Drew Dowdell

Update: Musk Out as Chairman of Tesla

Resigns as Chairman, pays $20 million in fines.

In a deal announced late Saturday between Tesla and the Securities and Exchange Commission,  Elon Musk will be stepping down as Chairman of Tesla Motors and barred from holding that position for 3 years. Additionally, Musk and Tesla will pay $20 million in fines each.

As part of the settlement, Tesla will add two additional board members and more closely monitor Mr. Musk's public communications.

Neither Tesla nor Mr. Musk admit wrongdoing as part of this agreement.

The settlement comes as a surprise as apparently Musk had rejected a similar deal earlier this week.

The settlement stems from a lawsuit filed by the SEC against Musk and Tesla over an August 7th tweet by Mr. Musk that "funding is secured" to take Tesla private. Federal investigators found that the deal referred to in the tweet was still in the early stages and thus was considered deceptive to investors.

Update: Musk will stay on as CEO. Resigning only as Chairman of the Board.

Edited by Drew Dowdell

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Maybe this will hasten Tesla's demise.

Or possibly stanch the bleeding.  This will force the Board of Directors to get a real car guy that can right the ship and execute a plan. . . . . or at least find the right buyer.  If Tesla needs Elon Musk, then that is a real problem.

I feel like Elon likes to create a bit of a circus and this one back fired on him but I doubt he really cares either.  He is still the majority shareholder and can call the shots. And if he doesn’t get what he wants he’ll probably shut it down and move to Mars.

12 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I saw verification this morning ( I didn't have it last night) that Musk is staying on as CEO, just not as Chairman of the Board.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

New Chairman hopefully will be a real business man and auto person who can take Tesla in the right direction. It also could end up calling for Musk's Head and new CEO to make it happen.

Does not matter that he is the majority stock owner. CEOs still have to answer to the board!

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Good..hoping he will keep his mouth shut so they can actually sell cars......

Yes it would be good for him to focus on growing the business by building quality EVs and selling them.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:51 PM, dfelt said:

Problem is the board has a lot of people friendly to Elon, including his brother.

55 minutes ago, William Maley said:

Hi Brother should be out also, that is a big problem having to many family members on the board.

On 9/29/2018 at 7:53 PM, ocnblu said:

Maybe this will hasten Tesla's demise.

Given their cash flow....they won't need this. They are pretty much doomed to fail at any rate.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:54 PM, riviera74 said:

Quoted for truth.

• By David
      According to an interview done by Steve Fowler at Auto Express UK, Thierry Bollore the new CEO of Jaguar Land Rover is considering taking Jaguar pure EV to be a Tesla / Polestar competitor and would start with the new Baby Jaguar concept they built. This is a Tesla 3 sized luxury 4 door sedan.

