Fall back on some car spotting for November

I don't see many of these anymore.  Most are in the car graveyard in the sky somewhere.  Or, hopefully, recycled.

This is an Olds Silhouette minivan from GM's first whack at minivans ... the ones with the long snout.

KIMG4027.thumb.JPG.21063381e09a22fa3ea3f1a86299f770.JPG

In reviews I've read of these, it said driving one seemed like you were driving them from the back seat!

KIMG4029-ink.thumb.jpg.dcdc45fbcfb413c08dda8e21b61814b9.jpg

I'm guessing early '90s.  It's in incredible condition - the body, the hardware, an original paint color, and it's badged to have a 3800, probably a Series I.  No wonder it has been around for so long.

Of the GM minivans, I'd give the nod to the Olds Silhouette, followed by the Pontiac Trans Sport, and then the Chevy Venture/Lumina.

• Agree 2

Haven't seen a dustbuster van in ages...I remember the product placement they did in the movie 'Get Shorty' when John Travolta's character drove one, and boasted it was the 'Cadillac of minivans'...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Haven't seen a dustbuster van in ages...

Thank you!  I had forgotten that nickname ... a "Dustbuster."  Perfect.

(Probably one of those things that didn't resonate with GM's marketing department)

• Agree 1

Saw a FWD Monte Carlo Pace car labeled car while leaving Home Depot, looked very clean until the person stepped on the gas and the blue/white smoke came out the tail pipe today.

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It’s that old? It was in great shape and most old mustangs around here are beat to hell

With those light clusters, it's the refreshed 2010.  The 4.0 was replaced w/ the 3.7 Duratec V6 in 2011...

• Thanks 1

Spotted November 7 while parking to get a haircut; with some of the trees displaying autumn foliage, this car and its rust color, for the first time, reminded me of an autumn color, too.  It's a Buick, an Envision, I believe, and a recent color for them.

KIMG4101.thumb.JPG.b26e5e784fffb206f3439c5cad082ef9.JPG

I don't know what I think about these. I'm thinking ...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Spotted November 8

You crawl up and up in a parking deck and you find more parking spaces.  You also find nicer or more interesting cars their owners chose to park there.

This one was quite the sighting ... it had temporary tags and, after wondering what year it was, it turned out to be a 1986 in stunning condition.

KIMG4113.thumb.JPG.0a2551a77021b954d986561dda398e02.JPG

Proud looking Regal Limited coupe ... any millennial driving by wouldn't understand why'd I'd be photographing it

KIMG4116.thumb.JPG.15912586bf3004cf75e2bbaf9557b827.JPG

Less is more with the simple Buick alloys - they did the trick without being overpowering.  Of the quadruplets, the Cutlass Supreme took first place from 1981 through 1987, with the Regal and the Grand Prix probably tied for second.

KIMG4129.thumb.JPG.ab21427e9410136a6ab1e54562bc4a6a.JPG

It's in perfect condition ... look at how the landau top meets the sheet metal

KIMG4122.thumb.JPG.00522e222f62fc655685712096b72a55.JPG

A Limited model with manual windows!  Buick went with a tic-tac-toe set of squares for their bezels in the IP.  My dad had an earlier '80s model sedan, also in Limited form, and it's a nice cabin environment.  This one is air conditioned.

KIMG4127.thumb.JPG.0c85c58ffc8b4d2e33c54f7ddea937e4.JPG

We will never again see tufted velour seating in upline American cars.  Or, maybe things do come full circle.  This is taken from the rear of the notchback styled window treatment.

While this wouldn't "make" Clint Eastwood's day, seeing this near perfect Regal Limited coupe from an era gone by sort of made my day that day.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 3

51 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Spotted November 7 while parking to get a haircut; with some of the trees displaying autumn foliage, this car and its rust color, for the first time, reminded me of an autumn color, too.  It's a Buick, an Envision, I believe, and a recent color for them.

KIMG4101.thumb.JPG.b26e5e784fffb206f3439c5cad082ef9.JPG

I don't know what I think about these. I'm thinking ...

Encore GX.  Sized between the Encore and Envision.    Buick version of the Chevy Trailblazer. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Encore GX.  Sized between the Encore and Envision.    Buick version of the Chevy Trailblazer. 

I didn't even know such a niche existed.  Thanks.  I'm guessing 1.4 T or 2.0 T.  I sort of liked the last Envision for what it is, and thought the styling up front was tamer and easier on the eyes, but I'll have to figure out what I think of the most recent redesign.

Saw a final gen. Riviera today, the one with the oval in the back.

That means it was about a 25 year old car.  It had temporary plates.  The body was in okay condition.  Except that it was missing the door to its fuel filler.  The color was hard to describe ... something like a dark cherry metallic.

