Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Lincoln News: All-New Lincoln Zephyr with Connected Features Debuted at Auto Guangzhou End of 2021

David

Lincoln starts off 1922 by celebrating its 100th anniversary. A century of Lincoln Luxury as it prepares for an exciting electric future. Lincoln per their press release has stated that Lincoln pioneered innovations such as center-opening coach doors, electric gauges, keyless entry and symphonic chimes as they pushed the boundaries of elegant automotive design, introducing products and services that have defined the iconic American Luxury brand it has become today.

February 4th, 1922, Henry Ford with encouragement from his wife Clara and his son Edsel Ford, purchased the Lincoln Motor Company from distinguished inventory and automotive engineer Henry Leland for $8 million dollars. This transaction set in motion the creation of this iconic American Luxury brand.

In 1936 Lincoln introduced the Zephyr, the brands first mid-priced vehicle that featured a streamlined design and an "alligator"-type hood. Lincoln has pioneered multiple new features and innovations and continues to introduce advancements today. Here is a notable moment in Lincolns history:

• 1955: Lincoln introduces the Mark II to showrooms
  • 1961: Lincoln debuts coach doors on its Continental
  • 1977: Integrated visor-mounted garage door opener debuts on Lincoln Versailles
  • 1980: Speedometer, fuel gauge, message centers go electric, keyless entry is introduced
  • 1987: Front-wheel drive debuts
  • 1994: Memory recall for seat and mirror positioning introduced via a remote transmitter
  • 2010: Lincoln launches its first hybrid electric vehicle – the MKZ Hybrid
  • 2017: Lincoln reveals the Navigator concept, transforming the future of the flagship SUV with an all-new design and innovative features including 30-Way Perfect Position Seats
  • 2018: Lincoln celebrates the 80th anniversary of the Continental and debuts the special edition Continental Coach Door
  • 2018-19: Symphonic chimes recorded by Detroit Symphony Orchestra; Lincoln launches all-new Lincoln Aviator and Corsair SUVs
  • 2021: Lincoln introduces the first locally produced sedan for the China market at Auto Guangzhou, the all-new Lincoln Zephyr, advancing the brand’s design language

Lincoln is focused on forward-looking innovations, while maintaining its core values in keeping the brand's products fresh and desirable. Lincoln has seen success in China with localized production of vehicles such as the Corsair with its first full-year sales exceeding 50,000 units in 2021. Lincoln has moved forward with their first locally produced sedan, the all-new Zephyr where they secured 3,100 pre-orders at the introduction of the car at Auto Guangshou. The Zephyr is the launch of introducing American Luxury to a new, younger generation of clients in China.

Lincoln is laser-focused on advancing its Quiet Flight DNA into an electrified and connected future with a full portfolio of connected and electrified vehicles globally by 2030.

Lincoln is kicking off a yearlong series of global events connecting the past and the present to an exciting future in years to come. Lincoln retailers globally will be hosting events with clients and local communities throughout the 2022 year. Lincoln says to watch their social channels for updates and special peeks into the next chapter of the Lincoln brand. One can never forget their past of where they started in the journey to where they are today and the future they will become. Starting from the 1923 Lincoln Model L Touring Car, to the 1936 Lincoln Zephyr, 1941 Lincoln Continental and the 1956 Continental Mark II. A large history of Lincoln can be viewed at their media center.

Multimedia | Lincoln Media Center

In 2022, Lincoln is now producing locally in China the All-New Zephyr reimagines design and technology to meet the discerning expectations and aspirations of China's Generation Z, ushering in a new era for the brand centered around Intelligent Mobility.

Per Mao Jingbo, president, Lincoln China, “The Lincoln Zephyr is a true masterpiece that brings together the expertise of our global team in California and the exceptional talent of our local team in China. Every detail from the inside out is crafted based on a deep understanding of our, young Chinese clients, and I am confident that the Lincoln Zephyr fully features intelligent experiences of the future.”

Centered on the tenets of Beauty, Gliding, Human and Sanctuary, while also expressing strong, contemporary aesthetic that signals the future face of Lincoln design. For China, this is considered a Mid-Large-sized sedan as it rides on a 114" wheelbase or 2,900mm. This flowing sedan features a Gen Z inspired intelligent digital cockpit; a relaxing sanctuary made with lightweight design elements. Nearly all buttons in the console are equipped with a smart, natural surface, an innovative, digital design detail that speaks to the evolving customers need for a quiet, human-centric solution.

This Intelligent Technological interior starts with a 12.3-inch digital cluster with a 27-inch coast-to-coast touchscreen dash. A stunning visual impact, this touchscreen dash is configured to support an array of multi-touch gestures and customizable displays, enabling customers to choose between full or split-screen views.

Lincoln says this is inspired by the cosmos and a calming night sky, the full-width coast-to-coast screen brings Lincoln Constellation HMI to life. This Lincoln Zephyr's phase-4 SYNC+ is exclusive for Chinese customers, enabling over-the-air capability to continuously update Zephyr. The Lincoln Zephyr will debut the advanced Lincoln Co-Pilot 360 2.0 system and Lincoln ActiveGlide to help enable L2+ Driving Assist capability.

Lincoln Zephyr comes with what is called a Sense of Ceremony. This is a tailored luxury experience with an elevated sense of ceremony for customers. The new Embrace and Farewell signature feature illuminate the Lincoln Star first and gently lights up the headlamp as owners approach their Zephyr. This is followed by Lincoln's largest ever Welcome Mat that illuminates the ground.

