My Flex on a perfect sunny day (flaws and all)

So during this "shutdown" on life as we know it, I decided to make use of my time and take some shots of my car since the weather and sun were just right today. And no, I did not vacuum my car before taking these hence my "flaws and all" line lol. Photos are completely unedited and "raw". Keep safe everyone!

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

• Agree 3

Flexes have absolutely grown on me. When they first came out, I thought they were atrocious. I think they're really good looking vehicles now. I wish I could have found one optioned the way I would have wanted in my price range when I was shopping last year. Oh well..

What's the spare tire in the hatch doing? 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Flexes have absolutely grown on me. When they first came out, I thought they were atrocious. I think they're really good looking vehicles now. I wish I could have found one optioned the way I would have wanted in my price range when I was shopping last year. Oh well..

What's the spare tire in the hatch doing? 

I was much the same but it has surpassed my expectations. The spare is a full size spare. I still have the donut underneath the 3rd row but after I had to switch out one of the front tires. I had them all replaced and bought an extra 20" matching wheel and used one the old tires on it (tread was more than fine but I swapped all tires out just get matching because the front two were different from the back two when I bought that car). I just carry it with me, just in case, because I refuse to ride on an 18" donut! Sadly, this mode of transport is because the 20" will not even come close to fitting in that wheel well. If I need to haul something, then I can just simply roll it out and put it back in later, and just roll the dice on never having to use that donut lol.

A little black and white post edit.

Flex_Black_and_White_1.jpg

Edited by surreal1272
Edited because clearly I was paying enough attention to what I was typing lol.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Your Flex looks great.  Interesting about the spare...I can't recall if my Jeep has a normal full size 20 inch spare tire/wheel or something smaller (they also came w/ 17" inch wheels in '14).  I recall checking the spare when on the lot before I bought it, but don't recall what's there...huge well under the rear cargo floor.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Dang, that was probably a pretty expensive spare wheel purchase but definitely worth it if you ever need it. 

What tires did you put on it? 

Found the rim used on eBay for $229 (some scratches on it) and I got a really good hookup on the tires themselves. The tires are Atrezzo Sailun (odd brand but has really solid reviews). They do have a better grip than my previous set that’s always a plus.

Overall I’m really happy with the Flex. My only gripe is that I wish I could have found an EcoBoost with relatively low miles. That extra power makes a world of difference. Still, no real complaints on that end. It will pass with ease on the freeway but the EcoBoost makes a big difference at the stop lights. Far more off the line punch. 

17 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Your Flex looks great.  Interesting about the spare...I can't recall if my Jeep has a normal full size 20 inch spare tire/wheel or something smaller (they also came w/ 17" inch wheels in '14).  I recall checking the spare when on the lot before I bought it, but don't recall what's there...huge well under the rear cargo floor.

Yeah, having an 18” donut on a 4600lb. car with 20s on it is just asinine which I why I went with an extra full size. What I may end up doing is finding a roof rack mounted carrier for it so that it will not be taking up space in the back. A little unconventional for a non four wheel drive SUV but then again, I’m pretty much unconventional all the time lol. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Too bad the Flex was never really updated for 2020 (especially their infotainment).  Otherwise, it would still be selling as opposed to cancelled.

Sadly, it was on borrowed time once they released the Explorer (the previous FWD generation) with pretty much the same features and powertrains with a more agreeable shape for the masses (I do not personally agree with said appeasement but it is what it is). The Explorer continued to get updated while the Flex did not. It was allowed to wither. 

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Sadly, it was on borrowed time once they released the Explorer (the previous FWD generation) with pretty much the same features and powertrains with a more agreeable shape for the masses (I do not personally agree with said appeasement but it is what it is). The Explorer continued to get updated while the Flex did not. It was allowed to wither. 

That is truly SAD.😢

It looks sharp.

I rarely like silver or grey on vehicles but the way yours has the tinted windows up front, the black roof and the black mags...they contrast amazingly with the silver body. In not so many words, your Flex looks great.

Ive driven a loaner Flex before...on one of those many  Fusion recalls, and Acura I think had given me a base Explorer (go figure...) on a TL recall, and I soooooo preferred the Flex for ride, handling, space.  

If I remember correctly, both had the 3.5 liter.   Which I am familiar with as I owned a 2009 Edge at one time with that 3.5 liter 6.   I liked that engine. Wish it was in my wife's Fusion. 

But Ill be honest, neither 3 were my cup of tea.  But between the three, in looks I do prefer the Edge, but the Flex has kinda grown on me over the years.  I still wouldnt own one. But I do like them.

And if I had to own one...Id take it like in the pic below, but chrome delete. I would prefer if the door handles were either body colour but better if they were black.  Your mags would be cool on it, but with red instead of the silver. 

Thinking about it,  and googling the 2009 Edge to remember myself how it looked, I think I prefer the Flex over the 2009 Edge.

Hmmmm.  Weird how this turned out.  

2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost  AWD

PS:  I prefer your Flex without the pinstriping as well! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

It looks sharp.

I rarely like silver or grey on vehicles but the way yours has the tinted windows up front, the black roof and the black mags...they contrast amazingly with the silver body. In not so many words, your Flex looks great.

Ive driven a loaner Flex before...on one of those many  Fusion recalls, and Acura I think had given me a base Explorer (go figure...) on a TL recall, and I soooooo preferred the Flex for ride, handling, space.  

If I remember correctly, both had the 3.5 liter.   Which I am familiar with as I owned a 2009 Edge at one time with that 3.5 liter 6.   I liked that engine. Wish it was in my wife's Fusion. 

But Ill be honest, neither 3 were my cup of tea.  But between the three, in looks I do prefer the Edge, but the Flex has kinda grown on me over the years.  I still wouldnt own one. But I do like them.

And if I had to own one...Id take it like in the pic below, but chrome delete. I would prefer if the door handles were either body colour but better if they were black.  Your mags would be cool on it, but with red instead of the silver. 

Thinking about it,  and googling the 2009 Edge to remember myself how it looked, I think I prefer the Flex over the 2009 Edge.

Hmmmm.  Weird how this turned out.  

2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost  AWD

PS:  I prefer your Flex without the pinstriping as well! 

Thanks and I agree about the silver. Without the black top and massively tinted windows (thanks Arizona lol), it would look very drab and boring. The two tone look looks sharp in just about any color combination with the black. Funny thing is, the pic you posted looks like there Eco-Boost model I wanted as my first choice but it was sold a week before I closed on my house. Oh well. Such is the luck lol.

Edited by surreal1272

The Flex hung on as long as it did because it's a fundamentally good idea.  Station wagons are a fundamentally good idea.  I always liked the Flex for its retro-modern aesthetic.  I like the dark teal color with white roof, or the ginger ale color.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The Flex hung on as long as it did because it's a fundamentally good idea.  Station wagons are a fundamentally good idea.  I always liked the Flex for its retro-modern aesthetic.  I like the dark teal color with white roof, or the ginger ale color.

The teal and white is a neat little color combo. It conveys that beach cruiser look that I like. And you are correct about the fundamentals. It has cargo carrying capabilities that are unmatched for its size. People don’t realize that it’s only an inch shorter than a Tahoe and you’d have to get one of those or an Expedition to get more room to haul your stuff. I am getting my money’s worth on that alone. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1