Cadillac Drops the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid For the U.S.

Still will be available in China

Cadillac's CT6 lineup in the U.S. will be seeing the departure of one its powertrains for 2019. GM Authority is reporting that Cadillac will be canning plug-in hybrid variant for the U.S.

"Cadillac remains committed to electrified systems for our vehicles. Although production of the CT6 PLUG-IN for North America is discontinuing for the 2019 model year, alternative fuel vehicles remain a part of our future product portfolio as we move deeper in to our 10-year plan. GM has committed to 20 electric vehicles by 2023, some of which will be Cadillacs," a spokesman told the outlet.

This is likely a recent decision, considering the model was listed in GM's VIN decoder documents. What caused Cadillac to change its mind on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid? Most likely it comes down to tariffs as the CT6 is imported from China and gets slapped with a 25 percent tariff when it enters the U.S. market. Add in the factor that only a small number of 10,542 CT6s sold in the U.S. were the plug-in hybrid and it isn't quite surprising that the model has been axed.

Cadillac will continue selling the plug-in hybrid version of the CT6 in China.

Quick refresher on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid: The powertrain was comprised of a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four, two electric motors, and an 18.4-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack to produce a total output of 449 horsepower. Maximum electric range stands at 31 miles.

Source: GM Authority

It is a shame, if they had the range of the VOLT plus the dual electric motors, I think it would have been a far better game changer. These type of autos should have a minimum of 50 miles on pure electric.

I honestly do not see these luxury cars selling that only have 20 to 30 something miles of pure electric range. Minimum should be 50 miles for plugin hybrids.

I do wonder if we will see a pure electric CT6 shown with production in 2020 as a 2021 model. 🤔

Meh, a turbo 4 in a big car like that isn't very compelling.  And 340hp according to Wikipedia, not 449hp.   The twin turbo V8 that is coming is going to be the hot ticket for CT6...

4 cylinder hybrid is going to have a low take rate on any luxury car.  People in the upper price ranges aren't going to care a lot about fuel economy, so electrification needs to be more about a performance play.  And turbo 4 in a full size car isn't performance.  Plus they priced this high, I remember when the CT6 came out thinking the hybrid was too expensive, they wanted close to turbo V6 money for it.

4 cyl hybrids are for compact economy cars or midsize family sedans, out of place in a large luxury car.

But the CT6 PHEV does 0-60 close to 5 secs flat.

So does every other expensive car.   I like a car with strong acceleration and 0-60 is jus the best measure of that.

In general I see plug in hybrid as low appeal.  A hybrid or mild hybrid that can add some performance or fuel economy without adding a lot of weight or cost I like.  But after that you might as well go full electric and get 0-60 in 3 seconds.

A plug-in hybrid Cadillac IS NOT what the doctor ordered.  Cadillac needs to build a pure EV model, not a PHEV.  Sorry, but until Cadillac builds a CT6 that is a superior Volt (or Bolt), no one will or should buy it.

Call me when Cadillac builds direct competitors to Tesla's all-electric vehicle line, and not one minute earlier.

Silver lining: I can scoop one of these up after major depreciation hits.

Down side:  Literally nobody will know how to work on it.

Down side:  Literally nobody will know how to work on it.

On the EV part, sure.... But that's going to be true for any EV.  The EV parts of a CT6 are just from a Volt anyway, so the skill set is the same there.  Changing the oil is the same as any GM 2.0t.

I'm most likely going with FCA vehicles next time though.

I'm most likely going with FCA vehicles next time though.

I was just being a smartass because they've only sold 186 CT6 hybrids through August.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

yeah, it's sad they could only move that many.  They're an impressive car, but RWD only and not a crossover.  I'm betting an XT5 PHEV with the same spec would have sold significantly better.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh without a doubt that would sell better. I think the best way to get hybrid technology to expand and to get users interested in them is to put the tech in vehicles that are higher in demand.

Course it would help if GM would pull their collective head out of their ASS and market them properly! <_<

They don't market anything properly. Chevy, GMC, and Buick have the worst auto commercials by a large margin. Cadillac commercials seem quite good though.

Whoever does GM marketing should be fired.  Then hire the best, regardless of which marketing firm does the account for a different automaker.

Cadillac has had some great commercials over the years.  Different topic, but still wish they would bring back the "jingle".

This is one of Cadillac's best. There should have been an entire campaign built around the "Fame" theme.

I can't even find the GMC commercial right now that I think is terrible. They compare the strength of an ant to the strength of the Terrain.. WTF?

Edited by ccap41

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Maybe a tie-in with an Ant-Man movie?  Not sure if I saw that one.   The GMC product placements in the opening scenes for Sunday Night Football (or Monday Night Football) are pretty cheesy also...

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Nope.. I found it and posted it within my comment above.

