2007 Nissan Versa Announced

Variance

Nissan Announces 2007 Versa Hatchback and Sedan [Sept. 28, 05]

– Other Changes for 2007 Include All-New Sentra and Altima –

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. (Sept. 28, 2005) – Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today announced the addition of an all-new Nissan Versa hatchback and sedan for the 2007 model year. The new entry-level Versa is expected to have a MSRP starting at around $12,000. The hatchback model is scheduled to go on sale in early summer 2006, with the Versa sedan following in late 2006. The Versa is one of many enhancements to Nissan’s 2007 car lineup, which will include an all-new Sentra, all-new Altima and enhanced Maxima.

“Versa rounds out our strong car portfolio, which is going to see a lot of new activity in the coming model year,” said Jed Connelly, senior vice president, sales and marketing, NNA, at the Versa preview held at the Nissan Technical Center North America – Farmington Hills. “Combined with the popular Nissan Sentra, the new Versa gives Nissan a major presence in the under $20,000 sedan segments, which currently account for nearly 1.9 million annual sales.”

Versa is an international design, built on Nissan’s advanced “B” platform. Versa models sold in North America will be assembled at Nissan’s Aguascalientes, Mexico facility, which also builds the current Nissan Sentra.

The name Versa reflects the “versatile space” provided by the roomy interior and cargo area. Versa will be called Tiida in Mexico, Japan, China and other markets where the car is sold.

The design of the new Versa places a priority on interior roominess, a high quality interior and comfortable, stress-free environment.

“The Versa design and engineering teams found a way to put a big interior in a small car,” said Connelly. “The interior length, front to back, is over six feet long – equal to or larger than some full-size luxury sedans.” Both the Versa hatchback and Versa sedan also feature large cargo areas, ideal for owners with highly active lives.

Versa offers a high quality interior design and craftsmanship. The interior features a clean, simple design and layout that accentuates its surprising roominess. The Versa exterior features a dynamic look and attention to detail, with the body forms and long rooflines suggesting both the roominess inside and Versa’s performance capabilities.

Every Versa comes with a standard 1.8-liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine designed to satisfy both performance and environmental requirements. The all-new engine is rated at an estimated 120-horsepower and 125-plus lb-ft of torque (estimated). Fuel economy is estimated at a combined 38 miles per gallon with the available Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) transmission (final engine performance and fuel economy rating will be finalized closer to vehicle on-sale date).

“With the availability of the smooth, efficient CVT in Versa, we’re putting some of our best technology on our entry-level vehicle,” said Connelly.

The Versa sedan and hatchback will be offered in several models and with a long list of standard and available features and amenities, including available Intelligent Key, Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System, satellite radio and Rockford Fosgate-powered subwoofer.

“With its highly affordable price, Versa offers a great opportunity for new buyers to experience Nissan’s performance, technology and quality for the first time,” said Connelly. “With an expanding consumer market for high quality, highly efficient, high value small vehicles, Versa is in an ideal position for 2007 and beyond.”

In North America, Nissan’s operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. More information on Nissan North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at http://www.nissanUSA.com and http://www.infiniti.com.

After taunting us with that tantilizing concept, they should be punished for building this Renault clone.

Wonder what happened to the Cube coming over...

[post="21495"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just to dispel any thoughts about this being a Renault rebadge, it's not. This is essentially the Tiida that exists in Japan and elsewhere (as it says in the press release). It's built on a joint platform between the two companies.

I have no idea about the Cube. I've read conflicting articles on whether it's coming here or not. Of course, those same articles stated the Tiida (Versa) wasn't coming, so it's anyone's guess. Edited by VarianceJ30

Just to dispel any thoughts about this being a Renault rebadge, it's not. This is essentially the Tiida that exists in Japan and elsewhere (as it says in the press release). It's built on a joint platform between the two companies.

I have no idea about the Cube. I've read conflicting articles on whether it's coming here or not. Of course, those same articles stated the Tiida (Versa) wasn't coming, so it's anyone's guess.

[post="21504"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It might not be a rebadge, but it sure as hell looks like the Megane (except the rear isn't as extreme on the Versa)

Looks like a WitchDoctor shrunk down a Quest same way as they do heads. :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

What everyone has said since the concept version first debuted at Tokyo two years ago. Although the Versa sedan (Tiida Latio) is shorter than the Sentra, in every other respect it is a bigger vehicle that in every other market outside North America is a direct replacement for the "B" Sentra/Sunny and the "N" Almera/Pulsar. I expect the North American Sentra will be replaced by the next-generation Bluebird Sylphy instead, currently based on the same platform as the last Sunny and Pulsar.