This comes after so many stories about the Flagship XJ EV being postponed as they focus on ICE auto's. Jaguar has confirmed that due to the success of their i-Pace CUV, they are moving forward with delivery of the XJ EV in 2021.
      Castle Bromwich will be home to all electric auto's that they make including the Road biased Range Rover EV. This comes after sales of the Jaguar XE dropped 28% in 2019. As such, the board with new CEO leadership feels it needs to aggressively move to an all new replacement of the XE with this all electric baby Jaguar.
      Jaguar management is also closely watching Polestar and especially their Polestar 2 EV.
      The all new MLA EV platform would allow replacements of the E-Pace and F-Pace to be a priority once the XE and XJ are launched.
      Jaguar according to the story is on pace to launch plug-in hybrids of the E & F Pace that will get a facelift along with a move to a Hybrid as a stop gap measure till they are replaced with EVs.
      There are also talks of a smaller electric Jaguar as Jaguar has signed letters of agreement to work with BMW on a electric version of the BMW 1 & 2 series that will go electric and this would bring in a much smaller footprint Jaguar below the XE and i-Pace.
      A big question is that the F-Type sports car while being considered a must by some executives on the Board could fall to the history bin as it only sold 6,000 in the last financial year globally making it the second worst performing auto in their portfolio behind the XJ which will come out next year in the dramatic clean sheet design.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Tesla Model 3 nearly broke into the top 10 best selling vehicles in Europe for September 2019, missing the mark by just 217 units.  Overall, sales growth in the EU is strong with 14 markets reporting positive numbers.  Germany came in at 9.1 percent and Italy came in at 6.5 percent.  Battery electric vehicles were up sharply, increasing 119 percent, of which Tesla controlled nearly 50% of that number.  Total Tesla registrations were 19,500 out of the 40,700 BEVs registered.  That put the Tesla Model 3 as the best selling BEV in Europe.
      For September, the Volkwagen Golf was the best selling vehicle in Europe with 32,398 units registered.
      Tesla shares jumped 18 percent yesterday after a surprise profit for Q3 of $1.86 per share, up from an expected loss of 42 cents per share.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Anthony Fongaro
      EV-curious. That’s what I would call myself. Someone that is interested in EVs but just hasn’t found the right one. There are many aspects of an EV that is appealing to me. Instant torque, quick acceleration, the ability to charge at your house or apartment, and the continuation of creating semi-autonomous driving. It’s all so exciting! I’m ready to go out and trade in my 2016 Volkswagen GTI for one now! Or am I? Let’s take a quick look at a small field of electric vehicles, starting with the brand new 2020 Porsche Taycan.
      The release of the 2020 Porsche Taycan is a feat in and of itself. The car itself is downright sexy, is has a handsome interior, and performance that is pure Porsche. Over 700 HP for the Turbo S model is impressive. It also costs what you would expect an electric super-Porsche would be since the range topping Taycans are coming out first. These are the Turbo and Turbo S which cost over $150,000. After these come onto the market, less expensive and less powerful versions will come. Would this be the car that I will buy? Sure, once I get that CMO position at a major company. This is a dream electric car, but not one that I would consider just yet.
      What about an attainable electric car? There are a few on the market that cover the bases. Vehicles like the Hyundai Kona Electric, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, and others have good to respectable range, decent features, and are not the most expensive vehicles. Average prices of $40,000-$45,000 is a bit steep, but electric cars usually command a premium over gasoline vehicles. They also have good driving aids such as blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control, something that my current car has and is top priority for me. They’re all very good cars but with flaws such as build quality and designs that keep me from considering one. My problem is simple: performance. Electric cars have instant torque at 0 RPM and can be extremely fast. These EVs just don’t cut the mustard for me since they are more about range than blistering speed. For around $45,000, I can get a gas-powered car such as a Genesis G70 3.3T that is faster, has better range, and the safety features I want. Let’s continue from good electric vehicles to “the best”.
      Right now, you are probably thinking: “Anthony, you are forgetting the king of electric vehicles. They are synonymous with electric cars and have a huge cult following.” Guess who that is? Yes, that is of course Tesla. You can’t write about electric cars without talking about Tesla. They are a very S 3 X Y R brand indeed. The Model S introduced expensive but seriously quick electric vehicles. The X brought us an odd but much-needed crossover. The 3 is the bread-and-butter maker with a starting price around $40,000, and acceleration that beats almost all vehicles in its class. The Y hasn’t come out yet but is a crossover version of the 3, and the Roadster is a $250,000 supercar. Even though there are three models currently available, I will focus on the Model 3 Performance since that is the one I am most interested in.
      There is a lot to like about the Model 3 Performance. It has “performance” in its name and with 450 HP, it is one of the quickest sedans I’ve ever driven. The instant torque from the motors is intoxicating and it handles well for a heavy vehicle. Does it tick all the boxes to convert to a Tesla-fanatic? No. Why? The interior. I am not a fan of controlling absolutely everything with a touchscreen and not having my speedometer in front of me.
      The Model 3 Performance can have semi-autonomous driving, but it is a $7,000 option. Tesla’s Autopilot driver-assist system is standard and is regarded to be one of the best, if not the best driver-assist system. Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3 vehicles and it is a genuinely amazing feat for a young company. The range is good at over 310 miles. Pricing starts at $55,000 and is fully-loaded around $64,000. If you are okay with the minimal interior and styling, get yourself a Model 3. I personally am not a fan of either of those, so onward we go.
      This brings me to a car I am waiting for: The Polestar 2 fastback. Polestar used to be a sub-division of Volvo, like AMG is to Mercedes-Benz. You can still get Polestar-tune Volvos, but Polestar has branched out into their own brand. The Polestar 2 is their first all-electric car. It has over 250 miles of range, 400 HP, and most import to me, gauges that are straight in front of the driver. The design is bold yet looks like an even more modern version of a Volvo. Since Polestar is a sporty company, the performance upgrades include upgraded shocks, brakes, and bigger wheels with Swedish gold seat belts. You get this package mainly for the gold seat belts. Is it pricey at over $60,000? Yes, but it feels justified for the 408 hp and range of 275 miles. 0-60 is said to be around 4.7 seconds but I suspect it will be lower. Will they sell Tesla Model 3 numbers of them? I highly doubt it since they area new brand, but it should be a great competitor to the Tesla Model 3.
      I like the concept of electric vehicles. I know that one day, there will be one charging at my house. Am I ready for an electric car? Yes. Is there any on the market that jumps out at me and gives me the satisfaction I have for my current car at a reasonable price of around $40,000 new? No.
      Do not get me wrong; there are electric cars that make sense for a multitude of situations. Range and charging are getting better, more features are getting added, and manufacturers are creating electric-only ranges of vehicles that will bring down the costs of more performance-oriented vehicles. I can go in-depth about certain electric cars in a future article. For now, I think I will keep my car and wait until something really catches my eye. That, or wait a few years and hope the Porsche Taycan depreciates enough that I can buy one.

• By Anthony Fongaro

• FWIW, every new home built in California requires solar panels. It started this year. It's a great start, at least.
    • Little do you know, I run strictly off of solar energy.
    • VW showed off their production electric EV CUV. AWD with 250 mile battery pack will start at $44,890. Their RWD model is available starting Q1 2021, Q3 2021 is when the AWD model will go on sale at VW dealerships. VW says they will have about 160,000 available $7,500 tax credits when this goes on sale to help lower the price. RWD is 201HP, AWD is 302 HP, 0 to 60 in 8 seconds, will compete with the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129702_2021-vw-id-4-250-mile-electric-suv-starts-at-41490   ID.4 Pro
    • Saw one of these at the dealership while the Flex was being serviced.   Vanderhall Carmel (Autocycle). It’s like an Aerial Atom had a drunken baby with a Polaris Slingshot.
    • Yeah, I haven't been in a Dunkin or Tim's in years...I occasionally leave the house and go through the drive thru at Dunkin..   in the before time, my favorite get of the house and enjoy a breakfast place is Bruegger's Bagels...a large coffee and an everything bagel w/ bacon, egg and cheese was a favorite going back 20+ years--used to go to one in Colorado Springs, Denver, Phoenix, and now here.   When I was at MCI/Worldcom back in the late 90s, had a coworker that I used to meet up with at 6am at Brueggers once a week for breakfast..  I miss the simple pleasures of the before time.