Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

A thing has been done....

Recommended Posts

Hey all.  Sorry I've been away for so long. Life has taken some very very weird turns for me in the last 8 months and I've been in some bad places.  I'll update you on all of that in another post.

In the meantime.....If you remember, I've been driving my partner's father's 2014 Cruze since November 18.  We took over the loan when we took the car and in May I got tired of the monthly payment so I just paid off the remaining $3.3k. We're keeping the Encore for now. It just passed 100k miles and has been great for us. It's in excellent condition, so we expect to have it for another 50k miles or so.

After the payoff, once he got the title, we transferred the Cruze into my name so that I could quickly trade it if I found something I wanted to replace it with.

Yesterday that something was found and I pulled the trigger.  I pick it up on Wednesday.  I'm not going to tell you what it is or give any hints.  If you're friends with me on Facebook you can't guess if you've seen any of my posts there.

So guys, what did I get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Cadillac to go with the Cadillac face mask?

XT5 or CT5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David said:

A Cadillac to go with the Cadillac face mask?

XT5 or CT5

I was thinking XT3 since it is closer to Encore sized.

Anyway, welcome back, Drew...we've missed you!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, David said:

A Cadillac to go with the Cadillac face mask?

XT5 or CT5

Incorrect.

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was thinking XT3 since it is closer to Encore sized.

Anyway, welcome back, Drew...we've missed you!

Interesting, but incorrect assumption of criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was thinking XT3 since it is closer to Encore sized.

Anyway, welcome back, Drew...we've missed you!

Drew talked about having more room for family, so that is why I went with the XT5, but I totally get the XT4 thinking.

Agree totally , Drew has been MISSED Big Time!!!

Welcome back Drew, so glad to have you posting again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David said:

Drew talked about having more room for family, so that is why I went with the XT5, but I totally get the XT4 thinking.

Agree totally , Drew has been MISSED Big Time!!!

Welcome back Drew, so glad to have you posting again.

You're on the right track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You're on the right track.

Family with room auto, Facebook has images not available or shared to limited set of people. 

🤔

He did talk about a Crewcab truck at one time and like the avalanche. 

So if not a Demo'd discounted XT6, could it be an Escalade EXT or F-150 crew cab? Or did I go cold?

Guess the logical next question is did you go car, CUV/SUV or Truck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David said:

Family with room auto, Facebook has images not available or shared to limited set of people. 

🤔

He did talk about a Crewcab truck at one time and like the avalanche. 

So if not a Demo'd discounted XT6, could it be an Escalade EXT or F-150 crew cab? Or did I go cold?

Guess the logical next question is did you go car, CUV/SUV or Truck?

I do recall discussion of Merc GLE/GLS, Grand Cherokee Summit and Durango also at one time..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I do recall discussion of Merc GLE/GLS, Grand Cherokee Summit and Durango also at one time..

So true, I had forgotten about that. H'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🤔

  • Cadillac XT6
  • Cadillac Escalade EXT
  • Chevrolet Avalanche
  • Ford F-150 Crew Cab
  • Mercedes-Benz GLS/GLE
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Dodge Durango

OK, we got our list for people to vote on since Drew has confirmed it is one of these.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll make you math.  You should know my fleet. The Cruze will go away.  Once the new vehicle has joined the fleet and the Cruze is gone, my cylinder count in my driveway will be 25% higher than it is today. That should narrow the list down slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

4+4+8=16 now

4+8+8=20   25% more

so a V8 replacing a 4, keeping the Encore and Toronado. 
my guess is the GLS or Durango. 

Edited by Robert Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number of turbos in my driveway is currently 1.  That will remain the case after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Durango, GC, F-150 or EXT all have 8 with no turbo. :) 

I am guessing F-150 with my Backup being Durango.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking a full-size truck or SUV would have trouble fitting in your driveway (thought it was steep/narrow and required a turn at the bottom to get in the garage), but then I remember you had an Avalanche previously.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was thinking a full-size truck or SUV would have trouble fitting in your driveway (thought it was steep/narrow and required a turn at the bottom to get in the garage), but then I remember you had an Avalanche previously.  

So what is your guess???????????????? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was thinking a full-size truck or SUV would have trouble fitting in your driveway (thought it was steep/narrow and required a turn at the bottom to get in the garage), but then I remember you had an Avalanche previously.  

The Toronado goes in the garage, but even if it didn't, this would not fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, David said:

So what is your guess???????????????? 🤔

I'm still going w/ the largish 3 row NA-V8 SUVs...Durango or previous gen GLS... smaller than the BOF full size SUVs and more manageable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

3G

So the MB GLS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...the Durango is in it's 3rd generation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3G makes me think Escalade EXT which had 3G cell connectivity. 🤔

Wonder what other auto's in that list had 3G........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Hmmm...the Durango is in it's 3rd generation.   

