The Detroit News on the Aura

im convinced that GM could buy a camry from toyota, or an accord from honda, put a chevrolet or pontiac badge on it and change the grille and the media would find something wrong with the grille.. they used to do this when the old corolla and prizm were around.. they would give the corolla a higher rating even though the two cars were nearly identical, with the same engine, transmission and were even built in the same plant..

im convinced that GM could buy a camry from toyota, or an accord from honda, put a chevrolet or pontiac badge on it and change the grille and the media would find something wrong with the grille..  they used to do this when the old corolla and prizm were around.. they would give the corolla a higher rating even though the two cars were nearly identical, with the same engine, transmission and were even built in the same plant..

184408[/snapback]

I'd love to see those articles, side by side. I'm calling BS.

As for the Aura, if we pull off the GM-colored shades for a moment, its an update of an architecture that's due for an update in 1/2 model years. I'll concede that I haven't driven one yet...so I can't comment on the tweaks and improvements, but it's not that dramatic an accomplishment.

The G6 & Maxx already ride on this chassis. The 3.6 finally migrates to this platform (2 yrs late) and a 4 speed is still rearing its ugly head on an 'all new' GM product. Add to that the toned down appearance between award-winning concept and production and you have, what in essence, is the world's nicest application of epsilon, nothing more or less.

the magazine didnt review that vehicle, a REALLY REALLY REALLY crappy, joke of the automobile review industry, reviewed it.

as an example, here is her take on the GT40...

He Drove, She Drove

Ford's GT muscle car trails other posh rods

By Paul & Anita Lienert

The Detroit News

2005 Ford GT

Type: Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive, 2-passenger coupe

Price? : Base, $143,845 ; as tested, $157,095

Engine: Supercharged 5.4-liter V-8; 550-hp; 500 lb-ft torque

EPA fuel economy: 14 mpg city/21 mpg highway

Key competitors: Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, Bentley Continental GT, Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper, Ferrari 360 Modena, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG, Mercedes-Benz SL600, Porsche 911

12-month insurance cost?: $3,317

Where built: Wixom

1: Includes $1,250 destination charge and $2,600 federal gas-guzzler tax; 2: Estimated by AAA Michigan. Rates may vary depending on coverage and driving record.

Ford Motor Co. continues to reach into its past with latter-day recreations of such classics as the Thunderbird, the Mustang and, most recently, the GT -- a near-copy of the Ford GT40 race car that won the fabled LeMans endurance race nearly 40 years ago.

Ford has been only partially successful in transforming the GT40 into a street-legal performance car. The vehicle we tested, a 2005 model with such options as a McIntosh audiophile system ($4,000) and painted white stripes ($5,000), carried a bottom line of $157,095 -- enough money to buy an entry-level Ferrari or Lamborghini.

HE: I was so jealous when you trotted off last fall to the race track to drive the new Ford GT. Even though I'm still convinced that it was probably not a good idea to build this car, I've been dying to drive it. Now that I've finally been able to spend a few days in the GT, I can safely report that it has been one of the most intoxicating -- and infuriating -- driving experiences of my career. Intoxicating because there are few cars in this price segment, short of a Ferrari or a Lambo, that can deliver the kind of rush you get in the GT. Infuriating, because Ford had an opportunity to create a much more civilized super car than the Italians, and blew it.

SHE: My main concern about the GT is that it doesn't belong on the street. It only belongs on the track. It's far too tempting to test the legal limits in a car that makes 550 horsepower from its supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 and has a top speed of nearly 200 miles per hour. You have to have the discipline of the Dalai Lama to resist all the constant urging from friends, onlookers and other drivers to take it to the max. I spent the better part of the weekend giving rides in the GT, and I found myself delivering the same lecture to my passengers on why I wasn't about to go 90 in a 25 mph zone.

HE: It is truly a remarkable vehicle in which you can get into so much trouble in so little time. The buff magazines have clocked the GT's 0-to-60 acceleration at well under four seconds. We personally observed that it took the GT no more than two seconds to leap from zero to 40 when we took off from the local stoplight -- and that was in first gear. I should add that I couldn't see the traffic light either because the darn windshield is so low.

SHE: I also think the GT looks like it belongs on the track. We drove a red car with fat white racing stripes down the center. That engine, which sits behind the driver and passenger, looks like a museum piece under glass. Inside, the tachometer, not the speedometer, is mounted just ahead of the steering wheel, just like in a race car. The GT even comes with a big red push-button starter. Surprisingly, there are some amenities, including air conditioning, power windows and locks and a fancy audio system. But the cabin is still fairly primitive, with some door trim that looks really plasticky.

