Jump to content
Create New...
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    General Motors Announces Job Cuts and Plant Shutdowns in North America

      Five factories are on the chopping block


    This morning, General Motors announced an overhaul of its operations in 2019 which will involve cutting more than 10,000 workers and possibly closing five plants by the end of the year. GM said the cuts should boost cash flow by six billion by the end of 2020.

    “The actions we are taking today continue our transformation to be highly agile, resilient and profitable, while giving us the flexibility to invest in the future. We recognize the need to stay in front of changing market conditions and customer preferences to position our company for long-term success,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra in a statement.

    The plants up for possible closure are,

    • Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Michigan - Home to Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Chevrolet Impala, and Chevrolet Volt.
    • Lordstown Assembly in Ohio - Home to Chevrolet Cruze.
    • Oshawa Assembly in Ontario, Canada - Home to Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala, and finishing production of last-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra
    • Baltimore Operations in Maryland (Propulsion)
    • Warren Transmission Operations in Michigan

    Hints of this announcement came out last night when reports from CTV and The Globe and Mail in Canada reported the closure of Oshawa.

    The plant closures also mean a number of models being dropped - including the LaCrosse, CT6, Impala, and Volt. The Cruze will be built in Mexico for other markets.

    It was expected GM was going to make some changes to address the underutilization of its plants. Dara from the Center for Automotive Research says GM represents 1 million of the 3.2 million units of underutilized capacity in the U.S. through October.

    This announcement comes on the eve of negotiations with the UAW next year and Unifor in 2020. The UAW has announced that it will challenge GM's decision "through every legal, contractual and collective bargaining avenue open to our membership."

    The announcement has brought pushback from politicians. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau expressed "deep disappointment" with the decision. U.S. Senator Rob Portman, a Republican from Ohio express frustration with the possible shutdown of Lordstown.

    One group not disappointed with the news is Wall Street. GM stock rose 6.18 percent to $38.00 per share at the time of this writing.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Bloomberg, Reuters, Twitter, General Motors


    General Motors Accelerates Transformation

    • Transforming the global enterprise to advance the company’s vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion
    • Taking cost actions and optimizing capital expenditures to drive annual run-rate cash savings of approximately $6 billion by year-end 2020

    DETROIT – General Motors (NYSE: GM) will accelerate its transformation for the future, building on the comprehensive strategy it laid out in 2015 to strengthen its core business, capitalize on the future of personal mobility and drive significant cost efficiencies.

    Today, GM is continuing to take proactive steps to improve overall business performance including the reorganization of its global product development staffs, the realignment of its manufacturing capacity and a reduction of salaried workforce. These actions are expected to increase annual adjusted automotive free cash flow by $6 billion by year-end 2020 on a run-rate basis.

    “The actions we are taking today continue our transformation to be highly agile, resilient and profitable, while giving us the flexibility to invest in the future,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “We recognize the need to stay in front of changing market conditions and customer preferences to position our company for long-term success.”

    Contributing to the cash savings of approximately $6 billion are cost reductions of $4.5 billion and a lower capital expenditure annual run rate of almost $1.5 billion. The actions include:

    • Transforming product development – GM is evolving its global product development workforce and processes to drive world-class levels of engineering in advanced technologies, and to improve quality and speed to market. Resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs will double in the next two years. Additional actions include:
      • Increasing high-quality component sharing across the portfolio, especially those not visible and perceptible to customers.
      • Expanding the use of virtual tools to lower development time and costs.
      • Integrating its vehicle and propulsion engineering teams.
      • Compressing its global product development campuses.
    • Optimizing product portfolio – GM has recently invested in newer, highly efficient vehicle architectures, especially in trucks, crossovers and SUVs. GM now intends to prioritize future vehicle investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures. As the current vehicle portfolio is optimized, it is expected that more than 75 percent of GM’s global sales volume will come from five vehicle architectures by early next decade.
    • Increasing capacity utilization – In the past four years, GM has refocused capital and resources to support the growth of its crossovers, SUVs and trucks, adding shifts and investing $6.6 billion in U.S. plants that have created or maintained 17,600 jobs. With changing customer preferences in the U.S. and in response to market-related volume declines in cars, future products will be allocated to fewer plants next year.
      • Assembly plants that will be unallocated in 2019 include:
        • Oshawa Assembly in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.
        • Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit.
        • Lordstown Assembly in Warren, Ohio.
      • Propulsion plants that will be unallocated in 2019 include:
        • Baltimore Operations in White Marsh, Maryland.
        • Warren Transmission Operations in Warren, Michigan.

    In addition to the previously announced closure of the assembly plant in Gunsan, Korea, GM will cease the operations of two additional plants outside North America by the end of 2019.

    These manufacturing actions are expected to significantly increase capacity utilization. To further enhance business performance, GM will continue working to improve other manufacturing costs, productivity and the competitiveness of wages and benefits.

    • Staffing transformation – The company is transforming its global workforce to ensure it has the right skill sets for today and the future, while driving efficiencies through the utilization of best-in-class tools. Actions are being taken to reduce salaried and salaried contract staff by 15 percent, which includes 25 percent fewer executives to streamline decision making.

    Barra added, “These actions will increase the long-term profit and cash generation potential of the company and improve resilience through the cycle.”

    GM expects to fund the restructuring costs through a new credit facility that will further improve the company’s strong liquidity position and enhance its financial flexibility.

