The Earnhardt "look" almost a memory

avant1963

For anyone that grew up loving NASCAR for what it was (not what it has become) there was one huge moment in the late eighties when Dale Earnhardt bucked the trend (no one wanted a black car because it attracted too much heat from the sun, but Dale wanted to be the man in black), switched from Wrangler to GM Goodwrench and painted his car black. I had many a shirt/poster/etc with that black MC SS (and had a 1987 MC SS Aero Coupe) and Lumina. That car color combo is legendary. Then in 2001, it all changed. Kevin Harvick took over, changed the car to 29 out of respect that no one could be 3 again (time to "officially" retire that number Mr. France) and the car went to silver in color. In past years, more black has creeped into Havick's paint scheme, but we still miss the 3.

Well, GM Goodwrench has officially said that they will only be sponsoring Kevin Harvick for a few races and Kevin's primary sponsor will be Shell Oil, with a few dates for Reeses (which he does now).

NASCAR has been making sure that I don't give a crap about the WWE on wheels systematicly since Dale's death; changing rules, point systems and allowing any manufacturer to join in. At this point, I couldn't care less if Hyundai stuck a Sonata in the races, because I won't be watching in 2007 and the loss of the GM Goodwrench car out on the track is one more reason to not look back.

Story:

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- GM Goodwrench, sponsor of Richard Childress Racing's Nos. 3 and 29 Chevrolets for more than 20 years, will reduce its sponsorship of Kevin Harvick's team to just a handful of races in 2007, Childress announced Saturday morning at Talladega Superspeedway.

Goodwrench's reduced role makes way for Shell Oil to assume primary sponsorship of the No. 29. However, Goodwrench and Reese's also will serve as primary sponsors on the No. 29 in select races, which haven't yet been determined.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/...nsor/index.html

I know what you mean, NASCAR is just not the same as it used to be. Every new rule is just a little more stupid than the last....they can't even really race anymore. Back in Dale's days, everyone was scared when he pulled up in their rear-view because they know he wouldn't hesitate running right into the back of them, that was the good racing. Now, if you even bump someone out of your way you get black flagged for agressive driving. It was that kind of racing mentality that got Dale killed. He really didn't need to block going into that last turn, but he loved beatin and bangin and in turn, he wrecked and killed himself. He was too old and stubborn to wear the HANS or a full face helmet and he is dead today because of it. I really do miss what he brought to the sport though. Since he left everything has gone down the $h!ter, and the good old days are not returning any time soon.

I saw that "accident" over and over, no way in hell should that have killed anyone let alone caused an injury. If seen F1 cars fly and flip 3 4 times in the air, no injury. Grand Am prototypes air born like 20 feet up and over a hundred feet traveled, land radically hard stuffin the nose in the dirt, no injuries, I saw a Porsche jump a curb, cut a corner, fly through the air, land on top of the GTO bunce off and take the lead, no accident no injuries. That was last years final race for the season, last lap and who ever crossed the finish line first was not only race winner but series winner. Great race, the Porsche team should have been called but somehow they got away with it.

Anyhow something was funny about that Earnhart accident, I dont think he was even straped in his seat.

I never followed Nascar closely, I have caught bits and pieces over the years but I never thought his "style" of driving was bragable. It takes nothing to tap someones rear to spin them and put them out of the race. If thats the skill you need to apply in order to win it doesnt prove your a better driver or have a better machine. Im not denying his record or abilities, but I do believe many of his wins were dirty, not skill. I viewed the accident as exactly what he had done to so many other cars over the years. That car taped him into the wall and they both just slide like a rail down it, very little impact at all, certainly should not have killed anyone in a helmet and harness. Maybe it was another CIA assassination/ cover up...............the Man, tryin to keep the Redneck down......... :lol:

I never followed Nascar closely, I have caught bits and pieces over the years but I never thought his "style" of driving was bragable. It takes nothing to tap someones rear to spin them and put them out of the race. If thats the skill you need to apply in order to win it doesnt prove your a better driver or have a better machine. Im not denying his record or abilities, but I do believe many of his wins were dirty, not skill. I viewed the accident as exactly what he had done to so many other cars over the years. That car taped him into the wall and they both just slide like a rail down it, very little impact at all, certainly should not have killed anyone in a helmet and harness. Maybe it was another CIA assassination/ cover up...............the Man, tryin to keep the Redneck down......... :lol:

202454[/snapback]

You are exactly right, he was a dirty driver, and many of his wins came because of that. I wouldn't say he was the best out there by any means, but because of the way he drove (running many guys into the wall) he had a lot of fans. Because no matter what any NASCAR fan says, they love seeing a wreck.

