Increasing Pickup Truck Prices Are Leaving Average Buyers Out

All of those luxury touches are causing prices to climb

Prices on new pickup trucks have been steadily increasing as more people are choosing them as their family vehicle and in turn are wanting more luxury features. But this rise in prices has been making it harder for the average buyer to afford one.

Data from Edmunds shows through September, the average transaction price for a full-size pickup is $48,377; a 48 percent increase when compared to 10 years ago and 19 percent increased when compared to 2013.

"A 48-percent increase in price is the highest price increase for that time period out of all vehicle categories. Even at $45,000, it prices a lot of people out," said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds to the Detroit Free Press.

"There are consumers who can afford the bare bones basic vehicles at $30,000, but once you're shown an option like a ventilated seat versus a cloth seat and it's 90 degrees outside, it becomes a very compelling argument to say yes. Ten years ago, comfort packages weren't offered on trucks. People are saying, 'I want those even if those vehicles are used to haul mulch.' "

A very telling sign that truck prices are beginning to push people out is the massive difference between the expected and the actually average transactional price. Cox Automotive reports that buyers of a full-size pickup expected to pay an average of $38,529 through the month August. The actual average transaction price through August was $47,987 according to Cox.

Also seeing a rise is the average income of truck buyers. Alexander Edwards, president of consultancy Strategic Vision tells the Free Press  that the median household income of a truck buyer has risen form $76,660 in 2009 to $100,305 in 2018. More telling is that the truck buyer has a higher income than a car buyer ($95,355).

Some are beginning to worry that pickup trucks are becoming a bit too expensive.

"In 1988, I sold my first pickup at $20,000 and I thought, 'Man, who could ever afford this?' Now, they're $60,000, $70,000, $80,000. ... I'm not sure everybody wants all that technology, but we're adding all of it. We're actually in the luxury business at those prices," said Charlie Gilchrist, owner of Gilchrist Automotive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

A survey done by CarGurus correlates Gilchrist's view. Asking 203 current pickup owners from their user panel, CarGurus reports that owners would call paying $35,000 on a truck a good deal. But increase it to the average price of $45,200 and its too much. Respondents also said they would be willing to give up such features as a automatic open-close tailgate and Wi-Fi hotspot for a lower price.

“This survey showed that pickup truck owners believe some of the new technology is nice to have, but not essential and not worth the price. We’re at an interesting time in the pickup truck category where many people are using their pickup trucks for more than just work. Those looking for a truck purely for work purposes don’t need all of the new luxury features, and those looking for a truck for commuting or leisure don’t need all of the new work features,” said Madison Gross, CarGurus' senior manager of customer insights.

Source: Detroit Free Press

33 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I can really see this. Lotta coin for the new trucks!

So true, the majority of truck buyers do not need or want all the bells and whistles. Yet the dealerships order them this way and as such you end up with Truck Envy and Luxury truck over a practical daily driving truck. Prices need to drop by half.

Considering that in 1956 a new F series Ford was the equal of something like 16 grand in todays coin...yes.

That being said....the product. OMG.  Colorado or Canyon with a mild lift would look so damned good in my driveway!

Would take a Silverado or Ram also.

Especially a Cummins dually....yeah!

48% price increase in 10 years is crazy.  But this is where leases and 8 year car loans come in.  New car dealerships sell monthly payments, not vehicle prices.   The higher the prices go, the longer the loan terms get, and you'll see the auto manufacture finance arms offering 10 year car loans one day.  Which sounds like a recipe for disaster for consumers but people will sign up for it.

Edited by smk4565

Full size pickups have become the modern BOF full size family sedan..available in a variety of trim levels, with a variety of trunk sizes.:)    And full size SUVs are the BOF full size wagons of today (they need the fake woodgrain side trim option, IMO).

One bit of random related weirdness--on eBay today I'm seeing an ad for the new Ram..in Spanish.   Deja Tus Limites Atras..La Nueva Ram 1500.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Would take a Silverado or Ram also.