    GM expects to record pre-tax charges of $3.0 billion to $3.8 billion related to these actions, including up to $1.8 billion of non-cash accelerated asset write-downs and pension charges, and up to $2.0 billion of employee-related and other cash-based expenses. The majority of these charges will be considered special for EBIT-adjusted, EPS diluted-adjusted and adjusted automotive free cash flow purposes. The majority of these charges will be incurred in the fourth quarter of 2018 and first quarter of 2019, with some additional costs incurred through the remainder of 2019. 

    Edited by William Maley

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/27/mary-barra-gm-general-motors/2116833002/

    This is spot on and I agree CEO Barra is doing the right thing by GM. We cannot keep making the same stupid mistakes of the past and she has grown GM while Ford has fallen 44% in value and is about to implode on debt. All politicians are idiots that cannot seem to exert self control and live within a balanced budget. What Potus 45 said over and over attacking companies, CEO Barra is making sure GM will not have to go back to the GOV for a bailout in our oncoming next recession.

    Rock on Barra! :metal:

    • Disagree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/27/mary-barra-gm-general-motors/2116833002/

    This is spot on and I agree CEO Barra is doing the right thing by GM. We cannot keep making the same stupid mistakes of the past and she has grown GM while Ford has fallen 44% in value and is about to implode on debt. All politicians are idiots that cannot seem to exert self control and live within a balanced budget. What Potus 45 said over and over attacking companies, CEO Barra is making sure GM will not have to go back to the GOV for a bailout in our oncoming next recession.

    Rock on Barra! :metal:

    Got to love stock market, thousands of people will end up on the street jobless, but stocks went up.  Question is for how long?  People without jobs = bad economy = recession.

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It was time to do something...but between slashing these products, maybe there's a glimmer of hope they can remake and re-do the remaining set of plebian, out classed and "why isn't it even as nice as the last gen?" current mix of crossovers, embarrassing full size trucks, etc. they have. The shocking "what the heck is THAT thing?" of the current full size trucks intro should have been a visible "UH OH" to days and years to come to everyone.

    Interesting news day. Just one of those...time to rip the bandaid off and stop 45% "kinda look we did it" with a too large mix of products. Things got better after 2009-2010 cuts, then went downhill fast again recently, so hopefully these cuts help...something...? They always struggle to stay on point, somehow.

    Those times as someone above mentioned..."can we borrow Bob Lutz for 3 years as a consultant for everything out now?" Something. Anything. When you can't come out with an all new full size truck generation that makes anyone take a 2nd look, and most laugh, it's a red alert zone.

    Edited by caddycruiser
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    47 minutes ago, ykX said:

    Got to love stock market, thousands of people will end up on the street jobless, but stocks went up.  Question is for how long?  People without jobs = bad economy = recession.

    While I do believe we have a major correction coming for the stock market and a recession that is overdue, I do not think it is that dire when you see a company properly managing by adjusting what they need in manufacturing sites and jobs to survive and make a profit. 

    GM has had poor mgmt for so long that now that they have a hard as nails CEO, it scares people. Yet this is how and what is needed to survive long term.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

    There was also a Cobalt SS...forgot about that..was trying to think of cheap GM performance cars from the last 15 years or so...

    The HHR SS was in the mix as well. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    11 hours ago, balthazar said:

    Dude, the Tundra's been here since 1999! "They did" is what you meant to say. How's that working out for toyota?

    I point the finger of shame at Toyota for not being more competitive in the full size truck game.  The Tundra is way dated, super dated powertains, etc.  Let's not forget that the Tacoma basically helped put the Dakota and Ranger out of business.  But Toyota should be embarrassed for not having a better Tundra that can sell 2500,000 units per year, they aren't going to top Ford or Chevy but they should be taking a bigger chunk.

    11 hours ago, dfelt said:

    I almost got a 1991 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ but then drove the 1991 Ford Escort GT built by Mazda and it rocked and destroyed the Beretta for less money.

    1991 Beretta GTZ

    See the source image

    1991 Ford Escort GT

    See the source image

    Had the GT for almost 100,000 miles before my wife was rear ended by a DOT truck and totaled it.

    I miss cars with no grill.  This 2 pull it off, the 2000 Monte Carlo and the late 90s, early 2000s Oldsmobiles were no grill.   I like the all solid body color up front on these two, and that is a styling trend I wish would come back in some places.  Almost every car now has the same trapezoid shaped mesh opening up front.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yes these changes are hard, very hard.  Mary Barra is the type of CEO GM needed instead of All the Failed CEOs from 1980-2010.  GM may need to be smaller than Ford in order to NOT ask for a bailout of any kind for the next decade.  A recession will come and she is battening down the hatches.  If a nasty recession hits, GM will survive.  Ford may not survive because of that debt overhang from the last recession (that Ford still has not resolved).  FCA may well be Dead auto company Walking as we speak.  Toyota and Honda and Hyundai/KIA will not only be fine but will probably thrive since NONE of their domestic markets were ever invaded or conquered.  The Germans have to deal with DieselGate and a stagnant European car market, despite what smk4565 said about Daimler building a new factory for the S-Class.  And on top of all that, China may well dominate all others by 2030 barring some miracle.

    The only real complaint that I have is that a lot of GM pricing could stand to be reduced by $2500-5000 per vehicle.  New cars are ridiculously unaffordable across the board.  Even KIAs rarely bring real cost savings versus the competition.  The industry is far too reliant on leasing to keep dealers afloat.  That is an unsustainable business model for which will end in tears sooner rather than later.  I know that without expensive leases and their painfully restrictive terms, the industry could not get away with these insane MSRPs.

     

    Why all these cuts?  Simple: a lot of Baby Boomers (and younger buyers) ditched GM for Germany and Japan since at least the late '70s, and few have turned back.

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    GM pulled down $2.5 billion in net profit last quarter. They're not remotely flirting with either bankruptcy or asking for a bailout, and they're not in the same hemisphere they were the single time they ever asked for a 'loan guarantee' in their then 100-year history (of which saw numerous recessions).

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    As an enthusiast.. this is horrible news from General Motors.. that leaves a great deal of us scratching our heads wondering how a company like this can:

    1) Not have an entry level sedan such as the Cruze when there exists a Civic, Corolla, Maz3, Elantra?

    2) Not have a Large sized Impala or Large Lux CT6, both which have been acclaimed vehicles since they arrived?

    3) Kill the LaXat Buick and Volt at Chevy?

    But then I see the Rivian.. and Tesla.. and Bolt. and realize that GM made this announcement almost 2 years ago and no one paid attention.. Definitely not me. Remember the announcement that GM wold have 20 new EV vehicles by 2023

    Quote

    “General Motors believes in an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, General Motors executive vice president of Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Although that future won't happen overnight, GM is committed to driving increased usage and acceptance of electric vehicles through no-compromise solutions that meet our customers' needs.” Cadillac Press Release

    Got me thinking.. Could this be it? Is this the date of change.. sorta like a GOING ON-LINE DATE? 

    Thinking.. Why would U need a Cruze sized vehicle if the goal of the Cruze was to cut emissions? An EV would instantly do that. I will be the first to wonder why the Volt would be killed.. as it would be the perfect name to simply go all electric is we are at the point that we can do so with better range than even the 250 miles range of the 60 kWh Bolt. Surely GM can beat the Rivian's range estimates of  300 miles for the 135-kwh,  400 miles for the 180-kwh, and 230 miles for the 105-kwh.

    Obviously to me.. the lost of the Impala and CT6 are the most hurtful.. as I was planning to get a CT6-V at the end of the year. I realize it will be available.. but how rare will it be. Future classic no doubt. Still knocks me in the head that the Omega platform was not utilized in such a way that it accommodated not only the CT6, but also the Impala (merged with SS). Alas.. ACCEPTANCE is what it is.. if GM is doing what I said above, because lets face it.. if they don;t move ahead with electrification.. they are DONE in 15 years. I mean it. IF THIS IS THE PLAN.. then applaud Mary Barra, an engineer by training. A lotta people are thinking about the Human factor concerning the lost of thousands of jobs.. Baltimore is slated to lose 300 jobs. That hits close to home. EV and Hydrogen powered vehicles will sit along with the Gas/diesel ones for another decade I'm sure.

    AR-171009946.jpg

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I also maintain that I think that research went into where to yank product. Looking at the situation objectively.. if U look at Buick.. the LaX is the one to go.. especially since the XTS is dead.. At Chevy.. the Impala would have again stayed coupled with the CT6 on Omega.. but I have to believe that Chevy is not completely pulling a "1996" and abandoning full-size for SUVs again.. making the case for the sudden emergence of the FWD based Blazer make sense. The CRUZE.. again.. if the Sonic is gonna stay, and its essentially going to move up in size slightly.. kill the Spark and be... WAITTAMINUTE.. Could they be keeping the SPARK name alive and putting it on an complete line of EV cars? Like Chevy "Spark" Chevy Bolt etc.. but all of them EV? So why not keep the Volt.. a perfect EV play on words too? 

    Quote

    Cadillac will get a “disproportionate share” of the 20 all-electric vehiclesthat GM plans to bring to market globally by 2023,  BLOOMBERG

    Cadillac ? Maybe they needed to make room.. for this. 

    Edited by Cmicasa the Great
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    9 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    As an enthusiast.. this is horrible news from General Motors.. that leaves a great deal of us scratching our heads wondering how a company like this can:

    1) Not have an entry level sedan such as the Cruze when there exists a Civic, Corolla, Maz3, Elantra?

    2) Not have a Large sized Impala or Large Lux CT6, both which have been acclaimed vehicles since they arrived?

    3) Kill the LaXat Buick and Volt at Chevy?

     

    1. Ford will have no entry level sedan either.  Neither does FCA.  They've given up, leaving the entry level market to the Japanese and Korean car makers, who know how to build them profitably.

    2. Sales #s of those models are down and the full size segment continues to decline. 

    3. For the LaX, same as the Impala...dying models in a dying segment.  For the Volt, maybe they have an EV CUV in the works to replace it. 

    Like Ford and FCA, they are hoping sales of trucks, CUVs, and SUVs can sustain them until they get their EV and AV plans fully realized...

    Edited by Robert Hall
    • Like 1
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    1. Ford will have no entry level sedan either.  Neither does FCA.  They've given up, leaving the entry level market to the Japanese and Korean car makers, who know how to build them profitably.

    2. Sales #s of those models are down and the full size segment continues to decline. 

    3. For the LaX, same as the Impala...dying models in a dying segment.  For the Volt, maybe they have an EV CUV in the works to replace it. 

