Drew Dowdell

Google Maps Now Shows EV Charger Availability

... lets users know how many chargers are available...

Screenshot_20190424-160339.pngGoogle has released an update for the Google Maps Navigation app when searching for Electric Vehicle charging locations. Now when a user searches for a charging location, the app will show how many ports are currently in use out of the total in real time. This way, the driver no longer needs to physically check the location to see if charging is available without a wait.  It will also give information like charge port type, charge speed, and ratings from other drivers.

The feature works with ChargeMaster, EVgo, SemaConnect, and Chargepoint."  At the moment, Tesla Supercharging is not yet compatible with the feature.  Searching is available on Android, iOS, Desktop, and Android Auto. Availability in Android Auto means that drivers of cars equipped with Android Auto now have real time charging information available directly on their car's infotainment system.

The feature is available now on the latest version of the apps.

Source: Google Blog

A ton of new fast chargers just came online around washington, very popular at the mall.

20190422_150941.jpg

Hate to say it, but this ease of access everywhere will be the death of gas stations eventually. Why have to go to a specific point to fuel when you can charge your EV while you shop.

20190422_150941.jpg

What if you don't, like, shop? I can't remember the last time I was in a mall {shudder].

Going to the mall to charge is not a very cost efficient way of charging.  Charge at home, run your errands, go home and plug back in.  On something like a Chevy Bolt, it is unlikely that your daily errands are going to take 250 miles to complete.  I think I calculated that I could commute to work every day for a week and plug in only on weekends in a Bolt.

I do have charging stations in the parking facility next to my office and the charging station in the picture above is about a mile from my office.  It's not always located in a shopping area.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Lots of Good Eats at the Malls here, Red Robin, Cheese Cake Factory, Keg Steak House, Claim Jumpers, Anthonies Seafood, etc.

Charge while you eat.

I also don't eat in mall-typical food joints. Red Robin (once), Cheese Cake factory (once) - no thanks. Panera is across the street from me (Tesla chargers); eaten in a Panera once, maybe twice. Not a draw for me. I prefer to eat on the run, and have it done in 10 minutes, which is measured from shutting the vehicle off to restarting it. I'm a shark; have to keep moving. The black helicopters, you know.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it curious and dubious that 'fueling' your car is now commonly intertwined in other consumerism/ eating/ peeing. Just seems a strange, semi-mandated pairing.

Charging at the Mall here is more efficient than at home due to one thing and one thing only. In Washington state, most chargers are free. These fast DC chargers are Free to charge. Look on the dark side and you will see, Free charging.

Again, with home charging, you can start every day with a full tank. You may never need to charge while out and about in daily life if you're home charging.  There's no need to stop at all with an EV. Charge while you're home surfing Cheersandgears.com.

Free charging.

Bernie supporter doesn't realize that "free" does not mean what he thinks it means.  The cost is shifted but it is still there.

There's no need to stop at all with an EV

Of course.  Never take a weekend road trip again... on a route of your choosing.  Simply... CONFORM.  Do not be spontaneous.  We must keep an EYE on you!  You are part of the herd!

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

370 miles on the new Tesla model S and it even charges 50% faster now.

But I specifically said, "in daily life" in reference to @balthazar not wanting to stop at a shopping mall.

balthazar

Posted (edited)

I do get that living with the charging life of a Tesla or Bolt-ranged EV is not that difficult. Well, for most; there still are very real scenarios where that doesn't and won't work at home (street parking, most lot parking). Those scenarios are going to kinda force eating Panera "Clean Soup" for a half hour every weekend.

It's the buy-in price for EVs that's the major hurdle.

Edited by balthazar

Looking at my reality, an EV with a home charger would work great for me...since I work from home, i don't drive much Mon-Fri.  On the weekends I rarely take a road trip over 250 miles.    Though I'm probably not the ideal customer.