Especially a Cummins dually....yeah!

So you would be happy with this in your Driveway!

See the source image

Stereotypical "Bro" wheels look like trash.

How about Blackout edition?

See the source image

Course I have mixed feelings on adding more fender flares like they did on this.

See the source image

Chevy has nice flares but Meh nose for me.

See the source image

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Double Cab, with only two options:

5.3L V8

Spray-in bedliner

$42,885 (this pricing is according to the NADA website)

I would order mine just like this, it already comes with a good amount of kit... but I would need about $8000 in incentives/discounts.

GM Accessories catalog has part numbers for a remote start kit (necessary for me since I would need to park it outside my garage) and a foglight kit, I would have those installed by the dealer at time of sale.

Edited by ocnblu

A '19 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/ Hemi, brown w/ two tone brown/beige leather buckets, UConnect w/ nav, CD player, 20 inch wheels came out to over $53k.  Alas, it wouldn't fit in my garage, so at the price range I'd go for a Grand Cherokee..

31 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Double Cab, with only two options:

5.3L V8

Spray-in bedliner

$42,885

I could see you rocking this.

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would rather have the diesel.

How about Blackout edition?

See the source image

See the source image

Chevy has nice flares but Meh nose for me.

See the source image

Those are all much better! I cannot stand that 95% of aftermarket wheels on trucks and Wranglers are black with silver machined holes and fake bead locks.

I miss my 1969 Ford Camper Special Pickup. It was an awesome truck that just always ran and never gave me any problems. Yet career took off and I had to move out of state, so extra auto's were sold.

14 hours ago, riviera74 said:

. . . . . . .  and you wonder why the Colorado/Canyon and other midsize trucks sell so well.

They are a damned nice product. I park near a white one every day at work....it is really a nice truck. Very impressed, and I am pretty jaded from an automotive/truck point of view.

That Era of Ford gets nothing but love from me. I have a friend who has an early 70's Camper special. Red and white.  He lives in California.....it's rust free and has a 460. He keeps threatening to sell it. If I didn't have a wood shop in my garage, I could see that truck finding a very loving home in Ohio....living a life of luxury under a car cover.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Cool...the '67-72 'bump side' and '73-79 'dent side' Ford F-series were great looking trucks, have a lot of charm, IMO..

• I find first hand experience and facts more helpful than ignorance and unwarranted hysteria.  https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-driver-details-survived-14-132951082.html
    • Latest News MADE IN MICHIGAN - GM Proud Investing $7 Billion in Manufacturing Mary Barra was excited to share the news of a $7 Billion Investment in the great state of Michigan as GM will retain 1,000 existing employees and create 4,000 new jobs. ---> Read More Desert-Racing, Rock-Crawling, Street-Legal 2022 FORD BRONCO RAPTOR is HERE Today Ford Motor Company released the most powerful street-legal Bronco ever, 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor. Check out the details and pictures. ---> Read More Something EXCITING Is Coming From Cadillac January 21, 2022 The Latest Excitement from Cadillac is to be unveiled on Friday January 21st, 2022. ---> Read More GM Next Gen Ultra Cruise to enable Door-to-Door Hands-Free Driving with New Compute Architecture GM's multi-cultural global engineering team with American Semiconductor company Qualcomm Technologies to usher in the next generation of Ultra Cruise with robust door-to-door hands-free driving in 95 percent of all driving scenarios. ---> Read More Consumer Reports Reliable Electric Vehicle Insights 2022 Consumer reports has released their latest reliable electric vehicle report. This report can be taken in many ways, but the data is great info for all auto companies as they make the move to EVs. ---> Read More Tesla CyberTruck 2021 Productions, Nope, 2022, Nope, now 2023 MAYBE????? Tesla Cybertruck that has been talked about as a crucial auto for their portfolio is delayed again as the legacy OEMs close in on shipping trucks behind Rivian who is building and delivering them now. Will they make it? ---> Read More VINFAST the Newest BEV Auto Maker from Vietnam! January 5th 2022 VinFast Automotive company from Vietnam introduced their global BEV Portfolio and anounced Factories in the U.S. and Germany. Is this the next HOT BEV company? ---> Read More Latest Reviews Quick Drive: 2021 Mazda CX-30 Premium AWD A premium subcompact crossover? ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8 and 2021 V90 T6 Two Ways to Carry People and their Stuff By Volvo ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Lexus NX 300h & UX 250h Lexus' Hybrid Theory of Crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Hyundai Venue SEL & Palisade Limited AWD Looking at the smallest and largest Hyundai crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota 4Runner Venture Edition and Land Cruiser Heritage Edition Driving around in Toyota's old school SUVs ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • It Took 13 Years, But The Dodge Challenger Has Finally Won (jalopnik.com) In 2015 Ford Mustang hit it peak followed by the Chevrolet Camaro and every year since has dropped in sales. 2015 was also the year that Ford released the current Mustang that is still selling 7 years later. 2015 Ford Mustang sold 122,349 to 66,377 Challengers. 2021 Sales Ford Mustang 52,414 Chevrolet Camaro 21,893 Dodge Challenger 54,314
    • It is.  And some stupid people are insufferable.  The "don't know how much they don't know" crowd can be more hostile and more argumentative because they don't have facts.  They don't want dialogue that involves exchanging information. We have an example of similar idiocy in my very family.  One uncle came over from Europe to visit us on the West Coast.  He is/was the biggest douche bag of the many siblings on one parental side.  When he got to California, he stated what he wanted to see and said that he wanted to see Niagara Falls.  That meant he had no concept of scale.  I told him that that was like going from Lisbon to Eastern Europe. My parents also picked up the tab for him, and his wife, to fly to the Pacific Northwest and to San Francisco during this trip.  He was a pill on both trips.  He wanted to see one of the bridges, so I took the rental car with all of us onto the Bay Bridge because it was cheaper.  He went ballistic.  First, you don't just "ascend" onto the bridge deck.  You have to find the on-ramps in S.F.  Then, when you get to the other side, you're in Oakland.  I didn't get off the freeway because I didn't know and didn't want to experiment with Oakland.  So I went further out to a nicer suburb with a full interchange to drive us back to the city.  During this prolongation, he kept yelling. Of the countries in Europe I keep up with, I knew Portugal leads in vaccination efforts.  That's impressive for a smaller and not particularly rich European country.  Spain (which I don't see on this graphic) would be behind them, and ahead of Italy and France.  France has seen their own "don't tread on me" demonstrations in their streets. It's not.  But some people make us shake our heads. On my homepage were some links about some guy named Doug Kuzma.  It turns out he has/had a podcast where he touted the typical packaging of the anti-vax crowd.  His platform was called FROG network.  I thought that maybe he liked amphibians ... or was poking fun at the French.  FROG means "Fully Rely On God."  A person from this group posted that Doug needed "heavy, heavy" prayers.  He was only 61 and now on a ventilator, unconscious.  The first thing that came to mind was the adage that "God helps those who helps themselves."  He was pushing those drugs we've heard about that start with "i" and "hydro" as an alternative to the vaccine.  If you heard this guy, I doubt his critical thinking skills in the realms of science and practical topics were that developed.  A few days later, I found out he didn't make it. You just shrug.
    • This is the source I referenced the first time, in case anyone wanted to see : https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/vaccination-rollout-and-access/ No vested interest, not promoting it, not saying it's the best, just posting a source. - - - - - It's actually Gibraltar who is apparently "leading the world" (whatever that outmoded concept may mean). They have a population of 33,675 and the BBC puts them at the top of the list with "121%" fully vaccinated".  Or - assuming there's something amiss with a percentage over 100 - it's Pitcairn, whom 100% of it's [67] people are vaccinated. If anyone thinks telling someone who doesn't want to get the vaccine that -say- 'Cuba had a higher rate than the U.S.' is going to do jack squat; boy are they going to be disappointed.