1999 Intrigue GLS

I just came across one of these last night. So is the GLS the top of the line ? This would also have the 3800, right ?

Looked to be a nice car but it was "night", I believe it was Black, know it had light leather, wood but I couldnt see much else for details. So what all came with GLS ?

$8995 was steep for a '99 but here is another car I wish I would have found a month ago.

Now what suspension upgrades, if any would it have ? Like, is this the GTP or GS of Intrigues or were all the features, interior appointments and such ? I actually didnt think of looking at the wheels, it was too dark anyhow. I just saw what appeared to be a Black Intrigue and had to look, then I saw leather so I looked around for badging.

Oh ! I know its steep ! Like K2 kinda steep ! You all know how used car dealers are, its did however say "or make offer". It will sit there for months and months. If Burt Renolds drove it :ohyeah: its not worth a penny more than scrap............... :lol:

All Intrigues had a tight well rounded suspension. They did offer an autobahn package on earlier models but they had brake and other issues so I wouldn't recommend it.

We've had both a 1998 with the 3800, and a 1999 with a short Northstar. Both were awesome vehicles and both engines proved to be bullet proof. Our 1999 was sold to a friend who put it over the 100k mark with little problems.

Yes, 1999 was the first year of the 3.5 twin cam, only in the GLS. The next year it was the only engine offerred. You'll like it, pretty fun engine, reliable, and takes regular, when Honda and Toyota V6's require premium. The planned 3.7 version for Pontiac and Buick was killed mostly due to costs to meet new ULEV standards.

Today's 3.6 replaces it technically.

When the Intrigue was avail, it was considered by many auto experts to be one of GM's best. Thanks to Zarella (my bro, a former auto CEO, met him once and said he was a rube) for killing it along with Olds.

DO check out edmund.com on the Intrigue board for any details (good and bad). Price quoted is high for this now 'orphan' make.

Edited by ketch

way over priced but it is a nice car that is for sure if you could talk them down....my girlfriend has the same car....a black 99 GLS with the shortstar and every option you could get i believe. Its a decent engine i guess and the suspension on hers is less floaty that my impala i guess....if you could get a better price then go for it...nice car

I cant believe the response to this thread. Im surprised and impressed, seems that Intrigue was a highly loved car. I did have one W body, for those that havent heard me rave yet. It was a 91 Regal Limited 2dr. and I did love that car. Im not currently in buying mode because its too late. But I always stop to look at interesting General Motors automobiles, at least Buicks and Oldsmobiles that is.

Current ownership consists of, by year

75 Delta 88 Royal Convertable - project

76 Lancia Scorpion - project

86 Buick LeSabre Limited 2dr. - semi retired looking sweet

90 Oldsmobile Regency - on the road

90 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Cruiser SL - on the road

97 Oldsmobile LSS L67 - on the road

06 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr. - on the road

I may have passed on the G6 for financial reasons had the right used car been around but my "wife" had her heart set and I feel pretty good about finally being in the realm of new car ownership. We hope to trade for a new RWD fun/sporty General Motors car in 4 years. Would have bought a Solstice but with GM screwing around with the supply and demand game they lost a potential sale in that department to a true GM and sports car enthousiast. So none the less we bought another GM to be enthousiastic about.

I must confess I knew little about the Intrigues until this thread. I test drove one 2 years ago when I traded the Regal but passed on it because there was this mint, loaded full tilt, origional owner '99 50th Anniversary Delta 88 that just kept calling my name. The car had some electrical/computer glitch that made it run really funny on occasion that the dealership wanted me to "just live with it" so myself and the "Attorney General" made them "just live with it". Most excellent car otherwise, they should have fixed it, it was a real smooth ride.

I leared to drive on my moms 2000 gls intrigue. We bought the car new in december of 99 and the cars is still running stong, with no maitenance at all besides oil changes about every 5k miles, 1set of brakes, 1 set of tires and a new batter at 90k miles. Needs a tune up now but this has been one bullet proof car. ITs earned a place in my moms heart as her favorite car and she ias a mid 50's women who from '85 to '99 always drove a loaded 98 regency and loved all three of them. At first she didnt like this car because of its size, now when my dad had her test drive a Lacross CSX to cosider replacment my mom decided it didnt messure up and that she would hold off and save money to uprage in 2-3 years to a new RWD based buick or maybe a new CTS.

• 4 weeks later...

At first she didnt like this car because of its size, now when my dad had her test drive a Lacross CSX to cosider replacment my mom decided it didnt messure up and that she would hold off and save money to uprage in 2-3 years to a new RWD based buick or maybe a new CTS.

175899[/snapback]

So true. The LaCrosse just doesn't have the wow factor that the Intrigue did. I think people immediately liked the Intrigue. It's such a good-looking car. I think people hem and haw about the LaCrosse.

• 2 months later...

I currently own a 2002 Intrigue but it is the base GX model. It is fully optioned with the split rear seats, power drivers seat, keyless entry and leather wheel. It currently has about 66k on the clock and drives well. The only thing I have done to it is a passenger side rear wheel bearing. I will have to take it in for the intermediate steering shaft lube kit upgrade because the steering sometimes transmits shudders and transmits looseness through but otherwise it has been bullitt proof. The 3.5 Shortstar has been a most enjoyable engine and I have always preffered it to any of the 3800 cars I have owned for it's greater smoothness and quietness. It also has never suffered the intake issues that my 3800 series II cars did and consistently averages 25-26 mpg and 30 plus on the open road with the base 3.05:1 gears. I recently rented a base 2006 Lacrosse for comparison and liked my Olds much better overall. The Buick had odd darty steering, uninspired exterior sheetmetal, a softer ride and worse handling, slower accelleration(not surprising since the 3800 puts out 15 less hp, has 2.86:1 gears vs my 3.05 gears and 200 lbs more curbweight), odd unresponsive throttle unless you mashed the pedal to the floor and an uninspired base interior with rental grade bench seats with plain light colored mouse fur cloth material. Buick would have been better off rebadging the Intrigue and sticking a Buick grille on it than what they currently have IMO!

I currently own a 2002 Intrigue but it is the base GX model. It is fully optioned with the split rear seats, power drivers seat, keyless entry and leather wheel. It currently has about 66k on the clock and drives well. The only thing I have done to it is a passenger side rear wheel bearing. I will have to take it in for the intermediate steering shaft lube kit upgrade because the steering sometimes transmits  shudders and transmits looseness through but otherwise it has been bullitt proof. The 3.5 Shortstar has been a most enjoyable engine and I have always preffered it to any of the 3800 cars I have owned for it's greater smoothness and quietness. It also has never suffered the intake issues that my 3800 series II cars did and consistently averages 25-26 mpg and 30 plus on the open road with the base 3.05:1 gears. I recently rented a base 2006 Lacrosse for comparison and liked my Olds much better overall. The Buick had odd darty steering, uninspired exterior sheetmetal, a softer ride and worse handling, slower accelleration(not surprising since the 3800 puts out 15 less hp, has 2.86:1 gears vs my 3.05 gears and 200 lbs more curbweight), odd unresponsive throttle unless you mashed the pedal to the floor and an uninspired base interior with rental grade bench seats with plain light colored mouse fur cloth material. Buick would have been better off rebadging the Intrigue and sticking a Buick grille on it than what they currently have IMO!

213787[/snapback]

Good points about the base Lacrosse interior, most GM cloth interiors of this decade.

Your throttle issue with Lacrosse ? - one need look no further than "fly by wire throttle"....so silly...so unbelievably brilliant... dazzling brilliance

I think the 3800 has more torque, I believe they are very comparable engines

Where did you get the 200lb's extra for the engine figures ? Seems high. I looked for engine weights a few years back for a discussion but came up with little. I think I found the 38 weighed in the 500's.

All the 3.5* will probably be wore out before I determine if they are reliable. I am actually considering one of these Intrigues for my daughter but I know she would rather have a early/mid 90's Regal GS.........so would I....... :)