Aveo Press Release from Frankfurt. Pics too

Northstar

From GMEurope:

Frankfurt, September 12, 2005

European premiere at the IAA: New Chevrolet Aveo sedan

• Dynamic four-door model: All new design
• Plenty of room for passengers and their baggage
• Efficient: Economical engines with Euro 4 standard

Frankfurt. With the new Aveo, Chevrolet has added another attractive model to its product range. The four-door notchback sedan, available with either a 1.2 or 1.4-litre engine, will be presented for the first time in Europe at the IAA International Motor Show in Frankfurt (September 15-25, 2005). Apart from the proven engineering, the main characteristics of the new front-wheel drive model are the new modern design and the unusually large amount of space for a compact class vehicle. The newcomer (length/width/height: 4,310/1,710/1,495 mm) is set to reach the European market in spring 2006. In total, it will be sold in more than 120 countries throughout the world.

"The new Aveo fits in perfectly with our product philosophy", says Erhard L. Spranger, CEO of Chevrolet Europe. "With its no-frills design and its generous amount of room, it offers particularly young families more car for their money." This is underscored by the grown-up look of the four-door sedan. Technically, it has very little in common with its predecessor. The only elements to have been carried over are large parts of the body platform, the windshield and the front side windows. As a result, it now differs optically even more clearly from the three and five-door Kalos fastback versions.

Contours: Clear design language dominates the new look of the notchback

The Chevrolet Aveo was designed at the GM Daewoo styling centre in Korea. The most obvious expression of the new design line in this sedan is the front section, where the most striking features are the three-dimensional headlamps, which extend deeply into the engine hood and the front fenders, and the grille, which is set in chunky chrome strips. The cross-buckle with the Chevrolet emblem is a real eye-catcher in the middle. These optical elements of the Aveo front section impart a certain dynamism, as do the striking V-shaped edges of the engine hood. The hood character lines extend to the powerful-looking front bumper and, in conjunction with the black-bordered circular fog lamps, reinforce the sporty look of the four-door notchback.

The new Chevrolet Aveo therefore not only looks more dynamic than its predecessor, it is also more grown-up. This is evidenced by the stretched-looking silhouette with its rising sideline, pronounced shoulders and body-coloured door sills. It is further emphasized by the long outside door handles and the newly designed 15" wheels. The rear end of the Aveo has a clarity of structure about it. With a chrome strip traversing the entire width and boldly shaped rear lamps, it picks up some of the design cues of the front section.

Big benefits: Generous interior dimensions and a wealth of amenities

With its exterior dimensions and its wheelbase of 2,480 mm, the new Chevrolet sedan demonstrably underlines the fact that it is not among the smallest of its class. On the contrary: Its generous outside measurements are also reflected in a very generous interior. With shoulder room of 1,362 mm at the front and 1,340 mm at the back, for example, the Aveo is best-of-class. Equally impressive are the front leg room of 1,048 mm (rear: 898 mm) and the head room of 998 mm (950 mm). And when there's baggage to be transported, the Aveo trunk comes up with a volume of 400 l (VDA standard). Convenient split-folding rear seats increase the amount of space for carrying cargo considerably.

The interior of the four-door Aveo is very passenger friendly. Apart from a newly designed instrument panel and center console, a new line of fabrics for the seats and door liners govern the overall picture. Together with many features generally found in higher-end vehicles, it all adds up to a pleasant "feel-good" ambience for the passengers. The generous range of standard equipment includes automatic air-conditioning, power windows, electrically operated exterior mirrors and remote controlled central door-locking. Safety standard features include the stable passenger cell with precisely defined load paths, three-point belts on all seats, front and side airbags and belt tensioners. Thanks to the outstanding Isofix fastening system, installing child seats in the rear is nothing short of child's play.

Precision: Modern chassis design ensures safe handling Precision: Modern chassis design ensures safe handling

The modern chassis design of the Chevrolet sedan with McPherson struts at the front and a torsion-beam suspension at the rear is a guarantee of high travel comfort and active safety. This is added to by the wide stance of the Aveo with a front track of 1,450 mm and rear track of 1,430 mm, both among the best of class. The steering gear is mounted on the front suspension cross-member, which eliminates harshness and provides more precise and stable handling. The standard variable rack-and-pinion power steering gives the front-wheel drive sedan outstanding maneuverability. Apart from that, this technical solution provides the driver with accurate steering control in all situations and also, like the standard four-channel ABS, contributes to active safety.

Power: Top-class unit with 4-valve technology and variable air intake system

Buyers have a choice of two four-cylinder gasoline engines to power the new Chevrolet Aveo. The first has Multipoint injection and a capacity of 1,150 cm3. It generates 53 kw/72 hp and develops its maximum torque of 104 Nm at 4,400 rpm. Like its bigger 1.4-liter sister, it comes as standard with a five-speed manual transmission and complies with the Euro 4 emissions standard due to come into force in 2006. The four-valve 69 kW/94 hp engine with a maximum torque of 130 Nm at 3,400 rpm has two overhead camshafts and a variable switch intake system that ensures particularly high air throughput at low engine speeds, therefore also ensuring a high torque level.

In contrast, the MVED consumption data are very low: The 1.2-litre version needs only 6.8 litres of fuel for 100 kilometers, while the bigger unit consumes just 7.0 litres over the same distance. If combined with the optional four-speed automatic transmission, energy consumption goes up by just 0.6 l.

Pics (now tell me this isn't better than the Yaris):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Interesting how they're using the "Aveo" name in Europe. I wonder if the whole Chevy passenger car line-up will become global... the Malibu can be the Verona's successor, a joint project by GM NA and GM Daewoo, and Suzuki can sell their own original products in the US. The interior looks relatively appealing... about on par with the new Accent/Rio and more substantial than the Echo's. I like the idea of a mini-Cobalt, but not with these proportions. But then of course, most of the new, taller hatches don't look good as sedans (i.e. Jetta).

I've always like the Aveo.  The new front is a huge improvement.  I'm not sure about those taillights, though.  The dashboard vents look better.

[post="13466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Me too-I just wish GM would consolidate all their subcompact and compact cars so that everyone benefits. I don't know why Chevy (and Holden) are imitating the Ford/Honda/Mercedes-Benz school of triangular taillamp design-I know Chevy can be more original than this. Better exterior styling would serve well-not all subcompact cars need to be tall.

Globally, these cars are becoming increasingly important. Most countries are paying over $2 a LITRE for gas (well over $8 a gallon, folks). MOst of Canada is paying $1.10 and up a litre ($4 + gallon) so there is plenty of room for cute, fun to drive small cars.
What I have seen of what GM sells in South American and Europe is what we need here in North America NOW. The Cobalt/Malibu, etc. are "Americanized?" What does that mean, exactly? Are Americans that stupid? Why wouldn't something like the Opel Vectra or Astra sell here?
GM needs to revisit the entire concept of World Car and get with it. The Aveo will do well, especially if it looks cool (like the Mazda 3) and has some punch to it.
The "imports" are eating our lunch because they don't water down their vehicles when they sell them here. [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

Globally, these cars are becoming increasingly important.  Most countries are paying over $2 a LITRE for gas (well over $8 a gallon, folks).  MOst of Canada is paying $1.10 and up a litre ($4 + gallon) so there is plenty of room for cute, fun to drive small cars.
  What I have seen of what GM sells in South American and Europe is what we need here in North America NOW.  The Cobalt/Malibu, etc. are "Americanized?"  What does that mean, exactly?  Are Americans that stupid?  Why wouldn't something like the Opel Vectra or Astra sell here?
  GM needs to revisit the entire concept of World Car and get with it.  The Aveo will do well, especially if it looks cool (like the Mazda 3) and has some punch to it.
  The "imports" are eating our lunch because they don't water down their vehicles when they sell them here.  [FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

[post="13564"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ya i hear that, im starting to seriously eye these little sh!t boxes they are fun to drive and are cheap on gas compared to my truck.

looks better than the yaris pile inside and out. however, i hate that designers think it necessary to make the lower portion of the dashboard fan out when it meets the center console. it just cuts out so much damn legroom. thats especially important if they plan to sell these in America. we're big people. we need our legroom, dammit.

I'm glad Daewoo didn't mess this one up. Many automakers have gotten fancy with subcompacts and compacts placing untraditional (and clearly awkward) speedometers and other gauges on top of the audio controls rather than the steering wheel. Subcompacts have to be conventional. Otherwise, it makes a small car look dorky. I say the future is a small, compact offering with luxurious features...something I'm pretty sure Daewoo will be able to cook up.

I'm glad Daewoo didn't mess this one up. Many automakers have gotten fancy with subcompacts and compacts placing untraditional (and clearly awkward) speedometers and other gauges on top of the audio controls rather than the steering wheel. Subcompacts have to be conventional. Otherwise, it makes a small car look dorky. I say the future is a small, compact offering with luxurious features...something I'm pretty sure Daewoo will be able to cook up.

[post="13799"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. Most people just commmute and realx...not getting a twtich...

It's a nice looking small car, but 33 mpg with the larger engine is really inefficient, when a base Corolla gets 40 mpg on the highway. This is a critical factor when shopping for subcompact, especially in Europe. GM needs to improve the fuel mileage to go along with the updated look.