600 HP Vette announced

jrockb4

I did not see this story here yet. Not many details, just a vow of at least 600 Hp and a move up in range and price.

Snake Charmer

Limited-edition Corvette will jump to 600 hp

By RICK KRANZ | Link to Original Article @ Autoweek | Published 02/12/07, 9:11 am et

Posted Image

CHICAGO -- If 505 hp is good, can 600 be better?

Call it horsepower wars. In summer 2009, Chevrolet will add a limited-edition Corvette producing about 600 hp.

General Motors' announcement at the Chicago Auto Show last week follows a vow by GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz after the Chrysler group showed the 600-hp Dodge Viper last month at the Detroit auto show. That vehicle eclipsed the horsepower rating of the high-end Corvette Z06.

"There is a distinct appetite for something beyond the Z06 in performance, beyond the Z06 in exclusivity and beyond the Z06 in price," Lutz said in an interview last week.

The car is expected to have styling cues that separate it from other Corvette models.

The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 currently holds bragging rights among the Detroit 3 for having the most horsepower -- 600 from its V-10 engine. That is a 90-hp boost over the 2006 model; a 2007 model was not offered. Dodge says the Viper will go from 0 to 60 mph in less than four seconds.

Although Lutz did not mention pricing, industry sources expect the price for the limited-edition Corvette to approach $100,000. Currently there is a $25,505 step from the lowest-priced coupe to the Z06 coupe.

The 2007 Corvette coupe and convertible have a 6.0-liter, 400-hp V-8, while the Z06 has a 505-hp, 7.0-liter V-8.

Chevrolet produces about 3,000 Corvette Z06s annually. Production of the higher-horsepower Corvette would be lower.

Said Lutz: "Corvette has taken on the character of a brand" and can support several models

I could still see a CORVETTE brand in the future like a GM made FERRARI with several models. From a Turbo-or-Supercharged V6 350+HP KAPPA based base model to a MID ENGINE 700+HP HYPER EXOTIC with todays models positioned between them! There could even be a highend 2+2 GT like LUTZ defunked model that was to be positioned above Caddy! CORVETTE is a big enough name to be its own brand!!

I disagree, Chevy is getting NO BUMP whatsoever from Corvette.....and the Corvette name is pulled down by the Aveo, Cobalt and Malibu.

Corvette needs to be its own brand, and can sell alongside Cadillacs and Hummers, Chevy can have the Camaro.

That's what's happening over here, but it's because the Corvette doesn't sit well with the rebadged Daewoos. I don't think I'd do that in NA.

Finally! Can't wait to see it.

Corvette has evolved over the years, and so has Chevrolet. In order for Chevrolet to compete with Toyota head-on, it needs to increasingly focus on mid-market customers. The Corvette would do a lot more good being sold as an independent brand in the same showrooms as Cadillac, at least in East and West Coast showrooms and in ROW markets. A Cadillac-plus-Corvette two-brand lineup looks a lot more like the US perception of BMW or Mercedes, and that's where Cadillac needs to be.

The Corvette is a brand within itself really. It has alot of history with it and the value of the Corvette name is priceless. Anytime anyone has ever asked me what I drive, I tell them I have a Corvette. They instantly know what it is. Yeah, I went to a Cheverolet dealer to buy it, and I believe it should stay that way. There's no sense is screwing with a winning formula. When I think of Corvette, I never. . ever think of Aveo. Corvette should stay a Chevrolet. Chevrolet is America's brand and the Corvette is America's sports car.

Corvette has evolved over the years, and so has Chevrolet. In order for Chevrolet to compete with Toyota head-on, it needs to increasingly focus on mid-market customers. The Corvette would do a lot more good being sold as an independent brand in the same showrooms as Cadillac, at least in East and West Coast showrooms and in ROW markets. A Cadillac-plus-Corvette two-brand lineup looks a lot more like the US perception of BMW or Mercedes, and that's where Cadillac needs to be.

It's an idea of GM wasting money, period.

NO!

Corvette is and will always be a Chevrolet.

This ill-conceived idea is stupid & it needs

to die once and for all!

THE CAR IS CHEVROLET CORVETTE OR CHEVY VETTE

There is more fun of whooping a Ferrari with a "Chevrolet" Corvette than just a Corvette.

That car is still a crowd puller into the chevy dealer and whatever leverage chevy has to its history.

I know Camaro is coming down the road, but Vette is the Flagship of Chevy brand and it should be.

• 3 weeks later...

Summer 2009? So another 2+yrs. And the Blue Devil has been seen in various mule formats (according to Josh) for years!!

How long does it take to get this thing to market?

this is General Motors were talking about. That would be too smart for GM to build something right off the bat while interest is still at its highest.

this is General Motors were talking about. That would be too smart for GM to build something right off the bat while interest is still at its highest.

This is nothing new the C4 was around for several years in several forms before it came out.

Also it was several years of twin turbos and King of the Hill before we saw the ZR1 and Callaway option. Keep in mind this program pobably runs on less funding than most to they have to wait till they have enough to finish the car. We got 2-3 years of spy photos and short storys before they ever hit the streets.

I recall the Fiero stories started in 1979 and went on like the Blue Devil till Sept of 1983 when it was released.

While GM is proud of the Vette it is not their first priority. It is a small team and they do not get the funding like the truck develpment team would get.

This is nothing new the C4 was around for several years in several forms before it came out.

Also it was several years of twin turbos and King of the Hill before we saw the ZR1 and Callaway option. Keep in mind this program pobably runs on less funding than most to they have to wait till they have enough to finish the car. We got 2-3 years of spy photos and short storys before they ever hit the streets.

I recall the Fiero stories started in 1979 and went on like the Blue Devil till Sept of 1983 when it was released.

While GM is proud of the Vette it is not their first priority. It is a small team and they do not get the funding like the truck develpment team would get.

I dont understand wether you are agreeing with me or disagreeing but to say that GM is good about making there concepts within 1.5 years is a pretty uninformed statement IMO. But i do think its good to put years of thought, engineering, and trial and error like they seem to have done with the new GMT 900's. Just dont show the concepts 3 years before.