Drew Dowdell

Google Maps Now Shows EV Charger Availability

... lets users know how many chargers are available...

Screenshot_20190424-160339.pngGoogle has released an update for the Google Maps Navigation app when searching for Electric Vehicle charging locations. Now when a user searches for a charging location, the app will show how many ports are currently in use out of the total in real time. This way, the driver no longer needs to physically check the location to see if charging is available without a wait.  It will also give information like charge port type, charge speed, and ratings from other drivers.

The feature works with ChargeMaster, EVgo, SemaConnect, and Chargepoint."  At the moment, Tesla Supercharging is not yet compatible with the feature.  Searching is available on Android, iOS, Desktop, and Android Auto. Availability in Android Auto means that drivers of cars equipped with Android Auto now have real time charging information available directly on their car's infotainment system.

The feature is available now on the latest version of the apps.

Source: Google Blog

A ton of new fast chargers just came online around washington, very popular at the mall.

20190422_150941.jpg

Hate to say it, but this ease of access everywhere will be the death of gas stations eventually. Why have to go to a specific point to fuel when you can charge your EV while you shop.

20190422_150941.jpg

What if you don't, like, shop? I can't remember the last time I was in a mall {shudder].

Going to the mall to charge is not a very cost efficient way of charging.  Charge at home, run your errands, go home and plug back in.  On something like a Chevy Bolt, it is unlikely that your daily errands are going to take 250 miles to complete.  I think I calculated that I could commute to work every day for a week and plug in only on weekends in a Bolt.

I do have charging stations in the parking facility next to my office and the charging station in the picture above is about a mile from my office.  It's not always located in a shopping area.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Lots of Good Eats at the Malls here, Red Robin, Cheese Cake Factory, Keg Steak House, Claim Jumpers, Anthonies Seafood, etc.

Charge while you eat.

I also don't eat in mall-typical food joints. Red Robin (once), Cheese Cake factory (once) - no thanks. Panera is across the street from me (Tesla chargers); eaten in a Panera once, maybe twice. Not a draw for me. I prefer to eat on the run, and have it done in 10 minutes, which is measured from shutting the vehicle off to restarting it. I'm a shark; have to keep moving. The black helicopters, you know.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it curious and dubious that 'fueling' your car is now commonly intertwined in other consumerism/ eating/ peeing. Just seems a strange, semi-mandated pairing.

Charging at the Mall here is more efficient than at home due to one thing and one thing only. In Washington state, most chargers are free. These fast DC chargers are Free to charge. Look on the dark side and you will see, Free charging.

Again, with home charging, you can start every day with a full tank. You may never need to charge while out and about in daily life if you're home charging.  There's no need to stop at all with an EV. Charge while you're home surfing Cheersandgears.com.

Free charging.

Bernie supporter doesn't realize that "free" does not mean what he thinks it means.  The cost is shifted but it is still there.

There's no need to stop at all with an EV

Of course.  Never take a weekend road trip again... on a route of your choosing.  Simply... CONFORM.  Do not be spontaneous.  We must keep an EYE on you!  You are part of the herd!

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

370 miles on the new Tesla model S and it even charges 50% faster now.

But I specifically said, "in daily life" in reference to @balthazar not wanting to stop at a shopping mall.

balthazar

Posted (edited)

I do get that living with the charging life of a Tesla or Bolt-ranged EV is not that difficult. Well, for most; there still are very real scenarios where that doesn't and won't work at home (street parking, most lot parking). Those scenarios are going to kinda force eating Panera "Clean Soup" for a half hour every weekend.

It's the buy-in price for EVs that's the major hurdle.

Edited by balthazar

Looking at my reality, an EV with a home charger would work great for me...since I work from home, i don't drive much Mon-Fri.  On the weekends I rarely take a road trip over 250 miles.    Though I'm probably not the ideal customer.

My commute is almost 100 miles per day plus some occasional errands in the evening, and still most of EVs would work for me just fine.  And if we take a very long weekend or vacation trip we could always take my wife's car.   So in general EV will work for me even with my long commute, it is just I don't think it will be cost effective at the moment buying EV vehicle and installing charging station at my home.

20190422_150941.jpg

20190422_150941.jpg

This looks great. It also looks like it is at a location within the parking garage that isn't taking up any parking spaces, wasted space. Good locations like this are key to all parties.

Like @Drew Dowdell has pointed out, I don't drive enough to even need to charge daily. I'd say a good 90% of my driving is trips under 10 miles round trip. I wouldn't need to charge out and about. It would cost more and wouldn't be necessary. My only issue is decreased winter range and visiting family 5.5 hours away.

