Drew Dowdell

Volkwagen Arteon Price Starts at $35,845*

... better late than never.

The Volkswagen Arteon is taking the scenic route to the US with a delayed launch brought on by some delays in getting its engine certified for the US.  The US version of the Arteon debuted at the Chicago Auto Show in 2018 and we recently reported that the Arteon would finally go on sale sometime in early summer.

Volkswagen has announced pricing for the U.S. model will start at $35,845 plus $995 destination charge for the base SE front-wheel-drive model and $37,645 for all-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is available on all trims, generally costing about $2,000 for the upgrade.

Arteon SE comes with heated 12-way power seats with faux leather, three-zone automatic climate control, rain sensing wipers, and an 8.0 inch diagonal infotainment screen including Android Auto and Apple Car Play. 18" alloy wheels and LED headlights are standard.

Arteon SEL starts at $39,995 for FWD and $41,795 for 4Motion AWD. It adds adaptive front lighting, panoramic sunroof, remote start, Napa leather seats, driver seat memory, ambient lighting, navigation, a 12.3 inch digital cockpit systems, and adaptive cruise control.

Arteon SEL Premium starts at $44,945 and features standard 4motion, heated steering wheel, paddle shifters, ventilated front seats, massaging driver’s seat, heated rear seats, brushed aluminum, tri-color ambient lighting, and a 700-watt premium audio system with 12 speakers.

The R-Line Package is available on any trim level and includes 19-inch alloy wheels for $1,265 or 20-inch alloy wheels for $1,765

Source: Volkswagen Media

Or get an A4 for the same money just about.

Seems like a smaller car though

Seems like a smaller car though

Like 185 inches to 191 I think, not that big a difference. I think one being an Audi and one a VW matters more.  Or a Stinger is about $5k less than the Arteon and the same size.

A bit ambitious on price.  It does not come in stripped version though.  And the Passat is so old and drab, even refreshed, you only want the Passat if you want a cheap car now.  The Arteon is way nicer and so that alone is worth asking the extra money for.  A bit flabby on the flanks, i am getting used to the look though.

Edited by regfootball

It's nice, I like it, but I don't understand the point of the Passat with this?

I like as it was said earlier, the base isn't stripped clean of features.  I'm surprised there's no mention of safety features such as blind spot monitoring or lane departure warning.

43 minutes ago, Paolino said:

Having viewed various videos of these systems, I find it very hard to believe people would actually ask for them.

3 hours ago, Paolino said:

It's nice, I like it, but I don't understand the point of the Passat with this?

This is the car above the Passat.  Not in size, but in amenities.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

I used blind spot monitoring a lot in the Escalade Rental I just had. Absolutely needed... I lost an entire 4Runner in the blind spot of that thing.

My target was actually lane departure warning. If you find this beneficial, you should not be behind the wheel.

I like Lane assist where is actually nudges you back in line.

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Being that I live in an area with frequent traffic it's nice to just look at a little light on your side mirror to know you can't merge that second, than to constantly flip your head to check the blind spot only to find out you can't do anything.  It keeps your eyes facing forward and as someone who occasionally wakes up with a stiff neck, it's a pleasure.

Well, perhaps the warning might make it obvious for someone to think they should stop being behind the wheel.  But face it, the people who shouldn't be behind the wheel, are often behind the wheel, so things like this could help them drive safer.

5 hours ago, Paolino said:

The couple systems I watched videos on with lane departure warning, the systems read the reflectors in the roadway ahead and beeped at you if you crossed that line. They weren't demonstrating approaching traffic from the rear, only car positioning looking forward.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Volkswagen is introducing a new generation of diesel engines with the 2.0 TDI Evo. This new engine is said to greatly undercut the limits of the tough new Euro 6d-Temp emissions standards. Volkwagen posted an interview with Sebastian Willmann, the Head of Diesel Engine Development at Volkswagen. In that interview he says that VW was able to reduce fuel consumption by 0.4 L/100km compared to the previous engine and reduce CO2 emissions by 10g/km.  They did both of these things while also increasing power output.
      He further went on to explain that while there is a stigma surrounding diesel engines because of dieselgate, the diesel is still quite popular for its efficiency, range, and torque. Now, with this new engine, it is also substantially cleaner compared to prior engines.  He says that diesels will remain especially effective for vehicles that require a longer range or extra torque for towing.
      These statements are in contrast to the direction that VW as a whole is taking in the segment of electric vehicles.  VW has committed billions of euros to the development of an entire EV range.  The first EV, the ID.3 is expected in Europe in early 2020 with top line models having a range of 342 miles on a charge. Reservations of the Volkswagen ID.3 topped 10,000 in its first 24 hours it was available.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevy released the pricing information on the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray today, keeping its promise of a sub-$60k price.  Pricing rings up at $59,995 including destination charge for the 1LT trim.  The Corvette comes standard with an eight-speed dual clutch transmission and an engine mounted dry sump oil system.
      The 2LT  will start at $67,295 and adds things like a full color heads-up display, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, performance data recorder, navigation,  side blind zone alert, and rear cross traffic alert.
      The 3LT will start at $71,945, and builds on the 2LT with GT2 Seating with Napa and Mulan leather, custom leather-wrapped interior, suede-wrapped upper interior trim, and leather wrapped door panels.
      The price of the Z51 Performance package remains the same at $5,000 and includes performance exhaust, performance suspension, electronic limited-slip differential, front air splitter, rear spoiler, larger brakes with Brembo four-piston calipers, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires, and an enhanced cooling system.
      Customers can forgo the Z51 package and still get the performance exhaust for $1,195. This will boost the performance of the LT2 engine to 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque.  The front suspension lift system is optional on 2LT and 3LT trims for $1,495.
      Customers will be able to personalize their Corvette with 12 different exterior colors, 6 interior color themes, six seat belt colors, two stitching packages, and three seat choices.
      Capable of a top speed of 194 MPH on the track, the Corvette goes into production in Bowling Green, KY later in 2019.

• Really?  You just don't get it.
    • Yeah,  I couldn't imagine buying a vehicle without actually seeing it in person or test driving it.   When I bought my CPO JGC in 2017,  I did a bunch of research online and checked the inventories of the various dealers around Phoenix and zeroed in on a specific vehicle that had the right equipment/mileage/price combo that I was looking for.  Didn't seriously consider any other brands.   Then I went to the dealer on a Friday afternoon and asked to see and test drive that specific vehicle.      I was time bound in some sense in that I was in the midst of moving to Ohio and my old Jeep was dying, so I moved pretty quickly.  A lot of people buy used cars on eBay and other sites and have them shipped to them, haven't tried that yet, not sure if I would.
    • So true and it made the Auto Shows more relevant as you actually would go to see the new releases and check them out. Now it is just a single stop sales athon mess. I will say having the autos on hand to test drive is much better than in the past. One thing I have never gotten is those that refuse to even go to a dealership to test drive and check out the auto, do 100% online even the purchase and wait for the dealership to come to them to drop off the auto and then they bitch about the auto when they could have saved buyers remorse by getting off their ass and into the dealership. I DO NOT feel sorry for such lazy people.
    • Then here’s some classic rock for ya’. From one of my top ten all time favorite albums.      Also in my top ten.