Mercedez Benz News Mercedes X-Class to be Xed Out

The Best or Nothing.... Or A Nissan.  Almost exactly two years ago we showed you pictures and a report of the forthcoming Mercedes-Benz X-Class. Now unnamed sources have told Germany's Automobilwoche (Automobile Week) that Mercedes' recent profit warning and a board review of the portfolio have caused the company to put the X-Class on the chopping block.

The X-Class is based in the Nissan Navara with some upgrades to the suspension and a Mercedes-esque interior.  Much of the interior bits are straight from the Mercedes parts bin. The X-Class starts at about $41,000 in base trim and goes up to about $66,000 in top trim, quite a lot of coin for a small pickup.

Pricing wasn't the only factor limiting sales.  The X-Class was never offered in the biggest truck market, the U.S., instead it was only sold in Europe, Australia, and South Africa.  In those three markets, the company moved only 16,700 units last year.  The X-Class is built at Nissan's plant in Barcelona, Spain where the Nissan Navara and Renault Alaskan are built.

Mercedes backed out of plans to build the X-Class for South American markets in Argentina back in February, perhaps signaling then the truck's fate.  Further, Daimler may end their partnership with Nissan - Renault as part of a cost saving measure. This would largely be achieved by ending shared projects like the X-Class and the Smart For Two which shares platforms with the Renault Twingo.  The Infiniti QX30 which shares with the Mercedes-Benz GLA has already been canceled

Daimler is trying to save $6.75 billion by 2021 with another $2.25 billion from the Daimler trucks division. In doing so, 10,000 jobs could be cut.

View full article

Oh well.  I doubt the X-Class would have made a dent in sales here, regardless of where it was built.  Chicken Tax or no, few people here are willing to pay for a Honda Ridgeline, let alone a Nissan-based Mercedes-Benz unibody "truck".

Oh the excuses we will hear lol. 

The best or nothing still can’t solve the “lowly” pick up market without borrowing someone else’s truck and still can’t figure that out. I seem to recall this type of scenario playing out when this overdressed Nissan was first announced. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I am eagerly awaiting @smk4565's response to this. 

"They have cash out the @ss" 

"money is never an issue" 

"They'll just throw money at it until it works" 

the simpsons waiting GIF

They're in the same contraction of the industry that everyone else is. They're trying to save over $8 billion and shaving off 10,000 jobs.

This does make one wonder what their Hybrid and EV portfolio will become. They also have the over rated Hyper Fluff Vapor Car that still is not a saleable product. It might be time to just kill the Money Pit and admit they cannot make an F1 engine work on normal roads.

• Haha 1

Dfelt, this thread is not about hybrids and EV's.  Good Lord man.

Looks like Benz is finding out that a li'l hustle will get you nowhere.  You've got to go all-in.  Didn't they learn ANYTHING from Chevy's Nissan collab... the brill City Express?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Oh well.  I doubt the X-Class would have made a dent in sales here, regardless of where it was built.  Chicken Tax or no, few people here are willing to pay for a Honda Ridgeline, let alone a Nissan-based Mercedes-Benz unibody "truck".

So the X-Class isn't Unibody. It is based on the Nissan Navara, which is body-on-frame.

Also, I think the Ridgeline is one of the best pickups - unibody or not. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

So the X-Class isn't Unibody. It is based on the Nissan Navara, which is body-on-frame.

Also, I think the Ridgeline is one of the best pickups - unibody or not. 

The fact that the Navara is BOF is actually worse because MB would have tried to sell its truck to the toughest market here: the BOF midsize truck market.  Not a lot of room when the Japanese have made some inroads but have failed to overthrow the domestics like they did with cars and crossovers.  Moreover, even if the X-Class were class-leading there is no guarantee that they would even dent the dominance of the F-series, especially at the price range that Mercedes-Benz usually has their vehicles.  The Ridgeline is still a relative poor seller compared to the competition, regardless of whether it is one of the best (unibody) pickups or not.

Having said that, if the X-Class were built on the same platform as the GLK/GLS, maybe then MB will have a chance without having to spend too much extra money in development.  But it does look like Daimler is doing some rethinking on a lot of things here.

