Create New...

Increasing Pickup Truck Prices Are Leaving Average Buyers Out

All of those luxury touches are causing prices to climb

Prices on new pickup trucks have been steadily increasing as more people are choosing them as their family vehicle and in turn are wanting more luxury features. But this rise in prices has been making it harder for the average buyer to afford one.

Data from Edmunds shows through September, the average transaction price for a full-size pickup is $48,377; a 48 percent increase when compared to 10 years ago and 19 percent increased when compared to 2013.

"A 48-percent increase in price is the highest price increase for that time period out of all vehicle categories. Even at $45,000, it prices a lot of people out," said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds to the Detroit Free Press.

"There are consumers who can afford the bare bones basic vehicles at $30,000, but once you're shown an option like a ventilated seat versus a cloth seat and it's 90 degrees outside, it becomes a very compelling argument to say yes. Ten years ago, comfort packages weren't offered on trucks. People are saying, 'I want those even if those vehicles are used to haul mulch.' "

A very telling sign that truck prices are beginning to push people out is the massive difference between the expected and the actually average transactional price. Cox Automotive reports that buyers of a full-size pickup expected to pay an average of $38,529 through the month August. The actual average transaction price through August was $47,987 according to Cox.

Also seeing a rise is the average income of truck buyers. Alexander Edwards, president of consultancy Strategic Vision tells the Free Press  that the median household income of a truck buyer has risen form $76,660 in 2009 to $100,305 in 2018. More telling is that the truck buyer has a higher income than a car buyer ($95,355).

Some are beginning to worry that pickup trucks are becoming a bit too expensive.

"In 1988, I sold my first pickup at $20,000 and I thought, 'Man, who could ever afford this?' Now, they're $60,000, $70,000, $80,000. ... I'm not sure everybody wants all that technology, but we're adding all of it. We're actually in the luxury business at those prices," said Charlie Gilchrist, owner of Gilchrist Automotive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

A survey done by CarGurus correlates Gilchrist's view. Asking 203 current pickup owners from their user panel, CarGurus reports that owners would call paying $35,000 on a truck a good deal. But increase it to the average price of $45,200 and its too much. Respondents also said they would be willing to give up such features as a automatic open-close tailgate and Wi-Fi hotspot for a lower price.

“This survey showed that pickup truck owners believe some of the new technology is nice to have, but not essential and not worth the price. We’re at an interesting time in the pickup truck category where many people are using their pickup trucks for more than just work. Those looking for a truck purely for work purposes don’t need all of the new luxury features, and those looking for a truck for commuting or leisure don’t need all of the new work features,” said Madison Gross, CarGurus' senior manager of customer insights.

Source: Detroit Free Press

33 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I can really see this. Lotta coin for the new trucks!

So true, the majority of truck buyers do not need or want all the bells and whistles. Yet the dealerships order them this way and as such you end up with Truck Envy and Luxury truck over a practical daily driving truck. Prices need to drop by half.

• Agree 1

Considering that in 1956 a new F series Ford was the equal of something like 16 grand in todays coin...yes.

That being said....the product. OMG.  Colorado or Canyon with a mild lift would look so damned good in my driveway!

Would take a Silverado or Ram also.

Especially a Cummins dually....yeah!

48% price increase in 10 years is crazy.  But this is where leases and 8 year car loans come in.  New car dealerships sell monthly payments, not vehicle prices.   The higher the prices go, the longer the loan terms get, and you'll see the auto manufacture finance arms offering 10 year car loans one day.  Which sounds like a recipe for disaster for consumers but people will sign up for it.

Edited by smk4565

Full size pickups have become the modern BOF full size family sedan..available in a variety of trim levels, with a variety of trunk sizes.:)    And full size SUVs are the BOF full size wagons of today (they need the fake woodgrain side trim option, IMO).

One bit of random related weirdness--on eBay today I'm seeing an ad for the new Ram..in Spanish.   Deja Tus Limites Atras..La Nueva Ram 1500.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
    • Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Would take a Silverado or Ram also.

Especially a Cummins dually....yeah!

So you would be happy with this in your Driveway!

See the source image

Stereotypical "Bro" wheels look like trash.

How about Blackout edition?

See the source image

Course I have mixed feelings on adding more fender flares like they did on this.

See the source image

Chevy has nice flares but Meh nose for me.

See the source image

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Double Cab, with only two options:

5.3L V8

Spray-in bedliner

$42,885 (this pricing is according to the NADA website)

I would order mine just like this, it already comes with a good amount of kit... but I would need about $8000 in incentives/discounts.

GM Accessories catalog has part numbers for a remote start kit (necessary for me since I would need to park it outside my garage) and a foglight kit, I would have those installed by the dealer at time of sale.

Edited by ocnblu
    • Agree 3

A '19 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 w/ Hemi, brown w/ two tone brown/beige leather buckets, UConnect w/ nav, CD player, 20 inch wheels came out to over $53k.  Alas, it wouldn't fit in my garage, so at the price range I'd go for a Grand Cherokee..

31 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

2019 Chevrolet Silverado Custom Trail Boss Double Cab, with only two options:

5.3L V8

Spray-in bedliner

$42,885

I could see you rocking this.

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would rather have the diesel.

How about Blackout edition?

See the source image

See the source image

Chevy has nice flares but Meh nose for me.

See the source image

Those are all much better! I cannot stand that 95% of aftermarket wheels on trucks and Wranglers are black with silver machined holes and fake bead locks.

I miss my 1969 Ford Camper Special Pickup. It was an awesome truck that just always ran and never gave me any problems. Yet career took off and I had to move out of state, so extra auto's were sold.

14 hours ago, riviera74 said:

. . . . . . .  and you wonder why the Colorado/Canyon and other midsize trucks sell so well.

They are a damned nice product. I park near a white one every day at work....it is really a nice truck. Very impressed, and I am pretty jaded from an automotive/truck point of view.

That Era of Ford gets nothing but love from me. I have a friend who has an early 70's Camper special. Red and white.  He lives in California.....it's rust free and has a 460. He keeps threatening to sell it. If I didn't have a wood shop in my garage, I could see that truck finding a very loving home in Ohio....living a life of luxury under a car cover.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Cool...the '67-72 'bump side' and '73-79 'dent side' Ford F-series were great looking trucks, have a lot of charm, IMO..

• google-news-icon.png

• google-news-icon.png

Cheers and Gears Logo

Since 2001 we've brought you real content and honest opinions, not AI-generated stuff with no feeling or opinions influenced by the manufacturers.

Please consider subscribing. Subscriptions can be as little as $1.75 a month, and a paid subscription drops most ads.*

You can view subscription options here.

*a very limited number of ads contain special coupon deals for our members and will show

• Community Hive Community Hive

Community Hive allows you to follow your favorite communities all in one place.

Follow on Community Hive

• I am surprised that GMC is making these owners buy their adapter, but then I guess if you can afford to pay $150,000 for an EV, you can afford the price of the adapter.  @Drew Dowdell Does GMC say what the cost of the adapter is?
    • GMC Hummer EV drivers can now charge their gargantuan EVs on Tesla Superchargers, according to an announcement on GMC's website. Enabling Supercharging requires an update to the myGMC app; however, users can use the Tesla app and register temporarily as a Rivian R1S until the app update completes. Drivers who expect to use the Tesla Superchargers network regularly may wish to sign up for a $12.99 subscription through the Tesla app, which grants a 10c/kWh discount.  With a 200 kWh battery, just two charges from 20% - 80% per month would cover the membership fee. The myGMC app will also allow owners to purchase an official NACS to CCS adaptor.  While third-party NACS to CCS adapters are available for purchase, they are not officially approved for use on Tesla's network. With this change, GMC says that Hummer EV drivers now have access to approximately 195,000 charge points across North America.  Most Tesla Superchargers are of the 250kw variety, and while not specified in GMC's announcement, we suspect that the Hummer EV is not eligible to charge on the 150kw chargers, much like the Ford EVs, which cite the same 15,000 number for eligible Superchargers.  Limited to 250kw charging speeds, Hummer EV drivers may wish to limit the use of Tesla stations to a last resort while traveling as they will not reach the full 350kw charging speeds their vehicle is capable of. GM has also partnered with Flying-J / Pilot to offer 350kw charging at truck stops nationwide and is a founding member of the new IONNA Network that will offer both CCS and NACS charging without an adaptor. There is no announcement yet on Tesla Supercharger Access for their other EVs.  Drivers can identify 250kw chargers by the black collar at the end of the charging cable. View full article
    • COST, Apartment owners are very stingy even here in Liberal PNW, there is city mandates now to get apartment owners to install chargers as renters are complaining. Yet up north by my area where I live around Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Edmonds and Mukilteo Apartment owners who have installed L2 chargers rarely have vacancy so yes, it is valuable I believe and of course the Tesla Supercharger stations are packed all the time. Workwise, Seattle has been very progressive in having building owners install chargers and I had at one time posted pictures of all the chargers at my work where 2 years ago, there were 4 and now there is 20 and still they are filled up, so demand is truly there, but resistance to change is still very hard among older folks. With GOP Trump having control of the Rural he has them sold on Toxic Diesel is the life and EVs need to die, so I doubt rural will get chargers without the Feds forcing the install and then we have to deal with the idiots cutting the cables or icing the chargers. I hope there is a future way to have the cables shock the idiots that attempt to cut the cables as it is just stupid.
    • That's hella ugly, but people will buy it because it says "off road"   Look at how it tackles that gravel road that a Nissan Sentra could easily navigate.
    • True, but some larger apartment complexes or parking garages could put in level 2 chargers, maybe even level 1 for places like an airport extended parking.  If people have their car sit 12 hours at their apartment, or 8 hours in a parking garage while at work, there is opportunity there also for charing without having to build out expensive super chargers. And really it is rural America that should be embracing EV's way more because there aren't many gas stations when you get into farm country, you might have to drive 30-40 minutes to find a gas station in some parts of rural America, but they have houses with electricity and can easily charge.

• There are no registered users currently online

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search