Sunfire? ...More Like Shitfire

Cory Wolfe

As my mom walked in the living room last night, she says "Cory, your dad blew my car up." I say "What?!" She tells me "I hope you don't plan on going anywhere tonight, as the Sunfire's blocking the driveway." I didn't really believe her at first, but upon looking out, there it is. It couldn't make it the last 40 feet or so to her spot in the driveway. All, night, I heard my parents talking about it. My mom asking my dad what's wrong with it... Him telling her that he doesnt know, etc, etc. I do go out last night, however, and had to cut through the yard. This morning, I let my mom take my Millenia. I was expecting to since last night, so I left my keys downstairs. She left while my dad and my uncle are overlooking the Sunfire. I go out to see what's up and all that. It's running, so it's not exactly blown up, but something's obviously off. It's missing, running pretty rough and doesnt want to stay running. They have one of those diagnostics things hooked up to it, reading codes. Earlier, they were also talking on the phone with another uncle of mine that's a mechanic. That's about as much as I know. It was too cold to stand out there, so I went back inside. I noticed they eventually gave up. The hood's still up.

So yeah... What perfect timing. Looks like I'm sharing my car for now.

Ohhh... I see the dead deer with glass eyes in your sig, saw your hints in other threads, I thought she hit a deer with it.

Good luck to your Pop in getting it diagnosed. Your mom's prolly embarrassed to be riding around in a rusty Mazda. :smilewide:

hmmm... that sucks... it mustve looked your millenia in the eyes or something... oh maybe it realized what it was sharing a driveway with and killed itself... :P

This could be a big break for you! You want a new car right? Let your mom drive it all over, have her fall in love with it, and then give it to her, and she may consider helping you buy another car!

Or... she'll see how much it sucks and help you buy another car out of pity.

Either way works!

As my mom walked in the living room last night, she says "Cory, your dad blew my car up." I say "What?!" She tells me "I hope you don't plan on going anywhere tonight, as the Sunfire's blocking the driveway." I didn't really believe her at first, but upon looking out, there it is. It couldn't make it the last 40 feet or so to her spot in the driveway. All, night, I heard my parents talking about it. My mom asking my dad what's wrong with it... Him telling her that he doesnt know, etc, etc. I do go out last night, however, and had to cut through the yard. This morning, I let my mom take my Millenia. I was expecting to since last night, so I left my keys downstairs. She left while my dad and my uncle are overlooking the Sunfire. I go out to see what's up and all that. It's running, so it's not exactly blown up, but something's obviously off. It's missing, running pretty rough and doesnt want to stay running. They have one of those diagnostics things hooked up to it, reading codes. Earlier, they were also talking on the phone with another uncle of mine that's a mechanic. That's about as much as I know. It was too cold to stand out there, so I went back inside. I noticed they eventually gave up. The hood's still up.

So yeah... What perfect timing. Looks like I'm sharing my car for now.

Man, that really sucks! Your mom does not have much luck with cars. I would guess it is the Oxygen sensor, it's not expensive and could cause that.

I agree with capriceman its probably a sensor that has failed did you get any codes when you had the daignostics scanner hooked up since that will pretty much tell you where your problem is at least. I don't think it is an oxygen sensor because it would not cause the car to not run at all or rough since the oxygen sensor isn't used until the car hits operating temp. It will run fine without it even hooked up just get the check engine soon light and some decreased mpg.

Edited by Buickfosure

Hmmm...Try checking the spark plugs...If it is misfiring perhaps one of your spark plugs is bad...are those cars prone to valve cover gasket leaks? Maybe you have some oil in the spark plug well? It could also be a bad cat causing backup in the system. Try taking a hammer/mallet and knocking on the cats...if it rattles then you have a bad cat.

Well, I checked with my dad, my uncle thinks its an ignition module, if I recall correctly. The diagnostics thing showed the code for a random misfire. He checked the plugs and appearantly they were alright, though, a few of them were described as "wet". That's as much as I know right now... I'm not following closely enough to give much of a description. So yeah, it's certainly not blown up. Gotta love how my mom exaggerated that. :P

How about blown head gasket? You'd be surprised how my

Quad-4 Achieva ran/sounded after the head gasket blew.