Fall back on some car spotting for November

I don't see many of these anymore.  Most are in the car graveyard in the sky somewhere.  Or, hopefully, recycled.

This is an Olds Silhouette minivan from GM's first whack at minivans ... the ones with the long snout.

KIMG4027.thumb.JPG.21063381e09a22fa3ea3f1a86299f770.JPG

In reviews I've read of these, it said driving one seemed like you were driving them from the back seat!

KIMG4029-ink.thumb.jpg.dcdc45fbcfb413c08dda8e21b61814b9.jpg

I'm guessing early '90s.  It's in incredible condition - the body, the hardware, an original paint color, and it's badged to have a 3800, probably a Series I.  No wonder it has been around for so long.

Of the GM minivans, I'd give the nod to the Olds Silhouette, followed by the Pontiac Trans Sport, and then the Chevy Venture/Lumina.

• Upvote 2

Haven't seen a dustbuster van in ages...I remember the product placement they did in the movie 'Get Shorty' when John Travolta's character drove one, and boasted it was the 'Cadillac of minivans'...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Haven't seen a dustbuster van in ages...

Thank you!  I had forgotten that nickname ... a "Dustbuster."  Perfect.

(Probably one of those things that didn't resonate with GM's marketing department)

• Upvote 1

Saw a FWD Monte Carlo Pace car labeled car while leaving Home Depot, looked very clean until the person stepped on the gas and the blue/white smoke came out the tail pipe today.

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Did I miss a Ford press release on mustang engines?

C9868A89-F4F2-477B-9C93-142797745713.jpeg

aftermarket decal?  The base engine in the Mustang was a 4.0 V6 from '05-10.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

aftermarket decal?  The base engine in the Mustang was a 4.0 V6 from '05-10.

It’s that old? It was in great shape and most old mustangs around here are beat to hell

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It’s that old? It was in great shape and most old mustangs around here are beat to hell

With those light clusters, it's the refreshed 2010.  The 4.0 was replaced w/ the 3.7 Duratec V6 in 2011...

• Thanks 1

Beautiful fall day, took a drive through a park and saw a gorgeous white '61 Cadillac convertible, rolling top down.  Also a sharp red '74-77 Corvette.

Spotted November 7 while parking to get a haircut; with some of the trees displaying autumn foliage, this car and its rust color, for the first time, reminded me of an autumn color, too.  It's a Buick, an Envision, I believe, and a recent color for them.

KIMG4101.thumb.JPG.b26e5e784fffb206f3439c5cad082ef9.JPG

I don't know what I think about these. I'm thinking ...

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Spotted November 8

You crawl up and up in a parking deck and you find more parking spaces.  You also find nicer or more interesting cars their owners chose to park there.

This one was quite the sighting ... it had temporary tags and, after wondering what year it was, it turned out to be a 1986 in stunning condition.

KIMG4113.thumb.JPG.0a2551a77021b954d986561dda398e02.JPG

Proud looking Regal Limited coupe ... any millennial driving by wouldn't understand why'd I'd be photographing it

KIMG4116.thumb.JPG.15912586bf3004cf75e2bbaf9557b827.JPG

Less is more with the simple Buick alloys - they did the trick without being overpowering.  Of the quadruplets, the Cutlass Supreme took first place from 1981 through 1987, with the Regal and the Grand Prix probably tied for second.

KIMG4129.thumb.JPG.ab21427e9410136a6ab1e54562bc4a6a.JPG

It's in perfect condition ... look at how the landau top meets the sheet metal

KIMG4122.thumb.JPG.00522e222f62fc655685712096b72a55.JPG

A Limited model with manual windows!  Buick went with a tic-tac-toe set of squares for their bezels in the IP.  My dad had an earlier '80s model sedan, also in Limited form, and it's a nice cabin environment.  This one is air conditioned.

KIMG4127.thumb.JPG.0c85c58ffc8b4d2e33c54f7ddea937e4.JPG

We will never again see tufted velour seating in upline American cars.  Or, maybe things do come full circle.  This is taken from the rear of the notchback styled window treatment.