You're also right in saying that that wreck doesn't really look like it could have killed anyone. Heck, people have walked away from wrecks MUCH MUCH worse than that, but you have to remember that he prolly hit the wall doing 140-150. When they are coming out of the trioval at Daytona they are doing somewhere around 190. The track is so big that the video of him crashing into the wall doesn't look too bad at all, and the only thing saving him was the seatbelt he had on. The open face helmet that he always wore wasn't protecting his face at all, and he refused to wear the HANS device that would keep his neck from snapping like a twig.

So did they ever come clean on what the actual cause of death was ? Neck ? Head trama ? There wasnt even much damage to the car was their. It appeared that the other car actually had more impact.

202473[/snapback]

I don't actually think that they came out and said what actually happened. I think it was that the family didn't want to. I know there were arguements about whether or not his seatbelt broke (I heard that his shop actually made his seatbelts so they fit the way he wanted them) and it was also argued that they built his car stronger in front than it should have been because he always ran into $h!. I don't remember a final decision on what they think killed him.

Earnhardt died of a broken neck. His spine pulled away from his head and that was it.

The belt was not in the way Simpson instructs to put them in.

He had his seats specialy made and he sat lower and farther back than any driver. Thus and the sudden stop all made for the most dangerous kind of a crash.

The cars flipping and rolling a disapating energy and so the effects are much less on the driver. A hit into the wall and sudden stop will cause brain trauma and neck injury that often is fatal.

Even if the belt did not break he still may have broken his neck. Other injuries were broken ribs and broken left leg. Bobby Allison said he had both feet on the gas tring to save the car and hit the wall with the side of the car. He then would ahve rode thew wall to the finish. The M&M's car hit him and prevented the car from spinning back.

As for if he was the best or not, just aout all those who drove against him say he had more car control than anyone they has ever driven against. There are a few that hated him that would say different but many he punted will still say he was the best driver so I will take the other drivers word on it.

Sorry no conspericy here.

But the new safety changes will save many more drivers in the Future.

Well, I'll still watch NASCAR. I'm not that stubborn.

Dale, while I respect him, did not make the sport. His history and actions certainly helped in alot of the rules and safety regulations we have today, however. There were, and is, more reasons to watch than just because of him, or something as stupid as his old sponser, paint scheme, whatever. I still like how there's a little 3 right behind the 29, as it has been from the beginning.

For anyone that grew up loving NASCAR for what it was (not what it has become) there was one huge moment in the late eighties when Dale Earnhardt bucked the trend (no one wanted a black car because it attracted too much heat from the sun, but Dale wanted to be the man in black), switched from Wrangler to GM Goodwrench and painted his car black.  I had many a shirt/poster/etc with that black MC SS (and had a 1987 MC SS Aero Coupe)

*grins*

I have a picture of Dale E Sr standing next to his MCSS Aerocoupe outside of the Union/Unocal 76 offices in Schaumburg IL in either 1986 or 1987. My Dad took it ... Dad worked as an accountant there until the company moved those offices out to CA.....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"What I really need is an open road" ... Montgomery Gentry ... 'Speed'

I miss Dale. . . ever since his passing. . . the sport has never been the same :unsure: I still like to see who's winning races but with the whole Nextel over advertising and the butt ugly cars coming in 2007. . . . NASCAR peaked and is now rolling downhill.

• 3 weeks later...

You are exactly right, he was a dirty driver, and many of his wins came because of that.  I wouldn't say he was the best out there by any means, but because of the way he drove (running many guys into the wall) he had a lot of fans.  Because no matter what any NASCAR fan says, they love seeing a wreck.

