Who Would You Rather Listen To?

NOS2006

Huh? Who...?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Huh? Who...?

• Pink and Jewel (because I'm a fairy)
    • Nickelback and Default (because I'm a tool)

Kevin Federline released his music video.

My mind has been poisoned from 20 seconds of it.

I figured Rush's "Presto" would cure me...

...Still hasn't.  :o  :nono:

188439[/snapback]

I tried playing my "Presto" tape, last summer, its shot. I kinda liked it but am still held by "Caress of Steel" something about a bands first stuff and the first impression you have of them.

What I hear are some pretty stupid lyrics.

Sorry, BV. But I just don't understand why a band would resort to writing songs about blue balls, vasectomies, and castrations. :D

187950[/snapback]

Haha.. where in the hell did you get those lyrics? Actual ones:

Bat Country:

"Caught here in a fiery blaze, won't lose my will to stay.

These eyes won't see the same, after I flip today.

I tried to drive all through the night, the heat stroke ridden weather, the barren empty sights.

No oasis here to see, the sand is singing deathless words to me.

Can't you help me as I'm startin' to burn (all alone).

Too many doses and I'm starting to get an attraction.

My confidence is leaving me on my own (all alone).

No one can save me and you know I don't want the attention.

As I to adjust to my new sights the rarely tired lights.

Will take me to new heights.

My hand is on the trigger I'm ready to ignite.

Tomorrow might not make it but everything's all right.

Mental fiction follow me; show me what it's like to be set free.

So sorry you're not here I've been sane too long my vision's so unclear.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem.

Sometimes I don't know why we'd rather live than die, we look up towards the sky. For answers to our lives.

We may get some solutions but most just pass us by, don't want your absolution. Cause I can't make it right.

I'll make a beast out of myself, gets rid of all the pain of being a man.

So sorry you're not here I've been sane too long my vision's so unclear.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem.

I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart.

Scared but you can follow me I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die."

um any one here likes Dio Holy diver. now that song makes me want to do a good old fahioned V8 RWD burnout 8)

other songs that make me want to do that

Crazy train-ozzy

Free Bird-lynard skynard

Oh black betty-lynard skynard

I am-Kid rock

whatcha know about it-TI

growning pains-Ludacris

Family traditons-hank williams Junior

And CCR song

Blinded by the light-Manfred mann

uh the list could go on but i like a wide varity. non of its new rock Im an old school rocker through and through. Although i do like to crank the bass and listen to some rap. nothing like 2 Kicker 15 inch L7s pumping bass into your car.

Edited by capriceman

Good choice.

188615[/snapback]

Ugh. When I was on a school trip to Austria, a bunch of girls brought their Postal Service CD's on the bus and we had to endure them. Sure we had mp3 players, but this bus had uber-surround sound so it was hard to drown out.

Not my kind of music, BUT, thanks to you guys, I got the name of the band right...

...For the past year and a half I've been calling them "Going Postal"

um any one here likes Dio Holy diver. now that song makes me want to do a good old fahioned V8 RWD burnout  8)

other songs that make me want to do that

Crazy train-ozzy

Free Bird-lynard skynard

Oh black betty-lynard skynard

I am-Kid rock

whatcha know about it-TI

growning pains-Ludacris

Family traditons-hank williams Junior

And CCR song

Blinded by the light-Manfred mann

uh the list could go on but i like a wide varity. non of its new rock Im an old school rocker through and through. Although i do like to crank the bass and listen to some rap. nothing like 2 Kicker 15 inch L7s pumping bass into your car.

188692[/snapback]

I like Dio...I have their greatest hits CD. My favorite songs are Rock N' Roll Children and Rainbow in the Dark.

Wasn't 'Black Betty' by Ram Jam?

Ugh. When I was on a school trip to Austria, a bunch of girls brought their Postal Service CD's on the bus and we had to endure them. Sure we had mp3 players, but this bus had uber-surround sound so it was hard to drown out.

Not my kind of music, BUT, thanks to you guys, I got the name of the band right...

...For the past year and a half I've been calling them "Going Postal"

188725[/snapback]

That would be annoying...but a little of them here and there is okay.

Too much of any band gets really annoying. Thats why I can no longer stnd Nickelback or All American Rejects, both are constantly on the radio. The Postal Service is great in moderation, far more intriguing to listen to than Deathcab for Cutie (same lead singer).

All American Rejects are still pretty good...but of course I don't listen to the radio so I don't get overplayed. After listening to Natalie Imbruglia with "Torn" in 1998 and 1999 nonstop I have to say I still can't stand listening to that song...even though musically it is really good.

Do you have family members that take the newest music from their friends off the internet and blare it from the computer speakers on repeat for a day and then put it on a 6 song playlist complete with AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" and Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" and play that all day?!

I have already started to bite the skin off my fingers... :wacko:

One of my friends from high school would always play "Nevermind" and "Enter Sandman" every day on a playlist of about 9 songs or so. Annoyed the F**k out of me. They were like the only two rock songs he knew about, and then following them right afterward was that rap song with the lyrics "sweat drop down by bawwwls" and "Barbie Girl" by Aqua. Worst frickin playlist I have ever heard in my life.

I had a friend that was only into "hits", very disturbing in the long term. He has a huge collection of CD's but will only listen to the one and only song off each one. Its a collection that dates from the 50's to the present. Ive tried to turn him on to something different, or even say "yea thats a good song but they also did this one" and play that track, and he'd stand there looking dead and annoyed...............thats so strange to me. It seems so narrow minded, Ive almost always listened to full recording, though I realize some "top fourty bands" never had anything more than one good song............thats why I dont own any of their stuff.

Black Betty/Ram Jam.........thats one of those songs he has.......until recently I always thought that was Golden Earing, cause it sounds just like them. You could play Radar Love and Black Betty back to back and think it was on the same recording.

