Pontiac Grand Prix Reborn?

I read the article and it seems like an awesome idea, but it's just not edgy enough in the styling department. By time it comes over, it's yesterday's news.

I think it is uber bland looking for a pontiac anyway, we need a proper replacement.

184757[/snapback]

The Commodore SS V looks 100% better than the current GP, IMHO (though it could do without the cheesy rear wing). And more importantly, it has the proper hardware (V8, RWD..)

But when Zeta operations are copy+pasted in NA for Camaro/Impala production will their be enough for Grand Prix?

184806[/snapback]

One could only hope...besides the Camaro and Impala, something like this for Pontiac seems like a natural..

Doesn't that picture look like a photoshopped amalgam of a BMW 3-Series, Lexus IS, Honda Accord, and Chevrolet Malibu?

184817[/snapback]

No, looks like a photoshopped Holden VE SS V.

And why is it that everyone says this is "bland" but I think it looks fantastic?

Doesn't that picture look like a photoshopped amalgam of a BMW 3-Series, Lexus IS, Honda Accord, and Chevrolet Malibu?

184817[/snapback]

Nope...it's a doctored image of a Holden Commodore SS V with a Pontiac-ish nose, that's all.

But when Zeta operations are copy+pasted in NA for Camaro/Impala production will their be enough for Grand Prix?

184806[/snapback]

Who said they ever would be? Holden has a different build process than GMNA does, that is the main reason that the original Zeta plan did not go through, it would have cost mucho money to take a GMNA factory and modify the line and build procedures to work with the GM Holden procedures.

Nope...it's a doctored image of a Holden Commodore SS V with a Pontiac-ish nose, that's all.

That isn't what Hudson was saying. He was saying that the Commedore, even with a Pontiac nose, is pretty generic and uses a lot of the same styling characteristics as the models that he mentioned.

With better promotion than they gave the GTO and keep the price not too high. Fit it with high quality materials. and make sure the details are just right this could make a great car for the US market with little development cost.

Holden may not be able to build it but we have plenty of plants in NA that could build it if approved.

If cost could be contained I would like to see a little more Pontiac coke bottle inspired sheet metal. But with money being tight you need to get the most out of what you have.

I know it's just a quick $0.99 photochop but I still need

to go take a cold shower. This thing is one of the most

exciting future products since the 4th gen. F-body.!

Edited by Sixty8panther

the basic shape of the car is almost perfect. for pontiac, it would need a spicier facade and tail and I would spice up the dash too.

But that's minor stuff. Why this car isn't ready for show as a pontiac at NAiAS is jan and for sale right after, is beyond me.

fire them all.

make mine the direct injection v6 with twin turbo if they want to, and AWD with 6 gears.

I think that comcept is sound, make Pontiac the true performance division and give it something like this as it's bread and butter car. I for one like the current GP styling, if they take that look philosophy and put it over the appropriate running gear RWD, etc I think The Chief would be born anew.

So Saturn is going toward being rebadged Opel's, Pontiac toward rebadged Holden's, what's next, is Buick going to go the way of imported Chinese Buick's?

184853[/snapback]

Not a bad idea really. It would give each brand a true different identity.

I thought it was trashy of MT to do this as a cover story. It doesn't belong on the cover because it puts pressure on GM to do something that is logistically improbable.

That being said, I think it looks really spiff. And if it would be made in America in decent volume then it could work.

But to put a chop on the cover and give a portrayal that the upper management is holding this awesome thing back when that isn't the case at all just seems wrong to me.

It's nice t get American intererst up when they're stuck on stupid with Camcord, Lexus, and BMW. It may not be on the caliber o the latter two, but it's a nice option for those who want to bet their car-buying dollar on the home team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hasn't GM learned that rebadging a Holden and installing a Pontiac grille does NOT a Pontiac make!

213778[/snapback]

Neither does rebadging an Equinox, a cobalt, an aveo(in canada and mexico), and a Toyota Matrix. Face it, whether you like it or not, Holden knows how to make sports cars and those cars that the Aussie division produces is in line with the cars Pontiac used to have and should have.

Los Angeles is right.

Edited by Cadillacfan

The Monaro wasn't an all-new product when GM decided to derive the GTO from it. The GTO looked dated from day-one because it was based on a design that was already past its prime. The Commodore's design is thoroughly modern (if somewhat conservative), so the Grand Prix successor that results won't suffer from the tired styling that plagued the GTO.

Neither does rebadging an Equinox, a cobalt, an aveo(in canada and mexico), and a Toyota Matrix.  Face it, whether you like it or not, Holden knows how to make sports cars and those cars that the Aussie division produces is in line with the cars Pontiac used to have and should have.

Los Angeles is right.

214003[/snapback]

The difference is that those vehicles you listed are selling and the rebadged Monaro with a Pontiac grille was a huge flop that still sees new 05 and 06 models languishing on dealers lots. These new Holdens all look alike and have styling that is done to death with the same old slab sided boringness of a BMW or Audi. If Pontiac is going to bring this one over they will need to inject some excitement in the sheetmetal and some color in the interior. Not everyone wants a BMW clone with rock hard suspension, austere interior and slab sided boring exteriors!

The difference is that those vehicles you listed are selling and the rebadged Monaro with a Pontiac grille was a huge flop that still sees new 05 and 06 models languishing on dealers lots. These new Holdens all look alike and have styling that is done to death with the same old slab sided boringness of a BMW or Audi. If Pontiac is going to bring this one over they will need to inject some excitement in the sheetmetal and some color in the interior. Not everyone wants a BMW clone with rock hard suspension, austere interior and slab sided boring exteriors!

216462[/snapback]

A Holden Commodore rebadge with V8 and RWD would be infinitely better than the current ugly Grand Prix with its FWD and ancient 4-spd automatic, IMHO..

It would be great for GM to come up with a uniquely styled Grand Prix on the Zeta platform, but if they can't do it, the rebadge approach is better than nothing...

Edited by moltar

The Monaro wasn't an all-new product when GM decided to derive the GTO from it.  The GTO looked dated from day-one because it was based on a design that was already past its prime.  The Commodore's design is thoroughly modern (if somewhat conservative), so the Grand Prix successor that results won't suffer from the tired styling that plagued the GTO.

214049[/snapback]

I agree with you, except I think the Commodore is downright conservative.

A Holden Commodore rebadge with V8 and RWD would be infinitely better than the current ugly Grand Prix with its FWD and ancient 4-spd automatic, IMHO..

It would be great for GM to come up with a uniquely styled Grand Prix on the Zeta platform, but if they can't do it, the rebadge approach is better than nothing...

216464[/snapback]

I don't think the current GP is ugly, and how is it not uniquely styled?