In concept, the last Riv was fine.  When looking straight at it, the oval in the back looks sort of scrunched up.  It's looks better when viewed from an angle.  I think there are other things about the last Riv that detract - the length of the trunk in relation to the hood and the preying mantis front fascia, among some other minor issues.  However, I really liked its dash - the uninterrupted cowl across the top and the circular bezels and gauges in a panel that leans away from the driver.

You can't help but notice them.

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Saw a final gen. Riviera today, the one with the oval in the back.

That means it was about a 25 year old car.  It had temporary plates.  The body was in okay condition.  Except that it was missing the door to its fuel filler.  The color was hard to describe ... something like a dark cherry metallic.

In concept, the last Riv was fine.  When looking straight at it, the oval in the back looks sort of scrunched up.  It's looks better when viewed from an angle.  I think there are other things about the last Riv that detract - the length of the trunk in relation to the hood and the preying mantis front fascia, among some other minor issues.  However, I really liked its dash - the uninterrupted cowl across the top and the circular bezels and gauges in a panel that leans away from the driver.

You can't help but notice them.

This one plus the Park Avenue was a time when Buick was trying to be an American Jaguar at its top end.  Look at a final Park Avenue and an XJ of the same year and tell me you don't see similar lines.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This one plus the Park Avenue was a time when Buick was trying to be an American Jaguar at its top end.  Look at a final Park Avenue and an XJ of the same year and tell me you don't see similar lines.

The 2005-2009 LaCrosse also pushed this design dynamic.  With that inset lamp between the headlamps and the grille, and the rounded hood channel leading up to it, reviewers have made the comparison to Jaguar.  The rear tail lamps on the car are trying to say Mercedes.  Of the very last cars Buick put out, the Regal was definitely Euro-Germanic while the Verano and 3rd gen and final LaCrosse were unmistakably American.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Renews my wish for a new, truly compact pickup truck.

Take a time machine and you can get this awesome little 1980 truck in your color. They even sold it in Diesel.

image.png

In Highschool and College, I had my dads 1976 Luv Truck in White like this one.

image.png

Awesome little trucks, solid and just went. So much better than the S10 Chevrolet replaced it with initially.

• Haha 2

Old brand new, CT5 Sport, TTV6, red rims from the factory. Shocking.

20201124_140615.jpg

Will have to say, while not a fan of the 2021 Escalade as the front end says Chevrolet to me, the interior is freaking awesome as is the quality of leather and large LCD dash screen. Was surprised that a basic Escalade ESV Sport edition was $103,959 with destination charge.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

On 11/21/2020 at 9:02 AM, David said:

So much better than the S10 Chevrolet replaced it with initially.

I realize you may be hermetically sealed up there in Warshington, but down here, LUV trucks were immediate rust buckets... plus they were cramped for people my size (5'5").  The S-10 was a complete REVELATION v. the LUV.  I still chuckle when I remember the story of racks of truck beds sitting at port (shipped separately from Japon - that's French for trinacriabob) RUSTING from the salt air before they were even bolted to the frames on BRAND NEW pickups of all Japanese brands.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I realize you may be hermetically sealed up there in Warshington, but down here, LUV trucks were immediate rust buckets... plus they were cramped for people my size (5'5").  The S-10 was a complete REVELATION v. the LUV.  I still chuckle when I remember the story of racks of truck beds sitting at port (shipped separately from Japon - that's French for trinacriabob) RUSTING from the salt air before they were even bolted to the frames on BRAND NEW pickups of all Japanese brands.

If the east coast did not destroy the environment with so much SALT, they would not have all rusted out. Guess that is another reason they lasted so long on the west coast is we use environmentally sound chemicals on snow and iced roads and not salt.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ True, dat. There's a reason the '70s Japanese trucks were replaced; they were horrible. And the reason none are left by the '90s is the dreaded tin worm.

I had no rust problems as did my dad with our 1976 Chevy Luv Series 5 pickup. I honestly think how you care for something shows how long it lasts.

Yes, I know Japanese, Korean and Chinese have all built crap products too just like American auto companies, but I think anything can last if properly cared and cleaned. Sadly, cleaning of auto's based on my times living and working there is not a thing that is done often on the east coast.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Poor metallurgy, not merely salt. datsuns, nissans, toyoters, honda of the '70s all died furiously quick deaths.  Then you'd have a vehicle like a Dodge Dart lasting commonly into the '00s as a daily driver.

BTW, the environment here is peachy.  And not all East Coast states use/used salt.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, David said:

Take a time machine and you can get this awesome little 1980 truck in your color. They even sold it in Diesel.

image.png

In Highschool and College, I had my dads 1976 Luv Truck in White like this one.

image.png

Awesome little trucks, solid and just went. So much better than the S10 Chevrolet replaced it with initially.

