"Grandpa's Car"

Here's our 1973 Monte Carlo. My father inherited it from my grandfather when he passed away. It's been in the family since new. It's chocolate brown with a tan vinyl inside. And it's got a 454 with 84K original miles. The body and paint are still in great shape, but it needs a little work to be roadworthy. Most of that we did this weekend - fabricating new brake lines and changing out the carburetor. All it needs is a set of tires and valid NYS plates and she'll be on the road again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And in case you guys didn't realize that I'm an Italian from New York, check out the clear plastic seat covers:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh wow, z. That is a very cool example. Love the lack of a vinyl top. What is that aftermarket-looking switch on the door panel?

How much do you want for the car? I'd put a set of Rally wheels on it, take off the mudflaps and switch to different exhaust tips, then I'd be ready to rock and roll! :)

Oh no, it's not for sale. Not even close :wink:

That switch on the door panel is an aftermarket power door lock kit. It's also got aftermarket A/C (see the vent on the far right of the dash).

Those wheels are actually gonna be changed anyway as the chrome isn't that great on them. I'm with you in pushing for a set of rally wheels, but I have no idea what my dad's gonna do. It originally came with black steelies and pie-pan hubcaps with a knight's crest in the center.

*grins*

One word, Z ... "AWESOME"!

Thanks for sharing the pics! I trust that you received my reply PM to ya :).

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

This is a very rare car now that I think about it.

Ya know ... I happened to look at the pics again when I opened this thread ... and noticed the standup hood ornament....

Any idea when that hood ornament was installed, Z? Except for the '77 edition, all of the '73-'77 MCs had a grill ornament; the 1977 MC is the only 2nd gen MC to have a stand-up hood ornament ... the very same one that your '73 has.....

Hmmm...interesting ;).

Cort,

Thanks for the PM. My father emailed the guy from montemania yesterday. He's got a backup plan to eliminate the filler panels altogether and push the bumper in closer, a la the 70-72 Montes. That hood ornament was on it for as long as I can remember. My grandfather might have had it installed at the dealer (he also sprung for the dealer undercoating), or he may have put it on himself.

ocn, looks like we're getting our wish. My dad is shopping around for sets of Rally wheels on eBay. Of course it was his idea, not mine :wink:

Cort,

Thanks for the PM. My father emailed the guy from montemania yesterday.

*nods*

You are welcome! Give him a few days to reply ... I know he gets busy ... especially since in the last 24 hours, I've sent you and another person to him ;).

He's got a backup plan to eliminate the filler panels altogether and push the bumper in closer, a la the 70-72 Montes.

Oh, cool! Would love to see pics of that if he goes that route....

That hood ornament was on it for as long as I can remember. My grandfather might have had it installed at the dealer (he also sprung for the dealer undercoating), or he may have put it on himself.

Hmmm...interesting. I'm not sure when those would've become available to the public, but I can't imagine that they would've come out much before 1977 ... when they debuted on the '77 MC.

Although, on an MC board a few months ago, someone from overseas joined, claiming that the '77 MC stand-up emblem on his '73 was "stock". Course, we haven't seen/heard from him in a while, so who knows. Even so, I can't imagine that the '77 MC stand-up emblem would've been available in 1973 ... but, guess you never know....

*shrugs*

Very cool, an exceptional car from a dark era when most

cars were quickly becoming FUGLY in a hurry. Compared

to any W-bodied Monte this one is a great looking car &

it's quite a sleeper since big blocks got very scarce by the

mid 1970s. Even though it's not a hardtop the greenhouse

is still attractive, as is the rest of the car with the one

exception of the 5mph bumpers, btu even those are quite

sleek compared to what came after.... esp. from Ford.

Love the lack of a vinyl top.

220197[/snapback]

Seriously, man. Your grandfather was one of like eight people nationwide that didn't order a car with a vinyl top in the 70's. He made the right decision. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

This is like the only 1970s car I've ever seen in my

life that I'd trade straight up for my 1964 Super 88.