Also wrong train, wrong track. Its not a Durango 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🤔 So just found a writeup on how to identify your Ford 3G, 4G and 6G alternators. 

https://alternatorparts.com/ford-type-3g-4g-6g-series-high-output-alternators.html

That makes me think an F-150 Crew cab pickup with a trailer hitch for his rack to hold his bike.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waaaaay overthinking it.

This will however handle the mototote to carry my motorcycle (when I buy that).

The clue 3G is actually very simple.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

hmmmm.   GMC doesn't have a model that starts w/ G with a trim level starting with G, so that seems to rule that out...

Or 3 row GMC..an Acadia or Yukon? 

Edited by Robert Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, trying to NOT overthink this,

Jeep Grand Cherokee which model year has the 3G Uconnect system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

hmmmm.   GMC doesn't have a model that starts w/ G with a trim level starting with G, so that seems to rule that out...

Or 3 row GMC..an Acadia or Yukon? 

Nope. It’s definitely on the bulleted list that @David posted earlier. It’s one of those 7.

3G can be decoded to tell you exactly what I got. This might be too much of a clue, so if you get it, just hold on to it for now. I want to see if @balthazar can get this one from the clues given.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David said:

OK, trying to NOT overthink this,

Jeep Grand Cherokee which model year has the 3G Uconnect system.

True...but it is a 2 row..I think he wanted something larger.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry; have had some depressing automotive news today; my detective hat is on it's hook. 😔

I think knowing what I know in general, the JGC fits the best RE DD's scenario, but I don't know.  Not picking up on '3G'.  Sorry.


- - - - -
grumpiness & sadness 😔

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Sorry; have had some depressing automotive news today; my detective hat is on it's hook. 😔

I think knowing what I know in general, the JGC fits the best RE DD's scenario, but I don't know.  Not picking up on '3G'.  Sorry.


- - - - -
grumpiness & sadness 😔

3G+15?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Sorry; have had some depressing automotive news today; my detective hat is on it's hook. 😔

I think knowing what I know in general, the JGC fits the best RE DD's scenario, but I don't know.  Not picking up on '3G'.  Sorry.


- - - - -
grumpiness & sadness 😔

What depressing auto news happened today Balthazar?

Sorry Drew to hijack the thread, just wanting to hear what happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drewbert, you left us hangin' on a hook like a Speedo at a pool party.  WHAT DID YOU BUY, MAN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Drewbert, you left us hangin' on a hook like a Speedo at a pool party.  WHAT DID YOU BUY, MAN?

I’m going to keep you all hanging until one of you gets it or I pick it up on Wednesday. But there are plenty of clues in this thread and you all know me well enough to figure it out.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I hope you enjoy your Avalanche.  Post pics asap.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

 and you all know me well enough to figure it out.

I Dont Know You Anymore GIFs | Tenor

You left us in the middle of the night without warning.  :(  

You never told us what, where, why.  You never even said goodbye.  :angry:

Pin by Dara Johnson on SW // ☆ Anakin Skywalker ☆ | My heart is breaking,  Star wars awesome, Tumblr movie

 

So now, you come back and you think everything will be alright?  Just like it was before?  

aftermath – Mos Eisley Chronicles

Come here you big lug!  Give me a hug!

aftermath – Mos Eisley Chronicles

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy timewarp, Batman.  Smoooooth!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet truck..like the color.  I haven't seen a 2nd gen Avalanche in ages in any condition. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Drew Dowdell CONGRATULATIONS! That is a Beauty!!!

beautiful adventure time GIF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Sweet truck..like the color.  I haven't seen a 2nd gen Avalanche in ages in any condition. 

I see them all the time. They have taunted me so!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you going to keep it stock, or lift it on 35s for the brodozer look or slam it on 26s?

1d2f44b94d653e6926adfeacb73672f6.jpg

09ChevyAvalanche1-49116.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ it’s bizarre that one of those descriptors is tires, the other is rims, yet we’re all communicating here.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither, I will mostly keep it stock. I may swap out the grille, headlights, and tail lights for something more modern. I’ll keep it subtle and tasteful though.

but, because it’s been sitting so long, I have to change a lot of the fluids out. I’ll be doing an oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change, diff oil change, and possibly tires if they’re dry rotted. So that will need to be addressed first... 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh and what’s everyone’s opinion on rust proofing undercoating?

being on the east coast, totally support doing that. I would also do the coating on the wheel well's which helps keep things quieter from rocks. 

