Holden Efijy Concept!

Guest Josh

A wild 21st Century hot rod reincarnating Australia’s most famous car, the FJ Holden, was unveiled today at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney. EFIJY is a radical pillarless custom coupe boasting V8 Supercar power under the bonnet, Chevrolet Corvette underbody and state-of-the-art automotive technology throughout. The ‘Soprano Purple’ paintwork highlights its curvaceous 5.2-metre body, reinterpreting the classic design cues of the iconic 1953 FJ Holden. It delivers retro, mumbo and gizmos in one glorious package. Obviously not intended for production, EFIJY has been a passionate side project for some Holden Design team members otherwise dedicated to creating the all-new 2006 Commodore. A long-term dream for Chief Designer Richard Ferlazzo, EFIJY brought together almost 20 suppliers to highlight the latest in mechanical, electronic and material products and ideas. Automotive excess pounds through a 480-kilowatt, supercharged six-litre V8 engine and airadjustable shock absorbers through to a touch control LCD screen and fan-cooled LED headlamps. GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, today said the EFIJY project was a bold statement on the creative talent available within Holden’s design ranks. Mr Mooney said the project was developed as a collaboration with suppliers which reduced impact on the company’s heavy work schedule and ensured the highest possible quality result for the showcar. “EFIJY is all about fun, emotion and imagination. It shows what a bunch of clever and talented design people can do when they are let loose to create something really wild,” Mr Mooney said. “This year was a fantastic opportunity for us to create something which highlights our designers’ ability and versatility. “EFIJY is sure to evoke different memories for everyone who sees it. People might focus on the FJ links, the glorious custom coupes of the 1930s or the great design flair of the 1950s.” Dimensions · Length: 5162mm Width: 1999mm · Height – drive setting: 1386mm Height – show setting: 1274mm · Ground clearance - drive: 139mm Ground clearance - show: 27mm · Track front: 1640mm Track rear: 1660mm · Wheelbase: 2946mm Powertrain · Engine: GM 6.0-litre, LS2 aluminium V8 with Roots-type supercharger · Bore and stroke: 101.6 mm x 92.0 mm · Compression ratio: 10.9:1

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Sydney Morning Herald Story

Holden hot-rod
By Joshua Dowling
October 13, 2005 - 12:47PM

Holden unveils its wildest concept car ever - the Efijy.

Holden today unveiled its wildest concept car ever: a hot-rod version of the famous 1953 FJ, with more power than a V8 Supercar.

Holden has been surprising the media and public at the Sydney motor show since it unveiled the Commodore coupe in 1998.

Unlike that car and the many concepts that followed, this vehicle - called the Efijy, a play on Efigy - is not destined for production.

The Efijy was originally going to be built to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the FJ in 2003 but was delayed by other projects. It is powered by a supercharged 6.0-litre HSV engine. With 480kW of power and 775Nm of torque it is almost 11 times more powerful than the 45kW (60 horsepower) engine in the 1953 FJ Holden.

The show car is almost as long as a Statesman, as wide as a Hummer and yet has a lower roofline than a Monaro. It is capable of being driven but only at low speeds at this stage, because the Soprano Purple bodywork is made from fibreglass.

The car was built relatively cheaply for $200,000 because about 20 suppliers and designers donated time, parts and expertise. If it were to be built again from scratch - and if the parts and labour had to be paid for - Holden estimates it would cost $1.5 million. Edited by SoCalCTS

hmm....blue devil motor, anyone?

[post="28318"][/post]

I suspect that the engine is not a preview of the "Blue Devil" configuration. Judging by appearances, the supercharger setup is based on one of Harrop Engineering's Stealth LS112 supercharger packages.

Posted Image

EDIT: Examination of high resolution images of the Efijy engine compartment reveals that the supercharger installation is indeed based on an Australian designed Harrop LS112 package.

Posted Image

That rear is ridiculously long. Jim Mateja would have a cow over the "rear end droop" on that one. I don't really like it much. The rear is just too long and low, and the interior doesn't do much for me. I'd LIKE to like the interior, but the guages look too much like the new Civic's for my liking. The bright red START button is a bit tacky as well.

I'd LIKE to like the interior, but the guages look too much like the new Civic's for my liking.  The bright red START button is a bit tacky as well.

[post="28365"][/post]

Posted ImagePosted Image

I agree that the red Start button is a little tacky but I see no resemblance between this car and Honda in any way!

Posted ImagePosted Image

I want that car----------(((((NOW!!!)))))-----------Build it NOW and bring it over here as a BUICK BLACKHAWK--------((((((((((NOW!!!!)))))))))) :o  :D  :wub:

[post="28480"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Considering that the 1948-53 Holden 48-215 (aka FX) and the 1953-56 Holden FJ that the Efijy is based on had strong Buick influences, it's no surprise that you would see it as a Buick.

There's no reason that a toned down production version couldn't be manufactured GM. Essentially it's just a lengthened C6 Vette chassis and drive line clothed with a custom fiberglass body.

Just to clear up why there is a "drive" and "show" height - it has a working "low-rider" air suspension demonstrated for the media. Although this is purely a flight of fancy, Denny Mooney several times during the day said that someone really ought to do a new vehicle inspired by this era. Edited by thegriffon

:omfg: :metal:

Considering that the 1948-53 Holden 48-215 (aka FX) and the 1953-56 Holden FJ that the Efijy is based on had strong Buick influences, it's no surprise that you would see it as a Buick.

There's no reason that a toned down production version couldn't be manufactured GM. Essentially it's just a lengthened C6 Vette chassis and drive line clothed with a custom fiberglass body.

[post="28498"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Blackhawk was my first thought when seeing this.. infact... I think I may like this more :bowdown:

Oh my freekin God. I think I just shat myself. :blink: :wub: This is without a doubt the coolest concept car of the 21st Century. It fu&$ing takes the cake, french kisses the trophy girl while grabbing her ass and flippes the bird at the competition. I WANT ONE!!! Like I said... Coolest concept of the 21st century. So far anyway.

• 6 months later...

There are stories circulating that the Efijy is soon to hit the US Auto Show circuit.

[post="122816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Man, I would love that. It should go on tour with the Blackhawk. This car is just so cool makes you wonder where the talent goes when the manufacturers do "production intent" showcars. I still like the Blackhawk more, but the Efijy is very sweet as well. :thumbsup: