What if Magna bought Chrysler?

There is speculation in the greater Toronto media, starting yesterday, that Mississauga, Ontario based parts supplier Magna is looking at buying Chrysler. The reaction in the lunch room here was largely that people would consider Chrysler again, if it were Canadian, and especially if it were based in the GTA (greater Toronto).

What would your reaction be to a Canadian owned Chrysler?

How would the UAW respond?

they're based in aurora, not Sauga.

as I said in other threads, I'd be for it for mostly patriotic reasons. But seeing as they have experience building Chryslers & Jeeps in Austria, and they've made a lot of parts for them (most of my projects at my last job for Magna subsidiaries were for Chrysler programs), it could be a good fit.

That being said, they might be shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their parts business with other companies, though other parts manufacturers would thrive.

I guess in theory they could bring all their parts manufacturing in house to a)cut out the middle man to lower costs and b)make up for business lost when other automakers stop makin their parts through Magna.

i'm sure Belinda would be all over supporting environmental legislation regarding toughening emissions laws if daddy bought Chrysler :rolleyes:

EDIT:

REFERENCE: For our american friends, the daughter of Magna's owner, Belinda Stronach, is a member of our parliament

Edited by Dragon

I'm not so sure I'd be for this... it might mean Belinda Stronach may be called to manage all or a portion of the company...

why is that bad?

didn't she do a good job running Magna before? Plus it would get her outta politics...well, at least as an MP

I'd be for it and would rather see Magna buy them instead of GM and Canada would have their first auto company and maybe they can add some special editions like a Charger EH or Caliber ICE.

Ford was stupid enough to release SEL versions of their cars in Canada. sel = salt (french). Yes, do you have any Taurus SALTs in today? Stupid...

Canada would have their first auto company, eh? :AH-HA_wink:

I know they were based in Flint, but Buick and Chevrolet were both helped in the early days by McLaughlin, a Canadian manufacturer.

http://www.gmcanada.com/inm/gmcanada/engli..._gm_canada.html

Sure I got nothing against the Cannucks.

I bet the Chrysler 300C & Viper will post much less impressive

perf. numbers with square wheels though. :P

Posted Image

Ford was stupid enough to release SEL versions of their cars in Canada. sel = salt (french). Yes, do you have any Taurus SALTs in today? Stupid...

Canada would have their first auto company, eh? :AH-HA_wink:

I know they were based in Flint, but Buick and Chevrolet were both helped in the early days by McLaughlin, a Canadian manufacturer.

http://www.gmcanada.com/inm/gmcanada/engli..._gm_canada.html

Good ol' Flint. I wish it was like it was instead of like it is.

Does Magna make Magnaflow exhausts? :scratchchin:

No. Magnaflow is American.

magna from wikipedia

Magna International Inc. TSX: MG is a Canadian company based in Aurora, Ontario. It is Canada's largest automobile parts manufacturer, and one of the country's largest companies. It also owns the successful Magna Steyr automobile production company of Austria.

The company was founded in 1957 by Frank Stronach as Multimatic. This company merged with Magna Electronics in 1969, and the combined company became Magna International in 1973.

Magna manufactures auto parts that are primarily supplied to General Motors, Ford Motor Company, and Chrysler Group of Daimler-Chrysler. In addition to the Big 3 automakers, Magna's major customers include Volkswagen, BMW and Toyota. In Europe, Magna Steyr holds contracts for the assembly of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Voyager minivan and BMW X3 SUV. Magna has a relativelely minimal presence in Asia.

It would be neat for this to happen...finally, Canadians doing something ballsy. Props to Magna if this goes through.

We do plenty of awesome stuff. *Cough* Blackberry *Cough*

Plus, we Canadian s make great TV too! 'Red Green Show' anyone? Or Perhaps 'Trailer Park Boys' :D

We also have a famous cartoon duo too!

Posted Image

:canada:

Sure I got nothing against the Cannucks.

I bet the Chrysler 300C & Viper will post much less impressive

perf. numbers with square wheels though. :P

Posted Image

don't forget the conversion rate too :lol:

hmmm...Magna Magnum?

Edited by Dragon