Bengal

Guest buickman

Who would buy the Bengal with the Solstice in the same showroom for thousands less? The times are a-changing, and GM isn't rebadging every vehicle anymore, sorry. The money would be better spent on a Velite based on the next Lucerne because it would actually offer something the Solstice doesn't: a backseat, and could also offer a V8 and would be significantly bigger.

The Aura is the sedan, the Sky is the Kappa, I think you have them mixed up.

Pontaic gets the Solstice. Saturn gets the Aura. Where the hell is the Bengal?

Buickman

I only want a Bengal if it can comfortably seat four, has a decent trunk, and has at least a 3.6 driving the rear wheels.....

The Bengal was FWD BTW.

I only want a Bengal if it can comfortably seat four, has a decent trunk, and has at least a 3.6 driving the rear wheels.....

The Bengal was FWD BTW.

i remember it being a s/c 3.4 midengine, is that not right?

i remember it being a s/c 3.4 midengine, is that not right?

It was only a "mid-engine" because they turned the transaxle 180 degrees and put the wheels in front of the motor rather then just under and behind.

It was still a transverse mounted, FWD setup.

Guest YellowJacket894

Nope. I'd rather see a Velite convertible and hardtop coupe with a real backseat, rear-drive, and a big honkin' V8. If I'm lucky enough to have a family someday, I'd probably be haulin' ass (and probably kids) in one of those.

I don't give a $h! about the old fogey image, either. I tend to associate Toyota with hospital Jell-O anymore.

And lest we forget:

Posted Image

Please give him treats only when he has a good idea.

Edited by YellowJacket894

actually, I think it *is* a good idea.

A premium 4 person ragtop from Buick that would fill the slot the Cutlass Convertible left and absolutely smash the Sebring and Solara convertibles

It can be front drive.... just make sure there is a HF 3.6 in it.

Guest buickman

Most importantly, simply step up to the plate Mr Wagoner and give Buick dealers the product they deserve to compete in the marketplace.

Buickman

What pressure does the Buick dealer council put on GM for products, or is their influence greatly diminished with the channeling of B-P-G? What product do you think Buick dealers are saying they need most for GM to build? A revised version of something they already offer, or a new vehicle in a different segment?

Most importantly, simply step up to the plate Mr Wagoner and give Buick dealers the product they deserve to compete in the marketplace.

Buickman

So, first you complain about GM's market share declining. Now you're complaining that the Buick division hasn't gotten any "niche vehicles" as a halo car? And the halo vehicle restores volume how?

Let's review, Pontiac got the GTO and the Solstice. The greedy dealers all marked up the GTOs when they hit the lot, so they sat...GM then had to offer incentives to move the metal. Then, in response to the dealers "having to have" product, we got the G5 and Torrent. So, as GM works to focus their brands, the dealers conspire against GM because they're still concerned with other GM divisions as competition instead of other manufacturers.

Buick got the Lucerne and is getting the Enclave. You're getting GM's nicest Lamda in a growth category. Both of which are consistent with Buick's image, vast improvements over the models they replace and volume products. Given GM's current budget constraints, Buick is making out pretty well.

From a consumer's perspective, it's the dealers that are part of the problem. Revising dealer franchise laws and encouraging customers to order direct from the manufacturer over the internet would sure go a long way in giving GM the latitude it needs to differentiate its brands more effectively without having to appease the dealers.

Guest buickman

The point about Bengal is that it was so close, yet didn't happen. The Lucerne is OK, nothing spectacular to look at. Yes the Enclave looks promising but so did the Aztek when first shown. Let's see how the production version ends up. Still, remember the loss of Skyhawk, Skylark, Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Riviera, Roadmaster, Wagons and Coupes. Giving us a copycat Crossover, SUV, and Van hasn't done anything to help Buick. If the Rendezvous wasn't a cheap lease, it would stack up on the lots. The bottom line is that Buick dealers have been starved while GM wasted BILLIONS on Fiat and other woefully ridiculous joint ventures and alliances. Wagoner is to blame as captain of the ship. Time for a mutiny and for him to walk the plank.

