• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    First GM Ignition Switch Trial Is Dismissed


    • The first Bellwether Trial against GM has come to an abrupt end

    The first bellwether trial against General Motors over the faulty ignition switch has come to abrupt end. The plaintiff, Robert Scheuer has voluntarily dismissed his lawsuit against the automaker according to a filing in Manhattan federal court today.

     

    Scheuer accused GM of concealing a defect in the ignition switch that caused the airbags in his 2003 Saturn Ion to not deploy when he crashed into two trees in Oklahoma in May 2014. The accident caused injuries to Scheuer's back and neck.

     

    As we reported in December, GM tried to dismiss the case. However, U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman said the plaintiff had provided sufficient evidence to bring the case to trial.

     

    So why was the case dismissed? To understand fully, we need to look at one of the claims made by Scheuer. He claims the crash caused memory loss and, in turn, caused him to misplace a $49,500 check for a down payment on a house in Tulsa, OK. This caused Scherer's family to be evicted from the house.

     

    But paperwork filed by GM's lawyers earlier this week tell a much different story. They have found evidence that Scheuer committed check fraud when buying the house. A real estate agent found Scheuer faked a check stub totaling $441,430.72 from his federal government retirement account as a “proof of funds”. The check stub originally totaled $430.72 before the changes took place.

     

    GM lawyer Richard Godfrey said in the filing suggests that Scheuer "misled his own counsel, as well as the court and the jury.” GM asked Judge Jesse Furman to present the evidence and bring two witnesses; the real estate agent and a forensic technology expert.

     

    “We are assessing GM’s allegations about a situation we were unaware of,” Robert Hilliard, the lawyer representing Scheuer told Bloomberg earlier this week.

     

    On Thursday, Furman granted GM permission to present this new evidence to the jury. Furman also said the new evidence would be “devastating,” making the suit “almost worthless as a bellwether case.” Furman urged the two parties to consider dismissing the case.

     

    “The apparent lies the plaintiff and his wife told the jury ended the trial early, and we are pleased that the case is over without any payment whatsoever to Mr. Scheuer,” GM spokesman Jim Cain said in a statement.

     

    Scheuer and his wife have hired criminal defense lawyers.

     

    The dismissal of this case is unlikely to affect other cases against. What it will do is make it slightly harder to determine the value of similar claims.

     

    Source: Bloomberg (2), Reuters

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Those that think the days of companies settling out to make a fast buck on fraud is over. I hope GM holds to weeding out these idiots.

     

    This is not to say that some of the victims of the ignition issue are not valid and deserve fair compensation.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Good job GM. Don't let that POS take your money. I love that GM didn't just take the easy route of settling out of court. 

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I was hoping this got tossed as I read up on this case and it stunk from the start. 

     

    I wager the other cases are not any better but will GM has the dirt to prove it? 

     

    I find it fascinating how on so many of these cased I have looked at that there was so much more than the media would tell you. 

     

    As far as I am concerned GM should make this guy pay their legal fees. 

     

    I wish more companies could fight back with out being trashed in the media when they have a legitimate case to fight back. 

    2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think you guys are being way too generous to GM. This may be a case where someone was trying to take advantage of the situation as a whole, but in the legit ones, GM needs it's ass handed to it.

     

    And on a side note, Takata just needs to be shut the f@#k down.

    -2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think you guys are being way too generous to GM. This may be a case where someone was trying to take advantage of the situation as a whole, but in the legit ones, GM needs it's ass handed to it.

     

    And on a side note, Takata just needs to be shut the f@#k down.

    Well, Ill agree to that sentiment about GM's ass being handed to it only on the the aspect of when GM tried to cover up their cheapening of the part.

     

    NOT in situations like this court case...

     

    Same with Takata.

     

    But, not to be shut down...

    if THAT were the case, then Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, VW and others along with General Electric, Apple, Microsoft, Intel, Sony, EXXON, ENRON, Goldman and SACHs among a helluva alot of others have commited fraud, theft, pollution, death etc...should also be shut down...

     

    I mean, that would be roughly about 99.999% of ALL corporations world wide...where would we go from there?

     

    Ive said it before, and Ill say it again...it is NOT the company as a whole that should pay the price, just the people involved with the scandals...

     

    The big wigs should rot in prison, because although Im a Greek Orthodox Christian, I somehow sometimes dont believe there is a God so them rotting in hell might not exist...so..rot in prison, but the good people that are still left in the corporate businesses they represent that were NOT involved should be allowed to run the companies...because the companies themselves are still responsible for millions of people...and the products they produce are still important for our lives...

    -1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think a lot of corporate attorneys learned just how much fraud there is out there after the BP debacle. Yes, there are some legitimate plaintiffs that have actual damages and harm. But once you start to create a matrix of quality control for reviewing every case filed against you and red flags are found in the file, then, as Patrick Swayze would say in 'Road House', "it's time to not be nice."

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Well in the book What Did Jesus Drive it lays out why companies settle. 

     

    Some cases it is because even if they win they will spend more than they could settle for. In other cases it is because even if they win the media paints them into a major PR mess that makes them look bad even if they did nothing wrong. It also outlines the case of the Ford, Firestone deal. If it were not for a joint family issue between the Ford and Firestone family Ford would have gone after Firestone. As it was the Family told those running the company not to toss them under the bus even with no Firestone family members at the company yet, 

    They all know there is a lot of fraud out there but few ever believe the large evil companies are ever right so  even in the cases where they are they have to use caution to make sure they are not painted evil just by sticking up for themselves. 