Holy Diver - I like the entire recording but it was only borrowed, that is another one I need to get, its been years since I heard it. That was Vivian Campbell on guitar, another one of the pioneer metal axeman.

So many of the greatest songs have been ruined by overplay.

I had a friend that was only into "hits", very disturbing in the long term. He has a huge collection of CD's but will only listen to the one and only song off each one. Its a collection that dates from the 50's to the present. Ive tried to turn him on to something different, or even say "yea thats a good song but they also did this one" and play that track, and he'd stand there looking dead and annoyed...............thats so strange to me. It seems so narrow minded, Ive almost always listened to full recording, though I realize some "top fourty bands" never had anything more than one good song............thats why I dont own any of their stuff.

Black Betty/Ram Jam.........thats one of those songs he has.......until recently I always thought that was Golden Earing, cause it sounds just like them. You could play Radar Love and Black Betty back to back and think it was on the same recording.

Holy Diver - I like the entire recording but it was only borrowed, that is another one I need to get, its been years since I heard it. That was Vivian Campbell on guitar, another one of the pioneer metal axeman.

So many of the greatest songs have been ruined by overplay.

188930[/snapback]

I have a few friends who are the same way. One of my buddies just loves Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine, but try to play anything else off Appetite for Destruction (including Welcome to the Jungle) and he just turns into this lifeless, glazed-eyed zombie. I don't get it either, because usually the best songs are the ones that weren't hits, either because they were too lengthy or just not radio friendly. Everyone raves about 'Here I Go Again' by Whitesnake, but 'Still of the Night' kicks the pants off everything else on that album, including Here I Go Again.

Another thing that bugs me are the people that can't listen to an entire song. I've been at so many parties when we were sitting around drinking and listening to music, and some good tune comes on...we listen for about two minutes and then Mr. Compulsive Song Changer goes over there and skips to the next track right as the bridge/solo is coming on. Or sometimes they won't even last that long...listen up until the first chorus, and then off we go to the next song. The last 1/3 of the song is usually the best part!

'Still of the Night'

you got that right !

those people you are talking about, dont have a musical bone in their bodies, that is the problem, they are clueless, a real bunch of do ra me 's

4 great songs ruined by over play

Stairway to Heaven

Freebird

Dead or Alive

Sweet Child of Mine

I will confess to continued replay of just the guitar solo to Stairway, way back, 4 years before its first radio "success"

So it's Pink and Jewel vs Nickelback and Default in a no-holds-barred tag team deathmatch? Those girls can be pretty vicious, what with the long nails and such, but in the end my money goes to the rock musicians.

So sayeth Razoredge: "Take Dream Theater, what I believe are the most educated and skilled musicians in the business for the past 2 decades and you just know what they are going to do next."

<obscure references>

I did not expect Train of Thought to be as heavy as it was, nor did I know what to expect from Octavarium whatsoever. Each album sounds different enough from the last that it's hard to detect the nuances at first. But yes, I can identify the similarity between riffs and songs and so on.

</obscure references>

The only way a band (Band A) could get over something like that would be if another band (Band B) composed a song for Band A to perform, and gave Band A their instruments to play in their preferred recording studio, and gave Band A the vocalist from Band B, and asked Band A to perform the song exactly as Band B would have. Now that you've torn the very soul from Band A's essence, you'll have a song sounding very much like something that Band B would have released.

I have spent far too much time writing this post.

Im trying to find somthing but i cant.

Wierd Al did a spin off of Stairway to heaven called Fairway in Heaven or somthing i just cant find it. Any one else heard of it?

I do like Amish Paradise and Smells like Nirvana from him too.

Well, now my brother has downloaded a bunch of Nickleback and has it on a playlist with a bunch of hip-hop that made the top 40...

And he's pulled out his American Idiot CD and now that's blasting on the same playlist...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::nono::nono::nono:

We're two and a half years apart... and it feels like we're generations apart. :huh:

Edited by Captainbooyah

So it's Pink and Jewel vs Nickelback and Default in a no-holds-barred tag team deathmatch?  Those girls can be pretty vicious, what with the long nails and such, but in the end my money goes to the rock musicians.

So sayeth Razoredge: "Take Dream Theater, what I believe are the most educated and skilled musicians in the business for the past 2 decades and you just know what they are going to do next."

<obscure references>

I did not expect Train of Thought to be as heavy as it was, nor did I know what to expect from Octavarium whatsoever.  Each album sounds different enough from the last that it's hard to detect the nuances at first.  But yes, I can identify the similarity between riffs and songs and so on.

</obscure references>

The only way a band (Band A) could get over something like that would be if another band (Band B) composed a song for Band A to perform, and gave Band A their instruments to play in their preferred recording studio, and gave Band A the vocalist from Band B, and asked Band A to perform the song exactly as Band B would have.  Now that you've torn the very soul from Band A's essence, you'll have a song sounding very much like something that Band B would have released.

I have spent far too much time writing this post.

189047[/snapback]

That was a bit funny but truth.

In Dream Theater, I was refering to the fact that you know they are about to change up, and go off on a new tangent. Get into some wild improvision then change up again, drive it hard than lay it down softly, they have hundreds of ways of doing it but what you know for sure is that they are going to do it. I can see Im a bit behind on some recordings, I dont have them all.

Off topic

aaaaaa, did you check out Symphony X yet ? similar but different, more Greek mythology based and European classical based metal. Less mellow and more heavier, not that D T lacks when they get heavy. X has a more astonishing vocalist who has a few different voices actually, I can hear Dio, Kansas and then this straight clear voice. Great stuff if you can get into it, not for the weak or simple minded thats for sure. "Twilight in Olympus" is a must have.