Buickman

Edited by buickman

The point about Bengal is that it was so close, yet didn't happen.

I don't know how close it was, but from the sound of things, it was no closer than the Signia, Regal Cielo, and a crapload of other concepts.

Yes the Enclave looks promising but so did the Aztek when first shown. Let's see how the production version ends up.

So far, all post-concept spy shots indicated the vast, vast majority of the design both inside and out has held up to production. Naturally, certain show car elements will be disposed of, but I believe we'll all be pleased.

Still, remember the loss of Skyhawk, Skylark, Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Riviera, Roadmaster, Wagons and Coupes. Giving us a copycat Crossover, SUV, and Van hasn't done anything to help Buick. If the Rendezvous wasn't a cheap lease, it would stack up on the lots.

I find this a little funny because many of the cars you mention were nothing but copycats of other divisions' models or within Buick itself. Also, I don't see why you consider the Rendezvous a 'copycat.' Certainly it shared little actual resemblance to the Aztek and within the marketplace, it was one of the first lower/midpriced crossovers, undercutting the RX, M-Class, and RDX by thousands. And cheap lease or not, Rendezvous single-handedly lowered the average age of Buick owners. No one is arguing the Rainier is a capacity plug and the Terraza is rather pointless with three other vans made by the same company.

The bottom line is that Buick dealers have been starved while GM wasted BILLIONS on Fiat and other woefully ridiculous joint ventures and alliances. Wagoner is to blame as captain of the ship. Time for a mutiny and for him to walk the plank.

Your first statement here (like a few others you've made before) are spot-on and true. Buick has been starved for standout product as of late, no doubt. The LaCrosse and Lucerne are great vehicles, both competitive and high-quality, but they lack that flair and spirit that Buick should be impressing on the automotive community.

However, the blame for this goes beyond a mere one man. Wouldn't it be lovely if Wagoner was really the devil incarnate and the removal of him would instantly solve GM's woes? But it won't. Pure and simple.

I think the real point is is that the Bengal is a dated concept that its inception this late in the game would bring nothing short of mocking. The Bengal was good for its time but it's over. Even the Velite is getting a little ridiculous to build. A concept that comes out in what? 2004? shouldn't start production in 2010, thats just the way I look at it.

If Buick is getting a flagship car it better be ahead of BOTH those designs.

Because GM lets things slide, that's one reason I'm worried that the Statesman will be rebadged as-is, with the "Buick grille" and portholes, as a Buick. Please, GM, use the design language of Buicks... and even take it one step farther!

The point about Bengal is that it was so close, yet didn't happen. The Lucerne is OK, nothing spectacular to look at. Yes the Enclave looks promising but so did the Aztek when first shown. Let's see how the production version ends up. Still, remember the loss of Skyhawk, Skylark, Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Riviera, Roadmaster, Wagons and Coupes. Giving us a copycat Crossover, SUV, and Van hasn't done anything to help Buick. If the Rendezvous wasn't a cheap lease, it would stack up on the lots. The bottom line is that Buick dealers have been starved while GM wasted BILLIONS on Fiat and other woefully ridiculous joint ventures and alliances. Wagoner is to blame as captain of the ship. Time for a mutiny and for him to walk the plank.

Buickman

What about the positives of picking up Daewoo and entering the Chinese market? You love to focus on the negatives and ignore the positives... Every investment portfolio has winners and losers.

So, the underlying premise of "the plan" is to hop in the DeLorean and return to your hey-day back in the mid 80s? My parents' owned many of the cars you mention...many were good cars, but not stellar. A quick recap of my family's Buick inventory over the years:

-1978 Buick Opel 4dr

-1978 Buick Century Custom wagon

-1980 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr

-1983 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr

-1985 Buick Skyhawk Custom wagon

-1988 Buick Electra Limited 4dr

-1993 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr

-1998 Buick Park Ave 4dr

-2000 Buick Regal GSE 4dr

-2004 Buick Ranier CXL

From the mid 80s on, the LeSabre and Park Ave have been essentially the same car. Same with Century and Regal since the late 90s. What part of "Buick will not be a full line manufacturer anymore" didn't you understand?