I totally agree with what this site says about it.

https://soundproofguide.com/vehicle-undercoating-for-noise-reduction/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see you are back Drew.

Are you planning to do anything about infotainment system?  Install Carplay/Android Auto compatible system?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ykX said:

Glad to see you are back Drew.

Are you planning to do anything about infotainment system?  Install Carplay/Android Auto compatible system?

Not at this time.  In unrelated news, after over a decade with Android (I was on the original G1 phone), I jumped ship to Apple and bought an iPhone 11 Pro in June.  My Pixel XL battery could no longer hold a charge.  The current Pixel 4XL got terrible reviews, particularly around battery life and I couldn't wait any longer for the 5 to come out in October.  So my iPhone 11 should work with the inbuilt system for playing music.  I pretty much only use Apple Music now and that works well in my Buick's system.  So in light of the fact that I need to do all the fluids, undercoating, and possibly tires, a sound system is pretty low on the priority list. 

The other reason I'm not going to do it soon is that I don't like any of the head units that are out there.  Nearly all of them light up like you're throwing some sort of disco party.  I don't like that. I want something that looks as close to the stock system as possible.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not at this time.  In unrelated news, after over a decade with Android (I was on the original G1 phone), I jumped ship to Apple and bought an iPhone 11 Pro in June.  My Pixel XL battery could no longer hold a charge.  The current Pixel 4XL got terrible reviews, particularly around battery life and I couldn't wait any longer for the 5 to come out in October.  So my iPhone 11 should work with the inbuilt system for playing music.  I pretty much only use Apple Music now and that works well in my Buick's system.  So in light of the fact that I need to do all the fluids, undercoating, and possibly tires, a sound system is pretty low on the priority list. 

The other reason I'm not going to do it soon is that I don't like any of the head units that are out there.  Nearly all of them light up like you're throwing some sort of disco party.  I don't like that. I want something that looks as close to the stock system as possible.

The disco party thing is a reason I ended up with the following head unit in my SS. No party just a clean interface and works great with Android / Apple.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-2500NEX#downloads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

These are the headlight clusters I'm considering....

2020-08-10 (1).png

2020-08-10 (2).png

I really like these. They have my Vote for the new headlights to get.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, David said:

I really like these. They have my Vote for the new headlights to get.

Yeah, those are my favorite also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wanted to see how the first set of lights would look like...as I was intrigued by that C shaped LED look.  

Amazon.com: AmeriLite 2007-2013 Super Bright LED Bar Projector Black  Headlights Pair For Chevy Avalanche Suburban Tahoe - Passenger and Driver  Side: Automotive

 

And I decided...yeah...no way!   The look gets cheapened by the halogen looking parking lights on the bottom cluster.

Then I came across a direct front view of the second set of lights

AlphaRex For 07-14 Chevy Tahoe/07-14 Suburban/07-13 Avalanche Polished  Black DRL LED Tube Dual Projector Headlights Left/Right Replacement  Assembly: Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

And the there is something missing in the middle so although I DO prefer the 2 set upper projector and 2 set lower projector look  rather than the Acura style jewel cluster look, JUST BECAUSE the middle of the clusters there is that double LED separation, THAT creates harmony NOT only between the top and bottom lights,  but with the grille  too.

THEREFORE, I also think the third set of lights is best.  

For 07-14 Chevy Tahoe Surburban Avalanche Chrome Nova Projector Headlights  | eBay

 

My ideal would be the dual projectors on top, the jewels on the bottom with the double LED separation in the middle. If there was such a thing...

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

8e519d2ae61447a2aee3f323ce6a1c01.jpg

Nice exterior color, indeed.  However, I've got to say that, for their trucks/SUVs/CUVs, GM seems to make more attractive instrument panels and interiors than other car makers ... nice lines, contours, etc.  Enjoy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David said:

The disco party thing is a reason I ended up with the following head unit in my SS. No party just a clean interface and works great with Android / Apple.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-2500NEX#downloads

Have you ever seen an aftermarket system that can still do the car brand logo on bootup like the OEM systems do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Have you ever seen an aftermarket system that can still do the car brand logo on bootup like the OEM systems do?

Hi Drew, I know most of the smart head units now have theme that allows you to choose the background image. Reading the owners guide for my head unit which I have never changed the default theme, it would seem that you can do this. I will test it it on my system this week and let ya know.