Anymore, these look like something from a communist country

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Putting the sightings into the right slots ... November 19 for this one ... south suburbs of Houston, TX.

KIMG4478.thumb.JPG.6def64499fbf020d1710541f6d628d92.JPG

It was dusk, but it's obvious that, if a hurricane doesn't come up from the Gulf, these old cars can last quite a while.  What a hoot.  About as goofy as a Maverick.

• Agree 1

November 21 sightings, down by the Gulf ...

Of the Ford variety:

KIMG4678.thumb.JPG.a23161bcdacbbf3368c4c46eefeabcee.JPG

Of the Chevrolet variety:

KIMG4743.thumb.JPG.8f85af7cdedfc256c062030e6c71ef0b.JPG

Sidebar:  really like seeing the new mid-engine Corvette when I do see one!

KIMG4761.thumb.JPG.6f1bd4d3624b510e689eae96ae21233b.JPG

What can I say except "See the U.S.A., in a Chevrolet."

• Agree 3

November 21 sighting, down by the Gulf ... special mention!

Something of the classic and unknown (to me) variety in pristine condition:

KIMG4699.thumb.JPG.d514089d7e05dfe3b5bce2d06ef8f549.JPG

In front of a historic registered building, no less ...

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

December gloom here currently, not seeing much interesting.   Went out today, saw a purple Challenger SRT w/ the yellow air dam shipping protectors on... and was at a light behind a Chevy Equinox w/ an Oklahoma plate..odd to see in Parma, Ohio.  It had a Chevy dealer plate frame from Bartlesville, where my sister worked for a couple years at ConocoPhillips about a decade ago.  Interesting coincidence...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

... and was at a light behind a Chevy Equinox w/ an Oklahoma plate..odd to see in Parma, Ohio.  It had a Chevy dealer plate frame from Bartlesville

Bartlesville, OK ... this immediately comes to mind.

Price_tower.jpg

The first time I saw this, I thought it was a cartoon.  I learned it was real.  It's the 19 story Price Tower by the mercurial Frank Lloyd Wright and is his only skyscraper that came to fruition.  

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Bartlesville, OK ... this immediately comes to mind.

Price_tower.jpg

The first time I saw this, I thought it was a cartoon.  I learned it was real.  It's the 19 story Price Tower by the mercurial Frank Lloyd Wright and is his only skyscraper that came to fruition.  

Yes..there is a restaurant/bar in there, my sister went a few times and took pics.   There are a lot of interesting MCM houses in Bartlesville also...the Price Tower was seen in a movie w/ Ben Affleck that was filmed there some years ago also. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

On 11/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, trinacriabob said:

The 2005-2009 LaCrosse also pushed this design dynamic.  With that inset lamp between the headlamps and the grille, and the rounded hood channel leading up to it, reviewers have made the comparison to Jaguar.  The rear tail lamps on the car are trying to say Mercedes.  Of the very last cars Buick put out, the Regal was definitely Euro-Germanic while the Verano and 3rd gen and final LaCrosse were unmistakably American.

I like that generation and the final of the LaCrosse. Really wish my wife ahd liked the LaCrosse....I remembert when we were debating the new Conti from Lincoln...and I was thinking the LaCrosse looked so much better. 

54 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes..there is a restaurant/bar in there, my sister went a few times and took pics.   There are a lot of interesting MCM houses in Bartlesville also...

I love MCM houses. 

Tokyo Hotel by Wright, always liked this design...

Frank Lloyd Wright merged east and west at Tokyo's Imperial Hotel

Sadly torn down...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Boss 302

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Old Beatles pic....with a Rolls....

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and shoes

Benz.....

130804036_10221688960546786_436571923027

On 12/6/2020 at 2:33 PM, trinacriabob said:

Putting the sightings into the right slots ... November 19 for this one ... south suburbs of Houston, TX.

KIMG4478.thumb.JPG.6def64499fbf020d1710541f6d628d92.JPG

It was dusk, but it's obvious that, if a hurricane doesn't come up from the Gulf, these old cars can last quite a while.  What a hoot.  About as goofy as a Maverick.

My Grandmother had a sister car to this. 

• Haha 1

The benz and stang were jus random car pics, but I did see this while I was getting coffee at McDonalds;

No description available.

Oddly after that I saw several wagons of that GM era on the road over the next few hours...more than I have seen in years. 

On 11/27/2020 at 12:31 AM, trinacriabob said:

Anymore, these look like something from a communist country

Neat little trucks. I liked these, the S10, and the Colroado. 

On 11/24/2020 at 7:27 PM, balthazar said:

^ True, dat. There's a reason the '70s japanese trucks were replaced; they were horrible. And the reason none are left by the '90s is the dreaded tin worm.