Here's a crazy idea, instead of trying to sell Buick's against Chevy, Pontiac, and Cadillac...how 'bout trying to sell them against Toyotas and Lexus??

Guest buickman

Your logic reminds me of a conversation I once had with Ed Mertz. My concern was for Buick resale value and he replied that maybe I shouldn't try to sell my customers a new car every year. Please understand that my emphasis is on those things in need of improvement rather than on what we are doing right. Another concern for you is the ever changing themes. It seems like there is no consistency when we move from Spirit of American Style to One Better to It's All Good to Beyond Precision. How is any brand identity to be established without a meaningful message that stands the test of time. Heck, we'd be better off just going back to Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a Buick and sticking with it.

Buickman

Edited by buickman

Because GM lets things slide, that's one reason I'm worried that the Statesman will be rebadged as-is, with the "Buick grille" and portholes, as a Buick.  Please, GM, use the design language of Buicks... and even take it one step farther!

I think that the next generation Lucerne will look more like an Enclave sedan than an Australian Stateman.

What about the positives of picking up Daewoo and entering the Chinese market?  You love to focus on the negatives and ignore the positives...  Every investment portfolio has winners and losers.

No the BM conveniently does not mention or does not know there is a GM beyond the 48 contigious states.

As a result of poor planning and market research, GME was ill-prepared for the rise of advanced diesel engines in Europe. The so called Fiat fiasco helped reverse that in europe. GM did walk away with some diesel engines from the deal.

Let's refresh the memory:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Feb13.html

"Detroit-based GM is to return its 10 percent stake in Fiat's auto division and the two carmakers will dismantle their joint venture that manufactures engines and transmissions. However, the companies will continue to cooperate on engine production, development of vehicle programs, and other fields."

And here is where it all started:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...May/ai_65162748

Edited by evok

ehaase: Fine, hope so. Chevy can have the Statesman as-is, with Chevy badging, for its Caprice.

buickman: I seem to recall that when "Dream Up" was chosen as the Buick slogan in 2004, they said they'd keep it a minimum of 5 years! Do you feel that "Beyond Precision" is a better tagline? Was "One Better" actually used, or was it suggested by someone here? Much as I personally like "Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a Buick?" (and it does seem to play well for someone who'd prefer a rebadge as a Buick), don't you think it's out-of-date for 2006? And as far as vehicles, if GM is strapped for cash, you don't honestly think the vehicle Buick needs most is the Bengal, do you? A halo vehicle, yes! A Bengal? No!

Edited by wildcat

Your logic reminds me of a conversation I once had with Ed Mertz. My concern was for Buick resale value and he replied that maybe I shouldn't try to sell my customers a new car every year.

Well BM, I happen to agree with Mertz as it applies to you. With GMS (since those are and have been 99.9% of YOUR sales) your customers can do just that. Buy the vehicle at GMS, sell the car privately and the customer is back at the dealer and you are selling another new car.

GMS can cover all if not most of the depreciation in the first year.

buickman: Also, as evok put it so well elsewhere on this board, it's not that GM has starved Buick of product (Rendezvous, LaCrosse, Terraza, Lucerne, Enclave), it's that -- until the latter two -- it hasn't been particularly compelling or competitive or class-leading (however you want to say it) product. And the segment that GM seems to traditionally keep Buick in (i.e., large 4-door sedans) isn't growing, it's in steep decline. So what's left? GM has to combine Buick and Pontiac and GMC together, rather than support each as three fullines. The economic and competitive circumstances dictate it! But trust me, there isn't anybody hoping more for future drop-dead, gorgeous, stylish, powerful, smooth, quiet, roomy Buick vehicles than me!

evok: Is a Theta Buick crossover still on for '09? It had a GMT program code assigned, so does it remain a possibility?

Your logic reminds me of a conversation I once had with Ed Mertz. My concern was for Buick resale value and he replied that maybe I shouldn't try to sell my customers a new car every year. Please understand that my emphasis is on those things in need of improvement rather than on what we are doing right. Another concern for you is the ever changing themes. It seems like there is no consistency when we move from Spirit of American Style to One Better to It's All Good to Beyond Precision. How is any brand identity to be established without a meaningful message that stands the test of time. Heck, we'd be better off just going back to Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a Buick and sticking with it.           

Buickman

If my memory serves me correctly, your favorite slogan "Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick" had some kind of big bird landing on top of the word "Buick" in the TV spots. What does an Eagle or Hawk have to do with Buicks??

As for establishing meaningful marketing messages, I'd advise you to pick up the June 2006 copy of Business 2.0 magazine and read the article "Marketing Made Easy" about how Staples implemented their new succesful marketing strategy. It seems to disagree with your approach.

Highlights:

- it takes 3-5 years to successfully implement a new marketing message

- the retail outlets had to be improved BEFORE launching the new marketing for it to be effective

- typical marketing executives create new advertising every 18 months

- the average tenure of a corporate marketing chief hovers at 22 months

Could GM be doing better at this, sure, but if Buick internally has figured out what their message is and imprinted that on the products in the pipeline, the marketing that communicates that message will come with the products as they launch.

Buickman

You just got the Yukon, XL, Denali, Lucerne, Lacrosse, G6s and Solstice in the last 24 months.

Soon you will get the GMC pick ups, and Acadia and Enclave. What else to the dealers want?

evok: That's just what I asked buickman, in one of a number of questions above to him. What vehicle would be most important for Buick dealers to add? Surely not a Bengal, the vehicle he identified when he started off this whole thread!

buickman: Jim, You seem to enjoy firing a few volleys to stir up discussion and I know you post to more than one list. But I happened to notice that you were online here earlier, reading these comments - yet you didn't make even a single reply. Please interact and respond to our questions and comments! Don't you enjoy give and take? I think we can learn things from you, as a successful Buick salesman. For instance, what do you hear from Buick customers or Buick wanna-bes? What Buick vehicle(s) are they asking for? Convertible? Small crossover? Traditional wagon? Performance model? What are people who come into Buick showrooms saying? What do they say they are looking for?

Edited by wildcat

Guest buickman

evok: That's just what I asked buickman, in one of a number of questions above to him.  What vehicle would be most important for Buick dealers to add?  Surely not a Bengal, the vehicle he identified when he started off this whole thread! 

buickman: Jim, You seem to enjoy firing a few volleys to stir up discussion and I know you post to more than one list.  But I happened to notice that you were online here earlier, reading these comments - yet you didn't make even a single reply.  Please interact and respond to our questions and comments!  Don't you enjoy give and take?  I think we can learn things from you, as a successful Buick salesman.  For instance, what do you hear from Buick customers or Buick wanna-bes?  What Buick vehicle(s) are they asking for?  Convertible?  Small crossover?  Traditional wagon?  Performance model?  What are people who come into Buick showrooms saying?  What do they say they are looking for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I'm at work, I often don't have time to reply. Will address your post this evening. Thanks.

Buickman

buickman: Thank you, Jim. As I say, I know the average person like myself can learn some things from your expertise and experience. I can't imagine that customers in Buick showrooms come in spouting off about Rick Wagoner :P but you could share what they do say, if there's any consensus. Here's what one more question: as one of the top Buick salesman of all, how did you feel when a figure was quoted that the average Buick dealer sold just 4 vehicles during a 30-day period a few months back? That has got to be death, and so I'm relieved that GM is giving Buick anything and keeping it around. I hope that figure was either wrong or will change quickly. So tell us, as a Buick salesman, besides your "Return to Greatness" steps, what as far as products should Buick be doing, now that it's combined with Pontiac and GMC? What, specifically for Buick, would you suggest? What will turn around the perception about Buicks?

Guest buickman

ehaase: Fine, hope so.  Chevy can have the Statesman as-is, with Chevy badging, for its Caprice.

buickman: I seem to recall that when "Dream Up" was chosen as the Buick slogan in 2004, they said they'd keep it a minimum of 5 years!  Do you feel that "Beyond Precision" is a better tagline?  Was "One Better" actually used, or was it suggested by someone here?  Much as I personally like "Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a Buick?" (and it does seem to play well for someone who'd prefer a rebadge as a Buick), don't you think it's out-of-date for 2006?  And as far as vehicles, if GM is strapped for cash, you don't honestly think the vehicle Buick needs most is the Bengal, do you?  A halo vehicle, yes!  A Bengal?  No!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beyond Precision is meaningless and useless. One Better was used, also a waste of time and money. No, the Bengal isn't what's most needed, it's just that it almost made it's way to the showroom and we were very excited, only to once again be left holding the bag (and posters). Today, I believe we most definitely need a full size (as in larger than STS) RWD sedan, followed by a mid size coupe which could be fashioned in masculine and feminine versions.

Buickman

Guest buickman

evok: That's just what I asked buickman, in one of a number of questions above to him.  What vehicle would be most important for Buick dealers to add?  Surely not a Bengal, the vehicle he identified when he started off this whole thread! 

buickman: Jim, You seem to enjoy firing a few volleys to stir up discussion and I know you post to more than one list.  But I happened to notice that you were online here earlier, reading these comments - yet you didn't make even a single reply.  Please interact and respond to our questions and comments!  Don't you enjoy give and take?  I think we can learn things from you, as a successful Buick salesman.  For instance, what do you hear from Buick customers or Buick wanna-bes?  What Buick vehicle(s) are they asking for?  Convertible?  Small crossover?  Traditional wagon?  Performance model?  What are people who come into Buick showrooms saying?  What do they say they are looking for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What people would like to see most of all is exciting design, once the proud trademark of the Buick Motor Division. Oh, by the way, back when the Hawk screeched and George T stuttered, Buick meant something to the public besides an old man's ride. The corporation lost track of how to appeal to loyal generations of customers as bland appearance and woeful marketing became the norm. Yet no one at GM is held accountable for the failure and rather than listen, the current management finds it easier in their simplistic financial world to shutter and slice. They are the worst failures, insulated and protected by a system that has been broken since Sloan and Mott died. The clowns high atop the Ren Cen are inept, egotistical, and even worse...self righteous.

Buickman

buickman: Thank you for your time and responses. I agree, as a Buick fan, I'd definitely like to see exciting design. I'm not an insider who can quote facts and figures and data, I'm not a guy who pays attention to 0 to 60 times, I'm not a mechanic who can repair his own car, I'm not a person who can chop a car using Photoshop or a similar program; but I am a loyal Buick owner who wants to continue being a customer. Without the customer, the company would be out of business and all the other types would have nothing to talk about. Yes, the thing that gets me excited is design, because I am someone who enjoys looking at the car and sitting in the car and driving the car and admiring the car in the driveway. How much of a step in the right direction of design do you think the Buick Enclave is? Do you think Buick design has gotten better, starting with the Velite concept and Lucerne? Wouldn't you say Buick could design a beautiful car, if given the freedom? Didn't the LaCrosse concept show that? Won't Lutz keep the beancounters at bay in the future? Don't you think the Statesman will give Buick the full-size RWD sedan as you said it needs? Do you accept why GM felt it was necessary to combine Buick with Pontiac and GMC? Isn't that a palatable alternative to Buick being cut? Had you heard the figure of an average of 4 Buicks sold per dealer in a 30-day period? Edited by wildcat

Guest buickman

The Enclave looks gorgeous for a crossover. Let's hope they don't destroy the concept like they did Aztek. The Velite didn't impress me, the grille looked like something off a Mercury. The overall car ended up like something designed by committee. Lucerne is beautiful inside but the exterior is bland at best. The rear needs traditional full tail lamps to distinguish it as a Buick. The body needs curvature which our stylists are perfectly capable of. GM is combining Buick with Pontiac/GMC in order to eventually close the division without the legal entanglements experienced when they shut Oldsmobile. They know exactly what they are doing starving the Foundation Stone in order to eventually own the distribution. Remember Roy Roberts announced a plan to open factory stores. The dealers went nuts, and GM backed off. They simply changed strategy and launched a multi faceted effort  to close franchises in order to accomplish their goal. It's not that Wagoner's strategy of moving offshore and selling on the net while controlling distribution is a bad plan, it's the fact that he has misled people, particularly investors, and for that reason I called for his indictment this year in Delaware. The man is personally responsible for decimation of communities across the US and should be arrested and imprisoned with Ebbers and Lay.

Buickman

Edited by buickman

buickman: Aw, Jim, let's leave Wagoner out of this discussion, at least, and talk about Buicks! Spy photos of the production Enclave appear to show that very little has been changed, maybe just the tire size on the exterior. Isn't that a plus? Lutz is trying to get Buick a full-size RWD sedan by using the Holden Statesman. Isn't that a plus? I'd be the first to point at GM and say they caused any problems with sales at Buick; they are the ones who damaged it. But isn't it another plus that they combined it with Pontiac and GMC, to help prop it up now when it needs it? Isn't it also a plus that a NG LaCrosse is being planned on Epsilon II, a modern architecture that has the potential of an AWD option for a Buick passenger car? Let's accentuate the positive!

EDIT: And the outside mirrors on the production Enclave are different.

Edited by wildcat

Guest buickman

OK, can't help myself sometimes from the "Red Ink Rick" tangent. I believe the Enclave will be a tremendous hit if it arrives as shown in Detroit. As to the Statesman, didn't we earn anything from the GTO experience? How about the Rendezvous? A French name on a Mexican made motor vehicle promoted as Spirit of American Style. I propose allowing our own stylists to get creative and make something clearly of Buick character. Keep the financial sorts out of the studio and let's see what goes.

Buickman

Yes, and despite those incongruities, the Buick Rendezvous sold well and helped to reduce the average age of Buick buyers. Hopefully, GM will show us that they did learn from the GTO, and the Buick Statesman (probably still called Lucerne) will be everything a Buick flagship should be.

Edited by wildcat

The clowns high atop the Ren Cen are inept, egotistical, and even worse...self righteous.

Buickman

All that from the BM that has yet to answer my questions in this thread.

Inept - The Return to Greatness

Egotistical - The BM

Self Righteous - The BM

Come on BM you blow more hot air than a recent patron of Taco Bell.

Heck, we'd be better off just going back to Wouldn't You Really Rather Have a Buick and sticking with it.           

My favorite Buick tagline.

Unfortunately, it's from a pre-Lexus/Acura/Infiniti time. That's the problem with Buick - it's image is so tarnished from years of abuse that it would take a massive capital expenditure to turn around, gain momentum and maintain year after year. It would require an effort and discipline that history (the last 30 years anyway) shows General Motors lacks. This is capital better spent at Chevrolet and Cadillac (a brand that has room to move up and down at the same time).

Buick is toast. Kill it already. I can't stand the slow death.

P.S. Ditto Pontiac. It's amazing how many dolts buy into it as the "performance" brand. Hilarious. And besides the excellent sales and service Saturn is also a waste. A brand that (product-wise) means nothing today and will never mean anything - just another GM clone.

You just got the Yukon, XL, Denali, Lucerne, Lacrosse, G6s and Solstice in the last 24 months.

Soon you will get the GMC pick ups, and Acadia and Enclave.  What else to the dealers want?

Hey BM - More cut and run? Going to answer the question? I saw you lurking earlier.

BM - Releasing more hot air than a recent patron to Taco Bell.

Edited by evok

"remember the loss of Skyhawk, Skylark, Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Riviera, Roadmaster, Wagons and Coupes."

Skyhawk - absolute $%#@!& badge job, no one remembers at all

Skylark - old ladies car, and then ugly as sin, rental heck

Century/Regal - replaced by LaCrosse, sells better, less fleet

LeSabre - replaced by Lucerne V6

PA -Lucerne V8

Riv - big coupes are out

Roadmaster - died to make room for more profitable Chevy/GMC trucks

wagons and coupes - It aint the 70s!!

Face reality, all the loyal customers who bought Buicks in the good old days are gone or cannot drive anymore. Catering only to them led to this. Same with the badge job cars.

Buick is not chevy or Caddy, so why should it supposedly get 'everything'?

It is PBG now, and stand alone Buick dealers are going away.

GM has to make $$$ not just churn out badge job cars to give away free.

Edited by Chicagoland