Drew Dowdell

Google Maps Now Shows EV Charger Availability

... lets users know how many chargers are available...

Screenshot_20190424-160339.pngGoogle has released an update for the Google Maps Navigation app when searching for Electric Vehicle charging locations. Now when a user searches for a charging location, the app will show how many ports are currently in use out of the total in real time. This way, the driver no longer needs to physically check the location to see if charging is available without a wait.  It will also give information like charge port type, charge speed, and ratings from other drivers.

The feature works with ChargeMaster, EVgo, SemaConnect, and Chargepoint."  At the moment, Tesla Supercharging is not yet compatible with the feature.  Searching is available on Android, iOS, Desktop, and Android Auto. Availability in Android Auto means that drivers of cars equipped with Android Auto now have real time charging information available directly on their car's infotainment system.

The feature is available now on the latest version of the apps.

A ton of new fast chargers just came online around washington, very popular at the mall.

20190422_150941.jpg

Hate to say it, but this ease of access everywhere will be the death of gas stations eventually. Why have to go to a specific point to fuel when you can charge your EV while you shop.

20190422_150941.jpg

What if you don't, like, shop? I can't remember the last time I was in a mall {shudder].

Going to the mall to charge is not a very cost efficient way of charging.  Charge at home, run your errands, go home and plug back in.  On something like a Chevy Bolt, it is unlikely that your daily errands are going to take 250 miles to complete.  I think I calculated that I could commute to work every day for a week and plug in only on weekends in a Bolt.

I do have charging stations in the parking facility next to my office and the charging station in the picture above is about a mile from my office.  It's not always located in a shopping area.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Lots of Good Eats at the Malls here, Red Robin, Cheese Cake Factory, Keg Steak House, Claim Jumpers, Anthonies Seafood, etc.

Charge while you eat.

I also don't eat in mall-typical food joints. Red Robin (once), Cheese Cake factory (once) - no thanks. Panera is across the street from me (Tesla chargers); eaten in a Panera once, maybe twice. Not a draw for me. I prefer to eat on the run, and have it done in 10 minutes, which is measured from shutting the vehicle off to restarting it. I'm a shark; have to keep moving. The black helicopters, you know.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it curious and dubious that 'fueling' your car is now commonly intertwined in other consumerism/ eating/ peeing. Just seems a strange, semi-mandated pairing.

Charging at the Mall here is more efficient than at home due to one thing and one thing only. In Washington state, most chargers are free. These fast DC chargers are Free to charge. Look on the dark side and you will see, Free charging.

Again, with home charging, you can start every day with a full tank. You may never need to charge while out and about in daily life if you're home charging.  There's no need to stop at all with an EV. Charge while you're home surfing Cheersandgears.com.

Free charging.

Bernie supporter doesn't realize that "free" does not mean what he thinks it means.  The cost is shifted but it is still there.

There's no need to stop at all with an EV

Of course.  Never take a weekend road trip again... on a route of your choosing.  Simply... CONFORM.  Do not be spontaneous.  We must keep an EYE on you!  You are part of the herd!

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

370 miles on the new Tesla model S and it even charges 50% faster now.

But I specifically said, "in daily life" in reference to @balthazar not wanting to stop at a shopping mall.

I do get that living with the charging life of a Tesla or Bolt-ranged EV is not that difficult. Well, for most; there still are very real scenarios where that doesn't and won't work at home (street parking, most lot parking). Those scenarios are going to kinda force eating Panera "Clean Soup" for a half hour every weekend.

It's the buy-in price for EVs that's the major hurdle.

Edited by balthazar

Looking at my reality, an EV with a home charger would work great for me...since I work from home, i don't drive much Mon-Fri.  On the weekends I rarely take a road trip over 250 miles.    Though I'm probably not the ideal customer.

My commute is almost 100 miles per day plus some occasional errands in the evening, and still most of EVs would work for me just fine.  And if we take a very long weekend or vacation trip we could always take my wife's car.   So in general EV will work for me even with my long commute, it is just I don't think it will be cost effective at the moment buying EV vehicle and installing charging station at my home.