That's terrible.... I get the point they're trying to make... that the Terrain is powerful for its size.... but they don't do a good job of making it.

100% agree. I get it but I think it's terrible.

Totally agree, Cadillac dropped the ball on not Maximizing this commercial and the sales it would have driven into the dealerships.

That ATS commercial is too funny, your right the underlying message is there.

That is just sad! :nono:

It deserves this Emojii! 💩

GM’s marketing is bad across the board.  The Chevy focus group guy is annoying and the ads are terrible, and how did they find people to be in these focus groups that have not watched TV in the past 5 years to know it is the Chevy guy conducting the focus group.

“That’s not a Buick” ads are fired and played out and weren’t that good to begin wih, they are literally admitting that people have no idea what their cars looks like or stand for.  Cadillac hasn’t had a good ad in about 10 years.

Subaru does car advertising right, they are on point and on message and look what their sales have done over the past 10 years.

GM’s marketing is bad across the board.

I don't think Cadillac is on the level of the other three brands. The other three are marketed sooooo poorly.

I would actually really be interested in a CT6 plugin hybrid.  But i do admit a v6 would be a better engine choice.  The hybrid packaging here too, not fully space efficient.

But actually the fatal flaw for someone like me in a snow state is that is it not available with AWD.  RWD only is an immediate 'no can consider' for me and 1/2 of the USA in general.

Cadillac has made that particular fk up with the CTS Vsport as well.  The best available and most interesting CTS is the turbo six and that's only available with RWD too.  None of the performance ATS's are available with AWD either.

Another current Cadillac fk up.  You need to move to the platinum spec on the CT6 to get the twin turbo 3.0.

I may someday look to find a CT6 hybrid or base 2.0 to have as a summer cruising car.  Would be a neat find after all the big depreciation is gone.

Edited by regfootball

On 11/16/2018 at 7:50 PM, regfootball said:

I agree with most of what you said, but the bolded part is incorrect. For 2019, you can get a 3.0TT on the new Sport model which comes in at $67k instead of the $87k of the Platinum.  On the 2018 model, the 3.0TT was available on the Premium Luxury trim for $70k.

It makes sense what you say.  I am going to have to go back and check the configuration again. Last week I tried building a 19 CT6 online and it forced me into a platinum spec when I checked the 3.0 tt. I’ll go back and do that again.

The new v8 now that would be the way to go!!

Edited by regfootball

Next up for an interactive review is the most expensive Volvo I have driven, the 2020 XC90 T8 Inscription - as-tested price of $86,790 with a $995.00 destination charge. Sadly, there is no kitchen sink to find, but this vehicle is loaded. It has four-corner air suspension, 21-inch wheels, a Bowers and Wilkins audio system, massaging front seats, heated steering whee, captain chairs for the second row with heat, panoramic sunroof, and 360-degree camera.
      Power comes from the T8 plug-in hybrid powertrain that I tried in the V60 Polestar a few weeks back. While not as potent as the Polestar, the XC90 still posts some impressive numbers of 400 horsepower and 472 pound-feet.
      Here are some initial impressions
      Despite the hefty pricetag, I don't get the feeling of luxury that the Inscription is supposed to bring. I have to wonder if its due to the black leather and dark wood trim being used. Did I mention that this comes with a crystal gearshift? Ride quality seems to be ok with the 21-inch wheels, but there is a fair amount of tire noise on rough pavement. I'll have more thoughts as the week goes on. In the meantime, if you have any questions, drop them below.

Here are some initial impressions

The Jeep Wrangler is going green with the introduction of the 4xe.
      This plug-in hybrid version of the Wrangler pairs a 2.0L turbo-four with a transmission-mounted electric motor. Total output is 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, making this the powerful production Wrangler to date. A 17.0-kWh, liquid-cooled battery pack battery pack mounted under the rear-seat provides the electric juice and allows the 4xe to travel up 25 miles on electric power only. The transmission is an eight-speed automatic. Jeep hasn't revealed how long it takes to charge up the 4xe.
      Before you start thinking that going plug-in hybrid lessens the capability, Jeep says the 4xe models come with Dana 44 axles front and rear, and the various electronics have been waterproofed - allowing it to ford up to 30 inches of water. Base and Sahara models come with a two-speed transfer case with automatic four-wheel-drive mode and a 2.72:1 low-range. Rubicon models feature a transfer case with a 4:1 low-range, electronic locking front and rear axles with a 4.1:1 ratio, and an electronic sway bar disconnect.
      The 4xe does give up cargo space, with 27.7 cubic feet behind the rear seats (down four) and 67.4 with the rear seats folded (down five). It is also heavier with the base model coming at 5,000 pounds - about 800 pounds heavier than the gas model.
      Jeep will begin selling the Wrangler 4xe early next year in the three trims mentioned above. You'll only be able to get it in the four-door version. Expecting pricing to be above $30,000 or so.