It's the buy-in price for EVs that's the major hurdle.

Yup. For the size of vehicle you're getting, they're priced way up there. Once they are comparably priced to their ICE siblings, things will change rapidly.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Eventually Electrify America and other will probably put a fast charger station in where you can top up another 150 miles in 15 minutes.  The next generation of EVs would probably get you there no issue.  Or a Model S as of yesterday's announcement.

That would be perfect and then when I get there I'd have to figure out a charging situation as well, which would likely be awkward. I just looked and it's 340 miles, my trip to visit my sister and brother.

Also, isn't Electrify America the company formed by VW that is required to build charging stations from their emissions fck up?

Yup, that's exactly who they are.

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Hate Bernie, old guy needs to retire and stop his socialist craziness.

Yes free is never free, but a cost some place else. Probably higher rent to the tenants at the mall, ending up higher prices to the consumer. Yet, people see free and in their short sightedness, the free charger especially if they live in an apartment is a good thing. Plus they are at the mall and might buy something.

Winner Winner Winier dinner! :P

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yup, at least here in Washington, I noticed all the parking spots next to weird space in garages that a parking spot could not be put in have been used to install chargers improving  the over all use of space.

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Most people drive precisely because of “consermerism” whether they realize it or not.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, dfelt said:

While I still like to fill up, free chargers could be the push I need to get a Bolt.  250 miles would get me about a week’s charge as well. Even with a bit a shopping, it makes it a nice deal.

Plus, I can still hear the roar of an engine with the cost savings on the charging....

Apparently Rivian wants to put chargers in "active lifestyle" locations.... so parking for trail heads, ski resorts, stuff like that.   Places where you go and stay a while anyway so you don't mind if your vehicle is nursing on the grid while you head down a black diamond.

So home charging, office garage charging and mall charging makes more sense for those of us that prefer an 'inactive lifestyle' ;)

Edited by Robert Hall

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Recliner charging?

• By Drew Dowdell
      It's no secret that Mini's fortunes have not been good lately. In the first half of this year, Mini has only moved 17,583 cars of its five model lineup in the U.S. Parent company BMW needs to do something. Last month, Mini unveiled the all-electric version of the Mini-Cooper with a range between 146 and 167 miles.  Now, a report out from Automobile Magazine says that Mini has canceled the internal combustion engine versions for the entire model range in the next generation of cars.
      Starting in 2023, Mini will use a skateboard style chassis to underpin the entire lineup.  There will be a new downsized mini... a MiniMini, a more compact 3-door version, and a Mini crossover.  All would be front-wheel drive and offer 35-kWh or 50-kWh battery packs.  Part of the development is being done by China's Great Wall Motors.
      The electric Minis will be built in China with no word on other manufacturing locations.  This follows Daimler's strategy on SMART to make it an all EV brand and build it in China for Chinese consumption.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      It hasn't even been officially unveiled yet, but the Porsche Taycan has already secured more than 30,000 pre-orders, 10,000 more than the initial estimates. Porsche initially set production at 20,000 per year but later raised it to 40,000 per year. The extra €2,500 deposits support this raise in production.  Porsche has been recruiting for 1,500 new positions to support the manufacturing process.  If Porsche does sell 40,000 Taycans in the first year, it will eclipse Porsche's famous 911 in sales.
      The Taycan is Porsche's EV rival to the Tesla Model S. Porsche is installing fast chargers at all of its dealerships in the U.S. and Europe that can add 62 miles of range in just 4 minutes. The Taycan's total range is around 310 miles.  In addition, the first 3 years of charging will be free at Electrify America charging stations.
      The Taycan's starting price is expected to be arount $90,000.

• Someone punched it in the nose and now it has a smashed face. South Korean Gov is a tax credit, local provincial govs are giving refunds. Their goal is to flip the country which is the size of Mississippi, Indiana, Minnesota or Portugal or Hungary to being ICE free by 2030 for NEW AUTO Sales with the goal of having all ICE Auto's off the road by 2075. Exceptions are for Class 8 semi trucks / commercial use. I honestly can see them going this way, same for Japan and China.
    • I like the current Lincoln look, and within the lens of 2019/2020, they're nice.  Are they knocking my socks off or standing head & shoulders above all else? Not in my opinion. I may have overstated in my earlier post, but not completely. I would like to see something new that takes my breath away stylistically. When I walked around a couple of C7 Corvettes, that was pretty close. I do think the current Ram (and the last few generations) have been extremely good designs. CT6. What else tho?
    • Not even Lincoln? I think their new styling has really come into its own.