Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cadillac unveils 'King of Bling' Escalade

Northstar

By Jason Stein
Automotive News / September 26, 2005

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54631

DETROIT -- General Motors might not have Snoop Dogg in a commercial. But it will have a Cadillac with factory-installed 22-inch wheels.

GM is still a few months away from unveiling its next generation of Cadillac SUVs, but the automaker already is nicknaming its 2007 Escalade the "King of Bling." GM can thank a few trendsetters for the tips.

Two years ago, during the early development of its next-generation Escalade SUV, GM brought in more than 30 of the biggest names in sports and entertainment as consultants on the vehicle.

A month ago, GM brought back the same group to make sure Cadillac got everything just right.

"We had a private showing to these same guys, and they gave us input that we then brought back," says Jim Taylor, Cadillac's general marketing manager. "They took another look, and I was pleased to hear from these hip-hop guys, 'I'm not going to have to do anything to this vehicle," in the aftermarket. "That was music to my ears."

To bling up the Escalade, Cadillac made 22-inch wheels optional (the 2006 model offers 20-inch wheels), added a glitzier chrome grille and used interior materials such as continuously lit white-LED backlighting and richer fabrics.

Taylor says designing the Escalade to meet the tastes of the influencer is not easy.

"It's a fine line," he says. "If it becomes commercialized, it looks forced, and immediately that group can turn on you."

The Escalade will be available in the first quarter next year.

King of Bling?  I dont know if I like that title.  Maybe "King Cadillac" would be better.  Bling is a word that needs to disappear.

[post="20167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

THe word bling is a blow to the english language! Plus, I think Cadillac needs to ween their Escalade off of the gangster rapper image and carefuly move to the "American Excess" image. Cadillac needs to be the car that tells people that "I have made it in this world and I'm going to shove it in your face". The other luxury makes can keep the image of "I am rich and can afford this car". There is a BIG difference. :lol:

THe word bling is a blow to the english language! Plus, I think Cadillac needs to ween their Escalade off of the gangster rapper image and carefuly move to the "American Excess" image. Cadillac needs to be the car that tells people that "I have made it in this world and I'm going to shove it in your face". The other luxury makes can keep the image of "I am rich and can afford this car". There is a BIG difference. :lol:

[post="20170"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe that the Escalade WILL appeal to more that what you call " gangsta rapper" :rolleyes: The Escalade is a Status Symbol. IMO the Escalade says you have money as you stated in your post. Does the " gansta rapper" :rolleyes: have money? Yes. Is the " gansta rapper" :rolleyes: saying "I am rich and can afford this car".? Yes. If he " pimps out " his ride, whip, etc. That is his preference.
That does not keep "Daddy Warbucks" from buying it.http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Also do not worry about the word "bling" it will come to past. there ar other word that are far worse (i.e. baby mama , baby daddy, etc.....) but that a different topic for a different time. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="20170"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Here in Atlanta I see more suburbanites buying Escalades than wanna-be rappers.

Here in Atlanta I see more suburbanites buying Escalades than wanna-be rappers.

The CEO of my company drives one... pearl white, gold trim, stock chrome wheels...he's a white, 50-something golf-playing Canadian guy..I'm not sure if he's down with the gangsta rap image and hip-hop music in general.. :)

It's not, it's very tasteful looking and very appealing.  I hate the current one, but the new one is dynamite.  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="20202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's all I needed to hear. B) I can't wait to see it and have very high hopes for the Escalade. If the has an imposing presence with the understated Caddy lux look of the STS while having very cool options like '22s as options, I'll be very pleased. I hope it has a unique interior dash, etc.

Those complaining of Bling sound like the conservatives that have and are currently destroying this country. We need to grow Cadillac starting with the basic fully loaded to the ultiimate Bling. Like licadillac said, you do not see BMW, Mercedes, Lexus or infinity worring about bling. They are pushing the envelope. Let us have our Cadillac V for all models including the Escalade model. :P