Oh No Blackviper, Looks like Gas Will Be 4 Bucks A Gallon

The ripple effect on the economy will be bad, so I can't believe that some answered that they didn't change their habits much as a result of gas prices when I put out that poll. People will drive less, recreate less, frequent fewer restaurants and stores, and on and on. Things will cost more because of the cost to transport them. Yeah, some will get "fat and happy" from the increase, but most will suffer. Not good.

$40/gallon is when I'll be considering driving the Datsun MORE and Buick less.

Go for it, guys. Stick it to Big Oil - let them drown in surplus oil. I will be doing the same thing once things warm up in the morning. I'm training to ride 100 miles in May, so a 7 mile commute to work I can practially do sleeping. If you're serious and need help picking out a bike or learning to ride effectively, send me a PM.

I don't need something for long range travel. I'll just use the Cobalt if I ever travel out of town.

It's the runs into town for groceries and crap that waste the most fuel (mile for mile, that is). And those would be perfect for a neighborhood electric vehicle. Or better yet, a good ol' mountain bike.

Of course, convincing my wife to use a bike instead of the car will be much more difficult.

Thanks Mr. Z28. Those are nice machines. I may need your advice on bike riding. I used to mountain bike when I was a kid. I still have a mongoose Mountain Bike, which is about 4 years old. I do not think it will be a good idea to ride 7 miles to work though.

I don't need something for long range travel. I'll just use the Cobalt if I ever travel out of town.

It's the runs into town for groceries and crap that waste the most fuel (mile for mile, that is). And those would be perfect for a neighborhood electric vehicle. Or better yet, a good ol' mountain bike.

Of course, convincing my wife to use a bike instead of the car will be much more difficult.

If you're talking about less than 10 miles each way for a trip, a mountain bike will be OK. Longer trips will set your quads on fire. An old school steel-framed 10 speed road bike is probably perfect for a commuter. There are some phenomenal deals on bikes on craigslist. Keep your eye out - so many people spend a ton on a bike, ride it for a season or less before deciding they hate it and want to unload it. I found an $800 Schwinn mountain bike, ridden 4x, for $200. And 10 speeds are plentiful - whatever you've got in your pocket is enough to snag one.

I was planning on getting a bike anyway to exercise in the summer...this will just reinforce that plan. It sucks nonetheless. They are so full of $h! that they "can't keep up". It's excuse after excuse as to why they jack the prices up. Next "Uh, I took a $h! in the oil...we're gonna have to raise prices so we can cover the funding to clean it."

$4 a gallon? Luxury! We have been paying that for 18 months now! Wait until gasoline hits $8 a gallon, then you're talking!

Oh I didn't say I told you so, that is not my style, leftlanenews did. I'm saving my told you so for a more important upcoming failure! :yes:

No... You linked to an article about speculation. The "I told you so" was in your post, you just indirectly said it by referring me to them. Yeah. Nice tactics. :huh::P

O joy....the summer my buick will finally hit the road.

Eh, its all speculation...unless the govt does it to push automakers to make better mpg

But the beauty of your Buick as well as my Camaros and all other classic cars on the road is that they are not driven daily.

A friend of mine keeps asking "So, you ready to get rid of those Camaros yet, fuel must be costing a fortune." To which I reply: "No, my fuel costs are fine since I only drive them one or two weekends a month."

My only worry is that the greenie douchebags will try and eliminate classic cars altogether, but collectors have so many lobbyists and allies in Washington (Not to mention they contribute LESS to pollution) that I don't ever see anything drastic happening (I hope, at least)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Good thing I decided to go for the slightly more expensive apartment in Des Moines rather than living in Ames this summer. The apartment will be about 5 miles from where I work vs. 35 miles from Ames. So a 10 mile round trip per day vs. 70 mile round trip @ $4/gallon...I think I made the right choice!

An even better choice if you invest in a $40 Huffy and ride to work. I wish I could ride my bike back and forth to work, but the 17 miles each way with no real bike paths make it a bad idea. I'd rather not get hit by a car, that seems like it would suck.