My habit is to remote start the auto, unlock, get in and plug in my phone and the first thing I see is the Android screen, so I honestly have not looked to see what it does when you manually start the auto. I will test this and let you know.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be careful with rustproofing/undercoating, as sometimes built-in (air and water) drainage channels get blocked and make matters worse.  I don't see how it can hurt if carefully applied though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a fine looking Avalanche.  I think the brake line problem with GM trucks of earlier gens involved moisture in the lines, allowing the lines to weaken and burst with pressure.  My Dad and brother have '03 and '04 Silverado 1500s, and both of them had full stainless lines installed after failure of the factory lines.  This only occurred in the last couple of years, so they went a long time.  It is a widespread problem, though.  I haven't heard that it persisted into trucks as new as your Avalanche.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the brake lines on my '04 2500HD... maybe 6 years ago [It's written down in the log book].
Inline Tube stainless. Also did the fuel lines (GM there).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, ocnblu said:

That is a fine looking Avalanche.  I think the brake line problem with GM trucks of earlier gens involved moisture in the lines, allowing the lines to weaken and burst with pressure.  My Dad and brother have '03 and '04 Silverado 1500s, and both of them had full stainless lines installed after failure of the factory lines.  This only occurred in the last couple of years, so they went a long time.  It is a widespread problem, though.  I haven't heard that it persisted into trucks as new as your Avalanche.

There's a Suburban on Albert's side of the family with 120k miles on it.  I don't remember the exact year, but it's the same generation as my truck.  That Suburban had to have the brake lines done a couple years ago and it was prohibitively expensive.  The kicker was that they're south west of DC and don't get much snow, so salt isn't used often and yet those lines still went.

That's the situation I'm trying to avoid. 

I've bought a bunch of accessories for it.  I bought a shorty antenna to replace the whip one. I got a center console organizer. I bought rubber cupholder inserts for all 4 spots. I found a NOS bag for the tonneau covers from a 2004 because for some reason GM stopped including the bag and instead supplied a strap system (which I have).  I bought a trailer receiver cover. I've ordered a better magnetic phone mount that is super thin and will be barely noticeable. 

I have 3 road trip scheduled in it over the next three weekends. I have to head to north of philly to help my grandmother move into assisted living next weekend, then I have a vacation in the western maryland mountains, and then back to see my grandmother again.  

I am so happy with this truck, it's been great.

Also, my dad did a thing too.  His 1993 F-150 with 500k miles finally toasted the engine.  He's keeping it and putting a new engine in it.  But in the meantime, he bought a 2017 F250 Superduty CrewCab with the 8ft bed and the 6.7 TD. Bought it from Texas so it's completely rust free. 75k miles.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh also, he has a name!

I have always always always named my vehicles with female names (when they got anthropomorphized names, not all did).... I've had Eva, Victoria, Debbie, Ernestine, and Norma.  

But none of the female names I was mulling over seemed to fit... it just doesn't feel like a female vehicle.

So in the end, I decided I liked Gus. He's named after Gus Kenworthy, the hot, out, Olympic Gold winning skier. You know.. Avalanche... snow skiing... that's the connection.

set_gus_kenworthy_espn_magazine_640.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 6:11 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

There's a place I'm looking at near work that it's their specialty and it's all they do.  They'll do a descaling and then rust proof it. It's $596 and includes underbody and all body insides. They include annual checkups and touchups for 7 years/unlimited miles. One thing I know is an issue with this generation is the brake lines rusting out, so I want them to pay special attention to that.  http://www.rustrepairinc.com/

I only had time to get some video last night.  I'll take some more pictures this weekend.  We're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon, so I doubt I'll be taking any pics today.

 

 

Congrats and welcome to the full-size Chevy truck club man! That's quite an upgrade and size increase over the Buick Encore, don't scrape the shiny wheels on a curb cutting corners, Gus needs much more room to turn in corners :D👍🏼:unitedstates: 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a front plate..... what do you guys recommend.

I saw a chrome one with the gold bowtie logo on it, but I felt that might be a bit over the top with all the other chrome up front and of course the giant gold bowtie on the grille. 

Link me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Na I don't think I want one of those... just something to go in the front plate spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Avalanche front plate is nice, a bit pricey..

https://www.etrailer.com/License-Plates-and-Frames/DWD-Plastics/312770.html

Now that Ohio no longer requires a front plate, I've thought of getting a Jeep plate for my Jeep...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

This Avalanche front plate is nice, a bit pricey..

https://www.etrailer.com/License-Plates-and-Frames/DWD-Plastics/312770.html

Now that Ohio no longer requires a front plate, I've thought of getting a Jeep plate for my Jeep...

 

Ooooh I like that!

I may have a problem 

A44EDED6-FC27-4051-940E-DE3337736C24.jpeg4AB20DF5-7D63-4A66-B63A-4EF7FE1C836A.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the one I posted is a first-gen font on the "Avalanche" nameplate.  Robert's font matches your truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook