Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Strike Adverted? GM and Unifor Reach A Tentative Agreement For CAMI

      Workers vote on it on Monday

    After a month-long strike and threat earlier this week, General Motors and Unifor Local 88 have reached an tentative agreement for workers at the CAMI assembly plant. Last night, Unifor Local 88 made the announcement via email to its workers. Details of the agreement are being kept under wraps until a ratification vote is held on Monday. If the agreement is approved, workers will return to the plant starting at 11 PM Monday night.

    "We have addressed job security which will be in this deal. I think it's a fair agreement  ... and everybody is looking forward to going back to work and making vehicles their customers want, knowing there will be some sort of job security there," said Mike Van Boekel, the union's plant chair at CAMI to CBC News.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CBC News

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    7 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Start the clock, GM will be looking to close this plant down and sell off the land in 10 years time if not sooner.

    10 years? Nope, this plant will be lucky to see the next gen of Nox...

    But, GM could change their mind....

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    11 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

    10 years? Nope, this plant will be lucky to see the next gen of Nox...

    But, GM could change their mind....

    Hope so, I hope 3-5 years at most before shutting it down.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    This was a warning shot from CAMI.  Next time GM will simply move production out and Ingersoll workers can go pound sand and kick rocks.  Nobody is entitled to a well-paying union job whatsoever.

    • Like 1
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 10/15/2017 at 12:00 AM, daves87rs said:

    10 years? Nope, this plant will be lucky to see the next gen of Nox...

    It's brand new though so a product cycle of close to 10 years is pretty possible.. But I agree that they'll be looking to GTFO of there. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    22 hours ago, riviera74 said:

    This was a warning shot from CAMI.  Next time GM will simply move production out and Ingersoll workers can go pound sand and kick rocks.  Nobody is entitled to a well-paying union job whatsoever.

    Think the biggest issue is that they need to change with the times. When you're not willing to give, that is quite the bad thing in this day and age GM at this point is showing they have a soul.

    They could easily ship the Nox to mexico for workers that will do it for a third of the price, and do it better as well...

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

    Think the biggest issue is that they need to change with the times. When you're not willing to give, that is quite the bad thing in this day and age GM at this point is showing they have a soul.

    They could easily ship the Nox to mexico for workers that will do it for a third of the price, and do it better as well...

    I dont think its as much as having a soul as it is about having an obligation.

    To the Canadian Government in helping them with the bailout.

    And to the Canadian peeps as it was their money that they got during the bailout...remember...Canadian dollars were also given to them and maybe GM feared a backlash of the Canadian peeps if they had shuttered this plant down this way...

    Canadians do buy a lot of 'Noxes...and Cruises...and Volts...and Camaros...

    Remember...'buy American' or 'Make America Great Again' does not have the same punch here...ESPECIALLY concerning the auto industry...ESPECIALLY when America's recent trade policies regarding soft lumber and Boeing's recent tactics concerning Canadair's C Series and with Trump's confusing NAFTA speeches...

    I think GM bit the bullet for another 4 years....prolonging the agony...as it might sting them less in 4 years to close the plant then had they decided to close the plant now...it would hurt our feelings more now then it will 4 years from now.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

    I dont think its as much as having a soul as it is about having an obligation.

    To the Canadian Government in helping them with the bailout.

    And to the Canadian peeps as it was their money that they got during the bailout...remember...Canadian dollars were also given to them and maybe GM feared a backlash of the Canadian peeps if they had shuttered this plant down this way...

    Canadians do buy a lot of 'Noxes...and Cruises...and Volts...and Camaros...

    Remember...'buy American' or 'Make America Great Again' does not have the same punch here...ESPECIALLY concerning the auto industry...ESPECIALLY when America's recent trade policies regarding soft lumber and Boeing's recent tactics concerning Canadair's C Series and with Trump's confusing NAFTA speeches...

    I think GM bit the bullet for another 4 years....prolonging the agony...as it might sting them less in 4 years to close the plant then had they decided to close the plant now...it would hurt our feelings more now then it will 4 years from now.

    And there is truth to that as well....

    In honesty, I'd like to see GM invest a bit more in canada, rather than mexico. (though still way better than china) I don't like to see people lose jobs....especially since I have seen it with my own family.

    But when Wall Street talks and shareholders squawk, only money talks....

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    21 hours ago, daves87rs said:

    And there is truth to that as well....

    In honesty, I'd like to see GM invest a bit more in canada, rather than mexico. (though still way better than china) I don't like to see people lose jobs....especially since I have seen it with my own family.

    But when Wall Street talks and shareholders squawk, only money talks....

    You know the old saying: money talks, BS walks.  The union did approve a 4-year contract to stay in Ingersoll.  I would say that GM will probably drop the plant after the terms are completed.

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Posts

    • Very cool that a second Lithium mine is coming online in Canada and will be sustainable with no diesel or gas emissions. Will use Hydro power for the site and extraction process. What does sustainable lithium mining look like? - Electrek Seems CEO Musk, AKA Failure Musk is again attempting to divert attention from his failure to stay focused on Tesla the Auto company as he plays with his new purchase Twitter more and talks about new auto's when he still has not delivered in full productions his electric Semi truck, Cybertruck or Roadster 2.0. Now he thinks he can build a better van for cargo and people moving. 🙄 Elon Musk suggests Tesla will make 'highly configurable Robovan' for people and cargo - Electrek
    • Leclanché Energy Storage Solutions of Switzerland has achieved a significant breakthrough in the safety of performance Lithium-ion batteries for use in EVs. Leclanché has taken current Lithium-ion cell production to the next step by adding a special fire-retardant additive to its electrolyte formula composition lowering the risk of thermal events by close to 80%. Verified by independent nail penetration tests has confirmed the companies claims of significantly lowering risk of thermal events with fire. The non-flammable electrolyte additive provides enhanced cell safety option for rail, truck, bus and auto EV markets. Intertek Germany, renowned third-party testing lab conducted a series of industry standard nail penetration tests on Leclanché  60 Ah cells. During this test with the cells punctured and the resulting internal short circuit, these cells exhibited a far lower risk of fire than the same cells without the fire-retardant additives. Risk of fire to passengers onboard and expensive lithium-ion battery recalls causing disruptions, world leading energy storage solutions company Leclanché is leading the global markets in reducing these risks that auto makers have to take on to build and sell EV solutions. To quote Leclanché: “While the entire battery industry continues to place considerable R&D resources into the development of solid-state batteries, there’s a critical need to enhance the safety of today’s high energy density lithium-ion cell technology. Most efforts, until now, adversely impact the performance or longevity of cells. Leclanché has been able to develop a high performance and high energy density lithium-ion cell exhibiting high safety characteristics without any negative impact on performance or longevity. As technological advancements continue to be developed, this is a crucial improvement in state of the art cell technology, that does not require breakthrough technology that could still be several years away from commercial availability” said Pierre Blanc, chief technology officer, Leclanché. Leclanché Willstatt Germany production facility that has built Lithium-ion cells based on their water-based process for the last 10 years will be the site for production of these new fire-resistant cells with availability starting Q1 2023 to OEMs. Quote:  According to Anil Srivastava, CEO, Leclanché, “Our breakthrough should encourage manufacturers waiting on the side-lines for next generation solid-state batteries to move forward with their advanced fleet vehicle designs today – safe lithium-ion batteries have arrived and Leclanché has them.” View full article
    • Wow, this sucks for Europe. Anti-speeding tech and 'black box' now mandatory in new EU cars (msn.com)
    • You missed the bigger point which was your bar moving yet again. You went one way and as soon as you were presented with a factual counter, you moved the bar and upped the number without regard to geography. I would be more mad that the new kid on the luxury block is getting noticed as much as the Germans as of late, but hey, I'm not the one looking for constant one brand validation just because I happen to own the brand in question.
    • Very cool about Rivian ramping up production. Electric truck maker Rivian's stock surges as deliveries triple (nypost.com)
  • Social Stream

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. GreggCarnes
      GreggCarnes
      (28 years old)
    2. Observing and Reporting
      Observing and Reporting
      (47 years old)
  • Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...