Drew Dowdell

Kia Unveils the Seltos

...this tiny crossover is likely coming to the U.S....

In Delhi, India today Kia has taken the wraps off their tiny SUV calling it the Seltos.  While this model signals Kia's entry into the Indian market, it is highly likely that the Seltos will be sold in the U.S.  Kia is planning a massive launch in India with the most dealerships ever seen for a new brand entry.

The Seltos is essentially a production version of the Kia SP Signature Concept that debuted in March of 2019. While it is a small crossover, the Seltos design affords a sporty look with a relatively long hood and strong character lines. LED lights surround the exterior. In the Indian market, the Seltos comes with 16", 17", or 18" wheels, however the US market model may skip the base 16" wheels.

Depending on the market (read: the U.S. isn't getting the diesel), the Seltos is powered by a 1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder making about 175 horsepower, a 2.0 liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder making 147 horsepower, or a 1.6 liter diesel with 134 horsepower. Transmission choices are a 7-speed dual clutch, a 6-speed auto, or a CVT.   The driver can select different powertrain modes of normal, ECO, and Sport.

Inside the Kia's UVO infotainment system is there with a 10.25 inch screen that feature split screen ability to display up to 3 different applications on the screen at the same time. Unfortunately, we don't have any images of the interior yet. But it does come with a "Sound Mood Lighting" option with 6 themes and 8 colors that synchronizes to the beat of the music.

The Kia Seltos will be built in India and Korea.

Source and Pictures: Kia Media

I gotta say, the Hyundai Venue is cute, but this is really handsome and much more attractive!  Kia and Hyundai are doing a good job keeping their brands distinct from each other and not being just badge jobs.

I saw somewhere last week this was coming to the US and was to target Millennial buyers.   I like the front end detailing.

Is it me of does those headlights and the front say ACURA!

I agree with Drew, this is a sharp looking auto for the size.

LOVE the attention to detail such as the colored Calipers on the brakes. This really sets them apart from companies like Ford with rusty calipers on their Mustang unless you buy the performance package with brakes and then you get painted calipers.

The Koreans are really paying attention to not only quality, but the little details that does set them apart from the rest.

Interesting drawings online of the interior.

See the source image

Very Sparse.

See the source image

balthazar

Posted (edited)

Way too busy front end w too many disharmonious elements. Suddenly the Silverado is sleek & clean!

This is really bad design, IMO; I can't easily see past it

worm.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Agreed.  This looks pretty good and the headlights make it look expensive.  You wouldn’t guess that this is competing with a Traxx or HRV by looking at it.  It looks a level or two up.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Is it me of does those headlights and the front say ACURA!

I agree with Drew, this is a sharp looking auto for the size.

Interesting drawings online of the interior.

See the source image

Very Sparse.

See the source image

“Floating” NAV screen!  Industry first!

How large/small is the Seltos compared to the KIA Soul?  Will it replace the KIA Soul, since they both seem to be small CUVs?

45 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Smaller than the Soul

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

As Drew said, smaller than the Soul and also with AWD if I’m not mistaken. The Soul is Kias best seller. They are not replacing it anytime soon especially since they just released the all new model.

Remember, we all need a CUV every 2 inches of length.

This will be the low cost entry like the Venue.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

AWD was not mentioned in the press release. I think some media outlets are speculating.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember, we all need a CUV every 2 inches of length.

The consumer public will not be satisfied until there are 1,000 crossovers available for under $30,000.  And 1,000 more for above $30,000.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember, we all need a CUV every 2 inches of length.

This will be the low cost entry like the Venue.

Okay. That’s where I was getting that info. It would make sense to offer it though. It is also appears to similar to the Kona in size (to my understanding anyway) and it offers AWD. Guess we will see in the future.

Edited by surreal1272

Smaller? Yikes...

Looks great, but don’t plan to roll in a micro machine...really don’t want anything smaller than my Equinox. At that point a car makes more sense.....

9 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It could be Kona sized.... they didn't release any specs. To me, it looks Venue sized.

Put the Style on a Mid and full size CUV and you got it made for a family. :P

I

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Put the Style on a Mid and full size CUV and you got it made for a family. :P

Well, they already have the new Telluride, different design language.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sorrento gets some of this frontal styling.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Same platform as the Venue from what I've read..so bigger than the Soul  but smaller than the Sportage... kind of Trax/Encore sized, I think?

Edited by Robert Hall

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

What? No, the Venue is the smallest crossover you can get.  Trax/Encore are larger.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ah, Venue is smaller than I thought.  Venue is actually smaller than the Soul, apparently.

35 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Some people have a very small Soul, so no need for bigger especially if it does not exist at all. :P

I love it when I see a black, black Soul on the highway of life.

If this is Venue-sized, I gotta tell ya I prefer the Venue, because it is not derivative of any other CUV.  The Sell Toes is let down a bit by the rear clip, which has the ubiquitous triangular quarter glass and a taillight arrangement that could be off so many other CUV's.  Venue is at least a unique miniature.

One article has it positioned between the Soul and Sportage which would at least make some sense.

22 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Yeah, that would fit the current trend of filling in the niches between subcompact and compact like GM is doing w/ the Trailblazer and Encore GX.

What a difference that four years make. That's the timeframe from the first Kia electric I reviewed (Soul EV) to the model seen here, the 2019 Niro EV. So much has changed in terms of battery technology and overall range that I could see myself having an electric vehicle as a primary mode of transport. There are some still some issues that make me think twice, but they are getting smaller.
      Kia avoided the trend of going crazy with the Niro EV’s design. Little touches such as blue accent trim, 17-inch alloy wheels, and closed-front grille hiding the charging port help the EV stand apart from other Niro models. Changes inside are even smaller with a new center console featuring a dial control for the drive selector. This move is very smart as many buyers really don’t want their vehicle to shout “LOOK AT ME” when driving. The electric powertrain in the Niro EV packs quite the punch - 201 horsepower and 291 pound-feet of torque. This is up 62 and 92 respectively from the Niro Hybrid I drove a few years back. Providing the electricity is a 64 kWh Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery that provides an estimated range of 239 miles. Kia says the Niro EV will hit 60 mph in under eight seconds. But I found it to be slightly quicker thanks to all of the torque being available instantly. Merging onto a freeway is where the electric powertrain does lose steam - blame a hefty curb weight of 3,854 pounds. I saw a maximum range of 208 to 210 miles throughout my week. This was due to cold temperatures ranging from low 30s to high 40s. But I was able to do a forty-mile round-trip commute for most of the week without having any range anxiety issues. Charging anxiety is a different story. If you have been reading my electric and plug-in hybrid reviews, then you’ll know that I only have access to 120V charging at home. Plugging the Niro EV after my day job meant waiting over sixteen hours for a full charge. This caused me to not want to venture out far unless I had some important errands to run as it would mean a longer time for a recharge. If I had completely depleted the battery, I would be waiting over two days for the battery to recharge. If you have a 240V charger, that time drops to 9.5 hours for a full-recharge. Finding a quick charger has gotten easier in the past year or two, but it is still a hit and miss affair. There are no quick chargers near where I live (unless I have a Tesla). It's slightly better further south where I work as there some around the area. But that introduces its own set of problems such setting aside the time to charge up the vehicle to finding if one works. I should note that I didn’t get the chance to try quick charging with the Niro EV during my week.  Handling is slightly better in the Niro EV thanks to the additional weight of the battery pack which reduces body roll. Steering is very light when turning, but will surprise you with how quick and accurate it deals with changes in direction. Ride quality is a little bit firm with some bumps and imperfections making their way inside. Where the Niro EV shines is noise isolation. During my work commute, I was surprised by how little wind and road noise came inside.  The major downside to the Niro EV is its limited availability. At the time of this writing, Kia is only selling the Niro EV is twelve states - most of them having Zero Emission Vehicle (or ZEV) programs that require automakers to sell a certain amount of electric vehicles in their lineups. Nothing is stopping you from purchasing a Niro EV in one of the states that it is available, but I’m wondering how many people will do that. Pricing for the Niro EV begins at $38,500 for the base EX model. I had the EX Premium at $44,000 which adds such goodies as an eight-inch touchscreen, premium audio system, heated and ventilated front seats; sunroof. Add in a $1,000 Launch Edition package (LED headlights, front parking sensors, and auto-dimming rear-view mirror), and my as-tested price came to $45,995. Expensive bit of kit, but the Niro EV does come with a long list of standard features including heated outside mirrors with power folding; seven-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto; adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, and push-button start. Plus, the Niro EV qualifies for the full $7,500 federal tax credit which may sway some buyers when it comes time to do their taxes. The Kia Niro EV is the first electric vehicle that I could see myself living with. It drives for the most part as a normal vehicle and offers enough range for most people. The big item you need to be aware of is charging. If you decide to purchase, be sure to get a 240V charger and check to see if there are any sort of fast chargers in your area. It may mean the difference between worry-free and a large amount of anxiety. Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Niro EV, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Kia
      Model: Niro EV
      Trim: EX Premium
      Engine: 356V Permanent Magnet Synchronous Electric Motor
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Lithium Ion Polymer Battery Pack
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 3,800 - 8,000
      Torque @ RPM: 291 @ 0 - 3,600
      Estimated Range: 239 Miles
      Curb Weight: 3,854 lbs
      Location of Manufacture:
      Base Price: $44,000
      As Tested Price: $46,045 (Includes $1,045.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Launch Edition - $1,000.00

Year: 2019
      Make: Kia
      Model: Niro EV
      Trim: EX Premium
      Engine: 356V Permanent Magnet Synchronous Electric Motor
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Lithium Ion Polymer Battery Pack
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 3,800 - 8,000
      Torque @ RPM: 291 @ 0 - 3,600
      Estimated Range: 239 Miles
      Curb Weight: 3,854 lbs
      Location of Manufacture:
      Base Price: $44,000
      As Tested Price: $46,045 (Includes $1,045.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Total
      60,730
      53,864
      418,979
      400,539
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti today released a teaser image of an upcoming crossover coupe due to be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this year.  The QX55 will slot between the QX50 and QX60 in the lineup but will borrow heavily from the QX50 platform.  Not much is known about the crossover except that it will likely be a front-wheel drive based vehicle and feature Infiniti's new 2.0 liter variable compression engine.
      Infiniti says the QX55 will be in dealerships in Summer of 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti says the QX55 will be in dealerships in Summer of 2020.

• ^^^ Clearing out the 2019s for the 2020s to arrive.
    • I'd rather see what the car does at half throttle, but the manufacturers have already found a cheat for that.
    • Nice! Super Cruise is awesome, tried it driving a CT6 Platinum I had for Cadillac's 24 hr. test drive. It's pretty accurate and a camera on top of the steering column watches your eyes too "see" if you're paying attention. With dark sunglasses on I tested it by looking at my passenger without moving my head and within 5 or 6 seconds it started beeping and flashing lights in the steering wheel and in the head-up display to alert me, so it saw the whites of my eyes through the sunglasses that's pretty badass really. Kinda like a backseat driver though haha! It stays in the lane really well and isn't jerky or slow to react or too fast to react if someone changes lanes in front of you and that was First Gen. SuperCruise early last year. Second Gen. SC for 2020 is suppose to be much more intelligent too. Pretty soon we'll be having conversations with our cars as we drive, something good to vent our frustrations to that doesn't get overemotional 😆
    • Got this cadillac marketing flyer in the mail today. Everything is 0% interest or some.serious cash on the hood on every model they sell. Wow, $11,000 off an Escalade.
    • OK,  30 to 40 years ago the SOHC and DOHC were screaming Sewing machine engines with no go and sucked other than just a somewhat reliable nature in generic crappy compact auto's. They got a perception of reliable as they pushed service intervals out to 100,000 miles versus US OEMs stuck with stupid 30,000 mile intervals into the late 90's and sadly most auto owners are lazy with maintenance as such, US auto's would stop running when you failed to do the 30K tuneups and 3K oil changes. Plus most asian autos were manual everything where US was pushing electric everything. US auto's could survive a long life if people only followed the maintenance manual.  Sadly I doubt many on this forum have even read their own current owners manual. Being OCD, I have read everyone of my auto's I own and my 1994 GMC Suburban, the oldest car I own and bought new still out performs most current asian SUV/trucks. Take my GMC Suburban SLE over anything Asian or german that is sold today.