    I agree on #3. I don;t completely agree on #1. I stand by the possibility that because Chevy is one of the few builders with not one.. but 4 Small cars in its line-up.. it makes zero sense to keep all of them.. as I have stated for years concerning the Sonic/Spark and Cruze/Volt.. constantly stating that the Volt and Cruze should have always been one vehicle.. and the Sonic.. being the bones of the Trax, should have always been allowed to be the only sub-compact instead of having to compete on lot with the cheaper Spark

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It's weird, the Cruze was built here in NE Ohio, but the 2nd gen is completely unseen on the roads.  I've seen maybe a 1/2 dozen of them around NE Ohio in the last 18 months.    Yet I see Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, and, Kia compact sedans daily....I rarely ever see Sonics or Sparks either.  

    The Sonic and Spark are leftovers from 10 years ago or so when subcompact cars still sold--Ford brought in the Fiesta, the Fiat 500 came, the Fit, etc but that niche seems to have dried up. 

    Edited by Robert Hall
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    1. Ford will have no entry level sedan either.  Neither does FCA.  They've given up, leaving the entry level market to the Japanese and Korean car makers, who know how to build them profitably.

    2. Sales #s of those models are down...

    Sales of the japanese/Korean entry level market cars are ALSO down. Question is, who moved quicker to head off the inevitable?

    Edited by balthazar
    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    It's weird, the Cruze was built here in NE Ohio, but the 2nd gen is completely unseen on the roads.  I've seen maybe a 1/2 dozen of them around NE Ohio in the last 18 months.    Yet I see Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, and, Kia compact sedans daily....I rarely ever see Sonics or Sparks either.  

    The Sonic and Spark are leftovers from 10 years ago or so when subcompact cars still sold--Ford brought in the Fiesta, the Fiat 500 came, the Fit, etc but that niche seems to have dried up. 

    If that's the case.. no offense.. those workers and their family.. and their friends.. are gonna get what they deserve if the plant closes. Seriously. The CRUZE is a top notch small car. Its reliable.. good looking.. quick.. has plenty of tech. I tell people all the time that in Germany and Europe... VWs sell because the IG Metal Auto Union has many workers.. and they understand the idea of reap what U sow. Hell I look like driving a Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, and, Kia compact sedan when my family.. friends.. work at the Chevy plant?

    "Hey Dad.. why can't we eat tonite? "

    "Well Sandy.. U and your friends bought a Civic made up in Ontario"

    5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

    Sales of the japanese/Korean entry level market cars are ALSO down. Question is, who moved quicker to head off the inevitable?

    I don't get it.. but U're right.. CARS are just not what people want anymore on mass versus the CUV. Its literally in the numbers. Not one announcement by GM that anything sitting lower than a Trax was gettin the axe.. not even the Bolt. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    A problem I see is utter lack of demand for electric cars.  How about those Bolt sales?  Bolt and Leaf are the friendliest electrics on the market... and they most certainly struggle to sell.  I just do not see this pie in the sky plan working.  There is no clamor for it.

    Edited by ocnblu
    • Disagree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    15 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

    A problem I see is utter lack of demand for electric cars.  How about those Bolt sales?  Bolt and Leaf are the friendliest electrics on the market... and they most certainly struggle to sell.  I just do not see this pie in the sky plan working.  There is no clamor for it.

    if their life depends on it,, I believe they will make it mainstream. That's it.. That's it. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Except most Hondas and Acuras are built in Ohio or Indiana, while the Odyssey, Ridgeline and Pilot are made in Alabama.  Buying an Accord or CR-V supports Ohio workers.  Civics are made in the US and Canada.  

    And if GM wanted people to buy the Cruze then it should have been a better car at a better price.  They never offered a performance version, they offered a $28k diesel that was way over priced that no one was going to buy, that was just bad execution all around.

    As far as what products get cut you have look at market sizes.  Mid-size car is still about 2 million units per year in the USA.  Small car is less, large car is maybe 200k units a year and all 3 are shrinking.   I can see GM competing only in mid-size sedan with Chevy/Buick, and giving Cadillac 2 sedans.  The volume is in crossovers.

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    37 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    if their life depends on it,, I believe they will make it mainstream. That's it.. That's it. 

    Their life according to whom exactly?  If consumer demand is non-existent to a very large degree, with governments in 180-degree alignment with consumers... who loses?  There is no positive way to spin it.  If they are not demanded by citizens, how will these car companies survive on legislated dreams alone?

    25 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Except most Hondas and Acuras are built in Ohio or Indiana, while the Odyssey, Ridgeline and Pilot are made in Alabama.  Buying an Accord or CR-V supports Ohio workers.  Civics are made in the US and Canada.  

    And if GM wanted people to buy the Cruze then it should have been a better car at a better price.  They never offered a performance version, they offered a $28k diesel that was way over priced that no one was going to buy, that was just bad execution all around.

    As far as what products get cut you have look at market sizes.  Mid-size car is still about 2 million units per year in the USA.  Small car is less, large car is maybe 200k units a year and all 3 are shrinking.   I can see GM competing only in mid-size sedan with Chevy/Buick, and giving Cadillac 2 sedans.  The volume is in crossovers.

    I am way more interested now than I was before GM's announcement and implied future plans to see the Honda Passport.  Anything but a GM product.  Further, the 2019 Ram 1500 - Motor Trend truck of the Year!  With no time needed to adjust myself to the new look.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    ^ It IS unprecedented in history: Government "paying" you via a tax credit, to buy a private (IE: not Gov't) company's product.

    What ever happened to Separation of Company & State? ;)

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    A problem I see is utter lack of demand for electric cars.  How about those Bolt sales?  Bolt and Leaf are the friendliest electrics on the market... and they most certainly struggle to sell.  I just do not see this pie in the sky plan working.  There is no clamor for it.

    There is, that is why they added another shift of Bolt production both here in North America and in China, the Bolt is selling well. Marketing has always sucked at GM and that is why they do not sell more. If they offered as many choices on configurations as GM does on trucks, the BOLT would sell allot more. Add in they should have had at the Volt 2.0 release a CUV Volt also as that is what the public wants.

    2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    Their life according to whom exactly?  If consumer demand is non-existent to a very large degree, with governments in 180-degree alignment with consumers... who loses?  There is no positive way to spin it.  If they are not demanded by citizens, how will these car companies survive on legislated dreams alone?

    I am way more interested now than I was before GM's announcement and implied future plans to see the Honda Passport.  Anything but a GM product.  Further, the 2019 Ram 1500 - Motor Trend truck of the Year!  With no time needed to adjust myself to the new look.

    Enjoy your gutless honda passport that is replacing your gutless jeep. At least you go from 4 banger to 6 banger. ;) 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Why is the Passport gutless?  It isn't even on sale yet, but the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey seem to be pretty proven over time.  The Passport interior looks better than a Blazer or Edge.  I am not a Honda fan, but the Passport seems just as good as anything else in this segment.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    7 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Why is the Passport gutless?  It isn't even on sale yet, but the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey seem to be pretty proven over time.  The Passport interior looks better than a Blazer or Edge.  I am not a Honda fan, but the Passport seems just as good as anything else in this segment.

    Hold up... hold up.. U think this

    CR-Cars-InlineHero-2019-Honda-Passport-f

     

    looks better than this

     

    45b7547b-2019-chevy-blazer-videos.jpg

     

    Dude.. U done bumped your goofy head

    • Haha 1
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    14 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Why is the Passport gutless?  It isn't even on sale yet, but the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey seem to be pretty proven over time.  The Passport interior looks better than a Blazer or Edge.  I am not a Honda fan, but the Passport seems just as good as anything else in this segment.

    Have you driven a Pilot or Ridgeline or Odyssey? yes they move the auto, but performance and excitement they are not. This is just a shaved CUV of those ugly blah auto's for people who want blah auto's. Gutless to me it is.

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    48 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Have you driven a Pilot or Ridgeline or Odyssey? yes they move the auto, but performance and excitement they are not. This is just a shaved CUV of those ugly blah auto's for people who want blah auto's. Gutless to me it is.

    A performance Honda?  An exciting Honda?  You must be talking about the late Acura NSX or something like that.  Honda builds engines and then the appliances around them (excluding their motorcycles).

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    Hold up... hold up.. U think this

    CR-Cars-InlineHero-2019-Honda-Passport-f

     

    looks better than this

     

    45b7547b-2019-chevy-blazer-videos.jpg

     

    Dude.. U done bumped your goofy head

     

    Well, as much as I like the Blazer, at least the Passport has balls....something I actually EXPECTED the Blazer to come with.

    Hell, they could at least made some use out of this cute Ute and throw a modded 3.6 and made a hot rod model out of it...

    That said, I’m less worried about electric cars/trucks, more more worried about the lack of people who want to buy them. Car nuts like us could argue all day over what we want in out cars, but the reality is most younger folk don’t want to drive, or even waste the money on one so they can spend more time/money on their phones or lifestyle.

    We are but a dying breed here guys.....I at least find comfort that my 10 year old son cares and wants to be a car guy....

    Self driving and public transportation is the future....please shoot me now. They’ll have to pry the steering wheel out of my cold, dead hands.........

    Edited by daves87rs
    • Sad 1
    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    12 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

     

    Well, as much as I like the Blazer, at least the Passport has balls....something I actually EXPECTED the Blazer to come with.

    Hell, they could at least made some use out of this cute Ute and throw a modded 3.6 and made a hot rod model out of it...

    That said, I’m less worried about electric cars/trucks, more more worried about the lack of people who want to buy them. Car nuts like us could argue all day over what we want in out cars, but the reality is most younger folk don’t want to drive, or even waste the money on one so they can spend more time/money on their phones or lifestyle.

    We are but a dying breed here guys.....I at least find comfort that my 10 year old son cares and wants to be a car guy....

    Self driving and public transportation is the future....please shoot me now. They’ll have to pry the steering wheel out of my cold, dead hands.........

    Sadly I see way too many young people more engrossed in social media on their smartphone and using Uber / Lyft than wanting to drive. ?‍♂️

    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 minute ago, dfelt said:

    Sadly I see way too many young people more engrossed in social media on their smartphone and using Uber / Lyft than wanting to drive. ?‍♂️

    I also think that the price of cars and such has got a bit high...which is not helping either.

    Too much crap on cars and not enough “base” models kinda kills the imagination ......

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 minute ago, daves87rs said:

    I also think that the price of cars and such has got a bit high...which is not helping either.

    Too much crap on cars and not enough “base” models kinda kills the imagination ......

    Very true, companies have forgotten that they have to have base model, for people to afford and start out with. I see no reason to not have a base model car that has manual door locks, manual windows, no AC, basic AM/FM radio and minimal electronics as a starter auto for teens / college students.

