MEDIA BIAS

I knew I shoudn't have read the Wheels section of the Star before I'd had my first drink of the day, but..............

Just because the Impala is selling well and has won praise from some members of the media, the Toronto Star had to publish something to drag it down. After all - now that GM is making money again, Toyota may have to cut back on its payments to Mark Richardson, the so-called editor of the Wheels section.

So today they printed a letter from one Robert Reid of Oshawa (some coincidence there, I think) who rented an Impala in California recently. Other than bitching about the mirrors being too small and other nitpicks, I will quote the section that made me hurl the paper against the wall:

"Next day we drove I80 to Lake Tahoe. Over the Donner Pass, the car was really struggling on the long grades. I tried to keep up with a Toyota Corolla but he was long gone as I climbed to the summit."

WTF??????????

And do you want the punchline? He pops the hood and discovers the 3.9 under the hood!!! He was in an LTZ! Do they even use those as rentals?

Is this guy high? Why would the Star even print this garbage, even if this a-hole does exist and even if he did actually write this letter. A Corolla? What a happy coincidence for the Star.

A 242 hp V-6 bested by a 118 hp 4 cylinder??? I"ve driven the Corolla and it can't even get out of its own way on a hill. Did Robert have 5 of his fat, white trailer trash family members in the Impala with him and a trunk full of lead? Was the Corolla driven by Twiggy herself?

What absolute garbage. This is the $h! that we deal with up here, right in the back door of GM in Oshawa. If I was in charge of marketing in Oshawa, I would yank every f'ng ad out of this rag and NEVER advertise there again.

I feel dirty just handling the Wheels section. Gotta go now and have a shower.

Did the Corolla in question have a double-deck spoiler, VVT stickers, a TRD badge, and patchy yellow paint, cause that's like 150hp added right there.

Seriously, its not media bias as much as it lame writing. I never take newspaper car review seriously anyway because most either bitch at everything or just regurgitate the manufacturer's specs.

Seriously, its not media bias as much as it lame writing. I never take newspaper car review seriously anyway because most either bitch at everything or just regurgitate the manufacturer's specs.

172904[/snapback]

Exactly. They can't be bothered, a la MSN autos.

Just check this weeks review of the Cobalt SS in Autoweek this week.

Two different drivers and to opinions 180 degrees apart.

The one guy claimed it had no power and the other told him he needs to step on the gas.

With the media we have today it is required that people stay informed on their own merits.

When 75% of most Americans can't tell you where a dipstick is on their car how can we expect them to know the truth on quality cars. There brains are programed for garbage in and garbage out.

Know we know why Opra is so well liked, she is doing the thinking for Millions!

90% of auto journalists write about cars because they can't even control their own saliva or bladder.  did u see the latest MT?  they had a short write up on the G5, 'only available as a coupe'.  guess what picture they had....the sedan.  WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS.

172975[/snapback]

So if everyone around you are such morons, and you are so intelligent. Why don't you take over the auto journalism?

To you it's like a sin to write up anything bad about domestics, and anything good about imports.

I knew I shoudn't have read the Wheels section of the Star before I'd had my first drink of the day, but..............

Just because the Impala is selling well and has won praise from some members of the media, the Toronto Star had to publish something to drag it down.  After all - now that GM is making money again, Toyota may have to cut back on its payments to Mark Richardson, the so-called editor of the Wheels section.

So today they printed a letter from one Robert Reid of Oshawa (some coincidence there, I think) who rented an Impala in California recently.  Other than bitching about the mirrors being too small and other nitpicks, I will quote the section that made me hurl the paper against the wall:

"Next day we drove I80 to Lake Tahoe.  Over the Donner Pass, the car was really struggling on the long grades.  I tried to keep up with a Toyota Corolla but he was long gone as I climbed to the summit."

WTF??????????

And do you want the punchline?  He pops the hood and discovers the 3.9 under the hood!!!  He was in an LTZ! Do they even use those as rentals?