Source: Jeep
      Press Release is on Page 2
      New Jeep® Wrangler 4xe Joins Renegade and Compass 4xe Models in Brand’s Global Electric Vehicle Lineup
      Advanced, Eco-friendly, Premium Technology Delivers Absolute and Quiet Open-air Freedom, an Even More Fun-to-drive On-road Experience and a New Level of Benchmark Jeep® Off-road Capability
      4xe electric vehicle technology is the natural evolution of nearly 80 years of Jeep® capability leadership Jeep 4xe vehicles provide new levels of efficiency, environmental responsibility, performance and capability, on and off the road Jeep Wrangler 4xe available in Europe, China and the United States by early 2021; Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe models began arriving in Europe this summer Wrangler 4xe boasts 375 horsepower and delivers up to 25 miles of pure electric operation for daily commutes while providing nearly silent, zero-emission, open-air freedom without range anxiety Torque-on-demand electric power enhances Wrangler’s on-road performance, delivering crisp launches from a standing start and plenty of low-speed thrust Low-speed, peak torque-on-demand raises Wrangler’s legendary off-road benchmark to master off-road environments Wrangler 4xe is first and foremost a Jeep Wrangler with Trail Rated running gear: solid front and rear axles, full-time 4x4 two-speed transfer case, fully articulating suspension and 30 inches of water fording capability Wrangler 4xe’s advanced turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, two electric motors and robust TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission combine to deliver an estimated 50 MPGe 400-volt, 17 kWh, 96-cell battery pack mounts beneath second-row seat to protect it from outside elements and to preserve the interior space Wrangler 4xe features exclusive exterior design cues to signify efficient, environmentally friendly, electrification technology Available for order in Europe, Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe deliver up to 240 horsepower and approximately 50 kilometers (31 miles) of zero-emission pure electric range September 3, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Jeep® brand has introduced its new Wrangler 4xe, marking the arrival of the most capable, technically advanced and eco-friendly Wrangler ever. Jeep Wrangler 4xe models will be available in Europe, China and the United States by early 2021. The Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe models – introduced last year in Geneva – began arriving in Europe this summer. The new Jeep 4xe models follow the introduction of the Jeep Grand Commander PHEV in China last year.
      The Wrangler 4xe’s plug-in hybrid powertrain is capable of up to 25 miles of nearly silent, zero-emission, electric-only propulsion, making it commuter friendly as an all-electric daily driver without range anxiety and the most capable and eco-friendly Jeep vehicle off-road – combined with the open-air freedom that only Jeep Wrangler offers.
      Jeep will offer electrification options on each nameplate in the next few years as it strives to become the leader in eco-friendly premium technology. Electrified Jeep vehicles will carry the 4xe badge. Jeep electric vehicles will be the most efficient and responsible Jeep vehicles ever, taking performance, 4x4 capability and driver confidence to the next level.
      “Our Jeep 4xe vehicles will be the most efficient, responsible and capable that the brand has ever created,” said Christian Meunier, Global President of Jeep Brand - FCA. “We are committed to make Jeep the greenest SUV brand. The electrification of the Jeep lineup will allow commuters to travel solely on electric power, delivering an efficient and fun on-road experience and offering an ability to enjoy even more Jeep capability off-road in nearly complete silence.”
      The Wrangler 4xe’s advanced powertrain provides a unique on- and off-road experience through the combination of two electric motors, a high-voltage battery pack, a high-tech 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine and robust TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. The most advanced powertrain ever developed for a Jeep Wrangler maximizes efficiency with an estimated 50 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) while eliminating range anxiety, delivering pure-electric operation for most daily commutes.
      Torque from the electric motors in the Wrangler 4xe’s hybrid powertrain arrives instantly on demand from the driver. The powertrain also delivers fuel-saving, seamless, start-stop operation of the engine.
      Jeep has demonstrated 4x4 capability leadership for nearly 80 years. Jeep vehicles were the first to feature an automatic full-time four-wheel-drive system, first 4:1 transfer case and first electronic front sway-bar disconnect system. Merging electrification into the product lineup is a natural evolution.
      The Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be sold globally, with electric vehicle (EV) charge port plugs tailored to specific regions. It is assembled at FCA’s Toledo Assembly Complex in Toledo, Ohio.
      Wrangler 4xe Advanced Powertrain Combines Electric Motors, Turbo Engine
      The Jeep Wrangler 4xe powertrain integrates two electric motors and a 400-volt battery pack with a fuel-efficient, turbocharged, four-cylinder engine and TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. This configuration maximizes the efficiency of the hybrid propulsion components and mates them with the Wrangler’s world-renowned and proven driveline.
      Key elements of the Wrangler 4xe powertrain include 375 horsepower (280 kW), 470 lb.-ft. (637 N•m) of torque and an estimated 50 MPGe from the following components:
      2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 Engine-mounted motor generator unit Transmission-mounted motor generator unit integrated into eight-speed automatic transmission (ZF 8P75PH) 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell lithium-ion, nickel manganese cobalt battery pack The 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine is part of FCA’s Global Medium Engine family. The high-tech, direct-injection engine uses a twin-scroll, low-inertia turbocharger mounted directly to the cylinder head, along with a dedicated cooling circuit for the turbocharger, intake air and throttle body for exceptional responsiveness, performance and fuel efficiency.
      A high-voltage, liquid-cooled motor generator unit mounts at the front of the engine, replacing the conventional alternator. A robust belt connects the motor generator to the engine crankshaft pulley. The motor generator spins the engine for nearly seamless, fuel-saving, start-stop operation and generates electricity for the battery pack. The Wrangler 4xe does not use a conventional 12-volt starter motor. The Wrangler 4xe is equipped with a 12-volt battery to run accessories.
      The second high-voltage motor generator is mounted at the front of the transmission case, replacing the conventional torque converter of an automatic transmission.