My commute is almost 100 miles per day plus some occasional errands in the evening, and still most of EVs would work for me just fine.  And if we take a very long weekend or vacation trip we could always take my wife's car.   So in general EV will work for me even with my long commute, it is just I don't think it will be cost effective at the moment buying EV vehicle and installing charging station at my home.

20190422_150941.jpg

20190422_150941.jpg

This looks great. It also looks like it is at a location within the parking garage that isn't taking up any parking spaces, wasted space. Good locations like this are key to all parties.

Like @Drew Dowdell has pointed out, I don't drive enough to even need to charge daily. I'd say a good 90% of my driving is trips under 10 miles round trip. I wouldn't need to charge out and about. It would cost more and wouldn't be necessary. My only issue is decreased winter range and visiting family 5.5 hours away.

It's the buy-in price for EVs that's the major hurdle.

Yup. For the size of vehicle you're getting, they're priced way up there. Once they are comparably priced to their ICE siblings, things will change rapidly.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Eventually Electrify America and other will probably put a fast charger station in where you can top up another 150 miles in 15 minutes.  The next generation of EVs would probably get you there no issue.  Or a Model S as of yesterday's announcement.

That would be perfect and then when I get there I'd have to figure out a charging situation as well, which would likely be awkward. I just looked and it's 340 miles, my trip to visit my sister and brother.

Also, isn't Electrify America the company formed by VW that is required to build charging stations from their emissions fck up?

Yup, that's exactly who they are.

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Hate Bernie, old guy needs to retire and stop his socialist craziness.

Yes free is never free, but a cost some place else. Probably higher rent to the tenants at the mall, ending up higher prices to the consumer. Yet, people see free and in their short sightedness, the free charger especially if they live in an apartment is a good thing. Plus they are at the mall and might buy something.

Winner Winner Winier dinner! :P

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yup, at least here in Washington, I noticed all the parking spots next to weird space in garages that a parking spot could not be put in have been used to install chargers improving  the over all use of space.

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Most people drive precisely because of “consermerism” whether they realize it or not.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, dfelt said:

While I still like to fill up, free chargers could be the push I need to get a Bolt.  250 miles would get me about a week’s charge as well. Even with a bit a shopping, it makes it a nice deal.

Plus, I can still hear the roar of an engine with the cost savings on the charging....

Apparently Rivian wants to put chargers in "active lifestyle" locations.... so parking for trail heads, ski resorts, stuff like that.   Places where you go and stay a while anyway so you don't mind if your vehicle is nursing on the grid while you head down a black diamond.

So home charging, office garage charging and mall charging makes more sense for those of us that prefer an 'inactive lifestyle' ;)

Edited by Robert Hall

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Recliner charging?

• By Drew Dowdell
      As part of General Motors' tentative agreement with the United Auto Workers, there is a planned $3 billion investment into the Detroit-Hamtramck plant to make electric trucks, SUVs, and vans. The program, called BT1 is part of a larger $7.7 billion investment in GM's plants over the next four years.
      The BT1 program includes an electric truck for GMC and an electric SUV for Cadillac for the 2023 model year. But before that happens, in 2021 a low volume BT1 pickup will start production under a different brand while a performance truck follows in 2022, and then an electric SUV in 2023.  Rumor has it that these low volume BT1 vehicles could be sold under the Hummer brand, not used since 2010, but that decision has not been finalized.
      If GM did bring the Hummer brand back as an EV brand, it would have instant name brand recognition and a leg up on rival startup Rivian who has a truck due out in 2020. GM would not need to spend as much money to market the brand.
      The vehicles on the new BT1 platform would use a "skateboard" architecture that bundles the batteries and electric motor together. The architecture is highly flexible allowing GM to build vehicles in front, rear, or all-wheel drive configurations.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      When the Ford Mustang inspired EV SUV goes on sale sometime next year, one challenge it will have to overcome, no matter how good it looks, is charging anxiety by potential customers.
      Ford is offering an antidote, a way to take away to charging anxiety.  Ford is developing FordPass Charging Network, an easy way to pay as you drive to charge. The network includes more than 12,000 locations with over 35,000 plugs. The FordPass Charging Network is also in collaboration with Electrify America to provide DC Fast Charging.  On a 150-kW charger, drivers can add 47 miles of range in just 10 minutes, and fully charge their battery in the time it takes to have a sit down meal at Olive Garden. FordPass app will help guide drivers to an available charging station and allow for payments directly from the car's dashboard. Ford is offering two years of complimentary access to the FordPass Charging Network to all new Ford EV buyers.
      For those who prefer to charge at home, Ford is offering Ford Connected Charging Stations, a higher powered charger than the standard 240-volt home charger, the Ford charger uses 48 amp service to recharge at a rate of 32 miles per hour rather than the 22 miles of range per hour the 240-volt home charger would provide.  Ford is partnering with Amazon Home Services to offer installations of either standard home chargers or the Ford Connected Charging Stations. Amazon will provide upfront pricing estimates and will allow customers to schedule a licensed and vetted electrician online.
      Ford is investing $11.5 billion in EV development through 2022.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Ford is investing $11.5 billion in EV development through 2022.