Is this guy high?  Why would the Star even print this garbage, even if this a-hole does exist and even if he did actually write this letter.  A Corolla?  What a happy coincidence for the Star.

A 242 hp V-6 bested by a 118 hp 4 cylinder???  I"ve driven the Corolla and it can't even get out of its own way on a hill.  Did Robert have 5 of his fat, white trailer trash family members in the Impala with him and  a trunk full of lead?  Was the Corolla driven by Twiggy herself?

What absolute garbage.  This is the $h! that we deal with up here, right in the back door of GM in Oshawa.  If I was in charge of marketing in Oshawa, I would yank every f'ng ad out of this rag and NEVER advertise there again.

172896[/snapback]

Dude, you need to get a life...

If you don't like it, pick up a copy of the Globe and Mail Wheels section...

So if everyone around you are such morons, and you are so intelligent.  Why don't you take over the auto journalism?

To you it's like a sin to write up anything bad about domestics, and anything good about imports.

172995[/snapback]

Umm... here's what he once wrote about his own Ford 500.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...?showtopic=9525

Cars always have their moments when they just piss you off. :lol:

I only like one Canadian Auto Journalist and that is Jim Kenzie. He is open minded even though he loves BMWs. I remember him praising the V8 Impala and the Grand Prix in 2004. I also like him because he bitches about Soccer moms picking up groceries in their 3500 8.1 Litre Crew cab Dually.

Cars always have their moments when they just piss you off.  :lol:

173005[/snapback]

my cars not perfect but its transportation. If i had the budget to drive something nicer with the utility i need I would. I'd love a BMW or CTS. At least I'm not driving a Civic. I'm not ricing around with my skateboard and PSP in tow all the time.

but here's the scoop. motor trend can't even put a picture of fricking G5 coupe for an article about a G5 coupe. when you claim to be professional journalists, then that sort of slop is inexcusable. what we all do here is blog and have conversations. at least Angus could spend some time proofreading what his staff does so they don't put a stupid G5 sedan picture in for an article about a G5 coupe.

Go back and read through Motor Trend's mail bag for like the first half of this year. Almost every month some reader is pointing out some bone headed mistake the morons at Motor Trend are making these days.

Edited by regfootball

The guys over at CanadianDriver aren't bad either. Their import loving guy liked the G6 'Vert.

173010[/snapback]

actually you are right there. Canadian Driver is one of my favorite sites. They are kid of soft on everything they review, but at least they don't write every review up with an Aura of pomposity that can only go matched in a Seattle or Portland coffee house.

James Healy is the best auto writer out there. He cuts no bull, and writes about relevant stuff.

Cars always have their moments when they just piss you off.  :lol:

173005[/snapback]

LOL, I'm glad you brought that up. i need my gripe list for my next trip to the dealer.

I've been on better terms with my car lately. The space is nice, very nice. Still, maybe i can swap it for an Edge with a 3.5 come fall. Or an 08 3.5 500 in spring. Otherwise Ford will be hard pressed to get my money ever again.

PolishKris, I suppose you actually BELIEVE a Corolla can beat an Impala LTZ on a hill? If so, I want the number of your drug dealer because you are smokin' good stuff! LOL

You don't have a problem with the largest newspaper in the country printing this sort of crap? I mean, even though you're a rice humper, you gotta laugh at the total BS of it all!

PolishKris, I suppose you actually BELIEVE a Corolla can beat an Impala LTZ on a hill?  If so, I want the number of your drug dealer because you are smokin' good stuff!  LOL

You don't have a problem with the largest newspaper in the country printing this sort of crap?  I mean, even though you're a rice humper, you gotta laugh at the total BS of it all!

173025[/snapback]

I know the Corolla is slow, especially in automatic form, cause I drove more than one. It is BS, but why are you making such a big deal out of this, you don't like it don't read it, are you scared that this article will convert people's purchasing decisions, and turn it away for an Impala, and lure one more person into an import? Come on man, grow up.

Oh, and Toyota does not pay reporters to write up good reviews about them, that is something that you and some other people made up on this board as an excuse to justify why the cars you hate are getting such good reviews, because YOU don't agree with them, get over it already, until the domestics begin making BETTER products that the imports, the reviews will not be better that the reviews given for the imports.

Major newspapers do everything by committee. The fact that the Star allowed this to go to print clearly indicates some sort of agenda. My grandmother would know that a Corolla is not going to beat an Impala on a hill, but the point is rather the agendas, if any, of some of the major press against the Big 2.5.

We see it all the time when they do a write up on a domestic that they actually like, they can't resist slamming it somewhere or at least pointing out that a Honda or Toyota choice would be better.

I am overly sensitive to this issue because I am growing increasingly concerned about the power the media holds on MOST issues. They no longer report the news, they create it.

And don't kid yourself, the same mindless saps that walk into a dealership clutching their beloved CR magazine WILL believe this BS.

There are a lot of those saps out there; otherwise, the Camry would not be the #1 selling car.

Ummmm...its a letter from a reader not, as far as I can tell, someone on the Toronto Star's staff. I would kind of understand being upset if it were a huge story on the front page of the auto section under the headline IMPALA SUCKS but its a two paragraph blurb that will have absolutely no bearing on anyone thinking about buying an Impala.

Just because the Impala is selling well and has won praise from some members of the media, the Toronto Star had to publish something to drag it down.  After all - now that GM is making money again, Toyota may have to cut back on its payments to Mark Richardson, the so-called editor of the Wheels section.

So today they printed a letter from one Robert Reid of Oshawa (some coincidence there, I think) who rented an Impala in California recently.  Other than bitching about the mirrors being too small and other nitpicks, I will quote the section that made me hurl the paper against the wall:

"Next day we drove I80 to Lake Tahoe.  Over the Donner Pass, the car was really struggling on the long grades.  I tried to keep up with a Toyota Corolla but he was long gone as I climbed to the summit."

WTF??????????

And do you want the punchline?  He pops the hood and discovers the 3.9 under the hood!!!  He was in an LTZ! Do they even use those as rentals?

Is this guy high?  Why would the Star even print this garbage, even if this a-hole does exist and even if he did actually write this letter.  A Corolla?  What a happy coincidence for the Star.

A 242 hp V-6 bested by a 118 hp 4 cylinder???  I"ve driven the Corolla and it can't even get out of its own way on a hill.  Did Robert have 5 of his fat, white trailer trash family members in the Impala with him and  a trunk full of lead?  Was the Corolla driven by Twiggy herself?

What absolute garbage.  This is the $h! that we deal with up here, right in the back door of GM in Oshawa.  If I was in charge of marketing in Oshawa, I would yank every f'ng ad out of this rag and NEVER advertise there again.

172896[/snapback]

<groan> Where do I start?

:banghead:

First of all, yeah....LTZs are in rental service. I had one in Las Vegas with the 3.9L.

Secondly, nah.....I don't believe that the Impala was that sluggish over the pass....and that a Corolla would outrun it....that DOES sound like hyperbole from the writer.

HOWEVER, I want to put this thing to bed about how everyone claims the Corolla is a rolling turd....

It's not the fastest thing around, but the 130hp motor (not 118 as you stated) is actually quite quick when teamed with a manual transmission....prompting these words from C&D in their comparison tests of economy sedans....

"....and boy is the motor strong. The Corolla showed its taillights to all the rest in the acceleration tests."

They also called it an "excellent combination of performance and fuel economy.

I believe the 0-60 was in the low-8sec range. The XRS does it in the low-7sec range.

Just wanted to add some clarification.

There are a lot of those saps out there; otherwise, the Camry would not be the #1 selling car.

173341[/snapback]

#1 Best-Selling car?

Gee.....could it be, just MAYBE, just MAYBE, that the Camry is a well-engineered and well-executed product?

(Note....you didn't see me say "exciting...")

First of all, we are both wrong: the hp rating is 126 and 122 lb ft torque. I guess 118 must have been last year. In any event, we have no way of knowing whether it was a manual tranny (doubtful since most are sold with automatics) or not.

Secondly, I don't see how climbing a steep hill has anything to do with automatic versus manual. This wasn't a race. Two cars were climbing a hill and the man claimed the Impala could't catch the Corolla.

The point is that the entire idea of a Corolla outdistancing an Impala LTZ on a hill is so preposterous that the letter shouldn't even have been printed, EXCEPT that it serves the agenda of the Toronto Star.

Obviously, if this was the only incidence there would be no reason for my "over reaction;" however, the Star has been so outrageous over the years that Bob Lutz himself challenged them to a duel 3 years ago when the Star trashed the Grand Prix so badly that someone in Detroit heard about it. The resulting 2 full page retraction that the paper was forced to print was a thing to behold.

Unfortunately, it hasn't deterred the editorial team of theWheels section.

Probably because their check from Toyota depends on it.

First of all, we are both wrong: the hp rating is 126 and 122 lb ft torque.  I guess 118 must have been last year.  In any event, we have no way of knowing whether it was a manual tranny (doubtful since most are sold with automatics) or not.

Secondly, I don't see how climbing a steep hill has anything to do with automatic versus manual.  This wasn't a race.  Two cars were climbing a hill and the man claimed the Impala could't catch the Corolla.

The point is that the entire idea of a Corolla outdistancing an Impala LTZ on a hill is so preposterous that the letter shouldn't even have been printed, EXCEPT that it serves the agenda of the Toronto Star.

Obviously, if this was the only incidence there would be no reason for my "over reaction;" however, the Star has been so outrageous over the years that Bob Lutz himself challenged them to a duel 3 years ago when the Star trashed the Grand Prix so badly that someone in Detroit heard about it.  The resulting 2 full page retraction that the paper was forced to print was a thing to behold.

173946[/snapback]

Who cares? Who reads that s&%t anyway?

Boo figgin' hoo...the Toronto Star, the top of the auto-press heap, is saying 'bad' things via a letter writing proxy! How dare they!

C'mon man, you've just given that letter more legitimacy than it ever had on its own...

Media Bias, my butt. Build better cars (see 'vette, Solstice, GMT-900 reviews) and, magically, the reviews get better!

my prizm with a 120+/- hp 1.8 l toyota motor which has gone essentially unchanged since i owned mine.....and is now in a heavier car

was gutless at freeway speeds. yes, i had a stick. it was 'peppy' in town but no way i would trust it on hills or above 50 mph.

the toyota 1.8 is not adequate for all around driving.

my prizm with a 120+/- hp 1.8 l toyota motor which has gone essentially unchanged since i owned mine.....and is now in a heavier car

was gutless at freeway speeds.  yes, i had a stick.  it was 'peppy' in town but no way i would trust it on hills or above 50 mph.

the toyota 1.8 is not adequate for all around driving.

173986[/snapback]

I had a 2000 Corolla VE (3 speed auto). It was fine and far from gutless on the highway...I'm not claiming it will blow away an Impala, but it was just fine (and buzzy) at speed.

Let's at least not lie outright....I mean, I would have taken your statement at face value...except I owned a Corolla with a 1.8.

The power was more than adequate...the handling (on 175/13's) and lack of features sucked, but the power was just fine....

I had a 2000 Corolla VE (3 speed auto). It was fine and far from gutless on the highway...I'm not claiming it will blow away an Impala, but it was just fine (and buzzy) at speed.

Let's at least not lie outright....I mean, I would have taken your statement at face value...except I owned a Corolla with a 1.8.

The power was more than adequate...the handling (on 175/13's) and lack of features sucked, but the power was just fine....