Two clutches work to manage power and torque from the e-motor and engine. A binary clutch (on/off) is mounted between the engine and the motor. When this clutch is open there is no mechanical linkage between the engine and the e-motor, which enables it to propel the Wrangler 4xe in electric-only mode.
      When the binary clutch is closed, torque from the 2.0-liter engine and the e-motor flow combine through the automatic transmission. A variable clutch mounted behind the e-motor manages engagement with the transmission to improve drivability and efficiency.
      Battery Pack Preserves Interior Room
      The Jeep Wrangler 4xe’s 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell lithium-ion battery pack uses nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) graphite chemistry. The pack and controls mount underneath the second-row seat, where it is protected from outside elements. The Wrangler 4xe’s second-row seat is redesigned, allowing the bottom cushion to flip forward for access to the battery.
      Encased in an aluminum housing, the pack is fitted with a dedicated heating and cooling circuit to keep the battery at its optimum temperature for best performance. The temperature control circuit includes a dedicated heater unit and a chiller that uses the Wrangler air-conditioning refrigerant to reduce coolant temperature when needed.
      The Wrangler 4xe hybrid system includes an Integrated Dual Charging Module (ICDM), which combines a battery charger and a DC/DC converter in a single unit that is more compact than two separate components, and a next-generation Power Inverter Module (PIM) that is reduced in size. These components are housed and protected from damage in a steel structure mounted below the battery pack.
      All high-voltage electronics, including the wiring between the battery pack and the electric motors, are sealed and waterproof. Like all Trail Rated Jeep Wranglers, the Wrangler 4xe is capable of water fording up to 30 inches (76 cm).
      The electric charge port features a push-open/push-close cover and is located on the left front cowl of the Wrangler 4xe for convenient nose-in parking at charging locations. The charge port includes LED indicators of charging status. An LED battery level monitor is mounted on top of the instrument panel, making it easy to check battery state of charge at a glance during charging.
      Wrangler 4xe E Selec Modes
      The Jeep Wrangler 4xe driver can tailor the hybrid powertrain to best suit each trip, whether it is filling the needs of most daily commuters in pure-electric operation, a night on the town or quietly exploring nature off-road.
      The Wrangler 4xe hybrid powertrain has three modes of operation, known as E Selec. The driver can select the desired powertrain mode via buttons mounted on the instrument panel, to the left of the steering wheel. Regardless of the mode selected, the Wrangler 4xe operates as hybrid once the battery nears its minimum state of charge.
      Hybrid: The default mode blends torque from the 2.0-liter engine and electric motor. In this mode, the powertrain will use battery power first, then add in propulsion from the 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 when the battery reaches minimum state of charge Electric: The powertrain operates on zero-emission electric power only until the battery reaches the minimum charge or the driver requests more torque (such as wide-open throttle), which engages the 2.0-liter engine eSave: Prioritizes propulsion from the 2.0-liter engine, saving the battery charge for later use, such as EV off-roading or urban areas where internal combustion propulsion is restricted. The driver can also choose between Battery Save and Battery Charge during eSave via the Hybrid Electric Pages in the Uconnect monitor To help optimize the benefit of the E Selec modes, the Wrangler 4xe driver information display and the Uconnect touchscreen feature Eco Coaching Pages. The Eco Coaching Pages let owners monitor power flow and see the impact of regenerative braking, schedule charging times to take advantage of lower electric rates, and view their driving history with a detail of electric and gasoline usage.
      Regenerative braking is a key part of the Wrangler 4xe eco-friendly equation. When the driver steps on the brake pedal, the powertrain control engages the maximum available regenerative braking, up to 0.25 g, from the electric motors to slow the vehicle, augmented with the Wrangler’s traditional friction brakes. The regenerative braking feature also extends the replacement period for brake pads.
      With 4x4 engaged, all four wheels feed torque for regenerative braking, maximizing the energy recovery. Electricity due to regenerative braking is fed to the battery pack to maintain or increase the state of charge.
      The Wrangler 4xe also features the ability to maximize regenerative energy production via a driver-selectable Max Regen feature.
      When Max Regen is engaged, a more assertive regenerative braking calibration occurs when the vehicle sees zero throttle input from the driver (coasting). Max Regen can slow the Wrangler 4xe faster than standard regenerative braking and generate more electricity for the battery pack. Once selected, the Max Regen feature remains engaged until driver deselects it.
      Off-road Legend
      Jeep Wrangler’s heritage is defined by its legendary off-road capability. All Wrangler 4xe power modes are available when the drivetrain is shifted to 4Lo. The seamless integration of electric power into the 4x4 drivetrain elevates the Wrangler 4xe to new levels of off-road performance.
      Enthusiasts will find that the instant availability of torque from the Wrangler 4xe’s electric motor delivers a more precise and controlled driving experience for climbing and crawling – there’s no need to build up engine rpm to get the tires to move, minimizing driveline shock loading and maximizing control and speed.
      In EV mode, the Wrangler 4xe treads lightly and silently, conserving fuel and allowing occupants to focus solely on the sights and full sounds of nature.
      The new Jeep Wrangler 4xe is available in three models: 4xe, Sahara 4xe and Rubicon 4xe. Wrangler 4xe and Wrangler Sahara 4xe models are equipped with full-time 4x4 systems, front and rear next-generation Dana 44 axles and are fitted with the Selec-Trac two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio. The intuitive system allows the driver to set it and forget it in any environment.
      An available Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential provides extra grip and capability in low-traction situations, such as driving over sand, gravel, snow or ice.
