Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Lutz Likes the Tundra

Lutz Likes the Tundra

The new Toyota Tundra, the Japanese automaker's first entry into the full-size pickup market dominated by U.S. automakers, got a positive review from an interesting source Tuesday: General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, who heads the automakers' product development efforts.

Lutz, meeting with reporters at the North American International Auto Show, said he was impressed with the new Tundra, which is on display at the show and is now hitting dealer showrooms, and that he has no doubt that Toyota (Charts) will meet its sales target of 200,000 of the vehicles a year.

"I took a good look at it today," Lutz said. "I think it's a very, very, very well executed large truck. It's got good styling, great interior. It's a very nice truck."

[...]

But Lutz said that he believes the new Tundra poses more of a challenge to Japanese automaker Nissan (Charts), which introduced the Titan full-size pickup in December 2003, than it does to GM.

CNN Money

Maybe Lutz is a bit senile? Hehe.

The Tundra is even uglier than the Titan.

Why do both of their names start with "T"? Sorry, random thought there.

Well, really, what could he say? At such a public forum, he has to temper his remarks. Cautious praise never hurts oneself. Public trashing of one's competition not only looks tacky, it can spark an ugly, public war. GM has built a bit of momentum, both in the truck market and the car market, so I think Lutz can afford to be gracious at this time. Toyota can be stopped dead in its tracks and I think Lutz knows that.

Well, really, what could he say? At such a public forum, he has to temper his remarks. Cautious praise never hurts oneself. Public trashing of one's competition not only looks tacky, it can spark an ugly, public war. GM has built a bit of momentum, both in the truck market and the car market, so I think Lutz can afford to be gracious at this time. Toyota can be stopped dead in its tracks and I think Lutz knows that.

Toyota can't be stopped 'dead in its tracks' even if another bomb was dropped on Japan.

Speechless... I hope he's being sarcastic. :blink:

Since when do looks play any part in a truck's abilities? I'm sure the Tundra is quite capable, but will appeal to a different crowd than the Silverado.

Im willing to wager the numbers indicate tundra sales will not win conquests but either introduce new buyers to the market,i.e. those who dont even have domestics on their radars or tacoma customers who want something a little bigger. As it is the Tacoma has swelled in size and enjoys great sales. Guess well find out soon enough.

Its not as much sarcasm as it is humility.

I like Lutz's honesty. He stated the camry was a pile not too long ago. I think these are the same bold statements he says inside GM as well. That's why their products have improved.

Nice thinking. I hope Lutz pushes people and makes them realize average is no longer good enough. Once they get the idea instilled in them and ingrained into the corporate culture GM will no longer have some of the problems it did/does.

A few too many Very's in his quote but he said what he had to say. It is a very nice truck and will be a tough competitor.

Hey, the pic from your signature --- is that from Flint, MI? More specifically near the dorms at Kettering?

Maybe Lutz is a bit senile? Hehe.

The Tundra is even uglier than the Titan.

Why do both of their names start with "T"? Sorry, random thought there.

Because T means TOUGH Biatch!!!!!!!(no offense)

T means TITANIC!

They start with a T because they got small Japanese balls and need to compensate for what they are lacking..

T is for TACOMA.. T is also for T100.

The Power of the T!

The T's are coming The T's are coming Americaaaaaaa :pokeowned:

Edited by CadillacVseries

T means TITANIC!

They start with a T because they got small Japanese balls and need to compensate for what they are lacking..

The Power of the T!

That was really unnecessary.

T means TITANIC!

The Power of the T!

He pitties the foo........

Posted Image

Edited by prototype66