Pontiac Grand Prix Reborn?

To me, that car is too bland. The GTO don't sell, I don't see why the Commodore would.

I doubt of the success of that car if it's not designed and built in NA.

219415[/snapback]

The Commodore seats 5, has 4 doors, and has a trunk capable of hauling a decent amount of luggage. The GTO lacks all of these things.

In addition to Northstar's points, don't forget that the Commodore was designed to be imported to the US from the start with major input throughout the process from GMNA. This situation is very different from the rush job they had to do for the GTO.

Which, by the way, is a fantastic car.

Thanks for the input on the Lumina. The rebadge with some styling changes would be fine by me. Order me a small block V8 automatic model please! *In bright blue or silver of course.* I believe it will be made in Canada where the current GP is, the Impala is said to get a redesign too, Chevy has been hush-hush about it but count on it seriously for 2008 because if they build an 2008 RWD GP then the Impala must follow suit, but where will that put Buick? Oh well I could care less if the LaCrosse died, now the Lucerne on the other hand... I would! Someone has mentioned importing them its possible but why when you can save the shipping costs do it there? I know it would maximize production in Aussie Land but still, making it in North American just makes sense to me at least. I hope GM won't screw this one up, they didn't with the Lucerne or Aura! But when they do screw up like say if they were to import it... Ahhhh :banghead::duh: Is what I would do! Anyone know if they will have a year hiatus with the Impala and bring it back for 2009? I think its possible since the new Malibu is looks to be from spy photos and the interior shot a serious Camry a$$ kicker! :pokeowned: Toyota is gonna get owned! ^_^ Please any help with answering these questions is apperciated.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/24/holden-...global-exports/

Current story is that the RWD Holden will be rebadged a Pontiac and imported from Australia....the production may be transferred to the States, if demand warrants, although it is more likely that a 2nd Camaro-related derivative will join the Impala as the 3 RWD, NA-sourced Zetas. (GTO, Velite, or a Saturn RWD sedan have all been rumored for Zeta)

The difference is that those vehicles you listed are selling and the rebadged Monaro with a Pontiac grille was a huge flop that still sees new 05 and 06 models languishing on dealers lots. These new Holdens all look alike and have styling that is done to death with the same old slab sided boringness of a BMW or Audi. If Pontiac is going to bring this one over they will need to inject some excitement in the sheetmetal and some color in the interior. Not everyone wants a BMW clone with rock hard suspension, austere interior and slab sided boring exteriors!

216462[/snapback]

Each to his own I suppose.........but the vast majority who have actually seen a VE Commodore would take issue with the description of the car as a "BMW clone..... austere interior and slab sided boring exterior" (didn't notice the wheel arches, huh?). The beauty of this car is in it's proportions - the high belt-line is offset by a long wheelbase, and short front and rear overhangs give the car a squat, muscular stance. And nowhere else have I heard the new suspension set up described as "rock hard"..... but, each to his own.

Edited by zetaman

• 4 weeks later...

The Monaro wasn't an all-new product when GM decided to derive the GTO from it. The GTO looked dated from day-one because it was based on a design that was already past its prime. The Commodore's design is thoroughly modern (if somewhat conservative), so the Grand Prix successor that results won't suffer from the tired styling that plagued the GTO.

So what? The Commodore is bland and looks just like everything else out there. Not much to differentiate it from the rest. The GP successor won't be that great. If you ask me the new Holdens are already tired. Same basic look as the old ones only edgier..

So what? The Commodore is bland and looks just like everything else out there. Not much to differentiate it from the rest. The GP successor won't be that great. If you ask me the new Holdens are already tired. Same basic look as the old ones only edgier..

have you seen it in person yet? I love it in pictures.....................but they say it's even better in person.

quoted for emphasis

Each to his own I suppose.........but the vast majority who have actually seen a VE Commodore would take issue with the description of the car as a "BMW clone..... austere interior and slab sided boring exterior" (didn't notice the wheel arches, huh?). The beauty of this car is in it's proportions - the high belt-line is offset by a long wheelbase, and short front and rear overhangs give the car a squat, muscular stance. And nowhere else have I heard the new suspension set up described as "rock hard"..... but, each to his own.

Edited by turbo200

Cheers Turbo200. As stated earlier it's hard to please all when it comes to car design I'm sure but I think some are looking at the VE design without considering context. The VE Commodore is a family saloon - much like the Malibu and Impala... and even Camry. By nature these cars are conservative in design as they are required to posess broad appeal - in this environment edgy design may polarise consumer opinion and alienate some buyers...

Having said that, the VE has understated but not bland styling. It posesses a sort of subdued menace with it's wedged stance - ready to pounce. And that effect does not translate into photographs. The photos to date make the car appear flat and squat which is not how it appears in the metal. The devil is in the detail with this car as it's more than merely a sum of it's parts but I suppose people will just have to wait and see.

Not everyone in Australia has conservative taste - just like not everyone in the US is into radical design - and it's worth noting that the Commodore's styling has been positively received locally - by the people who have seen and driven it. It's worth conceding that perhaps the front and rear clips are an evolution of the previous model - creating a visual link with VZ - and Holden could have gone further with this area of the design.... but these are details that are very simple and cheap to modify. So a US version can be made to look quite different to the Aussie version. So maybe some people can't see the forrest for the trees.

A colleague of mine has just recently taken delivery of a Calais V .... and that car is a head turner as well as posessing a solid, refined feel. In any case, it seems that the G8/GP will be a version of the VE Commodore SS - which is a sweet ride