HE: In a performance car, primitive is not necessarily a bad thing. Consider stripped-down hot rods like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and the Subaru WRX STi. My problem with the GT is that there seem to be too many compromises in a car that's trying to please the enthusiast crowd while appealing to the big-money set that's more used to driving posh -- but really fast -- street cars like the Mercedes-Benz SL600 or the new Bentley Continental GT. My other problem is the price, which even without options is nearly twice that of a Dodge Viper. Unfortunately, the GT is not anywhere near twice as good as a Viper. And for the same money, you can buy a real Ferrari.

SHE: I think the GT has generated a lot of goodwill for a venerable meat-and-potatoes American company -- just like the original GT40 race car did back in the 1960s when it beat the Ferraris at LeMans. One man who drove the GT with us this weekend only half-facetiously begged his wife to sell their house and buy the car. Other men seemed awestruck by it. Nearly every male who saw the GT stopped and turned reverentially, as if something important were passing by. Something was. And what kind of a price tag can you put on that?

Rating system: 1- unacceptable; 2- subpar; 3- acceptable; 4- above average; 5- world class

Anita's rating:4

Anita's Likes: Fabulous toy for a guy. Great car for track hobbyists. Nod to civility with air conditioning, power windows, CD player. Supportive seats.

Anita's Dislikes: Water dripping from doors onto seats after rainstorm. Side mirrors too small to be of much use. Difficult to reach radio. Needs convertible version. Front-mounted trunk holds only golf balls, not golf bag. No side air bags, no stability or traction control. Lacks adjustable pedals, seat-height adjustment.

Paul's rating:4

Paul's Likes: Laserlike handling. Sensational power and acceleration. Classic race car styling from the mid-60s. Only American mid-engine performance car. Delicious engine exhaust growl.

Paul's Dislikes: Difficult to open massive doors in tight parking spots. Easy to clunk your head on wrap-over door design. Can buy a real Ferrari for the same price. Twice as expensive, but not twice as good as a Dodge Viper. Lousy visibility in nearly every direction. Not much fun in stop-and-go city driving. Door trim looks plasticky

I was surprised that, for a family offering, the new Saturn sedan doesn't come with such options as a rear-seat entertainment system, a rear backup camera or a navigation system. (You can get a turn-by-turn navigation service as part of a subscription to OnStar.)

So, yes, you do get navigation. And if you need a rear backup camera on a car this size, get a bus pass.

I was mildly annoyed that the gorgeous tobacco-colored "Morocco brown" leather seating...is an extra-cost item on the production version of the car. Granted, it will only cost you another $100 to get it, but it would have been truly impressive to see it as a standard feature on the base car.

:rolleyes: $100. Stick it.

The way the front end is styled also makes it difficult to see where the nose ends, which makes parking a bit of a challenge.

So, she wants large front overhangs now?

The steering wheel is too big...waa waa waa. Check how she descibes the car at the end. How can you be more demeaning to a whole social class of people? She expects a car to satisfy her because her husband can't? Jesus Christ, someone put her out of her misery.

We can agree to disagree about the points made, those are their opinions and they are certainly entitled to them. I have no problems with that.

However, what I do have a problem with - and what is my major beef with the media in general - is the opening of the article. Having the derisive tone of the supposed passers-by demeaning the Aura setting the theme of the article is just, well, $h!ty. It is down-hill from there. Although perfectly valid to do (if, in fact, they didn't just make up the encounter), why is it necessary to have two snotty passers-by make derogatory remarks about the car? Is it to justify or back up the rest of the article's nit picking? Or does two stranger's opinions somehow make the author feel vindicated in their own opinion?

Is the Detroit News upset because the Aura doesn't look like the show car? What is their real reason for slamming this car?

Why, honey, that looks like the Taurus we rented in Rapid City when we visited mom," said Susan Hicks, 50, the owner of a collection agency in La Crescenta, Calif., to her husband, John

Last Iheard, the only new car dealer in La Crecentra was a front for the mob.

I also found it weird that the Aura XR features "tap" shifters on the steering wheel, which executives proudly pointed out are the same as the ones on the Chevrolet Corvette and race cars. Why any car-pooling mom would get excited about this on a family car -- or even use them on a regular basis -- remains a mystery.