      Wrangler Rubicon 4xe models carry the Rock-Trac 4x4 system that includes a two-speed transfer case with a 4:1 low-range gear ratio, full-time 4x4, front and rear next-generation Dana 44 axles, Tru-Lok electric front- and rear-axle lockers. The Wrangler Rubicon 4xe has an impressive crawl ratio of 77.2:1, which makes scaling any obstacle easy. Wrangler Rubicon models also offer improved articulation and total suspension travel with help from a front axle, electronic sway-bar disconnect. Together, these components contribute to the maximum off-road prowess Wrangler Rubicon is known for.
      The Wrangler 4xe includes Selec-Speed Control with Hill-ascent and Hill-descent Control. This allows drivers to control vehicle speed up and down steep, rugged grades with the transmission shift lever.
      Like every Jeep Wrangler, the Jeep Wrangler 4xe models wear a Trail Rated badge that signifies legendary 4x4 capability with equipment that includes:
      Skid plates and front and rear tow hooks Wrangler Rubicon 4xe approach angle of 44 degrees, breakover angle of 22.5 degrees, departure angle of 35.6 degrees and ground clearance of 10.8 inches (27.4 cm) Aggressive, available, 17-inch, off-road wheels and 33-inch tires standard on Rubicon 4xe; 20-inch wheels standard on Wrangler 4xe and Sahara 4xe Up to 30 inches (76 cm) of water fording All 4xe models maintain Wrangler’s renowned ease of customization with a host of Jeep Performance Parts from Mopar, available when the vehicle arrives in showrooms.
      ‘Electric Blue’ Design Cues Mark Wrangler 4xe
      The 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe maintains a sculptural design aesthetic that’s bold and functional, with a wide stance and trapezoidal wheel flares.
      Exclusive content identifies the Jeep Wrangler 4xe as the most technologically advanced Wrangler ever. New Electric Blue coloring on the front and rear Rubicon tow hooks stands out against the black bumpers. The unique blue coloring also traces the Rubicon name on the hood, Jeep badge and the Trail Rated badge. Select Easter egg design cues also receive the Electric Blue shade. The black hood decal is outlined in the special color with “4xe” that lets the body color show through.
      Inside, the Wrangler 4xe Rubicon includes unique Electric Blue stitching on the seats and trim.
      The 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is available in 10 exterior colors: Black, Bright White, Firecracker Red, Granite Crystal Metallic, Hella Yella, Hydro Blue (late availability), Sting-Gray, Snazzberry, Sarge and Billet Silver Metallic. Two Wrangler interior options are available in the 4xe version: Black with Heritage Tan cloth and Black with Dark Saddle leather.
      Jeep Renegade 4xe and Jeep Compass 4xe
      Presented globally in March 2019 at the Geneva Motor Show, the new Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe are the first Jeep models with plug-in hybrid electric technology available in Europe. Their arrival was celebrated in January with the exclusive First Edition – a special launch edition made available for customer previews and pre-booking on a dedicated website for select European markets. Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe began arriving in the European market this summer. Both Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe models feature a no-compromise hybrid solution that integrates the unmatched technical layout of each Jeep SUV and takes their capability to the next level through some of the most advanced technology, which combines enhanced performance (up to 240 horsepower), improved safety (four-wheel drive is always available) and low environmental impact (less than 50 g/km of CO2 in the hybrid mode).
      The combination of a 1.3-liter turbocharged gasoline engine and the electric unit guarantees performance and extraordinary driving pleasure: acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in less than 7.5 seconds and full electric top speed is 130 km/h, which reaches 200 km/h in the hybrid mode.
      With the new hybrid technology, Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe further improve their benchmark off-road capability courtesy of the greater torque offered by the combination between the two power sources. Thanks to the new Jeep 4xe technology, traction to the rear axle is not provided by a prop shaft, but through the dedicated electric motor. This allows the two axles to be separated and control the torque independently in a more effective way than a mechanical system, giving instant electric boost to the rear wheels when needed.
      The new Jeep Renegade 4xe and Jeep Compass 4xe began arriving in Jeep dealerships across Europe this summer with a full lineup to include Limited, S and Trailhawk trims, all with four-wheel-drive configuration.
      Mopar and Jeep Performance Parts Supports Launch of Most Capable, Technically Advanced, Eco-friendly Jeep Wrangler Ever
      When the new 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe (pronounced 4byE) plug-in hybrid joins the Jeep brand’s global electric vehicle lineup later this year, Jeep Performance Parts and Mopar will offer a wide variety of factory-engineered, quality-tested performance parts and accessories for the most capable, technically advanced and eco-friendly SUV on the planet.
      The comprehensive portfolio of more than 300 Jeep Wrangler products will include exclusive Jeep Performance Parts (JPP) offerings, allowing customers the opportunity to expand upon the Wrangler’s fun-to-drive on- and off-road experiences. An industry-first, OEM-developed JPP 2-inch lift kit is specifically engineered and tuned for the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid application. Additional products will include beadlock-capable wheels, off-road bumpers, LED off-road lights and rock rails, just to name a few. More detailed information will be available closer to launch.
      In addition, Jeep Performance Parts and Mopar will offer a 240-volt at-home electric vehicle (EV) wall charger on Amazon.com and quality installation services, giving customers a fast and convenient way to charge their vehicles at home.
      Unlike any other aftermarket offerings, Jeep Performance Parts and accessories are backed by a full factory warranty. The products are created in close conjunction with the Jeep brand, engineering and product design-office teams for development, testing and validation. Strict standards and factory-exclusive data — information not available to the aftermarket — are used to seamlessly integrate performance parts and accessories in order to deliver proper fit, finish and quality right down to the color, grain, and appearance of each product.