    • Agree 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Very true, companies have forgotten that they have to have base model, for people to afford and start out with. I see no reason to not have a base model car that has manual door locks, manual windows, no AC, basic AM/FM radio and minimal electronics as a starter auto for teens / college students.

    Never thought I would say it, but I miss them....

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    5 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

    Never thought I would say it, but I miss them....

    These base auto's were very trouble free due to the lack of electronics and ease of maintenance. Think how solid a base auto from any auto company would be if it was all manual with minimal gov required safety devices. It could with proper maintenance outlast many more expensive auto's.

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    These base auto's were very trouble free due to the lack of electronics and ease of maintenance. Think how solid a base auto from any auto company would be if it was all manual with minimal gov required safety devices. It could with proper maintenance outlast many more expensive auto's.

    Yep, I think I have the last of them....a 2003 and 2004 base Cavaliers. Neither one has power anything! And I can count the issues I have had on one hand.... ? 

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Electric/autonomous = utter joylessness.  They want cars to be like phones.  But how much will this week's model be worth when next week's model comes out?  I will never willingly enter a pod and sit there like a vegetable while it takes me to that dead end.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    6 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    Hold up... hold up.. U think this

    CR-Cars-InlineHero-2019-Honda-Passport-f

     

    looks better than this

     

    45b7547b-2019-chevy-blazer-videos.jpg

     

    Dude.. U done bumped your goofy head

    Why should I help fund Barra's cockamamie vision of the future?  The Blazer RS WAS on my radar until  I choked on the price tag.  The Passport, yes, it is a shortie Pilot with black trim, but it will be roomier than the Blazer, and it still has a proper V6 engine and some sort of ability to deal with unpaved roads.  I still hate the Ridgeline though.

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

    Why should I help fund Barra's cockamamie vision of the future?  The Blazer RS WAS on my radar until  I choked on the price tag.  The Passport, yes, it is a shortie Pilot with black trim, but it will be roomier than the Blazer, and it still has a proper V6 engine and some sort of ability to deal with unpaved roads.  I still hate the Ridgeline though.

     

    So let me fund Honda's vision.. or Toyota's.. or BMW's??? Protest change by funding other companies' change.. cause its coming.Best believe

    The "ABILITY TO DEAL WITH AN UNPAVED ROAD" part.. So by that U are saying that after U drove.. after the press drove the Blazer.. it couldn't deal with unpaved roads? Yeah.. because nothing says "we're a Jeep or Hummer" like matte black on the front... anyway.. Post a review.. any review.. and not just pamphlet words from an Autoshow Honda rep.

    Some one mentioned V6.. What did I miss? The Chevy has a V6 in the Premier and RS.. 3.6-liter V6 making 305 horses and 269 pound-feet vs the Passport's V6 @280 hp and 262 lb-ft of torque.. OOOOOHHHHH.. because Honda decided to only give U one choice.. and we hate the fact that GM is giving us an engine choice... 

    Price.. correct me if I'm wrong but they all start about the same projected price if the Ridgeline is an indicator.. OH! V6 vs V6 price only.. well there U got me.. but again I point to the fact that on the Chevy I'm getting more HP and more torque.. and the price of the Chevy with the V6 is coming with AWD.. cause the way y'all are kicking it the Honda comes with STANDARD AWD.. which is WRONG!!! Furthermore the Blazer AWD system is very capable as it is supposed to be the exact same as in the Acadia and XT5. 

    Blazer.jpg

    Also.. far as I know.. and this the kicker. As of this writing.. a few months from now I walk into a Chevy dealership and the seemingly SAFE from Kill-Off SUV/CUV line-up is Trax, Equinox, Blazer, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban.. at Honda.. HR-V, CR-V, Passport, Pilot.. I would say I'd rather take my chances at Chevy

    LMFAO at the idea that now we are hating on GM because it is embracing FAR-SIGHTEDNESS... because we love the smell of gas and oil. I promise U... I'm more of a car guy that many.. and if it comes to me having to buy a Corvette or Cadillac or Chevy.. a Buick.. hell a GMC.. with a power-train that is capable of 400+ Miles with me not having to spend $50-70 on gas... I'm all for it. Add in the benefits of Zero Emissions, extreme acceleration and extremely limited maintenance.. and I'm on board.

    On to a different  portion of this.. Far as I know.. Autonomous driving will not be the only mode of transportation. If that is a setting.. I'm all for it. Plenty of times I hang out too long and dribk too much.. wouldn't have an issue with my car demanding I take a quick blow-Sobriety check and then say "Shut the f@#k up.. I'm driving Cmi.. "?     Oh.. its gonna be an argument...? I'm gonna tell that car to f@#k off... but then its not gonna start.. have me sit there for a minute.. serve me another WhistlePig?.. and I'm gonna shut the f@#k up and awaaaaay we go.?

    Edited by Cmicasa the Great
    • Haha 2
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    ^ Everybody is STILL waiting for the much ballyhooed flying cars, going on roughly 60 years now.
    You'll be wheeled from room to room by a nurse's aide before you're still getting plastered and having your autonomous car drive you down city streets/ back roads.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    10 hours ago, dfelt said:

    There is, that is why they added another shift of Bolt production both here in North America and in China, the Bolt is selling well.

