Jump to content
  • Drew Dowdell
    Drew Dowdell

    Honda Civic Hatch and Type-R Production Heading to the North America

      Move consolidates all Civic production for North American in North America

    Last week we reported that Honda would be closing their UK manufacturing plant in Swindon.  That plant produces Honda Civics and CR-Vs mostly for the European market.  However, in addition to European production, the Swindon plant also produces the Civic Hatchback and Civic Type-R for North America. Production in Swindon is to finish out the model run into 2021.

    Automotive News reports that Honda CEO Takahir Hachigo said "Given out efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity on a global scale, we have concluded that we will produce the Civic for North America in North America." The North American sourced Honda Civic is built in Alliston, Ontario and Greensburgh Indiana. 

    The Honda Civic hatchback makes up about one third of Civic's 325,760 US sales for 2018.

    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    This is good news as long as car sales last for Honda, though I think they will continue to reduce down as CUV/SUV sales take over and with the move to EVs, I can see Cars becoming a very minor sale item as people want the all activity vehicle that EV will allow  I think.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, dfelt said:

    This is good news as long as car sales last for Honda, though I think they will continue to reduce down as CUV/SUV sales take over and with the move to EVs, I can see Cars becoming a very minor sale item as people want the all activity vehicle that EV will allow  I think.

    Yeah. Civic sales were down 13.9% last year.  I'm surprised though that 1/3 of them were hatchbacks. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    55 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Yeah. Civic sales were down 13.9% last year.  I'm surprised though that 1/3 of them were hatchbacks. 

    So long as they keep the Type R.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    So long as they keep the Type R.

    Type-R is usually delayed by a year after the new model comes out, so there may be a gap. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Type-R is usually delayed by a year after the new model comes out, so there may be a gap. 

    That's OK...I just don't want to loose small performance oriented cars.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 2/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

    Yeah. Civic sales were down 13.9% last year.  I'm surprised though that 1/3 of them were hatchbacks. 

    considering how ass ugly the hatch is, yes 1/3 is surprising.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The hatch version definitely stands out..a buddy of mine in Colorado replaced his problem-plagued Mini Cooper w/ a Civic Si a couple years ago---gray hatchback w/ red trim..he loves it. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

    The hatch version definitely stands out..a buddy of mine in Colorado replaced his problem-plagued Mini Cooper w/ a Civic Si a couple years ago---gray hatchback w/ red trim..he loves it. 

    it'll probably run forever since they have no rust out there.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...