The Jeep Wrangler is going green with the introduction of the 4xe.

Source: Jeep
      Press Release is on Page 2
      Wrangler 4xe Advanced Powertrain Combines Electric Motors, Turbo Engine

Battery Pack Preserves Interior Room
      Wrangler 4xe E Selec Modes
      Off-road Legend
      ‘Electric Blue’ Design Cues Mark Wrangler 4xe
      Jeep Renegade 4xe and Jeep Compass 4xe
      It is no secret that General Motors has big ambitions in the electric car space, we talked about back in March. But our chance to see to see the first fruits of this, the Cadillac Lyriq had been delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic. But tonight, Cadillac finally revealed the Lyriq in show car form.
      "Show Car" is important in this context as Cadillac is finalizing various parts of the Lyriq's design - various reports say the design is 80 to 85 percent production ready. This may explain why Cadillac isn't launching the model until late-2022. The design is quite out there with a large pattern grille, vertical LED headlamps, fastback roofline, and rear lights that wrap around the pillars. Moving inside, the center piece is a curved, 33-inch display that features driver information and infotainment. There is also a dual-pane head-up display that can display different information - the nearest one can show speed and direction, while the further one can issue alerts and navigation.
      Cadillac hasn't released any power figures on the Lyriq, only saying that it will offer two drivetrain versions; rear-wheel drive with a single electric motor and all-wheel drive with two electric motors. A new modular platform for electric vehicles promises a low-center of gravity and a near 50/50 weight distribution for the all-wheel drive version. Range is targeted at over 300 miles. Cadillac says the production model will offer DC fast charging.
      Source: Cadillac
      Press Release is on Page 2

