So I went to Easter mass today...

So my familt and I went to mass today...I'm not really religious for various reasons, but my mom insisted so we went (this includes my girlfriend). Partway through the mass the priest asked everyone to raise their had and repeat what he said (I forget the words), but this is exactly what it looked like:

Posted Image

My girlfriend said that honestly scared her...and when you thin about it it is kinda freaky...it's like a cult...a really big one.

Ain't religion great? (not really, but it can be entertaining).

So my familt and I went to mass today...I'm not really religious for various reasons, but my mom insisted so we went (this includes my girlfriend). Partway through the mass the priest asked everyone to raise their had and repeat what he said (I forget the words), but this is exactly what it looked like:

My girlfriend said that honestly scared her...and when you thin about it it is kinda freaky...it's like a cult...a really big one.

Kinda reminds me of this clip I saw a while ago. Check out about halfway through the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CgvgjfwyPs

Let's face it: all religions are one form of brain washing or the other. The only difference is the "moderate" religions (like the United Church that my family used to go to) package it up in more discrete niblets. The last time I went to a Church service for anything other than a funeral or wedding was a gay (MCC) Church in Toronto here, nearly 30 years ago. Now how "open" can you get? Even that Church scared me, as the minister waved his arms over his head and shouted how he had been cured from diabetes by the Lord, etc., etc. I was 17 and only went to impress my new boyfriend. End of my Church days and end of the boyfriend.

Sometimes, the pomp and ceremony can be kind of fun, like at the big Catholic Churches, but I just feel silly when watching them. Like watching Springer.

Posted Image

Yeah, I remember all that. We did it at the church I used to go to (before I quit going alltogether). It wasn't until I was older when I realized what exactly the church looked like when we did that.

I found out that day that priests get annoyed when you and your brother start laughing your heads off during prayer.

Uh... that's not like my church whatsoever, but I'm Roman Catholic, so it could be we just have a different procedure.

As for the religion comments made, please realize that most religious people are in fact, silent about their religion, and don't want to push it in everyones faces. I'm a reasonably devout Catholic, but I'm certainly not 'brainwashed' ... People who try to spread Christianity with their loud mouths, and ignorance piss me off, and they piss me off more than you would think.

Some people are 'brainwashed,' or indoctrinated, however. Apparently my choice of music is a sin according to quite a few people, and they made it known to me too. Who would have thought Jesus would hate 'Warrant?' :rolleyes:

Edited by Captainbooyah

Posted Image

Its amazing how 1 specific group uses something THOUSANDS of years old and it becomes representative of evil or becomes cultish. The Nazi's adapted the right hand extended salute from the ancient Roman society. The extended right hand was used when addressing a group, as seen in many ancient statues or statues representing the ancient Romans.

Posted Image

Lookout it is the Nazi's!!! :banghead:

Also the Roman Catholic church has used that gesture to signify a group addressing each other and being of one voice for about 2,000 years (it began when it was common practice).

If you went to church more often you would notice this is used a few times a year, baptisms and confirmations being two examples.

As a person who chose to join the Catholic church, at the age of 24, out of my own want for religion and my finding a place that fit me, personally.

BTW the Nazi's also adapted the swastika from another ancient religion and used the eagle to represent values in much the same way as the US uses the eagle to symbolize its values.

If you really want to see interesting, and sickening, stuff check out how the extremist Muslim's are re-using much of the symbolism that the Nazi party used in prior to and during WWII to demonize and dehumanize both Christian and especially Jewish persons.

Its amazing how 1 specific group uses something THOUSANDS of years old and it becomes representative of evil or becomes cultish. The Nazi's adapted the right hand extended salute from the ancient Roman society. The extended right hand was used when addressing a group, as seen in many ancient statues or statues representing the ancient Romans.

Also the Roman Catholic church has used that gesture to signify a group addressing each other and being of one voice for about 2,000 years (it began when it was common practice).

If you went to church more often you would notice this is used a few times a year, baptisms and confirmations being two examples.

As a person who chose to join the Catholic church, at the age of 24, out of my own want for religion and my finding a place that fit me, personally.

BTW the Nazi's also adapted the swastika from another ancient religion and used the eagle to represent values in much the same way as the US uses the eagle to symbolize its values.

If you really want to see interesting, and sickening, stuff check out how the extremist Muslim's are re-using much of the symbolism that the Nazi party used in prior to and during WWII to demonize and dehumanize both Christian and especially Jewish persons.

oh yeah, lots of our (roman catholic) traditions (small t) are taken from other religions/tradtions. christmas...roman winter solstice celebration, the christmas tree. uh something with st pats...? obviously have the closest ties to the jewish traditions.

...your first statement.. the pentagram has several possible meanings, only 1 or 2 could be linked to "devil cults" like the media makes it portrayed. (looked up on wikipedia)

meh. one can be spiritual and religious, but you sure as hell don't have to do everything your religion says you should do. it's ok to disagree with certain things.

its all about whether you agree or disagree with the big picture and sometimes you need to ignore the minutia that goes with it. Too many folks use examples like this minutia as a crutch to automatically disagree with the big picture.

Edited by regfootball

I know I should let this slide by, but I just can't.

My view is simple:

Religion is the problem.

what you don't think south park was right? hail science! :lol: just kiddin

maybe this thread has allready crossed the lobby rules?

As a Christian myself:

The problem really is that many of US don't understand our own faith before we proclaim it. The problem isn't religion... it is human nature. Don't ignore truth even when its being told by a hipocrite. It doesn't change the fact that it is truth!

That being said, I find the attacks on "religion" and associated parishoners as Nazi's offensive. Please stop.

I don't think anyone is equating Nazis and parishoners. The Nazis were an evil unto themselves which co-opted symbols of much older traditions and unfortunately corrupted them for all who came after.

With that said, I can understand the discomfort of an outsider at a highly traditional worship service.

I don't think anyone is equating Nazis and parishoners.

Dodgefan is, he clearly stated that he was attending Mass, then he post a pic of Germans in a Nazi salute.

The inference is, Catholics follow their preist as Nazis followed Hitler. I feel this post is inappropriate on this type of forum.

Seems to me it was a natural reaction to an unfamiliar situation, and the image that the experience raised in his mind was a consequence of association.

If Dodgefan had said " Catholics are Nazis" then I'd agree with you, but I don't think that was his intent. The unexpected gesture made a connection in his mind to something else entirely familiar, if unrelated.

Taking issue with my position on religion might be more appropriate as what I had to say is the product of a deliberate thought process while Dodgefan's was simply a reaction to stimulus.

To an outsider the hand gesture in question almost has to raise the thought of the Nazi salute.

In other words, if you can't put it into context you can easily get the wrong impression.

I respectfully disagree, as a German Catholic, I find his post both inappropriate and offensive, especially on Easter Sunday!

On that point I can see how you might feel that way. I now see your perspective on it a bit more clearly and I will oblige you by closing the thread.

I'm sorry to see it go as I enjoy this type of discussion (as long as it remains civil) but in this instance that is trumped by respect.