The interior system offers four relaxing modes, digital scents, and 128-color interior ambient lighting options combined to enhance the customers feeling of exclusivity and personalization. 

The Lincoln Zephyr offers another unique feature in "The Future Letter". After the initial customization of the full-width coast-to-coast dash screen, customers can schedule content to appear on the screen at designated moments giving a customized connection to the world around them.

This all-new Zephyr will launch with a standard 2.0-liter gas powertrain with 8-speed transmission for Q1 of 2022. Additional options will be announced as they are released.

All-New Lincoln Zephyr Debuts at Auto Guangzhou 2021 Highlighting Lincoln’s Future Design and Connected Features | Lincoln Media Center

Lincoln Celebrates a Century of Elegance and Innovation, Looks Ahead to a Connected, Electrified Future | Lincoln Media Center

View full article

It's disappointing there are zero Lincoln sedans here now and, a good as this looks, it's disappointing it isn't coming here. 

5 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So the Chinese Lincoln is basically an Audi on the outside (with K5 taillights). Unfortunate. 

Aaaaaand just like that you ruined the car for me. 🤣

• Haha 1

Yes externally it does look much like what Audi has done over the last decade in style. The interior is very nice I thought. Nothing like it yet in any other American made auto.

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's disappointing there are zero Lincoln sedans here now and, a good as this looks, it's disappointing it isn't coming here. 

Aaaaaand just like that you ruined the car for me. 🤣

Sorry but once I saw it, I couldn’t “unsee” it lol. 

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Just another appliance...rip off of Audi A7 profile and rear, crappy FWD proportions, 2.0 4cyl crud...nothing of significance.

Guess we could say the dash is a poor rip off of the EQS! :P 

Lincoln Zephyr

Motif_13c_LINCOLN_zephyr_Interior_II_02.jpg

EQS

Snag_29efe1ec.png

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The future of luxury is widescreen HDTV... which is fine at home.  I like my big TVs.  Not sure I want them in cars, though.

I can understand that I suspect the actual cost compared to individual gauges and simplicity of manufacturing is one of many reasons for going this way. Allows customization of the dash by the owner.

Big question for me is what is the policy about dead pixels?

LG and Samsung both have in their warranty must be at least 6 pixels or more dead to allow replacement under warranty. I wonder how the Auto industry will deal with these massive LCD / QED screens.

13 minutes ago, David said:

I can understand that I suspect the actual cost compared to individual gauges and simplicity of manufacturing is one of many reasons for going this way. Allows customization of the dash by the owner.

Big question for me is what is the policy about dead pixels?

LG and Samsung both have in their warranty must be at least 6 pixels or more dead to allow replacement under warranty. I wonder how the Auto industry will deal with these massive LCD / QED screens.

mo' complexity, mo' problems.   3 year leases would be the way to go w/ modern appliances.   Could you imagine dealing w/ a 2022 luxury car w/ all it's complexity when it's 15 years old w/ 150k miles?  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

mo' complexity, mo' problems.   3 year leases would be the way to go w/ modern appliances. 

I have kinda felt the auto industry would love to have 100% leases so they can crush and keep everyone making auto payments for life.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, David said:

I have kinda felt the auto industry would love to have 100% leases so they can crush and keep everyone making auto payments for life.

Reuse, recycle... no one is going to want one of these modern appliances when they are 10 years old and buggy...it would be like trying to use a 10 yr old computer or cell phone...

Edited by Robert Hall

mercedes, at least, uses 3 screens behind 1 face; it's not single unit.

- - - - -
I replaced my desktop at 10-yrs age, but I still run the old one every few days. Maybe once a month a 'gray shade' drops down over the screen and you have to restart it, but otherwise it still runs fine. More to the issue is the planned obsolescence of software, which stops issuing programs updates / stops recognizing some browsers. Very minimal... but some of the inherent program features I like better on the older system.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

mercedes, at least, uses 3 screens behind 1 face; it's not single unit.

Yes. That is good.

But, why was it that a television set that was made in the 1960s with them tubes could last a lifetime, while new tech with them LEDs that technically shouldnt die out for 1000s of lifetimes, die out?

Ah yes... planned obsolescence.

Reuse, recycle. 

Or more bluntly put. And it aint no lie.

Buy. Buy. Buy.

Wrong kind of buy.  But it will do! 

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

why was it that a television set that was made in the 1960s with them tubes could last a lifetime, while new tech with them LEDs that technically shouldnt die out for 1000s of lifetimes, die out?

Electronics have -in so many cases- shortened product lifetimes, not lengthened them.
Household appliances have shorter lifespans now (and cost far more adjusted) than ever before. 

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Electronics have -in so many cases- shortened product lifetimes, not lengthened them.
Household appliances have shorter lifespans now (and cost far more adjusted) than ever before. 

I think that cost is all relative to your earnings. If you are in an industry that has allowed for decent earnings that have rose with the cost of living, then the household appliances are still about the same. Perfect example is a traditional rice cooker. 

I went to college in Japan and fell in love with my Zojirushi rice cooker, considered one of the best made in the world. Sold everything when I graduated and came home. Upon getting back to America, I bought at the Uwajimaha Japanese store an entry level automatic Zojirushi rice cooker that cost me $99.99. They now cost $137.49 on their own web site or less on Amazon.

Like everything, we have to keep it in perspective of income growth to related to cost of items. Some things have gotten cheaper over time, other things far more expensive. This pandemic has clearly caused some crazy pricing to happen.