While this wouldn't "make" Clint Eastwood's day, seeing this near perfect Regal Limited coupe from an era gone by sort of made my day that day.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Upvote 3
51 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Spotted November 7 while parking to get a haircut; with some of the trees displaying autumn foliage, this car and its rust color, for the first time, reminded me of an autumn color, too.  It's a Buick, an Envision, I believe, and a recent color for them.

KIMG4101.thumb.JPG.b26e5e784fffb206f3439c5cad082ef9.JPG

I don't know what I think about these. I'm thinking ...

Encore GX.  Sized between the Encore and Envision.    Buick version of the Chevy Trailblazer. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Encore GX.  Sized between the Encore and Envision.    Buick version of the Chevy Trailblazer. 

I didn't even know such a niche existed.  Thanks.  I'm guessing 1.4 T or 2.0 T.  I sort of liked the last Envision for what it is, and thought the styling up front was tamer and easier on the eyes, but I'll have to figure out what I think of the most recent redesign.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I didn't even know such a niche existed.  Thanks.  I'm guessing 1.4 T or 2.0 T.   

Nah, these appliances have 1.2 and 1.3 turbo 3 cyls...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Saw a final gen. Riviera today, the one with the oval in the back.

That means it was about a 25 year old car.  It had temporary plates.  The body was in okay condition.  Except that it was missing the door to its fuel filler.  The color was hard to describe ... something like a dark cherry metallic.

In concept, the last Riv was fine.  When looking straight at it, the oval in the back looks sort of scrunched up.  It's looks better when viewed from an angle.  I think there are other things about the last Riv that detract - the length of the trunk in relation to the hood and the preying mantis front fascia, among some other minor issues.  However, I really liked its dash - the uninterrupted cowl across the top and the circular bezels and gauges in a panel that leans away from the driver.

You can't help but notice them.

16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Saw a final gen. Riviera today, the one with the oval in the back.

That means it was about a 25 year old car.  It had temporary plates.  The body was in okay condition.  Except that it was missing the door to its fuel filler.  The color was hard to describe ... something like a dark cherry metallic.

In concept, the last Riv was fine.  When looking straight at it, the oval in the back looks sort of scrunched up.  It's looks better when viewed from an angle.  I think there are other things about the last Riv that detract - the length of the trunk in relation to the hood and the preying mantis front fascia, among some other minor issues.  However, I really liked its dash - the uninterrupted cowl across the top and the circular bezels and gauges in a panel that leans away from the driver.

You can't help but notice them.

This one plus the Park Avenue was a time when Buick was trying to be an American Jaguar at its top end.  Look at a final Park Avenue and an XJ of the same year and tell me you don't see similar lines.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This one plus the Park Avenue was a time when Buick was trying to be an American Jaguar at its top end.  Look at a final Park Avenue and an XJ of the same year and tell me you don't see similar lines.

The 2005-2009 LaCrosse also pushed this design dynamic.  With that inset lamp between the headlamps and the grille, and the rounded hood channel leading up to it, reviewers have made the comparison to Jaguar.  The rear tail lamps on the car are trying to say Mercedes.  Of the very last cars Buick put out, the Regal was definitely Euro-Germanic while the Verano and 3rd gen and final LaCrosse were unmistakably American.

1 minute ago, ykX said:

At my work's parking lot.

Old vs New

PXL_20201120_150506967~2.jpg

A face only a mother could love! 😆

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Renews my wish for a new, truly compact pickup truck.

Take a time machine and you can get this awesome little 1980 truck in your color. They even sold it in Diesel.

image.png

In Highschool and College, I had my dads 1976 Luv Truck in White like this one.

image.png

Awesome little trucks, solid and just went. So much better than the S10 Chevrolet replaced it with initially.

• Haha 2

The Suburban tanks are out and about playing in the snow here in Washington.37945.jpeg

• Haha 1