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Figured this case would go that way...too many people chasing that buck...

     

     

    I figure there are VERY few cases where this might have actually caused a death....

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. stlcadet11
      stlcadet11
      (27 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com
       
      200 MPH plus EV, Do we care?
       
      Yesterday April 13th 2017, Lucid sent out an email about how their near production test car hit a top speed of 217 mph at the Ohio's Transportation Center banked oval test track. Many of us that follow the industry know that Tesla limits their auto's to 155 mph.  Lucid is on record that they intend to meet the needs of the high-speed cruising market of Europe and Middle east. Simulations can only go so far on a computer and then you have to put rubber to the road. This allows the engineers to monitor and tweak everything from the power train, suspension, body fluidity and so much more. This will allow them to review the data, make adjustments and come back later to push the limit even higher.
      We know that Lucid is planning on a $60,000 dollar 400hp, 240 mile range RWD EV with the top model being a six figure AWD 1,000 HP and 400 miles of range on a super dense battery pack.
      This begs the Question, other than the few places you can push this kind of Speed, Does it matter any more if an auto can go over 100 plus mph?
      This question comes from seeing so many auto's that are now breaking that 6 second 0-60 speed showing they have the torque and hp to maintain the speed needed for daily driving.
      Lucid News 
    • By William Maley
      There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning the sale of Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Groupe. A fair number deals with Buick as a number of their products (including the new Regal) are intertwined with Opel. GM executives say this will not affect Buick's lineup down the road.
      “The sale of Opel will have no impact on the fresh new lineup Buick is building out,” said Duncan Aldred, GM’s vice president of global Buick and GMC during the launch of the 2018 Regal this week.
      “This is very much part of our portfolio plan,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s executive vice president of global product development, purchasing, and supply chain to Car and Driver. “As we said, Opel and the engineering/production piece of this is very much intact for all of our global platforms. So, you know, no impact.”
      While the deal isn't fully finished yet, Reuss claimed that issues relating to products would be settled before the final transfer takes place. Reuss said he didn't know "of a specific agreement" when asked about if GM would pay PSA Group for engineering work done by Opel. 
      In related news, Automotive News Europe reports that Opel would continue to build Buick vehicles beyond 2019 in its German factories. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required), Car and Driver

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning the sale of Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Groupe. A fair number deals with Buick as a number of their products (including the new Regal) are intertwined with Opel. GM executives say this will not affect Buick's lineup down the road.
      “The sale of Opel will have no impact on the fresh new lineup Buick is building out,” said Duncan Aldred, GM’s vice president of global Buick and GMC during the launch of the 2018 Regal this week.
      “This is very much part of our portfolio plan,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s executive vice president of global product development, purchasing, and supply chain to Car and Driver. “As we said, Opel and the engineering/production piece of this is very much intact for all of our global platforms. So, you know, no impact.”
      While the deal isn't fully finished yet, Reuss claimed that issues relating to products would be settled before the final transfer takes place. Reuss said he didn't know "of a specific agreement" when asked about if GM would pay PSA Group for engineering work done by Opel. 
      In related news, Automotive News Europe reports that Opel would continue to build Buick vehicles beyond 2019 in its German factories. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required), Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      A group of Shelby GT350 owners are not happy with Ford.
      Yesterday, a lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida claiming that the track-ready GT350 isn't. According to filling, owners complain that the vehicle overheats in as little as 15 minutes due faulty transmissions and rear differentials when driven on a track. When the vehicle does overheat, it goes into a limp mode that reduces power to protect the powertrain. The filing goes on to say that Ford fixed this issue in the 2017 model, but told owners of the 2016 model to make the fixes themselves - a possible breach of the car's warranty.
      “When Ford marketed and sold these Shelby GT350 Mustangs, it knew exactly how to appeal to track-enthusiasts: it marketed enhanced performance in a limited-edition iconic vehicle that has been associated with racing for generations,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, the law firm handling the case.
      “We believe that Ford induced purchasers with its ‘track-ready’ marketing, when in fact it knew that this defect would ultimately bar these Mustangs from ever being the hotrod consumers paid for.”
      At the moment, the lawsuit has four named plaintiffs. Hagens Berman estimates about 4,000 owners are affected by this issue. 
      “Ford is committed to providing our customers with top-quality vehicles. However, we do not comment on pending litigation,” said Ford spokesman Bradley Carroll to The Detroit News.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      A group of Shelby GT350 owners are not happy with Ford.
      Yesterday, a lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida claiming that the track-ready GT350 isn't. According to filling, owners complain that the vehicle overheats in as little as 15 minutes due faulty transmissions and rear differentials when driven on a track. When the vehicle does overheat, it goes into a limp mode that reduces power to protect the powertrain. The filing goes on to say that Ford fixed this issue in the 2017 model, but told owners of the 2016 model to make the fixes themselves - a possible breach of the car's warranty.
      “When Ford marketed and sold these Shelby GT350 Mustangs, it knew exactly how to appeal to track-enthusiasts: it marketed enhanced performance in a limited-edition iconic vehicle that has been associated with racing for generations,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, the law firm handling the case.
      “We believe that Ford induced purchasers with its ‘track-ready’ marketing, when in fact it knew that this defect would ultimately bar these Mustangs from ever being the hotrod consumers paid for.”
      At the moment, the lawsuit has four named plaintiffs. Hagens Berman estimates about 4,000 owners are affected by this issue. 
      “Ford is committed to providing our customers with top-quality vehicles. However, we do not comment on pending litigation,” said Ford spokesman Bradley Carroll to The Detroit News.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)