    Bolt had it's best month this year in October, moving 2075 units. But it still trails the Volt by 1000 units on the year and 2000 is nothing to write home about. Cruze is doing about 37,000 units/month. Bolt is only "selling well" for an electric car, but it's selling very poorly for a small car. Cruze is rumored/supposedly going away, assumedly/supposedly for profitability reasons. Think on that one a bit.

    • Thanks 1
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

    Bolt had it's best month this year in October, moving 2075 units. But it still trails the Volt by 1000 units on the year and 2000 is nothing to write home about. Cruze is doing about 37,000 units/month. Bolt is only "selling well" for an electric car, but it's selling very poorly for a small car. Cruze is rumored/supposedly going away, assumedly/supposedly for profitability reasons. Think on that one a bit.

    I think that was about 37k for the 3rd quarter...remember, GM switched from monthly reporting to quarterly to hide the monthly results. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 minute ago, balthazar said:

    ^ Everybody is STILL waiting for the much ballyhooed flying cars, going on roughly 60 years now.
    You'll be wheeled from room to room by a nurse's aide before you're still getting plastered and having your autonomous car drive you down city streets/ back roads.

    Well DAMN.. I was reeeeally looking forward to some extreme bar hopping and binge drinking without having to pay Uber and Lyft $70 on a Friday night. 

    Either way.. Autonomous driving is the SECONDARY portion of all this.. hell.. even the EV part we won't see in complete realization for the next 5 years. But.. at the end of 2019 six vehicles (LaX, Impala, XTS. CT6, Volt and Cruze) are DEAD!!! And will be replaced somewhere else.. GM is trimming fat in its employee line-up which is the real story being reported due to Trump's announcement to cut  subsidies.. which BTW.. even GM is asking.. "What Subsidies" considering in a few months the Tax credit to SHOPPERS is gonna run out as Tesla's has already.  

    Again.. if the Cruze is being replaced by a larger Sonic.. and the Spark is gonna continue as an EV along with the Bolt.. that makes sense.. and I have suggested it many times in the past. I would have rather kept the Cruze name but hey.. to @Robert Hall's portion about GM/Ford/Chry not being able to produce a profitable compact in the U.S... I say interesting enough the SONIC was actually being produced at a profit while being built here. Also.. the domestics issue with compact cars laid not so much in the cars.. but more so in the marketing.. and their want to spend that marketing dollar on trucks and suvs.. ironically now. Part of that marketing issue laid in a thing as simple as NAMES. The Corolla has been a name since 1966. As $h!ty of a car as it is.. It's formula isn't much different that it was then either.. and it has sold a $h!-load. Oh.. the formula= BASIC transportation with little to know innovation except necessary safety features so we can sell in that territory. Oh.. and a name that U remember.  On good authority Chevy's Cruze was originally called Corvair (well kinda) , then Vega, then Monza, the Cavalier, then Cobalt, then Cruze. I also have it on good authority that damn near every negative thing that has happened to those cars that needed be called a massive recall happened in some way to varying degree to the Corolla.. but TOYOTA.. Toyota said keep the name.. and push thru it. Hell, if the Cruze was just still called Cavalier.. it would be well known enough that U could have sales on par with the Civic. The last generation Cruze was for a while in 2010 the top selling Compact if my memory serves.

    LOL.. look at me messing up part of my argument for GM's new edict on innovation... by saying that Toyota may have been right by NOT innovating. In fact.. Chrysler is currently making profits and has good will from enthusiasts for using a formula that has literally been around since the first GTO debuted. The architecture of their cars is 20 years old literally, but they sell because of good marketing and the simple act of putting a big engine in a car so it goes fast in a straight line.. the VERY THING THAT GM and FORD were criticized for thru out the late 80s-and 90s for when the European cars started becoming popular. Now.. I could damn near out handle a Challenger SRT with my YUKON. SMDH. America and conservatism are gonna kill this country's leadership at some point I fear

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

    I think that was about 37k for the 3rd quarter...remember, GM switched from monthly reporting to quarterly to hide the monthly results. 

    My bad- read the wrong column. Cruze did 32K for the quarter, it's 110K YTD.
    Bolt sold 4K for the 3rd quarter, or 13% of the Cruze's volume.

    Edited by balthazar
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

    Bolt had it's best month this year in October, moving 2075 units. But it still trails the Volt by 1000 units on the year and 2000 is nothing to write home about. Cruze is doing about 37,000 units/month. Bolt is only "selling well" for an electric car, but it's selling very poorly for a small car. Cruze is rumored/supposedly going away, assumedly/supposedly for profitability reasons. Think on that one a bit.

    I think the thinking is that if the Volt is dead... those sales will probably go right to the Bolt. I could see that too. The Volt is at Detroit-Hamtramck which is getting the axe.. furthermore the Volt was up for a redo in 2020.. Who says that the Volt is really dead? It may just being renamed and reconfigured (FINALLY) to be a CUV  EV in line with the Bolt. AGAIN.. 

    GM-All-Electric-Path-To-Zero-Emissions.j

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Haven't written this much in a while on any forum..?

    Anyone notice that COROLLA sales are down 15%? Civic 28%? This is a real thing. Cars, at least in every segment outside of Sports and Mid are simply dying.. as one can get a categorized TALL-CAR for the same price with more room and similar fuel economy. This is not the days of U had to buy a compact to get great fuel economy.. no.. the CUVs are getting similar fuel economy to the cars. In other word this isn't a time anymore where it was a Cavalier vs a TrailBlazer.. the time now is a Cruze vs a Trax or Equinox

    • Like 1
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Trump says GM should repay U.S. taxpayers for bailout
    The bill: $11.2 billion in taxpayer money lost saving the company

    "The U.S. government lost $11.2 billion on its bailout of General Motors, according to a 2014 government report. The government invested about $50 billion to bail out GM as a result of the company's 2009 bankruptcy, and at one time held a 61 percent equity stake in the Detroit-based automaker.

