Toyota August 06

Lexus loosing its luster? If it weren't for the IS, Lexus sales would be down dramatically. Only the ES posted a gain vs last year and ALL of their SUVs are down.

New GS is down, LS is down, but may be anticipation for 07s. SC is down, ALL of their trucks are down. Lexus needs new product.

Toyota's sales increases look impressive until you se how many vehicles are down and by how much. This may make you think it can't last, but there are still key market segments in which the right product (or any product) would give the company further boosts in overall sales. GM and Ford on the other hand are so much bigger that a few improved products are not going to make as much of a difference except for an individual brand.

Toyota's sales increases look impressive until you se how many vehicles are down and by how much. This may make you think it can't last, but there are still key market segments in which the right product (or any product) would give the company further boosts in overall sales. GM and Ford on the other hand are so much bigger that a few improved products are not going to make as much of a difference except for an individual brand.

187983[/snapback]

It seems like we go through this every month. How many models are down that are new (under 3-4 model years) verus how many are old? Yes, there are some new models that are down. SUVs are obviously going to be down, especially if they are older. All of the old models are going to either be replaced or axed in the next few years.

Lexus loosing its luster?  If it weren't for the IS, Lexus sales would be down dramatically.  Only the ES posted a gain vs last year and ALL of their SUVs are down.

New GS is down, LS is down, but may be anticipation for 07s.  SC is down, ALL of their trucks are down.  Lexus needs new product.

187964[/snapback]

The GS350 just went on sale, that should make the car much more competitive.

IS will take a hit once the new G25/G35 hit the streets.

SC doesn't matter.

LS460 will be selling at around 30k+ units next yr.

RX350 will take a hit when the MDX comes out.

I bet any overall losses will still be countered by the new LS460.

It seems like we go through this every month.  How many models are down that are new (under 3-4 model years) verus how many are old?  Yes, there are some new models that are down.  SUVs are obviously going to be down, especially if they are older.  All of the old models are going to either be replaced or axed in the next few years.

188057[/snapback]

Yes... and Toyota just extended its model life cycle on several vehicles by how much? If Sales are dropping this much after 3-4 years, how will they be after 5-6 years?

You want to blame GM for not getting fresh product to the market fast enough... well then... welcome to the same boat Toyota. You can only blame the manufacturer for a stale line-up.

Lexus loosing its luster?  If it weren't for the IS, Lexus sales would be down dramatically.  Only the ES posted a gain vs last year and ALL of their SUVs are down.

New GS is down, LS is down, but may be anticipation for 07s.  SC is down, ALL of their trucks are down.  Lexus needs new product.

187964[/snapback]

Lexus' entire line is like only a year old.

LOL

Mmmm. Soft market and Toyota's up, big.

Time for all the kool-aiders to try and bust that bubble!

Your arguments might be taken seriously elsewhere if you just left it alone....

188273[/snapback]

Yeah Yeah... and when GM's overall sales are up, you nitpick on or berate certain models and brands yourself. You always try to point out what’s wrong with GM and rain on this board’s parade when we have some good news. You're no different.

And your point is exactly?

GM, F and DCX's number are still heavily subsidised by fleet sales.

Just look at the data in Flybrian's Fleet thread.

Why are the Eps, G and W cars up?

Look at the subsidized leases at Cadillac?

Give me a break.

Sorry but being a GM fan versus having a vested interest in the industry and GM as someone like enzl has, carrys a little more weight with me than 99.99% of the opinions on this board.

Sorry again but there is plenty wrong with the GM's product right now and fleet, incentives (dealer/customer), give away leases are the only way GM can get rid of most of their product to keep the plants rolling.

The only real bright spot in GM's sales figures are the HHR and 900's.

188341[/snapback]

My point is "his opinion" doesn't give him the right to post in a topic just to talk down to the members involved in that topic, which is what he did.

I don't care if someone's job is to make money off the industry or not. Most of the people here are customers (whether it's GM or someone else). Our opinions have weighted interest in both brands we despise and brands we love.

Then again, I'm sure Enzl's snide remarks are backed up by his own "vested" interests.

Edited by VenSeattle

Over the last few months the news on GM has become ever more positive and is gaining momentum. So celebration on this board is more than warranted. GM is rounding that proverbial bend, turning that corner, and it shows. We are getting better and better product at an increasing pace as the General's financial picture continues to look up. The detractors are being given less and less ammo and have to pick ever more insignificant nits. I've noticed how often they resort to harping on the past lately - makes me smile.

Toyota? Not so much.

At least the Lucerne outsold the Avalon with 10K units.

188019[/snapback]

The Lucerne and LaCrosse are "priced to sell", way below what GM should be getting for vehicles in their segments; as are (more understandably) the Charger, 300, Five Hundred and Impala. The more relevant question is can the Avalon stay ahead of the comparably priced Maxima (which has suffered most at the hands of the Avalon) and ES350, which are both selling better at the moment; and how many sales is it losing to the Azera and Zephyr?

My point is "his opinion" doesn't give him the right to post in a topic just to talk down to the members involved in that topic, which is what he did.

I don't care if someone's job is to make money off the industry or not. Most of the people here are customers (whether it's GM or someone else). Our opinions have weighted interest in both brands we despise and brands we love.

Then again, I'm sure Enzl's snide remarks are backed up by his own "vested" interests.

188348[/snapback]

My 'vested' interest is in seeing GM do well. Our biggest store by volume (5X) is a Chevy store. GM needs to have its house in order...and I've mentioned that things look better in a number of other threads....now, if you, or anyone else wants to help me change my mind, I have politely suggested using better fact, logic and defensible 'opinion'.

I'm just shocked at the lengths people will stretch logic to 'nitpick' Toyota's sales in a record month.

The Lucerne and LaCrosse are "priced to sell", way below what GM should be getting for vehicles in their segments; as are (more understandably) the Charger, 300, Five Hundred and Impala. The more relevant question is can the Avalon stay ahead of the comparably priced Maxima (which has suffered most at the hands of the Avalon) and ES350, which are both selling better at the moment; and how many sales is it losing to the Azera and Zephyr?

188403[/snapback]

how many Azeras did Enterprise buy last month? that's your answer.

188403[/snapback]

This may just be an educated guess......but if we were to see trade-in and cross-shop data, I bet the number of people that cross-shop Avalon and Lucerne are in the single-digit-percentages.....IF that...

I'm more likely to lay my money on Avalon versus ES, Maxima, and Azera.

Anyone? Evok? Anyone have access to cross-shop data? I KNOW we used to have it at GM when I worked there.....we used it for comparison purposes all the time.....