Revealed: BMW 3-Series Convertible

Variance

Revealed: BMW 3-Series Convertible

Posted Image

BMW has finally pulled the wraps off the new 3-series convertible. Sporting a new folding hardtop tha opens and closes in around 22 seconds - a first for a BMW -- the open-air 3 also boasts innovative new SunReflective leather. The optional hide contains special pigments that will keep the treated areas 20 degrees cooler when exposed to direct sunlight than regular untreated leather.

Read "BMW makes the 3-Series Convertible official" @ Autoblog

I haven't really warmed up to the 3-Series coupe's looks, and I don't know that chopping the top makes it look better. I'm guessing The O.C. won't care for the hardtop.

I had the chance to drive a 330iX recently. While it's certainly a nice car, I didn't enjoy it as much as the last generation 3-Series I drove. Maybe it was the four-wheel-drive hardware. Or maybe it was that I drove an IS350 not too long ago.

I haven't really warmed up to the 3-Series coupe's looks, and I don't know that chopping the top makes it look better.  I'm guessing The O.C. won't care for the hardtop.

I had the chance to drive a 330iX recently.  While it's certainly a nice car, I didn't enjoy it as much as the last generation 3-Series I drove.  Maybe it was the four-wheel-drive hardware.  Or maybe it was that I drove an IS350 not too long ago.

207987[/snapback]

LOL you are right....I DON'T.

It's tough to see at this angle......but I've never liked the top-down look of any hardtop convertible I've seen. The back decklid area looks to "disjointed" for me. This car looks to follow that trend....<ugh>

Plus, I actually LIKE the look of a black, cloth, softtop when it's in the raised position. The current 3-series convertible is one of the prettiest soft-top convertibles I've ever seen. I think it's a true classic.

The front and sides look great though.....as I'm a real fan of the new coupe.

I don't think safety is as much of an issue because I'm sure most people that can afford this car won't be living in a high-crime area.....looks are subjective (you guys already know my opinion.)

I don't think safety is as much of an issue because I'm sure most people that can afford this car won't be living in a high-crime area.....

208193[/snapback]

Would it shock you to learn I'd feel as safe parking a mid-range convertible in a 'depressed' neighborhood? Hookers and crack dealers don't slash roofs; bored suburban white kids do.

Would it shock you to learn I'd feel as safe parking a mid-range convertible in a 'depressed' neighborhood? Hookers and crack dealers don't slash roofs; bored suburban white kids do.

209731[/snapback]

Yeah but the bored suburban white kids won't steal what's inside.

It looks pretty good with the top down. It actually surprised me considering I am not a huge fan of the sedan or coupe. I think this looks the best of the three with the top down. With the top up it looks the worst. I'm with OC on the hardtop convertible. The rear end just looks weird with the top up and this is on all hardtop convertibles. Surprisingly, the G6 hides this problem the best, IMO.