20190422_150941.jpg

20190422_150941.jpg

This looks great. It also looks like it is at a location within the parking garage that isn't taking up any parking spaces, wasted space. Good locations like this are key to all parties.

Like @Drew Dowdell has pointed out, I don't drive enough to even need to charge daily. I'd say a good 90% of my driving is trips under 10 miles round trip. I wouldn't need to charge out and about. It would cost more and wouldn't be necessary. My only issue is decreased winter range and visiting family 5.5 hours away.

It's the buy-in price for EVs that's the major hurdle.

Yup. For the size of vehicle you're getting, they're priced way up there. Once they are comparably priced to their ICE siblings, things will change rapidly.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Eventually Electrify America and other will probably put a fast charger station in where you can top up another 150 miles in 15 minutes.  The next generation of EVs would probably get you there no issue.  Or a Model S as of yesterday's announcement.

That would be perfect and then when I get there I'd have to figure out a charging situation as well, which would likely be awkward. I just looked and it's 340 miles, my trip to visit my sister and brother.

Also, isn't Electrify America the company formed by VW that is required to build charging stations from their emissions fck up?

Yup, that's exactly who they are.

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Hate Bernie, old guy needs to retire and stop his socialist craziness.

Yes free is never free, but a cost some place else. Probably higher rent to the tenants at the mall, ending up higher prices to the consumer. Yet, people see free and in their short sightedness, the free charger especially if they live in an apartment is a good thing. Plus they are at the mall and might buy something.

Winner Winner Winier dinner! :P

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yup, at least here in Washington, I noticed all the parking spots next to weird space in garages that a parking spot could not be put in have been used to install chargers improving  the over all use of space.

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Most people drive precisely because of “consermerism” whether they realize it or not.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, dfelt said:

While I still like to fill up, free chargers could be the push I need to get a Bolt.  250 miles would get me about a week’s charge as well. Even with a bit a shopping, it makes it a nice deal.

Plus, I can still hear the roar of an engine with the cost savings on the charging....

Apparently Rivian wants to put chargers in "active lifestyle" locations.... so parking for trail heads, ski resorts, stuff like that.   Places where you go and stay a while anyway so you don't mind if your vehicle is nursing on the grid while you head down a black diamond.

So home charging, office garage charging and mall charging makes more sense for those of us that prefer an 'inactive lifestyle' ;)

Edited by Robert Hall

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Recliner charging?