At some point they have got to figure out that not all people want big cars.

The problem is that people prefer big cars, but won't be able to afford them. Wealthy investor Jim Rogers said on Fox's Cavuto on Business, that oil will be $200/barrel within 10 years because of increasing demand from China. That means $10/gallon gasoline.

38 mpg and a roomy interior are very appleaing in these days of $3/gallon gas, with no relief in sight.  I don't think that an Aveo gets 38 mpg.

[post="21632"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My thoughts exactly. Like this Nissan, the 5-door Aveo does an outstanding job with space efficiency (I'd rather be stuck in the backseat of an Aveo vs. a Cobalt). But it's a big let-down when it comes to fuel efficiency. 38 MPG combined probably means a hwy EPA rating in the low to mid 40's, which is outstanding for a gas engine. You'd probably do a lot better in real world fuel economy by getting an Ecotec Malibu than you would with an Aveo...for not that much more $ really.

Look, this segment isn't going to be that sexy, but I think we're going to find there's a huge market for a fuel/space efficient $12-15K cars like this. Perfect for first-time buyers. Perfect for the household that needs/wants to have a truck or big vehicle for towing or hauling cargo/people but needs that second car for the spouse that simply drives to work alone every morning.

My thoughts exactly. Like this Nissan, the 5-door Aveo does an outstanding job with space efficiency (I'd rather be stuck in the backseat of an Aveo vs. a Cobalt). But it's a big let-down when it comes to fuel efficiency. 38 MPG combined probably means a hwy EPA rating in the low to mid 40's, which is outstanding for a gas engine. You'd probably do a lot better in real world fuel economy by getting an Ecotec Malibu than you would with an Aveo...for not that much more $ really.

Look, this segment isn't going to be that sexy, but I think we're going to find there's a huge market for a fuel/space efficient $12-15K cars like this.  Perfect for first-time buyers. Perfect for the household that needs/wants to have a truck or big vehicle for towing or hauling cargo/people but needs that second car for the spouse that simply drives to work alone every morning.

[post="22172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. For just a commute, it would be a good car.

Looks are ok, looks nice inside though...

Not a bad car-a little awkward on the 4-door notchback sedan styling, and the pricing could be a little lower, but on the other hand, they have a lot of equipment to offer for the $12,000 starting price. It comes in S and SL trim levels, both with a 1.8-liter DOHC I-4 engine I think it was. According to AutoWeek, the wheelbase is a (long for what's supposed to be subcompact) 102.4", and an also-long-for-class 169.1" overall length (probably a little shorter for the HB sedan).

I was hoping for something a lot closer to that concept we saw months ago. This isn't bad, though. It should do well for those looking for some economy, and should definitely give this generation Aveo and the new honda subcompact some competition. I'd expect it to lose just a few sales because of the higher base price than the Aveo, but we'll see when the new Aveo bows for '07.

Not a bad car-a little awkward on the 4-door notchback sedan styling, and the pricing could be a little lower, but on the other hand, they have a lot of equipment to offer for the $12,000 starting price. It comes in S and SL trim levels, both with a 1.8-liter DOHC I-4 engine I think it was. According to AutoWeek, the wheelbase is a (long for what's supposed to be subcompact) 102.4", and an also-long-for-class 169.1" overall length (probably a little shorter for the HB sedan).

[post="22430"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not subcompact, it's "entry-level". The sedan is actually much bigger than the Sentra, although the overhangs have been reduced. All the Sentra's extra length and width is purely cosmetic. The Versa is bigger than the Focus (although not as space efficient), Impreza and Neon, interior space is beaten only by the Focus and Spectra; and the hatch — with more rear headroom and a taller cargo area — is in the EPA "midsize" class. That 169.1" length is actually for the hatchback (3.5" longer bumpers in NA), the sedan is 175.9" long (2.9" longer). It's height creates great headroom, and enormous rear legroom, although it's not as tall as the MPVs such as the xB or Cube (a Cube is coming too, but the Cube is not coming). As I've said, in most markets this is the new Sentra, North America will get something else as a (late) switch.