I did see a near mint 80 ish Toyota pick up converted into an RV, guy was travelling the country in it. Odd Unicorn. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, David said:

My sons 2017 Rhino colored Jeep GC. Still looking good!

20201126_152546.jpg

I love that color...

On 11/24/2020 at 10:16 PM, David said:

If the east coast did not destroy the environment with so much SALT, they would not have all rusted out. Guess that is another reason they lasted so long on the west coast is we use environmentally sound chemicals on snow and iced roads and not salt.

I had no rust problems as did my dad with our 1976 Chevy Luv Series 5 pickup. I honestly think how you care for something shows how long it lasts.

Yes, I know Japanese, Korean and Chinese have all built crap products too just like American auto companies, but I think anything can last if properly cared and cleaned. Sadly, cleaning of auto's based on my times living and working there is not a thing that is done often on the east coast.

In Ohio these rusted to death within 3 years, jsut like the horrible Vega and anything Italian of the era. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Old Beatles pic....with a Rolls....

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and shoes

Benz.....

130804036_10221688960546786_436571923027

As for the Rolls, precursors to "Poverty Sucks," perhaps?

As for the Benz, "Irma Bunt, where are you?"

• Agree 1

November 25 sighting, again on the Gulf ... as in way, way south on the Gulf ...

A Park Avenue for sale, complete with a burgundy leather interior - not in bad shape for the scorching sun found here ...

KIMG5181.thumb.JPG.4264bcfad9d77c534285cef0d162cf93.JPG

KIMG5183_inked.thumb.jpg.d0f65185e9bdcf477088565b819a9802.jpg

KIMG5186_inked.thumb.jpg.48bb02fa90c7e473b6598cca601dba75.jpg

KIMG5184.thumb.JPG.e8e5f127deb25be9ccefea267be8c54f.JPG

Literally on the other side of the street, a 2005 (no trunk lock) Pontiac Grand Prix in Fusion Orange Metallic.  It had MN plates.  There's a slight difference in the front fender, now that I look at this.  This might have been the only W body GM car to feature this paint color. 

KIMG5188.thumb.JPG.e5ea5c91321827a4e646af2c2148a09e.JPG

KIMG5189.thumb.JPG.81263c6d6f329727948686e872585fe1.JPG

I could probably drive a metallic rust colored GP. They have certainly held up for the 13 to 16 years that this body style has been around.

• Agree 1

Saw a Buick like that yesterday, white also.  A local independent repair shop has 3 older Buicks parked along the side of their lot--a late 80s-early 90s LeSabre 4dr (the really square ones), an early 00s Century, and a white PA like that.  I wonder if the shop owner has a Buick fetish or a lot of older customers that have older Buicks.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

@Robert Hall That IS a valid question.  Possibly a little bit of both.  An independent mechanic I'm using more lately has some of the better GM vehicles parked in front where the owner would park his park.  I guess he likes the better GM models with the better engines.

I was slightly more partial to the smaller and boxier P.A. and LeSabre.  Some of the ones after that got too bulbous.  I once had the opportunity to drive one of the last square P.A.s, in uplevel trim, from Dallas to Houston and it was one serene riding sled.

• Agree 1

I remember having an '03ish Park Avenue Ultra as a rental back in the day, a long weekend in Chicago in summer...I remember it being a very comfortable, quiet ride...a change from my usual Town Car/Grand Marquis/Impala/Intrepid rentals...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

November 25 sighting, again on the Gulf ... as in way, way south on the Gulf ...

A Park Avenue for sale, complete with a burgundy leather interior - not in bad shape for the scorching sun found here ...

KIMG5181.thumb.JPG.4264bcfad9d77c534285cef0d162cf93.JPG

KIMG5183_inked.thumb.jpg.d0f65185e9bdcf477088565b819a9802.jpg

KIMG5186_inked.thumb.jpg.48bb02fa90c7e473b6598cca601dba75.jpg

KIMG5184.thumb.JPG.e8e5f127deb25be9ccefea267be8c54f.JPG

Literally on the other side of the street, a 2005 (no trunk lock) Pontiac Grand Prix in Fusion Orange Metallic.  It had MN plates.  There's a slight difference in the front fender, now that I look at this.  This might have been the only W body GM car to feature this paint color. 

KIMG5188.thumb.JPG.e5ea5c91321827a4e646af2c2148a09e.JPG

KIMG5189.thumb.JPG.81263c6d6f329727948686e872585fe1.JPG

I could probably drive a metallic rust colored GP. They have certainly held up for the 13 to 16 years that this body style has been around.

Those old Park avenues were awesome. 

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I remember having an '03ish Park Avenue Ultra as a rental back in the day, a long weekend in Chicago in summer...I remember it being a very comfortable, quiet ride...a change from my usual Town Car/Grand Marquis/Impala/Intrepid rentals...

A very stout long distance cruiser. 

• Like 1