175082[/snapback]

its dangerous on the freeway at 70+

First of all, we are both wrong: the hp rating is 126 and 122 lb ft torque.  I guess 118 must have been last year.  In any event, we have no way of knowing whether it was a manual tranny (doubtful since most are sold with automatics) or not.

Secondly, I don't see how climbing a steep hill has anything to do with automatic versus manual.  This wasn't a race.  Two cars were climbing a hill and the man claimed the Impala could't catch the Corolla.

Obviously, if this was the only incidence there would be no reason for my "over reaction;" however, the Star has been so outrageous over the years that Bob Lutz himself challenged them to a duel 3 years ago when the Star trashed the Grand Prix so badly that someone in Detroit heard about it.  The resulting 2 full page retraction that the paper was forced to print was a thing to behold.

173946[/snapback]

first of all, i read that letter and while i think you've over-reacted a bit, I'm not sure why it was printed as it was a pretty heavy slam on the Impala, (unjustified and unlikely in my opinion.) - (by the way, i believe that Kenzie gave the Impala a pretty nice review. 'best family car value on the road' if i recall correctly)

secondly, you're also exaggerating that Grand Prix vs Maxima story as well. kenzie didn't bash the car, he said that while he was driving the GP (with richardson riding shotgun) and he hit the brakes for a missed turn the car went all squirley on him. that piece of info made it to lutz and, so the story goes, lutz ran into kenzie and told him to bring a car of his choice to the lutzring for a head to head with the GP. kenzie chose the Maxima and drove it to detroit from TO. they did some laps and other stuff, but in a braking test where the drivers were to yank the sterring wheel to one side while stopping on gravel (or somehting like that) the GP was controllable while the maxima was totally out of control. (something to do with ABS blah blah). kenzie went on the praise the GP, but suggested that it was going to be hard for GM to get import buyers, specifically maxima buyers to consider the GP.

it was not a 'retraction'. so let's not dramatize this. by the way, kenzie is freelance as far as i know and sells articles to the star and doesn't give a &#036;h&#33; about ad. dollars. and by the way, kenzie never retracted what he/richardson experienced on that initial road test .

sidenote- lutz was the better driver that day (at 70someting) and kenzie is no slouch behind the wheel having won the Targa Nfld (i believe). lutz arrived in his helicopter and later that day was going to go for a ride in his hyabusa(or however that rocket on wheels is spelled)

#1 Best-Selling car?

Gee.....could it be, just MAYBE, just MAYBE, that the Camry is a well-engineered and well-executed product?

(Note....you didn't see me say "exciting...")

173920[/snapback]

No of course not, it's all based on looks with some people...

90% of auto journalists write about cars because they can't even control their own saliva or bladder.  did u see the latest MT?  they had a short write up on the G5, 'only available as a coupe'.  guess what picture they had....the sedan.  WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS.

172975[/snapback]

I knew it, I'm surrounded by a$$holes. Keep firing a$$holes!!!! :lol:

anywho... i tend to side with CARBIZ on this. the media just nitpicks their way through any american made car while accidently over looking the shortcomings of toyota.

Edited by GEESIXER

Yes Kenzie is fair and even pro GM often.

I think CARBIZs point is that a letter that is as stupid as this would get printed in the first place. It gives the impression that an Impala could not keep up with a Corolla. Maybe the Corolla driver was flooring it through the mountains while the Impala driver didn't know how to drive and was only booting it when he was half way up the hills so he thought couldn't keep up with a Corolla. :stupid:

Yes Kenzie is fair and even pro GM often.

I think CARBIZs point is that a letter that is as stupid as this would get printed in the first place. It gives the impression that an Impala could not keep up with a Corolla. Maybe the Corolla driver was flooring it through the mountains while the Impala driver didn't know how to drive and was only booting it when he was half way up the hills so he thought couldn't keep up with a Corolla. :stupid:

175198[/snapback]

his point, which is valid, got lost in the rant.