• Honda Teases Us with the 2018 Accord


    • The stalwart Honda Accord is getting a whole new body.


    2018 is setting up to be an interesting year. Like a rare celestial event, the two biggest players in one of the largest segments will both be releasing all new versions of their mid-size sedans.

    Toyota has already shown the all-new 2018 Toyota Camry earlier this year at the Detroit Auto Show, and on July 14th it is Honda's turn with the 10th Generation Accord.

    Earlier this month we wrote that the 2018 Honda Accord will no longer offer a V6, instead opting for two turbo-direct-injected engines in 1.5T and 2.0T configurations or a next-generation two-motor Hybrid.  Three transmissions will be available depending on engine; a 10-speed automatic, a CVT, or a 6-speed manual.  Performance specifics will be shared during the live event.

    In the concept teaser image shared by Honda, we can see the latest face of Honda under a muscular looking and long hood. Honda promises that the 2018 Accord will be the most dramatically styled Accord ever. (not a high bar to cross - DD) While Toyota takes the overall sales crown in the midsize segment, Honda is quick to point out that the Accord enjoys higher retail sales, which is a gentle jab at Toyota for increasing fleet sales.

    It's rare that we get to see two such heavyweights fight it out with brand new models released in the same model year, with additional competition coming from the redesigned 2018 Hyundai Sonata, and Nissan likely following the year after with the Altima, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

    We will have more information posted on July 14th during the live reveal in Detroit.

    Honda press release on page 2

    2018_Honda_Accord_Concept_Sketch.jpg

    SourceHonda Media, Picture courtesy of Honda America.


    World Debut of Dramatically-styled 10th Generation Honda Accord Set for July 14

     
     - TORRANCE, Calif.
    • Live in Detroit and via Livestream on YouTube at 11:00 a.m. EDT
    • Concept sketch reveals dramatic new styling direction
    • America's best-selling (retail) midsize sedan gets complete remake from ground-up

    Honda today released a concept sketch highlighting the aggressive stance and proportion of the all-new 2018 Honda Accord that will make its global debut in Detroit and via YouTube Livestream (honda.us/2018AccordReveal) on July 14, at 11:00 a.m. EDT. The all-new Accord – the most fun-to-drive, premium and dramatically styled Accord ever – is the 10th generation of America's best-selling midsize sedan, the number one choice of individual American car buyers cumulatively since 20101.

    Earlier this month, the company announced plans for a new Accord that will feature three powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains, including two new direct-injected and turbocharged engines paired with either a new Honda-developed 10-speed automatic transmission, CVT or a 6-speed manual transmission depending upon engine, as well as the next-generation of Honda's two-motor hybrid powertrain technology. Honda will share additional details of its powertrain performance, along with the new design and technology at the event.

    A perennial best-seller with American car buyers, the Accord has been the U.S. retail sales leader in the midsize sedan segment for four straight years (2013-2016). For the first five months of 2017, based on retail sales to individual buyers, Accord is the top selling midsize sedan in America and the second best-selling passenger car overall, surpassed only by the new Honda Civic2. Accord also is an unprecedented 31-time recipient of Car and Driver magazine's coveted 10Best award.

    Since its launch in 1976, American car buyers have purchased more than 13 million Accords. It was the first vehicle from a Japanese automaker to be made in America and has been in continuous production at Honda's Marysville, Ohio auto plant since November 1982. Cumulative U.S. production of Accord now exceeds 11 million units over 35 years of U.S. manufacturing3.

    About Honda

    Honda offers a full line of reliable, fuel-efficient and fun-to-drive vehicles with advanced safety technologies sold through over 1,000 independent U.S. Honda dealers. The Honda lineup includes the Fit, Civic, Accord and Clarity series passenger cars, along with the HR-V, CR-V and Pilot sport/utility vehicles, the Ridgeline pickup and the Odyssey minivan.

    Honda has been producing automobiles in America for 35 years and currently operates 19 major manufacturing facilities in North America. In 2016, more than 95% of all Honda and Acura vehicles sold in the U.S. were made in North America, using domestic and globally sourced parts.

    1. Based on Urban Science cumulative retail sales data for all car models in the industry for 2010-2017CYTD May.2. Based on Urban Science retail sales data in the Midsize car segment for 2013-2017CYTD May. 3. Manufactured in the U.S. using domestic and globally-sourced parts.



      Report Article


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    Of the two I might well prefer the Camry...but we will see when the new Accord comes out.

    The fact that I can get the 3.5 V6 paired with an 8-speed in the Camry would cinch that decision for me.  Toyota's V6es perform far better than their numbers suggest they should. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    The fact that I can get the 3.5 V6 paired with an 8-speed in the Camry would cinch that decision for me.  Toyota's V6es perform far better than their numbers suggest they should. 

    I have heard a lot of good things about the upcoming Camry. Glad to know you don't think I am insane for preferring the Camry over the Accord.

    ...and it is a real shame about the V-6 being gone from the Accord for Honda. My son has an Acura TL with the V6....really a decent car, but the interior materials would make a 90's Olds Cutlass blush with embarrassment.

    Edited by A Horse With No Name

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Haven't warmed up to the new Camry front end yet.. Expecting this Accord to look like a bigger Civic up front but time will tell.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, frogger said:

    Haven't warmed up to the new Camry front end yet.. Expecting this Accord to look like a bigger Civic up front but time will tell.

     

    For me it is more a philosophical thing. Honda still builds really nice cars, but I feel like they are making a second best effort.  With the new RAV 4, the new Camry, the Prius, the Tacoma, and the 86, I feel like Toyota is trying to bring its A game.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, frogger said:

    Haven't warmed up to the new Camry front end yet.. Expecting this Accord to look like a bigger Civic up front but time will tell.

     

    I"m hoping they keep the longer looking hood

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    For me it is more a philosophical thing. Honda still builds really nice cars, but I feel like they are making a second best effort.  With the new RAV 4, the new Camry, the Prius, the Tacoma, and the 86, I feel like Toyota is trying to bring its A game.

    Maybe all of Honda's A-game efforts wen to Acura. . . . .

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    For me it is more a philosophical thing. Honda still builds really nice cars, but I feel like they are making a second best effort.  With the new RAV 4, the new Camry, the Prius, the Tacoma, and the 86, I feel like Toyota is trying to bring its A game.

    IMO Fit, Civic, HRV, CRV,Pilot > Yaris, Corolla,CHR,RAV4,Highlander

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    C/D has a writeup on the new FUGLY Camry......but at least that will have a v6 choice....... the new camry interior is not bad too.  Is Honda shooting themselves in the foot

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, regfootball said:

    C/D has a writeup on the new FUGLY Camry......but at least that will have a v6 choice....... the new camry interior is not bad too.  Is Honda shooting themselves in the foot

    Not sure if Honda is shooting itself in the foot...

    Do not mind the Camry so much myself...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    As an aside, looking at photos of the new Camry, the basic shape is decent, but there are some weird details...the higher trim versions have those weird Lexus-like chrome 'tears' angling downward from the taillights, and why are their black (plastic?) trim pieces on each side of the rear window?   The overall shape is pleasant enough but the detailing is overwrought, IMO...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 6/23/2017 at 8:03 AM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    As an aside, looking at photos of the new Camry, the basic shape is decent, but there are some weird details...the higher trim versions have those weird Lexus-like chrome 'tears' angling downward from the taillights, and why are their black (plastic?) trim pieces on each side of the rear window?   The overall shape is pleasant enough but the detailing is overwrought, IMO...

    Agree... although I still like it...

    5 hours ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

    New camry looks bad, new Accord is promising. 

    I am more at peace that the Continental but I still find it overly soft and feminine in the design language...just like the Accord.

    Thankfully I never have to buy either one.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 6/19/2017 at 3:35 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

    I have heard a lot of good things about the upcoming Camry. Glad to know you don't think I am insane for preferring the Camry over the Accord.

    ...and it is a real shame about the V-6 being gone from the Accord for Honda. My son has an Acura TL with the V6....really a decent car, but the interior materials would make a 90's Olds Cutlass blush with embarrassment.

    Yes. The TL.. a friend of mine picked me up for breakfast yesterday in her 2015 TL. The interior was, again, way less luxo than my Impala's. I am not talking about my '14... I'm talkin about my '66..  2n83frs.jpg. No seriously. the interior was effin plasticky and cheap on a level that I wouldn't expect in a Honda.. let alone their luxury brand

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Honda is one of the OEMs that is stuck in the past by about 20+ years. Sad in this day that a company with so many solid products is light years behind the competition.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Honda is one of the OEMs that is stuck in the past by about 20+ years. Sad in this day that a company with so many solid products is light years behind the competition.

    Agree. The new Civic actually a nice car.. my runner up to the Cruze.. but its styling... makes me think of Mad Max Road Warrior

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    Yes. The TL.. a friend of mine picked me up for breakfast yesterday in her 2015 TL. The interior was, again, way less luxo than my Impala's. I am not talking about my '14... I'm talkin about my '66..  2n83frs.jpg. No seriously. the interior was effin plasticky and cheap on a level that I wouldn't expect in a Honda.. let alone their luxury brand

    GM was ahead of the 2017 Honda products with their interiors in the 1950's.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    40 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    GM was ahead of the 2017 Honda products with their interiors in the 1950's.

    I agree.. This is the interior of a 55 my friend/neighbor just picked up a few months ago. Look a the detail in the dash and U will see Chevy Bowties in the silver portion 

     

    20170517_160704.jpg

    20170517_160914.jpg

    20170517_161349.jpg

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    36 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    I agree.. This is the interior of a 55 my friend/neighbor just picked up a few months ago. Look a the detail in the dash and U will see Chevy Bowties in the silver portion 

     

    20170517_160704.jpg

    20170517_160914.jpg

    20170517_161349.jpg

    I used to own a 55 Chevrolet two door post myself...Honda in their entire history has never built anything like this, nor will they ever.

     

    Love that color of Blue BTW....

    Edited by A Horse With No Name
    spelling

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.