You're also right in saying that that wreck doesn't really look like it could have killed anyone.  Heck, people have walked away from wrecks MUCH MUCH worse than that, but you have to remember that he prolly hit the wall doing 140-150.  When they are coming out of the trioval at Daytona they are doing somewhere around 190.  The track is so big that the video of him crashing into the wall doesn't look too bad at all, and the only thing saving him was the seatbelt he had on.  The open face helmet that he always wore wasn't protecting his face at all, and he refused to wear the HANS device that would keep his neck from snapping like a twig.

202466[/snapback]

You don't know crap about Earnhardt he did'nt do what any other drivers were doing at that time and still doing to this day, the only reason he his called "dirty" was he was constantly winning so the spotlight was on him most of the time, but if you look back you will see the same stuff from the other drivers except for guys like Bill Elliott (except when he throws a tantrum) and Mark Martin (no Daytona 500 victories, no championships) and even Martin has been known to "slip" just look at this years All Star Race at the Lowes Motor Speedway, and before you say I am just saying this because I am an Earnhardt fan (you would be correct) look at the 79 Daytona 500 the race that put NASCAR on the map the one with the fight at the end between Allison and Cale Y., Petty has done it, Waltrip has done it, Pearson has done it, Stewart yep, Jr. sure, Jeff Gordon knows for a fact he does it (though he won't admit it), they all have done it and of course in this day in age since Dale Sr. has died they all cry like babies when it is done to them when the microphone is shoved in their faces.

I am just glad that they still sell Earnhardt stuff. I have been a fan since 1994, the last year Dale won the championship. I picked him for my favorited driver cause he was sponsored by GM and had a great looking car. Not because I knew he was one of the best. It took me until 2005 to really have a new favorite driver, Tony Stewart, and that was only after getting to spend the weekend with him and see that he is a real person and a great race car driver.

Don't worry, when Dale Jr. goes to RCR, it will be a split season between Bud and GM Goodwrench.

i dont understand how that wreck didnt look bad? even waltrip immediately knew it wasnt good. the width of daytona is 40 ft-- and he was going anywhere from 160-190 mph straight into a wall. imagine that speed and completely stopping in less than

40 ft distance. do you know what forty feet looks like? he wouldnt have had time to sh8t his pants.

i guarantee you he didnt know what hit him. he had no idea what happened. at full speed they cover a football field in about 2 seconds...and thats 300 ft!

now picture 40 ft. less.

and thats why instead of car number three its car almost 3 at 2.9

obviuosly i didnt know dale personally but watching the old races on espn classic is great to watch. ive always enjoyed racing. without a doubt he was fast and it was fun watching someone that teetering on control zip that car around the track....especially in places like bristol.

the first race i watched with a real interest was the one he died...god bless fox...in that short time since then ive watched it go through some $h!. more or less i lost an interest in it because of said $h!. it was a good 2 years though. god bless fox again.

i think it mightve been the lucky dog rule that sealed the deal for me, or just the fact they called it that. that and a bunch of other stuff. ill still pass by occassionally

for the hell of it sometimes.

but yeah i liked earnheart and probably would still be somewhat more interested than i am now if he was alive. thats a sign to me.

but nascars kinda beat anyway when it comes to racing. alms is the shiznit. i can watch that for hours.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I'm not sure why I started liking Jeff Gordon... I just can't think why... :gay:

211870[/snapback]

I'm still not sure why everybody refers to Gordon as "gay"? He always has the hottest chicks. Here's something to ponder on... has anybody ever seen Tony Stewart with a chick? Edited by BuddyP

I saw a new Monte Carlo SS in the mall parking lot today, black with silver ground effects. Made me feel nostalgic, and kind of sad that GM put the car in a position where it lost street credibility to the point where it is endangered. The fine Chevy smallblock was too little, too late I guess. :(

i only watch Daytona, Indy, and bristol. and 29 has been my favorite driver but that yellow is ugly.

I think Nascar is total crap now.

I feel sorry for those drivers now like gordan, harvick, stewardt, kenseth, khane, ect. because they wont get much respect in the future as drivers.

I like the Rolex cup much better. GM should dump more money into there pontiac team! win those P1. What replaces the GTO tho??

Very Sad that Mr Goodwrence is slowly leaving us. So long as people keep buying Toyotas thats what gonna happen . All these rules and generic cars will kill Nascar. The American Car companies will leave it. Why spend millions for nothing. I think if Ford,GM and Mopar had any balls they would have a real sit down with Mr France and set him straight