Decklids and Trunk Openings

aaaantoine

In modern car design, function follows form. Case in point: the modern-day decklid.

For the greatest contrast, you might refer to a mid-60's car such as this 1966 Cadillac:

Posted Image

Then take a look at this current generation STS:

Posted Image

Now, I'm not saying we should go back to the humongous trunks of the 60s. But consider that my dad's friend owns a previous-generation Impala, with a huge trunk. He had purchased a lawnmower, and he wanted to load it into the trunk. He couldn't. Not because the trunk was too small, no. But the trunk opening was too small. And that's just upsetting.

There have been numerous times where I have tried to load something into the Cobalt's huge-for-its-class trunk, but the opening was simply too small. Manufacturers try to compensate by cutting the trunk lid deeper into the bumper of the car (hence some very interesting designs in this decade: the Grand Prix, the Altima, the-- well, just about every 3 box design).

So, screw sedans and coupes. How about a wagon? No one likes wagons anymore. How about an SUV? So, I'm going to halve my fuel economy for a bigger trunk opening? That's a great idea! Where do I sign up? A minivan? Another vehicle with the wrong stigma. How about a hatchback?

Hmm... How about a hatchback...

Hatchbacks and short wagons make up for the drastic change in trunk opening size over the past 40 years. In GM's stable alone, consider the Cheverolet Malibu MAXX. While it has less overall cargo space than the Malibu Sedan, it has that big hatch that allows for large objects to be inserted into the vehicle, such as televisions, air conditioners, and lawnmowers. And subjectively speaking, the MAXX also looks better than the Malibu. Also subjectively speaking, that's not saying much.

There are other more innovative designs such as the Mazda 6 Hatchback. When closed, it bears remarkable resemblance to the sedan, but with a wiper blade attached to the window. Surely this is the answer to the problem at hand? Well, maybe. But the Mazda 6 trunk is smaller than the Impala trunk, and won't fit that same lawnmower unless you can fold down the back seats. And many enthusiasts on this board don't want a hatch, for their own reasons.

So the engineering solution is to make a bigger trunk opening. But how does an engineer pass that to the design team?

Before I say anything else on the matter, I meant for this to be an open ended thread before I started writing it like an article. So I'm going to cut it off at this point to allow others to express their thoughts on my insanity.

Edited by aaaantoine

You bring up an interesting point and something that I've wondered about for a while. For whatever reason hatchbacks in this country aren't popular. But, you know how on some suv's they have it set up so that you can just open the glass part of the tailgate or open the whole tailgate. Couldn't they do something similar on a car and have it set up to just open the trunk, or open the whole thing like a hatchback? I'm sure there is some engineering issue with strength or rigidity or something.

You could keep the look of a trunk and only use the hatchback when needed to get something to fit in.

My parent's (2 door sedan) 2005 Cobalt has a VERY small trunk inlet.

It's the 2nd dumbest thing about the car... FWD being first.

When I need to move big things with the Cobalt, I just put 'em in the back.

TV? takes up one back seat. Air conditioner? Same.

My bike, I just take off the wheels, fold down one rear seat, and stick it in the trunk. That's one thing the trunk opening IS big enough for.

I've never known a car with a big trunk to compare. My parents and friends have always had SUVs, pickups, sports cars or compacts.

I think the thing with the most practical true "trunk" that I've really known would be my mother's '93 T/A...

When I need to move big things with the Cobalt, I just put 'em in the back.

TV? takes up one back seat. Air conditioner? Same.

221565[/snapback]

I've done the same with boxes and a filing cabinet. But it's really a PitA to get them back out of the back of the coupe. :lol:

My favorite anecdote about trunk space was walking out of office deport with one of those dry erase boards - 4.5'x3.5' to be exact. It happened this woman also bought a similar, but slightly smaller one, probably 4'x3'. She was trying to somehow fit it in her Volvo S40 sedan and eventually resorted to moving her child seat to the front seat, folding down both rear seats, and wedging the thing up against the headrests. I popped the trunk, tossed it in, closed it, and drove away.

goes to show that looks still dictate.

i've always been impressed with how the mazda6 hatch looks sexy sedanish, but has an extremely usable trunk. its much better than the Harry Malibu Maxx setup.

Only downfall, in winter, you open the hatch to load the trunk and all the heat you've got inside the car is gone. With true sedans you can load the trunk and inside of the car does not get an arctic blast.

My ford 500 has a huge trunk and a decent size opening. I've been able to get things in there I had ZERO chance of putting in my oval taurus. Between the size of car/trunk and folding front and rear seats, I get near SUV capabilites for carrying certain things. The 89 Taurus I had had a big trunk but the opening did not go very low.

This just goes to show why SUV's became popular. Cargo flexibility (and all weather capabilities). Now the market is moving to crossovers. And people buy them because they can get bigger items in the cargo bay than sedans can.

It goes to show why an Acadia will be such a high demand vehicle. It can swallow a bunch of cargo and really renders the sedan as a pretty worthless vehicle. Anyone with a semi regular need to put big items in their vehicle doesn't look at sedans anymore. Even if you buy a 20" TV you can't get the box in many cars. When i worked at best buy most folks with sedans would need to take the TV out of the box to take it home. Sad.

Edited by regfootball

WIWTL (when I win the lottery)

I'll find a rotted out '49 Buick fastback &

make it a hardtop, hatchback hot rod on

a tube chassis with a I8 made by fusing

two ecotech 2.4 motors together with a

40" long common crank & cam.

I remember when I took my 19" computer monitor home in the 2000 Monte Carlo. I couldnt get it in the trunk so I had to put it in the passenger part. Had no right side vision at all. With the Equinox getting my 24" TV home wasnt a problem at all. My Bonneville has a big opening so I could at least fit those things in it but the lid doesnt close so you have to use bungee straps to hold it down. So that isnt a perfect solution either.

WIWTL (when I win the lottery)

I'll find a rotted out '49 Buick fastback &

make it a hardtop, hatchback hot rod on

a tube chassis with a I8 made by fusing

two ecotech 2.4 motors together with a

40" long common crank & cam.

222329[/snapback]

wanna make a deal? if i win big lotto money, i'll help you build that buick. but if you win, you help me build mine: 65 Riv, FHT, aluminium LC2, 6MT transaxle, etc...

odd that such a car comes up in a thread about trunk space, huh? :D

someone put this body on zeta