Uhh...I'm not in marketing or part of GM, but as a potential buyer of this vehicle I don't think it is necessarily intended for soccer moms. That's what minivans and crossovers are for. With the European-esque design, muscular "shoulders" and wheel arches, and the aforementioned 'tap' shifters, this is more about the guys than the ladies. I'm perfectly happy that my wife wants to continue buying SUVs like her current Envoy. It leaves me the ability to purchase a cool 4-dr sedan that not only can haul my family comfortably on long trips, but haul ass when I am alone and want to carve some corners.

Is there a way for common folk like me to voice and opinion about her in a way that we can all begin to boycott and/or ban her from writing? I haven't read many of their articles, but enough to make me wonder who really pays her salary. The paper or some of the automotive manufacturers.

I was surprised that, for a family offering, the new Saturn sedan doesn't come with such options as a rear-seat entertainment system, a rear backup camera or a navigation system.

Wow. She might actually be retarded. I looked on both the Honda and Toyota websites to see what the Camry and Accord offer. They don't offer either of those options with the exception of the Nav screen. Unless I missed something.. which I doubt. Like a lot of so called journalists, she starting to make up new problems for the new GM cars.

She even goes so far to try to convince the readers that the car is very bland in comparison to it's competitors.

Overall, the Aura is much better than previous Saturn sedans, but it may not look as striking next to its competitors from Japan, Europe, Korea and Detroit.

It's funny that she finds the Aura bland in comparison to some of the most boring sedans on the market when clearly, it is a very nice looking car(though, a tad bit on the conservative side) with good proportions. Unlike the Camry and Accord which are awkward in presentation.

She thinks the steering wheel is too big? WHAT?! I guarantee you that if the steering wheel were any smaller, she'd complain about that too.

What a freakin bitch.

Edited by Cadillacfan

A little nit picky as usual. I don't understand how they gave a glowing review of the 07 Denali and then almost did a complete 180 on this car.

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/auto...ex.cfm?id=22811

184344[/snapback]

look at the name of the ***** who wrote the article. put 2 and 2 together. in case your wondering.....it rhymes with 'hunt'.

We can agree to disagree about the points made, those are their opinions and they are certainly entitled to them.  I have no problems with that.

However, what I do have a problem with - and what is my major beef with the media in general - is the opening of the article.  Having the derisive tone of the supposed passers-by demeaning the Aura setting the theme of the article is just, well, $h!ty.  It is down-hill from there.  Although perfectly valid to do (if, in fact, they didn't just make up the encounter), why is it necessary to have two snotty passers-by make derogatory remarks about the car?  Is it to justify or back up the rest of the article's nit picking?  Or does two stranger's opinions somehow make the author feel vindicated in their own opinion?

Is the Detroit News upset because the Aura doesn't look like the show car?  What is their real reason for slamming this car?

184525[/snapback]

MT took cheap shots at GM too in their Aura review.

The omission of nav in this car is glaring, to say the least. The other two quibbles have no merit, though they could just as easily offer those options.

185173[/snapback]

Is it really an omission or GM trying to accomplish the same task in a different way? I am not saying it is the right way, but it is a different way. Either one will get you where you are going.

Is it really an omission or GM trying to accomplish the same task in a different way?  I am not saying it is the right way, but it is a different way.  Either one will get you where you are going.

185260[/snapback]

Seems more a case of GM telling the customer what they want again. It should at least be an option.

The omission of nav in this car is glaring, to say the least. The other two quibbles have no merit, though they could just as easily offer those options.

185173[/snapback]

yeah, NAV is so popular. i bet less than 5% of cars in this class sell with nav.

drop the price to 500 bucks, then maybe we'll see.

GM has ONSTAR.

185173[/snapback]

yeah, NAV is so popular. i bet less than 5% of cars in this class sell with nav.

drop the price to 500 bucks, then maybe we'll see.

GM has ONSTAR.

Aura vs. Fusion.....?

I say Aura, big time. It has the Fusion taken in exterior, interior, and engine. pricing is pretty close. Fusion gets AWD this fall, but still has a crap motor.

Here's my pecking order

1. 07 Altima

2A. Accord

2B. Aura

2C. Passat 2.0T

3A. Milan

3B. Fusion

4A. Cam-lee

4B. Impala

4C. 07 Sebring

5A. Mazda 6

5B. Malibu SS