LYRIQ Show Car Leads Cadillac Into Electric Future
      The brand’s first all-electric vehicle introduces a new era in luxury, technology and zero-tailpipe-emissions performance Cadillac’s introduction of its electric portfolio begins today with the debut of the LYRIQ show car — a dynamic, modern and fully electric luxury crossover.
      The propulsion system and supporting technologies position Cadillac to be a leader in electrification, connectivity and automated driving, all delivered with thrilling performance and a new threshold in technology integration.
      “Led by LYRIQ, Cadillac will redefine American luxury over the next decade with a new portfolio of transformative EVs,” said Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, GM North America. “We will deliver experiences that engage the senses, anticipate desires and enable our customers to go on extraordinary journeys.”
      The LYRIQ is based on GM’s next-generation, modular electric vehicle platform and driven by the Ultium propulsion system, allowing Cadillac to deliver customers a variety of range and performance options. With range being one of the biggest factors when it comes to selecting an EV, we’re designing LYRIQ to offer beyond 300 miles of range on a full charge, based on internal testing1. Performance and technology highlights include:
      Charging options that fit a variety of preferences for home, the workplace and on the road — including DC fast charging rates over 150 kilowatts and Level 2 charging rates up to 19 kW2. Rear-wheel drive and performance all-wheel drive configurations. The latest version of Super Cruise3, the industry’s first truly hands-free driver assistance feature, available on more than 200,000 miles of compatible highways and recently enhanced to include automated lane change. New technologies such as dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display and remote self-parking. The brand’s most seamless and adaptive technology interaction with the driver and passengers, including the latest Cadillac user experience, which is showcased in a 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED screen the spans the entire viewing area of the driver. “LYRIQ was conceived to make every journey exhilarating and leverages more than a century of innovation to drive the brand into a new era, while rewarding passengers with a more personal, connected and immersive experience,” said Jamie Brewer, Cadillac LYRIQ chief engineer. “To do this we developed an architecture specifically for EVs.  It is not only an exceptional EV, but first and foremost a Cadillac.”
      LIBERATING PERFORMANCE
      Some luxury EVs today feature adapted traditional internal combustion engine architecture, that is not the case with LYRIQ. Cadillac’s all-new, modular EV platform on which the LYRIQ is based is the foundation for its liberating performance. With a dedicated EV architecture, its design eliminates significant physical constraints associated with adapting electric propulsion within a conventional vehicle architecture, for an optimized design that supports greater driving range, an engaging driving experience and a new interpretation of passenger space.
      Within the LYRIQ, the Ultium battery system is a structural element of the architecture, integrated in ways that contribute to ride and handling, as well as safety. In fact, the lower center of gravity and near 50/50 weight distribution enabled by the placement of the battery pack results in a vehicle that’s sporty, responsive and allows for spirited driving.
      Additionally, the LYRIQ is driven primarily by the rear wheels, with a performance all-wheel drive option available. The placement of the drive motor at the rear of the vehicle contributes an even greater feeling of balance and agility — attributes that affirm Cadillac’s longstanding commitment to satisfying performance. It also enables the system to channel more torque to the pavement without wheelspin for exhilarating acceleration and greater cornering capability. Vehicles equipped with performance all-wheel drive go a step further, with a second drive unit placed at the front of the vehicle, which allows for a significant amount of tuning flexibility, enhancing vehicle dynamics and performance for drivers.
      ALL-NEW ULTIUM BATTERY SYSTEM
      The Cadillac LYRIQ is powered by GM’s new Ultium battery system, which offers approximately 100 kilowatt-hours of energy to deliver stirring performance.
      Ultium’s state-of-the-art NCMA (nickel-cobalt-manganese-aluminum) chemistry uses aluminum in the cathode to help reduce the need for rare-earth materials such as cobalt. In fact, GM engineers reduced the cobalt content by more than 70 percent, compared to current GM batteries.
      The advanced battery chemistry is packed in large, flat pouch cells that enable smart module construction to reduce complexity and simplify cooling needs. Additionally, the battery electronics are incorporated directly into the modules, eliminating nearly 90 percent of the battery pack wiring, compared to GM’s current electric vehicles.
      When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers quick and convenient charging options whether at home or on the go. With DC fast charging, the LYRIQ can charge at rates over 150 kW.
      ARTFULLY INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGY
      Envisioned to make interaction with its technologies more intuitive and rewarding, the LYRIQ’s partnership with the driver and passengers is simultaneously energizing and artful.
      Upon approach, the LYRIQ recognizes the driver and initiates a “greeting” with a choreographed lighting sequence, while also preparing the cabin for the journey, including seat, mirror and climate system adjustments. Once inside, the LYRIQ offers Cadillac’s highest level of driver information, infotainment and connectivity integration, for a more seamless and rewarding experience.
      A 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED display artfully integrates a single, large screen that spans the viewing area for the driver and incorporates driver information details, infotainment controls and camera views. This new display has the highest pixel density available in the automotive industry today and can display over one billion colors, 64 times more than any other vehicle in the automotive industry, providing a stunning in-vehicle experience unlike anything seen before from Cadillac.
      Additional technology and interactive highlights include:
      Battery and charging monitoring conveyed by easy, at-a-glance graphics. The system identifies the vehicle’s energy needs at home and on the go, according to owner preferences, while also monitoring and forecasting energy consumption and providing charging suggestions. New dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display employs two planes: a near plane indicating speed, direction and more, and a far plane displaying transparent navigation signals and other important alerts. The latest version of Super Cruise, the hands-free driver assistance feature, including automated lane change.3 Supervised remote parking that uses ultrasonic sensors to help the LYRIQ park itself in parallel or perpendicular parking spaces — whether the driver is inside or outside of the vehicle.4 SENSE OF SOUND
      LYRIQ’s technology also addresses sound in two important ways: Blocking unwanted sounds and making the most of the sounds passengers want to hear.
      For the first time, Cadillac will introduce a new road noise cancellation technology, which takes active noise cancellation to the next level by introducing more microphones and accelerometers, which improve noise cancellation abilities. With this new system, Cadillac’s performance and audio engineers can target the frequency range of tire cavity noise, reducing the noise level in the vehicle and allowing for a quieter in-cabin experience.
      The Cadillac LYRIQ builds on the brand’s exclusive partnership with AKG. “With LYRIQ we wanted to deliver a sound experience that would transport the driver from a vehicle into a recording studio,” said Hussein Khalil, Cadillac lead audio design release engineer. “With the AKG sound system, we are able to deliver this experience along with the quality and reliability luxury customers expect.”
      At launch, LYRIQ will offer a 19-speaker AKG Studio audio system that delivers exceptionally crisp and precise sound reproduction, enabling drivers and passengers to enjoy their favorite music.
      NEW FACE OF CADILLAC
      Cadillac’s first electric SUV makes a bold design statement that introduces a new face, proportion and presence for the brand’s new generation of EVs. It’s a forward-looking vision unconstrained by the needs of a traditional internal combustion engine and driveline.
      “The LYRIQ represents the next iteration of the iconic brand’s styling, enabled by electrification, as only Cadillac can express,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Global Cadillac Design. “Inside and out, LYRIQ is a thoughtful integration of design and technology and is intended to make every drive an occasion.”
      Defined by taut lines and clean surfaces, LYRIQ is assertive and modern, characterized with a low, fast roofline and wide stance that emphasize agility and convey confidence. Additional details such as a flow-through roof spoiler express the careful attention paid to aerodynamics to optimize efficiency on the highway.
      A distinctive “black crystal” grille in the front is one of the LYRIQ’s most unique and expressive design elements. It is also a dynamic feature, as it is part of a dramatic lighting choreography that — along with bold vertical, slim LED signature lighting — greets the owner upon approach. At the rear, a split taillamp design incorporates slim LEDs that are also integrated into the lighting choreography.
      Inside, the LYRIQ’s new electric vehicle architecture opens up possibilities in vehicle spaciousness and design; and Cadillac designers used this as an opportunity to rethink how to use the space and where to locate various interior elements.
      The result is a more airy, minimalistic design that does more to involve the driver and passengers in the driving experience while offering exceptional functionality when it comes to storage solutions. It is also brimming with subtle yet obsessive details such as backlit speaker grilles, curved screens with hidden storage and, like the exterior, orchestrated lighting features.