With that low of a volume, plus needing the Renault-Nissan alliance to make the truck work, it makes sense to cut it.  

If they wanted to get into the truck market again they could do that, but they would have to be in the American market where trucks are big and not try to base it in Europe.

Better for them to focus on their core products though if the market starts to shrink.  Plus they need to put money in EV and autonomous because that is what investors want to see.

2 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

The fact that the Navara is BOF is actually worse because MB would have tried to sell its truck to the toughest market here: the BOF midsize truck market.  Not a lot of room when the Japanese have made some inroads but have failed to overthrow the domestics like they did with cars and crossovers.  Moreover, even if the X-Class were class-leading there is no guarantee that they would even dent the dominance of the F-series, especially at the price range that Mercedes-Benz usually has their vehicles.  The Ridgeline is still a relative poor seller compared to the competition, regardless of whether it is one of the best (unibody) pickups or not.

Having said that, if the X-Class were built on the same platform as the GLK/GLS, maybe then MB will have a chance without having to spend too much extra money in development.  But it does look like Daimler is doing some rethinking on a lot of things here.

The Tacoma is the #4 selling truck in the USA and the super old Nissan Frontier outsells the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon.  

I do think if Mercedes wanted to do a truck the MRH platform that is under the GLE/GLS is the platform to use.  That platform is only used on 2 vehicles (3 if you count GLE coupe) and it is made in the USA

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

With that low of a volume, plus needing the Renault-Nissan alliance to make the truck work, it makes sense to cut it.  

If they wanted to get into the truck market again they could do that, but they would have to be in the American market where trucks are big and not try to base it in Europe.

Better for them to focus on their core products though if the market starts to shrink.  Plus they need to put money in EV and autonomous because that is what investors want to see.

The Tacoma is the #4 selling truck in the USA and the super old Nissan Frontier outsells the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon.  

I do think if Mercedes wanted to do a truck the MRH platform that is under the GLE/GLS is the platform to use.  That platform is only used on 2 vehicles (3 if you count GLE coupe) and it is made in the USA

Their target market for the X-Class was not Europe. They were gunning for the Asia and South American market that the Navara was occupying. Mercedes just couldn’t pull it off. 

And the Frontier does not such thing. For the year, the Frontier has sold 39K units while the Colorado alone has sold 65K. On what planet is that better sales for the Frontier? The Ranger has sold 30K but hasn’t been on sale everywhere very long. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Oh; no! Someone here said ( very recently) that once you get out of a segment, it’s nearly impossible to get back in it!

Yup although surely he wasn’t talking about Daimler. They can do anything, except build and market their own pick up, of course. 

78FA6BC9-420D-4C24-88D6-F7E2E149460B.jpeg

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Their target market for the X-Class was not Europe. They were gunning for the Asia and South American market that the Navara was occupying. Mercedes just couldn’t pull it off. 

And the Frontier does no such thing. For the year, the Frontier has sold 39K units while the Colorado alone has sold 65K. On what planet is that better sales for the Frontier? The Ranger has sold 30K but hasn’t been on sale everywhere very long. 

Corrected for fat thumbs on the phone. 

78FA6BC9-420D-4C24-88D6-F7E2E149460B.jpeg

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Oh; no! Someone here said ( very recently) that once you get out of a segment, it’s nearly impossible to get back in it!

It is.  But they were never in the American pick up market.  It is hard to enter too.  I was never a big fan of the Mercedes pickup idea.  I think it better left dead.  If anything I would say Daimler could do a Freightliner pickup that could mop the floor with the F-super duty and Silverado HD.

Edited by smk4565
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It is.  But they were never in the American pick up market.  It is hard to enter too.  I was never a big fan of the Mercedes pickup idea.  I think it better left dead.  If anything I would say Daimler could do a Freightliner pickup that could mop the floor with the F-super duty and Silverado HD.

“Never a big fan”.

Your posts about it when it was announced two years ago would suggest otherwise. Your assurance that they could still do a Freightliner style pick up also supports this (which btw is laughable). 

42 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

If anything I would say Daimler could do a Freightliner pickup that could mop the floor with the F-super duty and Silverado HD.

I do think that is a good idea but I don't think it would mop the floor with the other very VERY established HDs. 

• Agree 2

Instead of a big investment to JV or build from scratch a new model to try and enter an existing segment, they should be bold and offer the existing Sprinter truck versions here, maybe with a deeper pickup style bed instead of the shallow tilt bed....focus on the commercial market like the Sprinter vans.  

209-Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter-516-MWB-Cab-Chassis-Matt-Campell-1200x800p-1.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Dfelt, this thread is not about hybrids and EV's.  Good Lord man.

Looks like Benz is finding out that a li'l hustle will get you nowhere.  You've got to go all-in.  Didn't they learn ANYTHING from Chevy's Nissan collab... the brill City Express?

Hello, Earth calling Venus, the story clearly touched on the whole company so if a body on frame truck deal is dead and other auto's are going to be pared down, this does then bring up a valid question on what is the update for their Hybrid / EV product lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

They don't even market the Sprinter as a Freightliner anymore. They're not going to bring that back.   No, they're all about putting it under the 3 pointed star. 

4 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I think the money is being diverted to EV’s.  They have to bet on the future.

The money is just being cut.  They're trying for $8b in savings.  More cuts are coming. I wouldn't be surprised if the Crossover Coupes get the ax next. They sell in miserable numbers. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The problem with the X-class is Mercedes owners aren’t going to buy a truck made by Nissan and Nissan owners aren’t going to pay Mercedes pricing.

REALITY, Mercedes is not all things to everyone. People who want trucks want it from a real truck company, not a Luxury car company, attempting to be a Chevrolet of all things with a model for every nook and cranny. 

Double Reality is that MB is going to have to stop wasting money on pie in the sky have something for everyone and get back to what they made money on, a focused luxury / performance line.

Toyota / Chevrolet buyers buy Toyota / Chevrolet or equal. The Badge snobs who bought the few A, B & C auto's are turning them back in off lease in record numbers and going elsewhere as only 36% are retained. This dumps allot of luxury level Auto's on the used car market and yet there are only so much a down market can absorb. 

Welcome to the 21st century.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

REALITY, Mercedes is not all things to everyone. People who want trucks want it from a real truck company, not a Luxury car company, attempting to be a Chevrolet of all things with a model for every nook and cranny. 

Double Reality is that MB is going to have to stop wasting money on pie in the sky have something for everyone and get back to what they made money on, a focused luxury / performance line.

Toyota / Chevrolet buyers buy Toyota / Chevrolet or equal. The Badge snobs who bought the few A, B & C auto's are turning them back in off lease in record numbers and going elsewhere as only 36% are retained. This dumps allot of luxury level Auto's on the used car market and yet there are only so much a down market can absorb. 

Welcome to the 21st century.

Daimler is the largest truck maker in the world.  That is the most “real” truck company there is.

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Agreed. They are the most useless class of vehicles out there not named "Smart".

Useless but people pay a premium for them.  4 door coupes are useless too but every keeps making them.

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Daimler is the largest truck maker in the world.  That is the most “real” truck company there is.

Useless but people pay a premium for them.  4 door coupes are useless too but every keeps making them.

:facepalm::glare: Ya know we are talking consumer trucks, NOT Class 8 Commercial Trucks that the public DOES NOT buy or Drive!

So let's stop the goal post movement and stay with the program of Consumer retail trucks, again NOT COMMERCIAL TRUCK SALES!

People HAVE NOT paid a premium for a Luxury pickup truck unless it is from FORD, GENERAL MOTORS or RAM!

And NO we are not talking about the rare 6x6 G-Wagon Pickup truck that was one made of only.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Maybe you missed the part where I cared. The sales of most of them are dismal and they are utterly useless as CUVs. 

As as far as your truck maker remark, LMAO! We are not talking about box trucks, cab overs, etc.We are talking about PICK UPS and despite their moniker of being the largest truck maker in the world, Daimler can’t find a market for their dressed up Nissan, hence them dumping it. I mean, you said if Benz wanted to, they could yet they don’t because they can’t. 

• Agree 2

Ford, Chevy Ram have sold trucks because no one really put a competitive entrant in there.  If Toyota went all in on the Tundra and made it superior to the domestic trucks they would start to take market share, just the way the Camry shut down the domestic sedan market.   The Camry did that because it was good, the Tundra is not competitive, thus hasn't.

And if Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Tesla or whoever wanted to go into a luxury pick up market they would steal some sales.  Problem is what % of F150's are that top trim vs the 100,000s of work truck trims sold?  When you have a huge quantity to suck up most of the engineering, it is easy to do a top trim level and sell a few of them.  Just like BMW can do an M5 because 528i's exist.  

It isn't that Daimler with all their truck knowledge couldn't build the best pick up out there, but how much volume would they get on a Mercedes truck that was $70,000 base?  If Ford made the F150 start at $70,000 then sales would drop from 700,000 a year to about 25,000 a year, and there would be no business case for it.

• Disagree 3

8 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Ford, Chevy Ram have sold trucks because no one really put a competitive entrant in there.

Those are the competition : Ford <> Chevy <> GMC <> Dodge. They compete, and hard, against EACH OTHER.

nissan / toyoyo are after-thoughts, market-wise.

If Ford made the F150 start at $70,000 then sales would drop from 700,000 a year

2018 F-Series was 909,330.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Ford, Chevy Ram have sold trucks because no one really put a competitive entrant in there.  If Toyota went all in on the Tundra and made it superior to the domestic trucks they would start to take market share, just the way the Camry shut down the domestic sedan market.   The Camry did that because it was good, the Tundra is not competitive, thus hasn't.

And if Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Tesla or whoever wanted to go into a luxury pick up market they would steal some sales.  Problem is what % of F150's are that top trim vs the 100,000s of work truck trims sold?  When you have a huge quantity to suck up most of the engineering, it is easy to do a top trim level and sell a few of them.  Just like BMW can do an M5 because 528i's exist.  

It isn't that Daimler with all their truck knowledge couldn't build the best pick up out there, but how much volume would they get on a Mercedes truck that was $70,000 base?  If Ford made the F150 start at $70,000 then sales would drop from 700,000 a year to about 25,000 a year, and there would be no business case for it.

Mmmmkay dude. Whatever you say. 

For the record, truck prices have gone through the roof yet keep selling like hot cakes. Seems like some folks don’t mind paying $70K for a Ford or RAM. What is hilarious is that you compare that number against a vapor ware Benz pickup that would not have started anywhere near $70K. Just more of that imaginary pricing of yours with a hint of bar moving. Like you said, if they wanted to do it, they would. Alas, they can’t. 

In regards to Toyota, cars like the Camry and Corolla sell because of legendary reliability yet rank near the bottom in every comparison out there. In other words, they haven’t gone all in with those for years now meaning that “going all in” isn’t always the magic bullet towards cracking certain markets. To even bring a Camry up like it’s comparable to what’s going on with MERCEDES is laughable deflection on your part. Playing that fanboy card pretty hard today. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

@smk4565—Your top trim sales argument can be used against Mercedes as well. How many actual top trim Benzs are sold versus the pleather and plastic entry and base models of there’s. I’m willing to bet the top trim F150 percentage is higher than most Benzs out there. Again, they sell like hot cakes and I always see dozens of top trim models on various lots around. They wouldn’t keep getting them if they weren’t selling. 

44 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

@smk4565—Your top trim sales argument can be used against Mercedes as well. How many actual top trim Benzs are sold versus the pleather and plastic entry and base models of there’s. I’m willing to bet the top trim F150 percentage is higher than most Benzs out there. Again, they sell like hot cakes and I always see dozens of top trim models on various lots around. They wouldn’t keep getting them if they weren’t selling. 

It isn't about percentage it is about price point.  Why do Cadillac and Lincoln not have pickup trucks?  Both tried and failed, Lincoln tried twice and failed.   Lexus and Infiniti never tried.

Mercedes can't find enough volume for a truck on their own, it would have to platform share with another vehicle, which is what they tried with the X-class and it didn't work.  They could try to convert a GLS into a unibody pick up, but a GLS is expensive, and how many trucks would they sell at that price point?  I don't see that as being a smart business move.

Toyota if they got their act together on the Tundra I think could make a Lexus truck because even if they sold 20,000 a year, it wouldn't matter because the Tundra is eating up all the R&D cost.

40 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It isn't about percentage it is about price point.  Why do Cadillac and Lincoln not have pickup trucks?  Both tried and failed, Lincoln tried twice and failed.   Lexus and Infiniti never tried.

Mercedes can't find enough volume for a truck on their own, it would have to platform share with another vehicle, which is what they tried with the X-class and it didn't work.  They could try to convert a GLS into a unibody pick up, but a GLS is expensive, and how many trucks would they sell at that price point?  I don't see that as being a smart business move.

Toyota if they got their act together on the Tundra I think could make a Lexus truck because even if they sold 20,000 a year, it wouldn't matter because the Tundra is eating up all the R&D cost.

Again, mmmkay dude. 

The Cadillac Escalade EXT actually did well (for what it was) but it was also not a full blown pick up. Once GM decided to scrap the Avalanche, there was no chance for the Caddy. Still did way better than Lincoln attempts and still better than the vapor ware attempt by Benz. I’m thinking that’s the only reason for your deflection. The domestics at least made an attempt (with some success by one of them) while the best or nothing said “we got nothing”. And that’s the point here. Mercedes could not even get it off the ground, even with a borrowed platform to work with. Make all the excuses you want regarding anyone else not sporting that Tri Star on the hood but facts are facts. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Again, mmmkay dude. 

The Cadillac Escalade EXT actually did well (for what it was) but it was also not a full blown pick up. Once GM decided to scrap the Avalanche, there was no chance for the Caddy. Still did way better than Lincoln attempts and still better than the vapor ware attempt by Benz. I’m thinking that’s the only reason for your deflection. The domestics at least made an attempt (with some success by one of them) while the best or nothing said “we got nothing”. And that’s the point here. Mercedes could not even get it off the ground, even with a borrowed platform to work with. Make all the excuses you want regarding anyone else not sporting that Tri Star on the hood but facts are facts. 

What were the sales of the Lincoln Mark LT compared to the Cadillac Escalade EXT?

Also, I am not sure if Cadillac CAN make a true luxury pickup given the predominance of the GMC Sierra Denali, which already fetch Cadillac prices.

13 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Again, mmmkay dude. 

I never thought a Mercedes pick up was a good idea to begin with, and I certainly wouldn't use any thing from Nissan/Renault as a platform.  That is why I didn't think it would work here.  If it worked overseas they could have done  a gen 2 on their own platform and brought it to the USA.  Doing it the way they did was a way to put their toe in the water with little R&D expense, I think it is a smart move to dump the pick up and focus on sedans and SUVs which is where they make their money.

6 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

What were the sales of the Lincoln Mark LT compared to the Cadillac Escalade EXT?

Also, I am not sure if Cadillac CAN make a true luxury pickup given the predominance of the GMC Sierra Denali, which already fetch Cadillac prices.

And imagine Cadillac or Lincoln making a pickup without using the Silverado or F150 chassis.  And see how the business case for that would work.  GM can't even make a business case for a Camaro that rides on an existing platform.   And it is every carmaker, they see crossovers as profit, and that is where the money will go, and the Detroit 3 have full size trucks also which works here, not outside of the USA, thus they have to put all their other money in crossovers or whatever China demands or regulates.  

I think it is great that they are killing the X-class (and SLC also).  I think they should kill the S-class convertible, to make more room for the SL.  I don't think the CLS serves any purpose, they can kill that too.  I'd like to see C and E-class convertibles stay since they are killing SLC and S-class convertible.  They can kill the C-class wagon too.  Cut the fat, make a Maybach G-wagon instead.  I could see a Maybach E580, which would be pretty bad ass.   And that is easy stuff to do, just load up existing models that are already paid for.  Heck that has kept FCA in business for the past 10 years.

10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Good lord, I hope the the crossover coupes get the axe. I have such an irrational hatred for those things. 

No suck luck the BMW X8 is a go, and it probably won't cost any more to build than an X7, yet it will sell for $130,000 and the BMW bored will be like

spacer.png

as they count their profits

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

So a "rebadged toyoter"; a marketplace also-ran? That's you suggestion for success???

IF Toyota got their act together on the Tundra.  The current Tundra is a joke, it is dated as can be, has been on market for 12 years, has a 5.7 liter engine making 3 liter V6 power.  Toyota has 10s of billions of dollars in cash on hand.  If they launched a Tundra that was class leading in ride, handling, towing, hauling, fuel economy, refinement, and reliability (which  they have the money to do), THEN they can do a Lexus version.  But in their current state of affairs no, their full size truck entrant is a joke, and there is no excuse for it, they aren't on an FCA shoestring budget, they are the richest car company in the world.

I actually think if Toyota set a goal and made a 20 year commitment that they could get the Tundra to outsell the F150.  The Camry only needed about 15 years to be the #1 selling car, the RAV4 needed about 15 years to be #1 selling SUV.

Edited by smk4565

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Sales were not through the roof, by any means, but the assertion made by SMK was that others “failed” (even though the Slade was around for 2 generations) so it’s okay for Benz to give up on their vapor ware. The best or nothing. Now I get it lol. 

And again with the excuses by @smk4565 about what they have available. They are the largest truck maker in the world but nowhere in that huge parts bin of theirs are the parts for a simple pick up? LMAO at the endless excuses and deflection here!

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

No suck luck the BMW X8 is a go, and it probably won't cost any more to build than an X7, yet it will sell for $130,000 and the BMW bored will be like

Well, when they sell 18 of them in two years, hopefully it will get the axe after that. Hopefully the lot gets trimmed sooner by getting rid of the bucket of pukes in the GLC Coupe, GLE Coupe, X4, and X6. 

FCK THOSE VEHICLES. 

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I actually think if Toyota set a goal and made a 20 year commitment that they could get the Tundra to outsell the F150.  The Camry only needed about 15 years to be the #1 selling car, the RAV4 needed about 15 years to be #1 selling SUV

I think it could be competitive but I think there is zero chance it could outsell the F150 unless the next F150 is a COMPLETE dud AND it falls to #3 behind the Ram and Silverado making the Toyota #3 and F150 #4. 

Also, to the best of my knowledge, those sales are F series, not just F150. That would mean Toyota would need their Tundra to have HD versions and try and take that whole market as well.

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The vast bulk of the F-Series is the F-150. 

The problem with the theory that “if toyoter got on it” is that Ford NEVER sits still on the F-150, and they’re LIGHT YEARS ahead of where the tundra will be 2 generations from now. It’s a no-win scenario.

Now if only GM would do the same with its crossovers. . . . .

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

The vast bulk of the F-Series is the F-150. 

The problem with the theory that “if toyoter got on it” is that Ford NEVER sits still on the F-150, and they’re LIGHT YEARS ahead of where the tundra will be 2 generations from now. It’s a no-win scenario.

Toyota could spend Ford under a table if they wanted to.  Toyota made over $17 billion in profit last year, over 20 billion the year before and sits on about a $50 billion pile of cash and short term investments.  Why on earth they haven't taken that full size truck segment head on is beyond me.

I don't think it's just about money.
Ford has been building trucks since 1905, they've been crushing the full-size segment for 50+ years, trucks are hardwired into the Corporation's DNA.
And now -- much to toyota's dismay no doubt -- Ford is doubling down on trucks and is just beginning to flex it's muscle in the only spot toyoter has had any success; where the 'coma sits. 
Toyoter has always been focused on cars (and CUVs now), but the cars are still looking to continue to constrict, and their trucks aren't anywhere near where the cam/rolla is. toyota is going to see some real erosion, IMO.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Toyota could spend Ford under a table if they wanted to.  Toyota made over $17 billion in profit last year, over 20 billion the year before and sits on about a $50 billion pile of cash and short term investments.  Why on earth they haven't taken that full size truck segment head on is beyond me.

The exact same reason neither Ford nor GM ever took small cars seriously: not in their DNA.  For Ford or GM to take on the Toyota Corolla/Yaris and/or the Honda Civic/Fit is almost an economic suicide mission at this point.  If Detroit wanted to take down Civic/Corolla, then the Detroit three would have had to dedicate everything and their children to take them down back in the early 1970s.  Instead the public gets the Chevy Vega and the Ford Pinto, neither of which were good enough.