Is Saab Swedish?

When GM aquired half of Saab (later to be all of Saab), their cars were still manufactured in Sweden. Currently, the 9-3 and the 9-5 are the only cars manufactured in Sweden. The NG 9-3 will be moved to the Opel plant in Germany and I assume that the 9-5 will be moved as well. With those two cars in Germany, and the 9-7x in America, what is Swedish about Saab? Is there anything at all?

The only hope would be if the anticipated 9-4x and 9-1 would be built in Sweden.

But the question remains: in the cars that are not manufactured at the Swedish plant, what is Swedish about them?

"branding" is a perception, and a weak one at that. An intangible. Motor vehicles have steadily become more & more homogenized WRT design/styling. In other words, if you knew nothing about cars whatsoever but knew at least some about different countries, you would not be able to tell where a toyota vs. a hyundai vs a mercedes came from.

"branding" is a perception, and a weak one at that. An intangible. Motor vehicles have steadily become more & more homogenized WRT design/styling. In other words, if you knew nothing about cars whatsoever but knew at least some about different countries, you would not be able to tell where a toyota vs. a hyundai vs a mercedes came from.

202144[/snapback]

Branding isn't just in the car, but the advertising, graphics, showrooms, image, company appeal, and so on.

Branding isn't just in the car, but the advertising, graphics, showrooms, image, company appeal, and so on.

It theoretically can be, but seldom if ever is in the NA market. No foreign brands have loud, obnoxious sales events centered on foreign holidays, just American ones. Showrooms likewise do not highlight country of origin. 'Company appeal' is not branding and image is different to every 3rd person. And I would like to see some nationalistic automotive graphics, if you have the time.

Most foreign brands are frantic to eradicate any sentiments of being foreign; they know where their profits lie. There is some national pride in German-based automaker advertising (and saab), but that's about it.

Confused........but yes all screwed up. What is GM going to delete the Swedish automotive jobs ? Theres something to be proud of.......... :blink: Maybe build them in China, that would be a novel idea.

The Sweds have built some great stuff over the years, especially in forestry, must be they cant keep ahold of them though. They were pioneers in mechanized and computorized timber harvesting equipment. Far advanced from anything Deere ever came up with. Most of the Swedish forestry manufacturers were bought by John Deere. Canadian Timberjack bought them first creating Timbco, then Deere bought Timberjack. Such bull$h!, mega corporations, I hate them. Nothing but destruction in their path. Just looks great on WallStreet and eliminates competition.

But yes, regardless of what Balth says I do not agree, if Saabs were still built in Sweden, they would be Swedish. Aston Martin is owned by Ford but they are Brit.

Now GMs on the other hand are becoming no longer American and Asians cars are becoming American.

Id like to switch over to VW but they have a large percentage of Mexican built parts. I mean WTF ? Is there any place I can spend my money and help employ my fellow countrymen besides tax's ?

I just hate it !

>>"But yes, regardless of what Balth says I do not agree, if Saabs were still built in Sweden, they would be Swedish. Aston Martin is owned by Ford but they are Brit. Now GMs on the other hand are becoming no longer American and Asians cars are becoming American."<<

You completely realize, of course, that you contradicted yourself, right??

What is a BMW built in North Carolina- German or American?

Understood, but by American, most think United States of America.

We are a separate country, many of your cars are built here. Just presenting the case that there is no clear categorization. So even if Audis are built in Austria, they are still German. Just for the sake of convenience.

I never want it said that Toyota is American. ugh. Maybe one has to go with the heritage of the original automaker....Saabs will always be referred to as Swedish even if they were built in Toledo. Or Volvos in Halifax.

Edited by HarleyEarl

If GM closes the Saab plant in Sweden and builds them all in Germany, they will no longer be Swedish and they will no longer be Saabs, just posers.

Aston and Jaguar, from what I read, were left alone to do their own thing to retain their actual idenity. At least at first, not sure how that has held out or what the current statis is for Jag.

I really hate to see this happen to Saab, the old 900's were great cars, had personal identity, they just drug out too long. I remember when they were far ahead for the times and impressive little cars, inside and out. Kinda like the king of the FWD's.

You completely realize, of course, that you contradicted yourself, right??

No I dont ? Its really confusing but when cars are no longer part of the country they came from they are gone. they then become simply a name and then it is meaningless. Might as well do Honda or Toyota or Kia.

I cant believe the auto indusrty is going the way of professional sports. Were supposed to know who the home team is, not was.

I dont account for Canada, N American is typically what I mean. They have been building "Domestics" on all sides of the Lakes forever, its irrelevent to me. That had been one of the freeist borders ever, so long as there was no sales tax's to be concerned with.

"Assembled" does not equal "Manufactured". Stihls have been assembled in the US for years, still manufactured in Germany with German engineering and standards, that is why they are the best.

The early Saab "V4" was a industrial Ford engine, may have even been German Ford, not English Ford, but I forget the details.

• 1 month later...