs, price. By switching Cobalt (expensive) for Aluminum (less expensive), GM says it will drop the cost of a battery to $100 per kilowatt-hour - making it around the same cost as regular gas powered van. Analysis done last year put the kilowatt-hour cost of a battery at $159. 
      One item still being debated internally is whether the van will be sold as Chevrolet, GMC, or a new brand. 
      When asked by Reuters, GM said it is “committed to an all-electric future and is implementing a multi-segment, scalable EV strategy to get there. At this time, we do not have any announcements to make regarding electric commercial vehicles.”
      GM isn't the only company getting on the electric van train. Ford has announced plans for an electric version of the Transit to launch in 2022, and British startup Arrival which has the backing of Hyundai, currently has an order of 10,000 vans from UPS.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      While the focus on the electric vehicles have been on the ultra plush and quick models from the likes of Tesla, Audi, and Jaguar, there is a lot of work being done for electric delivery vans. The combination of reduced maintenance, low fuel costs, and an abundance of torque to deal with heavy loads make them a perfect to do deliveries in urban areas. Rivian is the most-well known player here with plans to build out a fleet of electric vans for Amazon. Another player is ready to join the fight.
      Reuters reported yesterday that General Motors is working on a electric van for the commercial market. Five sources reveal that the van - codenamed BV1 - is expected to go into production late next year. It is expected to use Ultium battery technology that GM first talked about back in March. Utilizing this could solve one of the big issues with EVs, price. By switching Cobalt (expensive) for Aluminum (less expensive), GM says it will drop the cost of a battery to $100 per kilowatt-hour - making it around the same cost as regular gas powered van. Analysis done last year put the kilowatt-hour cost of a battery at $159. 
      One item still being debated internally is whether the van will be sold as Chevrolet, GMC, or a new brand. 
      When asked by Reuters, GM said it is “committed to an all-electric future and is implementing a multi-segment, scalable EV strategy to get there. At this time, we do not have any announcements to make regarding electric commercial vehicles.”
      GM isn't the only company getting on the electric van train. Ford has announced plans for an electric version of the Transit to launch in 2022, and British startup Arrival which has the backing of Hyundai, currently has an order of 10,000 vans from UPS.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Drew Dowdell

Oh goodie! Look what my mom mailed to me. Ha.....ha.
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

You betcha!
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

You’ve heard this theory that there are a large number of people walking around infected by the virus but completely asymptotic? After a day out running errands, I’m not convinced this is true. The virus is clearly having a cognitive impact on these people and they walk among us (or in front of us slowly, or just stand there in the middle of the aisle, or make left hand turns from the right hand lane, or argue with cashiers over 50 cent price discrepancy while there’s a line to the back of the store and it turns out they read the price wrong)
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

It’s been 10 years together!
      · 0 replies
    • Drew Dowdell

Was just told I "must not be much of a car guy" since I don't know about the 2025 Pontiac Firebird that has apparently been on the car show circuit recently. Must have been pretty well hidden since I've been to each of the big 4 US car shows every year since about 2010.
      · 0 replies
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook