Drew Dowdell

Kia Unveils the Seltos

...this tiny crossover is likely coming to the U.S....

In Delhi, India today Kia has taken the wraps off their tiny SUV calling it the Seltos.  While this model signals Kia's entry into the Indian market, it is highly likely that the Seltos will be sold in the U.S.  Kia is planning a massive launch in India with the most dealerships ever seen for a new brand entry.

The Seltos is essentially a production version of the Kia SP Signature Concept that debuted in March of 2019. While it is a small crossover, the Seltos design affords a sporty look with a relatively long hood and strong character lines. LED lights surround the exterior. In the Indian market, the Seltos comes with 16", 17", or 18" wheels, however the US market model may skip the base 16" wheels.

Depending on the market (read: the U.S. isn't getting the diesel), the Seltos is powered by a 1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder making about 175 horsepower, a 2.0 liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder making 147 horsepower, or a 1.6 liter diesel with 134 horsepower. Transmission choices are a 7-speed dual clutch, a 6-speed auto, or a CVT.   The driver can select different powertrain modes of normal, ECO, and Sport.

Inside the Kia's UVO infotainment system is there with a 10.25 inch screen that feature split screen ability to display up to 3 different applications on the screen at the same time. Unfortunately, we don't have any images of the interior yet. But it does come with a "Sound Mood Lighting" option with 6 themes and 8 colors that synchronizes to the beat of the music.

The Kia Seltos will be built in India and Korea.

Source and Pictures: Kia Media

I gotta say, the Hyundai Venue is cute, but this is really handsome and much more attractive!  Kia and Hyundai are doing a good job keeping their brands distinct from each other and not being just badge jobs.

I saw somewhere last week this was coming to the US and was to target Millennial buyers.   I like the front end detailing.

Is it me of does those headlights and the front say ACURA!

I agree with Drew, this is a sharp looking auto for the size.

LOVE the attention to detail such as the colored Calipers on the brakes. This really sets them apart from companies like Ford with rusty calipers on their Mustang unless you buy the performance package with brakes and then you get painted calipers.

The Koreans are really paying attention to not only quality, but the little details that does set them apart from the rest.

Interesting drawings online of the interior.

See the source image

Very Sparse.

See the source image

Way too busy front end w too many disharmonious elements. Suddenly the Silverado is sleek & clean!

This is really bad design, IMO; I can't easily see past it

worm.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Agreed.  This looks pretty good and the headlights make it look expensive.  You wouldn’t guess that this is competing with a Traxx or HRV by looking at it.  It looks a level or two up.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Is it me of does those headlights and the front say ACURA!

I agree with Drew, this is a sharp looking auto for the size.

Interesting drawings online of the interior.

See the source image

Very Sparse.

See the source image

“Floating” NAV screen!  Industry first!

How large/small is the Seltos compared to the KIA Soul?  Will it replace the KIA Soul, since they both seem to be small CUVs?

45 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Smaller than the Soul

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

As Drew said, smaller than the Soul and also with AWD if I’m not mistaken. The Soul is Kias best seller. They are not replacing it anytime soon especially since they just released the all new model.

Remember, we all need a CUV every 2 inches of length.

This will be the low cost entry like the Venue.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

AWD was not mentioned in the press release. I think some media outlets are speculating.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember, we all need a CUV every 2 inches of length.

The consumer public will not be satisfied until there are 1,000 crossovers available for under $30,000.  And 1,000 more for above $30,000.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember, we all need a CUV every 2 inches of length.

This will be the low cost entry like the Venue.

Okay. That’s where I was getting that info. It would make sense to offer it though. It is also appears to similar to the Kona in size (to my understanding anyway) and it offers AWD. Guess we will see in the future.

Edited by surreal1272

Smaller? Yikes...

Looks great, but don’t plan to roll in a micro machine...really don’t want anything smaller than my Equinox. At that point a car makes more sense.....

9 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It could be Kona sized.... they didn't release any specs. To me, it looks Venue sized.

I

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Put the Style on a Mid and full size CUV and you got it made for a family. :P

Well, they already have the new Telluride, different design language.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sorrento gets some of this frontal styling.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Same platform as the Venue from what I've read..so bigger than the Soul  but smaller than the Sportage... kind of Trax/Encore sized, I think?

Edited by Robert Hall

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

What? No, the Venue is the smallest crossover you can get.  Trax/Encore are larger.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ah, Venue is smaller than I thought.  Venue is actually smaller than the Soul, apparently.

35 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Some people have a very small Soul, so no need for bigger especially if it does not exist at all. :P

I love it when I see a black, black Soul on the highway of life.

If this is Venue-sized, I gotta tell ya I prefer the Venue, because it is not derivative of any other CUV.  The Sell Toes is let down a bit by the rear clip, which has the ubiquitous triangular quarter glass and a taillight arrangement that could be off so many other CUV's.  Venue is at least a unique miniature.

One article has it positioned between the Soul and Sportage which would at least make some sense.

22 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Yeah, that would fit the current trend of filling in the niches between subcompact and compact like GM is doing w/ the Trailblazer and Encore GX.

Nearly two years ago, I drove the then all-new Hyundai Kona crossover at a press event. It was a unique looking vehicle that was entering the growing subcompact crossover class. Out of the three Hyundai vehicles I drove, the Kona impressed me most with its performance and value for money. But if there is something I have learned over eight years with reviewing vehicles, is that I can’t take first impressions as final. It has been a long wait, but I finally got my hands on a 2020 Kona Ultimate AWD. Let’s see if my first impression can still hold up.
      The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      You may be forgiven for thinking that the Kona has just arrived in a UFO from Planet Nine due to its shape. But Hyundai knew they needed to make a splash in what is becoming a very competitive class. Designers took some influence from the Jeep Cherokee with a rounded front end and the front lights being separated into daytime lights and headlights. Another design trait is the slit that sits between the grille and hood cutline. Finishing off the look is body cladding running along the lower edge and a bright green paint color only available on the turbo engine models. It may seem like an odd mashup of ideas, but it works surprisingly well.
      A Conventional Interior
      Some will be disappointed that Hyundai didn’t continue the wacky design for the Kona’s interior. But having an interior that is user friendly will always pull ahead of interesting design. That isn’t to say Hyundai hasn’t added some special touches such as vent surrounds and seat stitching matching the exterior color. Hard plastics are used throughout, but they don’t feel hollow or cheap when you run your hand across.
      There is a fair amount of space for those sitting upfront. Comfort is ok for short trips, but I found myself wanting more thigh support on longer trips. In the back, there is a large amount of headroom for most passengers. Legroom is a different story as tall people will find their knees pressed against the front seats. Cargo space is another area where the Kona is lacking. With the rear seats up, the Kona’s cargo area measures 19.2 cubic feet - about 0.1 cubic feet more than the Toyota C-HR. Fold them down and space increases to 45.8. This trails the likes of the Chevrolet Trax, Nissan Kicks, and Honda HR-V.
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      The Kona Ultimate comes equipped with an eight-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s infotainment system. This system has consistently been one of my favorites as Hyundai nails the basics - simple interface, blazing-fast performance, and having features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My only complaint is that the design is starting to look dated when compared to other automakers and their updated infotainment.
      Turbo Power!
      Two powertrains are available in the Kona. SE, SEL, and SEL Plus use the 2.0L four-cylinder offering 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic. Limited and Ultimate come with the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 175 horsepower and 195 pound-feet. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Front or all-wheel drive is available for either engine.
      Zippy is the word to describe the performance of the turbo engine. The Kona easily accelerates away from a stop and has no issue with passing a slower vehicle. The dual-clutch transmission seems to stumble when leaving a stop, but does get itself together at higher speeds. I also found the transmission is slow to react when your floor the throttle, taking a few milliseconds to downshift.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.6T with AWD are 26 City/29 Highway/27 Combined. My average for the week landed around 26.7 mpg, mostly due to cold weather during the week I had the Kona.
      Woah, This Crossover Handles
      If you wanted a subcompact crossover that handled decently, your choices were either the Mazda CX-3 or Toyota C-HR. The Kona enters the ring as the third choice, and possibly the best. On the backroads, the Kona feels quite agile and has almost no body roll. If I was to nitpick, the steering doesn’t have as much feel as you’ll find in the CX-3. But it feels noticeably better than the C-HR. Ride quality is impressive with most bumps being isolated from passengers sitting inside. Not too much wind and road noise come inside.
      Possibly the Best Subcompact Crossover At the Moment
      Hyundai has a very compelling package in the Kona. There is an excellent performance from the turbocharged engine, impressive driving dynamics, easy to use infotainment system, and a long list of standard equipment. There are some drawbacks with the small cargo area and rear legroom topping the list. If you need the space, a Honda HR-V would be my first pick. The dual-clutch transmission still needs a bit more work to iron out the hesitation issues I experienced.
      That first impression I had still stands and moves the Kona not only being the best in the class at the moment, but also onto a very rarefied list; a vehicle I would considering buying.
      How I Would Configure A Kona: The only reason I see buying the Ultimate is for the adaptive cruise control as most of the other safety equipment such as blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and forward collision avoidance are available on other models. So if I wanted the Turbo engine, then I would step down to the Limited at $26,100. For those who think that is a tad expensive still should consider the SEL Plus as it comes very well equipped for $23,950. You do sacrifice the turbo engine for the 2.0L four-cylinder which is fine if your planning to drive mostly around town. Add an additional $1,400 for all-wheel drive.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Kona, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Kona
      Trim: Ultimate
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC 16-Valve GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00

The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      A Conventional Interior
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      Turbo Power!
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00
    • By Drew Dowdell
      MONTH OF DECEMBER YEAR-TO-DATE Model 2019 2018 2019 2018 Rio 2,144 1,608 24,961  22,975  Forte 7,635  7,709  95,609 101,890  Optima 7,141 7,809  96,623 101,603 Cadenza 237 198 1,630  4,507 Stinger 1,034 1,289 13,861  16,806 K900 30 55 390  354  Soul 6,932 10,128 98,033  104,709 Niro 2,284  2,006  24,467  28,232  Sportage 8,426 6,998 89,278 82,823  Sorento 7,319 8,502 95,951 107,846 Telluride 6,496 N/A 58,604  N/A Sedona 1,551 1,126 15,931 17,928 Total 51,229 47,428 615,338 589,673
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Kia K5 was unveiled in South Korea last month, but now we have some technical details to go with it. It sounds like Kia will ditch the Optima name in the U.S. and go with the K5 name used in South Korea going forward.
      The engine selection is similar to that of the Hyundai Sonata.  There will be a 1.6-liter turbo 4-cylinder with 178 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft of torque. There will also be a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated and direct injected 4-cylinder that produces 191 hp and 181 lb.-ft of torque. The bigger news is that the Kia K5 GT will also get the 2.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder going into the Sonata N-Line, that motor produces 286 hp and 311 lb.-ft of torque. That final engine is paired with an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission and should get the sedan from 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. Sometime in the future, a hybrid version of the car will be released, but Kia isn't going into detail on that just yet.
      Probably the biggest news for the K5 is that it will gain an all-wheel drive system that can shift power to the rear axle based on road conditions and driver input. It should be noted that the Sonata doesn't get an all-wheel drive option, so this gives the Kia a point of distinction over its cousin.
      The K5 has a sporty exterior with a wide tiger nose grille running the entire width of the vehicle. New headlights with a 'heart beat' daytime running light feature flank both sides. The stance of the K5 is said to lean forward with a rakish windshield and sloping roof.  In the rear is a dual exhaust system and integrated spoiler along with a LED light bar.  Wheels start at 16-inches and range up to 19-inches on the GT.
      The K5 is 193.1 inches long, longer than its predecessor, it's also lower and wider.  Wheelbase grows by 1.8-inches.
      The cabin is all new with fancy new seats and a flat bottom steering wheel. There is an availabe infotainment system that sports a 10.25-inch screen while an available gauge cluster is fully digital and 12.3 inches complimented by an 8.0-inch heads up display. Some models of K5 will get a rotary gear selector while others get a more traditional T-Shifter.
      The K5 will have a bunch of driver assistance technologies including forward collision avoidance assist, blind-spot monitoring and assist, smart cruise control, driver attention warning, and highway driving assist.  Also available is a Level 2 semi-autonomous driving system and a remote park assist that will allow users to move their vehicle forwards or backwards with a key fob in order to get into or out of a tight parking spot.
      The 2021 Kia K5 goes on sale in the first half of 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The 2021 Kia K5 goes on sale in the first half of 2020.

• Well...Ill be damned. I knew that the real Euros were crappy.  I didnt know they were waaaay worse than GM's FWD A-Platform cars.   The reason why I was hard on the 6000 just now is that I have driven my dad's 2.5 4 cylinder Celebrity, a friend's 1987 2.8 V6 Eurosport, a friend's 1986 6000 LE 2.8V6 and a friends 1989 Ciera 3.3 V6.  And NONE of them had ANY hint of performance.  Its just sad that an Audi 5000 is shyttier ... The FWD A platform cars were never bad cars though.  With the 2.8 V6, they were very reliable. Peppy. And could haul a ,lot of stuff including passengers in comfort.  Actually, even the Iron Duke 2.5 was a reliable engine choice in the A Platform.
    • Celebrity Eurosport out-accelerated, handily out-braked, and handily out-handled an Audi 5000S in 1986. It also got a lot better MPG. The real Euro stuff was generally, spectacularly poor then; people forget. In case anyone doubts (recalling Robert Hall's recent comment that the Eurosport was "neither euro nor sporty") :
    • Ultimate performance sedan?   I liked these cars back in the day.  From the Celebrity to the 6000 to the Cutlass Ciera. The  Century a tad less.  But...As I was 10 years old then in 1983 and by the time I was 16 my dad bought an '86 Celebrity, I never was once fooled that these cars were all that different from each other and I certainly didnt think these cars were performance oriented... Who's eyes and ears was this ad meant for and who the phoque did it convince that a Pontiac 6000 was an ultimate performance sedan?   I get the whole 1980's was crap for performance angle as I lived through it, and I know I diss BMWs of this era a lot and I KNOW that even at only 130HP for a family sedan then was some sort of a big number, especially at that price point...but a 6000, or any of its platform mates never had a hint of performance.  It accelerated alright with that 2.8V6, but as far as Im concerned,  alright acceleration does not equate to ultimate performance... It rode like great family hauler should.  It was a very comfortable ride with some awesome for the time electronic wizardry in its interior  that only higher priced cars had...but again, that does NOT equate to ultimate performance sedan. Im a little confused with that statement that dude made.
    • Still working on this list- pecking at it here & again. Still finding new-to-me dealers. Current numbers are approximately : 4400 coded Pontiac dealers, 7800 total Pontiac dealers