• Latest News MADE IN MICHIGAN - GM Proud Investing $7 Billion in Manufacturing Mary Barra was excited to share the news of a $7 Billion Investment in the great state of Michigan as GM will retain 1,000 existing employees and create 4,000 new jobs. ---> Read More Desert-Racing, Rock-Crawling, Street-Legal 2022 FORD BRONCO RAPTOR is HERE Today Ford Motor Company released the most powerful street-legal Bronco ever, 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor. Check out the details and pictures. ---> Read More Something EXCITING Is Coming From Cadillac January 21, 2022 The Latest Excitement from Cadillac is to be unveiled on Friday January 21st, 2022. ---> Read More GM Next Gen Ultra Cruise to enable Door-to-Door Hands-Free Driving with New Compute Architecture GM's multi-cultural global engineering team with American Semiconductor company Qualcomm Technologies to usher in the next generation of Ultra Cruise with robust door-to-door hands-free driving in 95 percent of all driving scenarios. ---> Read More Consumer Reports Reliable Electric Vehicle Insights 2022 Consumer reports has released their latest reliable electric vehicle report. This report can be taken in many ways, but the data is great info for all auto companies as they make the move to EVs. ---> Read More Tesla CyberTruck 2021 Productions, Nope, 2022, Nope, now 2023 MAYBE????? Tesla Cybertruck that has been talked about as a crucial auto for their portfolio is delayed again as the legacy OEMs close in on shipping trucks behind Rivian who is building and delivering them now. Will they make it? ---> Read More VINFAST the Newest BEV Auto Maker from Vietnam! January 5th 2022 VinFast Automotive company from Vietnam introduced their global BEV Portfolio and anounced Factories in the U.S. and Germany. Is this the next HOT BEV company? ---> Read More Latest Reviews Quick Drive: 2021 Mazda CX-30 Premium AWD A premium subcompact crossover? ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8 and 2021 V90 T6 Two Ways to Carry People and their Stuff By Volvo ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Lexus NX 300h & UX 250h Lexus' Hybrid Theory of Crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Hyundai Venue SEL & Palisade Limited AWD Looking at the smallest and largest Hyundai crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota 4Runner Venture Edition and Land Cruiser Heritage Edition Driving around in Toyota's old school SUVs ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • It Took 13 Years, But The Dodge Challenger Has Finally Won (jalopnik.com) In 2015 Ford Mustang hit it peak followed by the Chevrolet Camaro and every year since has dropped in sales. 2015 was also the year that Ford released the current Mustang that is still selling 7 years later. 2015 Ford Mustang sold 122,349 to 66,377 Challengers. 2021 Sales Ford Mustang 52,414 Chevrolet Camaro 21,893 Dodge Challenger 54,314
    • It is.  And some stupid people are insufferable.  The "don't know how much they don't know" crowd can be more hostile and more argumentative because they don't have facts.  They don't want dialogue that involves exchanging information. We have an example of similar idiocy in my very family.  One uncle came over from Europe to visit us on the West Coast.  He is/was the biggest douche bag of the many siblings on one parental side.  When he got to California, he stated what he wanted to see and said that he wanted to see Niagara Falls.  That meant he had no concept of scale.  I told him that that was like going from Lisbon to Eastern Europe. My parents also picked up the tab for him, and his wife, to fly to the Pacific Northwest and to San Francisco during this trip.  He was a pill on both trips.  He wanted to see one of the bridges, so I took the rental car with all of us onto the Bay Bridge because it was cheaper.  He went ballistic.  First, you don't just "ascend" onto the bridge deck.  You have to find the on-ramps in S.F.  Then, when you get to the other side, you're in Oakland.  I didn't get off the freeway because I didn't know and didn't want to experiment with Oakland.  So I went further out to a nicer suburb with a full interchange to drive us back to the city.  During this prolongation, he kept yelling. Of the countries in Europe I keep up with, I knew Portugal leads in vaccination efforts.  That's impressive for a smaller and not particularly rich European country.  Spain (which I don't see on this graphic) would be behind them, and ahead of Italy and France.  France has seen their own "don't tread on me" demonstrations in their streets. It's not.  But some people make us shake our heads. On my homepage were some links about some guy named Doug Kuzma.  It turns out he has/had a podcast where he touted the typical packaging of the anti-vax crowd.  His platform was called FROG network.  I thought that maybe he liked amphibians ... or was poking fun at the French.  FROG means "Fully Rely On God."  A person from this group posted that Doug needed "heavy, heavy" prayers.  He was only 61 and now on a ventilator, unconscious.  The first thing that came to mind was the adage that "God helps those who helps themselves."  He was pushing those drugs we've heard about that start with "i" and "hydro" as an alternative to the vaccine.  If you heard this guy, I doubt his critical thinking skills in the realms of science and practical topics were that developed.  A few days later, I found out he didn't make it. You just shrug.
    • This is the source I referenced the first time, in case anyone wanted to see : https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/vaccination-rollout-and-access/ No vested interest, not promoting it, not saying it's the best, just posting a source. - - - - - It's actually Gibraltar who is apparently "leading the world" (whatever that outmoded concept may mean). They have a population of 33,675 and the BBC puts them at the top of the list with "121%" fully vaccinated".  Or - assuming there's something amiss with a percentage over 100 - it's Pitcairn, whom 100% of it's [67] people are vaccinated. If anyone thinks telling someone who doesn't want to get the vaccine that -say- 'Cuba had a higher rate than the U.S.' is going to do jack squat; boy are they going to be disappointed.