    Treasury whittled down its GM stake through a series of stock sales starting in November 2010, with the remaining shares sold in December 2013 at a $11.2 billion loss."

    Autoblog

    Edited by ykX
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    12 minutes ago, ykX said:

    Trump says GM should repay U.S. taxpayers for bailout
    The bill: $11.2 billion in taxpayer money lost saving the company

    "The U.S. government lost $11.2 billion on its bailout of General Motors, according to a 2014 government report. The government invested about $50 billion to bail out GM as a result of the company's 2009 bankruptcy, and at one time held a 61 percent equity stake in the Detroit-based automaker.

    Treasury whittled down its GM stake through a series of stock sales starting in November 2010, with the remaining shares sold in December 2013 at a $11.2 billion loss."

    Autoblog

    So BASICALLY.. we should re-write the rules of the Stock market because the US Treasury didn't know when to get out or how long to stay in. Its sold its shares at the wrong time.. Bottom line. If I sell my shares of a company when its down.. I lose money.. if I wait and sell at the right time.. I make money. 

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites




    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • google-news-icon.png



  • google-news-icon.png

  • Subscribe to Cheers & Gears

    Cheers and Gears Logo

    Since 2001 we've brought you real content and honest opinions, not AI-generated stuff with no feeling or opinions influenced by the manufacturers.

    Please consider subscribing. Subscriptions can be as little as $1.75 a month, and a paid subscription drops most ads.*
     

    You can view subscription options here.

    *a very limited number of ads contain special coupon deals for our members and will show

  • Community Hive Community Hive

    Community Hive allows you to follow your favorite communities all in one place.

    Follow on Community Hive
  • Similar Content

  • Posts

    • I am surprised that GMC is making these owners buy their adapter, but then I guess if you can afford to pay $150,000 for an EV, you can afford the price of the adapter.  @Drew Dowdell Does GMC say what the cost of the adapter is?
    • GMC Hummer EV drivers can now charge their gargantuan EVs on Tesla Superchargers, according to an announcement on GMC's website. Enabling Supercharging requires an update to the myGMC app; however, users can use the Tesla app and register temporarily as a Rivian R1S until the app update completes. Drivers who expect to use the Tesla Superchargers network regularly may wish to sign up for a $12.99 subscription through the Tesla app, which grants a 10c/kWh discount.  With a 200 kWh battery, just two charges from 20% - 80% per month would cover the membership fee. The myGMC app will also allow owners to purchase an official NACS to CCS adaptor.  While third-party NACS to CCS adapters are available for purchase, they are not officially approved for use on Tesla's network. With this change, GMC says that Hummer EV drivers now have access to approximately 195,000 charge points across North America.  Most Tesla Superchargers are of the 250kw variety, and while not specified in GMC's announcement, we suspect that the Hummer EV is not eligible to charge on the 150kw chargers, much like the Ford EVs, which cite the same 15,000 number for eligible Superchargers.  Limited to 250kw charging speeds, Hummer EV drivers may wish to limit the use of Tesla stations to a last resort while traveling as they will not reach the full 350kw charging speeds their vehicle is capable of. GM has also partnered with Flying-J / Pilot to offer 350kw charging at truck stops nationwide and is a founding member of the new IONNA Network that will offer both CCS and NACS charging without an adaptor. There is no announcement yet on Tesla Supercharger Access for their other EVs.  Drivers can identify 250kw chargers by the black collar at the end of the charging cable. View full article
    • COST, Apartment owners are very stingy even here in Liberal PNW, there is city mandates now to get apartment owners to install chargers as renters are complaining. Yet up north by my area where I live around Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Edmonds and Mukilteo Apartment owners who have installed L2 chargers rarely have vacancy so yes, it is valuable I believe and of course the Tesla Supercharger stations are packed all the time. Workwise, Seattle has been very progressive in having building owners install chargers and I had at one time posted pictures of all the chargers at my work where 2 years ago, there were 4 and now there is 20 and still they are filled up, so demand is truly there, but resistance to change is still very hard among older folks. With GOP Trump having control of the Rural he has them sold on Toxic Diesel is the life and EVs need to die, so I doubt rural will get chargers without the Feds forcing the install and then we have to deal with the idiots cutting the cables or icing the chargers. I hope there is a future way to have the cables shock the idiots that attempt to cut the cables as it is just stupid.
    • That's hella ugly, but people will buy it because it says "off road"   Look at how it tackles that gravel road that a Nissan Sentra could easily navigate.
    • True, but some larger apartment complexes or parking garages could put in level 2 chargers, maybe even level 1 for places like an airport extended parking.  If people have their car sit 12 hours at their apartment, or 8 hours in a parking garage while at work, there is opportunity there also for charing without having to build out expensive super chargers. And really it is rural America that should be embracing EV's way more because there aren't many gas stations when you get into farm country, you might have to drive 30-40 minutes to find a gas station in some parts of rural America, but they have houses with electricity and can easily charge.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • My Clubs

×
×
  • Create New...

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search