• Ford just released the details on their F-150 Hybrid. The most Powerful HP/Torque ever in an F-150. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129765_2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-hits-a-new-high-for-torque-if-not-mpg Quote: The model, badged PowerBoost, will make 430 horsepower and 570 lb-ft of torque, Ford revealed Tuesday—the highest power and torque ratings of any other powertrain available in the new F-150, and according to the automaker the most torque ever in the F-150.
    • Where Yoda are you pulling this figure since Tesla does not break out the Model 3 to Model y sales, both quarters they are combined. Q1 sales = 76,200 of the Model 3/Y and 12,200 of the Model S/X = Total Sales of 88,400 Q2 sales = 75,496 of the Model 3/Y and 6,326 of the Model S/X = Total Sales of 82,272 I am sure if we look at state by state registration we can get this number, but forgot where I would find it. California does publish their own breakout of sales by every model sold in the state. https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/uploads/Cal-Covering-2Q-20.pdf Would love to have an account here that would show the US individual models sold by state. https://www.autocount.com/# Even here where you have to pay at Staitsta they have a higher number for the Model Y which is not in full production yet due to the pandemic per Tesla. https://buyshares.co.nz/2020/08/20/tesla-accounts-for-over-80-of-electric-vehicles-sold-in-the-us-in-h1-2020/
    • Take that, Tacoma! https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/ford-ranger-awarded-j-d-powers-initial-quality-award-in-mid-size-truck-segment/
    • Right! Awesome young woman with Awesome Hair. Loved the long hair of that era and still love it today. Wish more woman would take the time to have long curly hair. Course my wife has long hair, always thought it made the woman.
    • Didn't hurt my feelings at all.

1. TaurusSHO