• Any car with 2 (or more) side windows is a sedan, whether 2 or 4 door, whether a fixed pillar or a hardtop. 'coupe' as terminology refers to 'close coupled'; AKA a C6 Corvette. Technically a C7 Corvette would be a 2-dr sedan. Some body style terms do modify these definitions tho.
    • In regards to the third statement, that is why most charging points also have solar power panels. The ability to still work even when brown outs stop allowing gas pumps to operate.
    • Based on the photo on the homepage, I'm on board with this BMW looking like a Malibu.  It very much looks like one based on that vantage point. As an aside, that's a great color on that BMW.  Exterior color choices today are pretty bad.  Interior color choices are even worse.  "Sporty" cars or trim lines are offering terra cotta colored leather but there aren't many exterior colors on the limited color charts that go with it.  I'm talking the up-line Focuses and Malibus, among others. In defense of the BMW, I will say that the "opera window" C pillar kink is a little lower than in the Malibu ... and fleshed out with some chrome, so it looks better than does the kink at the midpoint of the arc on the Malibu. And, yes, the line along the doors is much like that in the now gone Buick Verano.  And, damn, those rear tail lamps are ugly. I just checked out what this BMW looks like inside.  The "laptop left open" info-audio center on the center stack is tamed down, so it's not bad.  The lighting effects on the doors are pimpy.  I don't like them.  The I.P. cluster is fairly cool.  The seats look comfortable.  Also, I like bucket seats with the perforation inside the headrest.  I remember them on the '97-'03 Grand Prixs. I forgot where I read this back in the day, but it was prediciting that American and foreign car design intentions would intersect in the future.  They probably did so around the New Millennium.  They sure didn't around 1986, when there were Cadillac de Villes, Olds 98 Regency Broughams, and Buick Park Avenues with loose cushion velour seats with the car's emblem etched into the seating.  Now, if we're talking by about the time the Olds Intrigue rolled out, I'd say that car started arriving at the crossing of paths (tapered front end with no hood ornament, simple dash design, simple seat design) and wouldn't have offended any European.  Upon seeing the brochure, my relatives across the pond liked it.  It was the land yachts of the '70s and '80s that they criticized. It's that the opposite of what has always happened is happening ... the Germans are looking at US / U.S. for auto design ideas!  This new BMW has borrowed a kit of parts from the Americans.
    • Question. Can you fill up your gas tank at home?
    • I rarely ever go in the store when I get gas... pay at the pump, usually less than 5 minutes.  A quick task.  Recharging an EV at a charging station would be far less convenient.   Now a home charger, I could see that being advantageous.   And location, location, location...the nearest gas station is maybe 1/2 mile, and I probably have 1/2 dozen more within a mile or two.    The nearest ChargePoint charging station (J1772) is 7 miles, the nearest CHAdeMO station is over 6 miles.  The nearest Telsa Supercharger station is 10 miles.   Not practical in my reality context.

There are no registered users currently online