A real collectable Intrigue

Quite the story.. I read it all with great interest. The funny thing is as much as GM tried to get rid of Oldsmobile, it will not die. In the new Car and Driver they had that whole story about those Oldsmobiles in that rally race. They drove an Aurora. This guy who is selling this car really selling this Oldsmobile in how he talks about the car.

The wheels are actually kind of cool, but the interior... :blink: NOTSOMUCH.

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue SC-3 (stands for show car 3)

This one of a kind show car was built by the GM special vehicle division (SVD), specifically for the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) of 2001. It was created to help promote sales of the newly released 2001 Aurora body style. Oldsmobile built three of these cars (an Aurora, and Intrigue, and an Alero) exactly the same way to highlight their Oldsmobile display at the NAIAS and make it stand out from the other division’s displays. Oldsmobile called these cars SC-3 because three of them were built. Very shortly after these cars were created (less than one month to be exact) GM announced that Oldsmobile division would be phased out starting December of 2000 and the last Oldsmobile cars would be made in the summer of 2004. GM wanted to keep Oldsmobile’s public perception and exposure to a minimum because they figured the less press that the division got the easier the phase out would go over with enthusiasts. As a result of their proclamation and aim to minimize exposure and rekindled excitement regarding the dying division, these cars were only displayed 3 times, once at the 2001 Los Angeles NAIAS which was held January 6, 2001, once at Community Day, May 23, 2001, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and once at the Oldsmobile Homecoming show in Lansing Michigan in August of 2001. After that the 3 cars got trailered and put away in GM's NAO basement in Milford Michigan, covered up and forgotten about.

Fast forward the clock to March 11, 2004 when GM announced that they would be auctioning 2 of these SC-3 cars off to a special invite only (mostly Oldsmobile dealerships) auction at Barrett-Jackson Auction along with 37 other General Motors Special Vehicles that were to be sold at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction – Palm Beach Auction, March 19-21 at the South Florida Fairgrounds in West Palm Beach, Florida. The cars were then stripped of their non-production equipment which included their CNC billet wheels and loaded on a trailer and shipped from Michigan to Florida to be sold at No Reserve. The auction itself was the fourth and final public appearances for the SC-3 Alero and Intrigue. A dealership in Columbus, Ohio (Immke Cadillac/Oldsmobile) bought the Intrigue and an experimental 2001 Aurora and a private collector named Ken Petrie from Royal Oak, Michigan purchased the Alero. In late summer of 2004 GM announced that the Aurora SC-3 would be taken to Schram’s Automotive in Waterford, Michigan along with several other Oldsmobile show vehicles (of which include the OSV Intrigues, Alero, Alero 442 and Silhouette and and the Indy Racing League pace cars) to be destroyed to end GM's liability on non-production cars. In August of 2004 The owner of Immke Cadillac who purchased The SC-3 Intrigue passed away and his dealership was purchased by the Lucas Oil company they had zero interest in the SC-3 Intrigue and had no idea what it even was. A Oldsmobile collector named Robert Eye (that's me) of Toledo, Ohio purchased the SC-3 Intrigue from Immke and purchased all of the original non production equipment (Including the CNC billet wheels) just days before these parts were destroyed by Schram's.

I have also obtained from the GM SVD the original paperwork (and an entire book covering ALL 3 of these cars) with plans for the car to be built, which includes production dates, CAD drawings, artist renderings of all three completed cars, GM online confidential interoffice memos and time schedules for when these cars were to be completed, these outline what was to be built, why it was built, and who was to be in charge of building it. In the listing are many scans directly from the book.

This is just the beginning of an incredible story of a one of a kind car and it's unlikely survival. The car is a one of a kind collectors item that is unique and highly desirable for only the most discriminating and elite of Automotive Collectors. My insurance company appraised the car and valued it at $60,000 and a private collector in South Carolina offered me $75,000 for this car last summer.

Details:

Paint:

Exceptional non-production paint with NO ORANGE PEEL even new Corvettes have orange peel!! With perfect gloss finish... “House of Colors” Pearl Sky Blue Paint with "ghost" (very neat in person appears only at certain angles) "Oldsmobile logo and Tiger/Zebra" striped cued onto fenders. This paint job has 5 coats of clear coat and 50+ hours of wet sanding. The paint job cost GM reportedly $25,000!!!

Wheels:

18" Budnik CNC Billet "rocket" Ultra high polished aluminum wheels the Schrader valves are on the inside of the rim to keep the clean smooth look. The tires are Michelin XGT Pilot Sport ZR Tires these wheels set GM back $4,000 EACH!!! Yeah that's $16,000 in just wheels!!!

Interior:

All blue interior which is all molded in light blue, custom striped interior Panels, steering wheel, and seat bolsters. Non Production Special Grain leather seats not just leather seating surfaces. Thickly piled custom cut blue carpet Non-production.

Billet aluminum brake, dead, and accelerator pedals with Olds logos machined into them.

Leather Floor mats with Oldsmobile SC-3 stripes embroidered into them.

Body:

Exhaust: Stainless steel dual exhaust with stainless steel "tail light shape" matched exhaust tips. This is the worlds only Intrigue with factory Dual Exhaust!!!

1” Lowering Kit

Custom rear fascia molded for dual exhaust cut outs.

Condition:

Car is in showroom condition with 1,800 miles, this car has always been covered and has never been wet or washed, still smells new inside. I am the first registered owner since I bought it from a GM dealership and it still retains its factory warranty as I bought the car in 2004.

This is the best of the SC-3 cars that remain (unfortunately the Aurora was scrapped) and the SC-3 Alero does not have the one of a kind "Rocket Wheels" as they were destroyed before I got to them.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own the one and only final Oldsmobile Autorama (now called NAIAS) car (one of the first, the 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 car sold for $3.2 Million at Barrett Jackson in 2005). If you are a car collector with an unlimited budget and an adequate facility to store and display this car, this one is for you. Maybe you are looking for an investment, well if that's the case look no further you found an excellent one indeed.

If you require pictures of specific areas of the car please email me at [email protected]

"In late summer of 2004 GM announced that the Aurora SC-3 would be taken to Schram’s Automotive in Waterford, Michigan along with several other Oldsmobile show vehicles (of which include the OSV Intrigues, Alero, Alero 442 and Silhouette and and the Indy Racing League pace cars) to be destroyed to end GM's liability on non-production cars."

That is the part that just about makes me cry... (but I have seen atleast some of them since then...)

Anybody that knows me on the site knows how much I love the Intrigue. Anything that derails it from its restraint and sophistication does not have my support. Great raw materials (the car), tacky execution (the modifications). :puke:

• 1 month later...

Odd that they would Crush the Aurora pace cars Also at Schramms. I would think with as famous as the 500 is that the Aurora that paced wouldbe a valuable part of G.M. heritage and be treated as such...

Or Not, I guess.

Chris

Actually I stand corrected. Re-reading the article it just says that the IRL pace cars were destroyed, not the actual 500 pace car.

Still seems silly.

Chris

How tacky! Now I remember why they shut Olds down.

:rolleyes:

Yeah and Pontiac is God's gift to automobiles,what with their tacky grey switches, gaudy interior designs and BMW wannabe gauge lighting, and oh yeah Pontiac also had to resort to using Oldsmobile Alero doors (Grand Am doors without the tacky plastic) to make the Grand Am halfway decent looking....Besides the Solstice, only the G8 is worth the time of day to look at as far as Pontiacs go...and its not even a real Pontiac.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...