The Last Monaro is not a Monaro

Last Monaro Auction thread

This was the last Holden Monaro.

Posted Image

...or not

Link to full article @ Drive.com.au

The real last Monaro

Joshua Dowling, The Sydney Morning Herald, 07/07/06

No fanfare, no speeches, not even a cake. Just a couple of happy snaps and a pat on the back from some factory workers. Meet the last coupe. By JOSHUA DOWLING.

Posted Image

The last Holden Monaro

Holden has built its last Monaro and the historic two-door coupe has been exported to the United States badged as a Pontiac GTO.

Earlier this year, Holden auctioned the last coupe to wear a Monaro badge and a Queensland Ford collector paid $187,900 for the car. The proceeds went to charity.

However, after the last Monaro-badged vehicle was made, Holden's Adelaide factory continued to build the two-door coupe in various guises until 9.37pm on June 14. The cars were exported as a batch of Pontiac GTOs a few days later. The final vehicle was the 40,808th Pontiac GTO built.

Unlike the fanfare surrounding the last Monaro, which was unveiled at the Melbourne motor show and featured in the mainstream media, Holden's final coupe rolled off the production line with no fanfare; a group of nightshift workers gathered around the car and one of their colleagues snapped these photos. They are the only official Holden memories of the car and it is expected that the red coupe will be sold as if it were any other Pontiac GTO.

The owner of the last Monaro says he is still happy with his purchase. "Mine is still the last Monaro," Darryl Mattingley told Drive this week. The Ford collector from Emerald in central Queensland and his wife, Shelly, bought the CV8-Z as a collectors' piece. He has no plans to sell the car and is yet to drive it as it is unregistered.

Mattingley denied rumours he was going to sue Holden following media reports it may re-introduce a Monaro with future Commodore models.

"Holden may make another Monaro one day, but that doesn't take anything away from the exclusivity of my car. I know what I bought and until Holden builds another Monaro, it's all just hearsay."

Mattingley starts his Monaro once a month to maintain the fluids and seals. He also has five rare Ford GTs among his collection.

Meanwhile, Holden's performance-car division, Holden Special Vehicles, plans a special edition to commemorate its version of the Holden coupe. HSV is said to be considering building a final batch of between 50 and 100 GTO coupes (not to be confused with the Pontiac GTO coupe). Each will be individually numbered.

Posted Image

Holden held an auction for its last Monaro, but it is understood the last HSV GTO coupe may be given away in a competition.

Holden is to confirm there will be a second generation of Commodore-based Monaro. If it is built, it may be assembled in the US, given the majority of the coupes were sold there.

If it goes ahead, the next-generation Monaro could be imported from the US and would be in Australia by 2008 at the earliest.

BLOB images of thinly disguised VE Commodores continue to flood the internet. Drive's website has the first video footage of the car and it seems the HSV Clubsport has been caught for the first time.

The car in the Drive video is wearing more disguise than previous Commodore test cars and appears to have larger, possibly 20-inch wheels and larger vents in the front fenders, two key HSV cues.

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile, Holden's performance-car division, Holden Special Vehicles, plans a special edition to commemorate its version of the Holden coupe. HSV is said to be considering building a final batch of between 50 and 100 GTO coupes (not to be confused with the Pontiac GTO coupe). Each will be individually numbered.

Does anyone know what they meant by this? Aren't GTO coupes the same as Pontiac GTO coupes?

I also thought the GTO was a very nice car, looks & all. I heard people complain that it looked like the Cavalier, and I can see some styling simmilarities, but not anywhere near mistaking one for the other, or anything that made the GTO look bad.

Now most of the "concept" GTO drawings I've seen in recent years - those tend to be horrendous.

I want one... BAD!

I just want a CTS-V a little bit more since getting my daughter in &

out of the back seat would be much easier with a 4 door. Please

God let the next gen. GTO be a hardtop... you know, no b-pillar. :D