Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Is a Canyon refresh coming anytime soon???

GMTruckGuy74

Anyone here know if the GMC Canyon (and Colorado) are scheduled for an update for 2007? I know some of our insiders have seen the new models coming out over the next 30 months, and I was wondering if the Canyon was getting an exterior and maybe an interior upgrade. I'm hoping for something that makes it more differentiated from the Colorado this time. Something like this:

Posted Image
2003 SEMA Show - GMC Canyon AT4

Also, does anyone know if a performance version (a'la Syclone) is in the works too? I'd love to find out GMC is bringing out a sport-performance Canyon, even if they had to call it Canyon Denali I'd still be happy.

TIA for teh info!! :)

I heard 07 refresh but never heard the details. What you show is along the lines of what direction GMC is going on grilles. I just pray they upgrade the interior as they have on the other lines. As of now I would not trade my Sonoma for one based on interior materials alone. Edited by hyperv6

I could see it getting a facelift similar to the '06 Trailblazer, which would bring it closer in resemblence to the GMT900 front.

The refresh cant come soon enough. The i-5 is a good little engine, but it needs to work hard to move the truck in a hurry, killing any chance at good mileage. The upcoming .2L increase should help that cause. The interior needs some Bob Lutz magic RIGHT NOW. And just give it the 5.3. Let Chevy be the brand with the balls for once.

I really like the power and performance of the 4.2 I-6 in my '05 Envoy. I agree that GM should have designed the Canyon/Colorado to use the 4.2 as the upgraded engine and the I-5 as a base engine instead of the I-4. That would have made these trucks a little more unique in the marketplace.

Like the Canyon AT4? Read more about it here: pickuptruck.com

Here's some more pictures too:

No news from any of our insiders on this topic? I was hoping to at least find out that the Canyon & Colorado are getting a refresh/update for the 2007 model year. I'd like the steering wheel to gain some redundant controls for the radio and an enhanced driver's info center (like on the Envoy). I really like the Canyon in the Stealth Gray Metallic color; if I knew a refresh similar to the Canyon AT4 was coming in '07, I might be able to wait!!! :P

P.S. - I also like the 17 inch Sierra rims that they used on the Canyon AT4:
Posted Image http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons//AH-HA_wink.gif
Why don't they start offering those instead of these God awful 15 inchers:
Posted Image

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I agree the front bumper with the fog lights needs to be changed. The fog lights look like an afterthought and a protruding plastic donut on the front. I like the rest of the truck especially the fender flares. I just wish from the start that they would have made the taillights on these trucks look more aggresive and less Nissan like from the 90's.

Josh, AH-HA, evok, et al... any insight for us Canyon & Colorado fans about upcoming changes for 2007+???

While I know I'd get raped at the dealership if I attempted to trade in my '04 Malibu for a new '06 Canyon soon, finding out that exterior, interior and drivetrain upgrades/updates were coming for 2007 would help me to wait an extra year.

Sad to say, the interior needed updating the day the truck was introduced.

[post="12908"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually I think that a bad decision was made in program development. The GMT360s were supposed to have trucks to accompany them. But someone within GM thought it was a bad idea. So the idea was nixxed. Imagine if we would have gotten a GMT 360 based regular cab with the 4.2 i-6 and 5.3 DOD a year later. How much better would GM have been in the 'midsize' truck race?

I say move Colorado AND Canyon AND H3 to GMT 360 instead of the refresh and get it overwith.

Actually I think that a bad decision was made in program development.  The GMT360s were supposed to have trucks to accompany them.  But someone within GM thought it was a bad idea.  So the idea was nixxed.  Imagine if we would have gotten a GMT 360 based regular cab with the 4.2 i-6 and 5.3 DOD a year later.  How much better would GM have been in the 'midsize' truck race?

I say move Colorado AND Canyon AND H3 to GMT 360 instead of the refresh and get it overwith.

[post="20137"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting point, and I forget what the actual reasoning was behind having the mid-size SUV's and trucks based on 2 different platforms, other than the fact that Isuzu was heavily into development of the truck.

Interesting point, and I forget what the actual reasoning was behind having the mid-size SUV's and trucks based on 2 different platforms, other than the fact that Isuzu was heavily into development of the truck.

[post="20477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think GMNA wanted a smaller truck so people could step up into the bigger GMT800 if they needed to tow anything large. More profit in the 800s than the 360s.

[quote name='91z4me' date='Sep 27 2005, 06:11 AM']
I think GMNA wanted a smaller truck so people could step up into the bigger GMT800 if they needed to tow anything large. More profit in the 800s than the 360s.

That's the exact thinking that got GM into the problem they are in now. Why don't they start looking ahead. they tend to show up late to the party wearing everyone else's dress.

Instead of showing up doing what everyone else is doing they need to:

1) Learn to go just one step further. (not too far to be unable to adjust to the times/demand)

2) Just do it better than anyone else.

3) Do it right the first time.

That's it ...... COME ON GM!!

"YOU CAAN DOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIT" - Waterboy

Some speculation on my part: Perhaps GM's original strategy was something along the lines of: Small: Colorado/Canyon Medium: Lambda-based truck Large: Sileravado/Sierra We know that a Lambda-based truck has at least been discussed. I'm not sure if it's progressed past that & if it has, how far along it is. Being that the Lambda platform is primarily intended to spawn the a new crossover series of vehicles, I'm guessing a mid-size truck would certainly be possible. It would absolutely reinforce GM's decision on why "only" the 3.5l I5 is available in the Colorado/Canyon twins. On truck terms, the negative-side of that speculation is the idea that if a Lambda-truck is produced, it'll be far more likely to be more car-like than truck-like -- so if you are looking for a mid-size truck for pure truck potential (i.e. hauling), a Lambda truck probably isn't going to deliver it. Again, pure speculation. Perhaps one of our educated, informed sources can clear some of this up...

• 3 weeks later...
the Colorado/Canyon will probably see a facelift for 07 or 08.. where they will probably look more like the 08 silverado/sierra.. these trucks need more power. does anyone know for sure what the base engine for the 08 silverado is?? Ive heard that the 4.3L will get the axe, or it will be totally overhauled.. what they need to do is develop a new V6 for truck use.. a dohc unit around 4.0L or so.. then they could use it in the hummer h3, colorado, canyon, silverado and full size vans.. one thing i just thought of is would the 3.9L ohv V6 from the impala, g6, malibu.. fit in the colorado??? with 240 hp it would be right on par with other small/midsize trucks...

They should have put the 6 in it in the first place. They would have had a lot more buyers. A friend of mine would have bought one but the towing capacity was not up to what he ended up buying...a Nissan Frontier.

[post="15614"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

what about using the 3.9L V6 from the impala, G6, malibu.. in the Colorado/Canyon??? would it fit?? with 240 hp it would be right on par with
the other compact/midsize trucks...

Take a look at this picture of the Isuzu D-Max:

Posted Image

Then take a look at the frontend of the new '07 ukon:

Posted Image

See where I'm going with this? Maybe the D-Max will be the refreshed Canyon, since its styling is similar to the new styling direction of the GMT-900s. It would make it different from the Colorado too, as long as the Colorado doesn't receive the same frontend design.

Btw, this doesn't mean I like the look of the D-Max from its pictures - I'd have to see it in person first.